[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

The K.S.S. Kolony (2.0 here): biggest ship ever built by kermanity.

108.9 m long, capable of carrying 75 kerbals to distant worlds.

KSS%20KOLONY.png?dl=1

*This vessel is part of the upcoming K.S.S. lore. // Jool and Voon visible.

Edited by StarCrusher96

15 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I think I can see Jool and Voon...

Also, what do you mean by 'part of the upcoming lore'?

18 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

KSS%20KOLONY.png?dl=1

Oh my lord... So... Epic.

18 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

KSS%20KOLONY.png?dl=1

Whoa! The mother of all mother ships! :o

2 hours ago, EricL said:

I think I can see Jool and Voon...

Also, what do you mean by 'part of the upcoming lore'?

Jool is just to the right of Kerbin as a green dot, and Voon is the pale orange dot just above Mun.

The lore for KSS is basically the explanation for all the mysteries in the KSS Universe. It will explain The All, The Creator, and why there are no other intelligent species in KSS. The KSS Team has a whole story written that explains the whole thing. In 0.7, there will be a science part implemented that the player will have to use to find parts of the story, but it'll be difficult, because the player has to land in a certain biome or get into orbit around a certain planet just to get a piece of the story.

The KSS Kolony, K.I.X., and the KSS Starchaser are also a part of the lore, but they're kind of like a DLC, showing the exploration taken by the kerbals :P

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Jool is just to the right of Kerbin as a green dot, and Voon is the pale orange dot just above Mun.

The lore for KSS is basically the explanation for all the mysteries in the KSS Universe. It will explain The All, The Creator, and why there are no other intelligent species in KSS. The KSS Team has a whole story written that explains the whole thing. In 0.7, there will be a science part implemented that the player will have to use to find parts of the story, but it'll be difficult, because the player has to land in a certain biome or get into orbit around a certain planet just to get a piece of the story.

The KSS Kolony, K.I.X., and the KSS Starchaser are also a part of the lore, but they're kind of like a DLC, showing the exploration taken by the kerbals :P

Basically a treasure hunt around the KSS Universe to get people motivated to reach for the stars. :)

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

I LOVE THIS CONCEPT!! So excited to see it implemented! Love the added purpose an the added missions!

6 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I LOVE THIS CONCEPT!! So excited to see it implemented! Love the added purpose an the added missions!

It will be very difficult. The lore biomes in most cases will be very very small, and located in various different planets scattered across different systems in a random order.

We're still perfecting the actual part that will be implemented and I think it will be pretty resource-intensive and bulky to discourage being able to just send nano probes everywhere to find them.

Edited by Greatness101

5 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

It will be very difficult. The lore biomes in most cases will be very very small, and located in various different planets scattered across different systems in a random order.

We're still perfecting the actual part that will be implemented and I think it will be pretty resource-intensive and bulky to discourage being able to just send nano probes everywhere to find them.

And the storyline has 63 parts to it, and there are only going to be a few places with more than one part, so really only about half of the bodies in KSS 0.7 will have anything that will contribute to the storyline, and some of these bodies are going to be difficult ones to land on :wink:

11 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

Thats awesome! Will These story missions yield funds and science?

EDIT: Also will these story missions be career progression friendly? Like Some story missions in the Kerbol System if I'm still early on in my career?.. Getting to another star system is far later in career

Edited by Voodoo8648

12 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Thats awesome! Will These story missions yield funds and science?

EDIT: Also will these story missions be career progression friendly? Like Some story missions in the Kerbol System if I'm still early on in my career?.. Getting to another star system is far later in career

The lore part is a science part, so it should yield some science and funds.

As far as career progression friendly goes, the plan is to try and get the part to cost a lot of science, so much that you shouldn't be able to unlock it until you have a thriving interstellar program. There are plans to have some parts of the lore within the Kerbol System, however, so you would have to go back to some of the planets to get some of the story found, but it's mostly just stuff to fill in the gaps. The harder it is to get to the body, the more crucial the lore fragment is.

12 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

The lore part is a science part, so it should yield some science and funds.

As far as career progression friendly goes, the plan is to try and get the part to cost a lot of science, so much that you shouldn't be able to unlock it until you have a thriving interstellar program. There are plans to have some parts of the lore within the Kerbol System, however, so you would have to go back to some of the planets to get some of the story found, but it's mostly just stuff to fill in the gaps. The harder it is to get to the body, the more crucial the lore fragment is.

I had already written most of this before you sent that, but it may expand upon or improve career progression and the unlocking process:

Im not sure how story missions are technically structured, But I just had a thought for methodically implementing this for career mode progression:

Perhaps, story missions could be unlocked via spending science points on a new "technology" in the tech tree... 

For example; early in my career, there is a tech that costs 500 science to unlock the first story mission Contract in the Mission Control Building. That contract sends me to wherever your story mission exists (hopefully somewhere reasonably close in the Kerbol System early in career like Duna or Bop ). Upon completion of that story contract, The reward is like 1,500 science and a good funds reward as well. So basically that story mission was also an investment. It cost 500 science to unlock that story but I'm rewarded with a 1,000 science profit...enough to unlock the next story contract. The next contract sends me further out into the Kerbol system, perhaps to a Jool or Voon moon, and this contract costs 1,000 science to unlock via the tech tree.....

Basically that above contract progression allows you to go further out and eventually to other star systems.

Edited by Voodoo8648

6 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I had already written most of this before you sent that, but it may expand upon or improve career progression and the unlocking process:

Im not sure how story missions are technically structured, But I just had a thought for methodically implementing this for career mode progression:

Perhaps, story missions could be unlocked via spending science points on a new "technology" in the tech tree... 

For example; early in my career, there is a tech that costs 500 science to unlock the first story mission Contract in the Mission Control Building. That contract sends me to wherever your story mission exists (hopefully somewhere reasonably close in the Kerbol System early in career like Duna or Bop ). Upon completion of that story contract, The reward is like 1,500 science and a good funds reward as well. So basically that story mission was also an investment. It cost 500 science to unlock that story but I'm rewarded with a 1,000 science profit...enough to unlock the next story contract. The next contract sends me further out into the Kerbol system, perhaps to a Jool or Voon moon, and this contract costs 1,000 science to unlock via the tech tree.....

Basically that above contract progression allows you to go further out and eventually to other star systems.

Well, what the KSS Team is seeing right now is that the Lore is basically an end-game goal, especially considering how costly it would be to get these missions done.

I can say, however, that your idea is already something the KSS Team has considered, and the lore part is definitely not the only lore-related thing that's gonna be implemented into 0.7. We have a few lore-related planets, and a few easter eggs that could definitely be found well before the part is unlocked.

6 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Well, what the KSS Team is seeing right now is that the Lore is basically an end-game goal, especially considering how costly it would be to get these missions done.

I can say, however, that your idea is already something the KSS Team has considered, and the lore part is definitely not the only lore-related thing that's gonna be implemented into 0.7. We have a few lore-related planets, and a few easter eggs that could definitely be found well before the part is unlocked.

Man.... It would be REALLY REALLY nice to integrate the story missions into career progression from the start of career... Not just an end game thing, but a whole new purpose to ksp from the beginning.

Edited by Voodoo8648

3 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Man.... It would be REALLY REALLY nice to integrate the story missions into career progression from the start of career... Not just an end game thing, bit a whole new purpose to ksp from the beginning.

As I said, there are a few easter eggs that the player might be able to find during their expedition. Some of these easter eggs will be accessible in the Kerbol System :wink:

31 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Man.... It would be REALLY REALLY nice to integrate the story missions into career progression from the start of career... Not just an end game thing, but a whole new purpose to ksp from the beginning.

Considering the sheer number of available biomes and science points available in this mod I really don't think it will be that hard to finish the science tree before exiting the Kerbol System :P

3 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

Considering the sheer number of available biomes and science points available in this mod I really don't think it will be that hard to finish the science tree before exiting the Kerbol System :P

Believe this or not, after all these years and countless hours of playing KSP, I have never landed a kerbal on Duna or ventured an unmanned probe beyond Duna orbit in career. The reason is because of the endless updates squad is continually producing and/or essential mods have major bugs that won't be updated until next ksp update, ect... I've lost count of how many times I've restarted career. 

The furthest I've got in career was an unmanned probe in orbit around Duna and was designing a manned mission when a major KSP update was announced and all my mods had to be updated to the new version and had to restart career. In my current career, I have not yet landed a kerbal on the Mun but ready to do that soon lol

On 8/1/2017 at 10:15 AM, AR3S_TGL said:

Yea...

KSS

OPM

Hot Jool

Arkas

Ascelpus

GPP

I want to see your GameData... And are all of these (except GPP) orbiting Kerbol?

Spoiler

It looks like this, doesn't it.

From Kerbal Impossible Star System

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, Saltshaker said:

This might just be interpreted as "literally insane" but would you consider working with Gameslinx and somehow integrate his excellent planet pack into KSS? Perhaps as a seperate system?

I gotta sort out some bugs with compatibility. (also my pack uses a lot of RAM, you probably need a lot for KSS and this :P )