[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

6 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

The other thing to consider is that KSS has focused its design intent on replicating the look and feel of the real world star systems and various heavenly bodies. This extends itself to not only how most of the planets and moons look like in terms of textures and colours as well as shapes, but also to how various star systems are set up. @StarCrusher96, myself, @Greatness101 and @TheSpacePotato have repeatedly referenced and used real world items to draw inspiration from throughout the development phases. Though not all items in the Kerbol system reflect this (Jool as you pointed out), the vast majority of what you'll find greatly reflects the actual solar system we live in, albeit while still maintaining a certain degree of artistic license.
I can understand how not having something you've come accustomed to (such as a purple Eve) can be off-putting, but @StarCrusher96 and the rest of us have put in some time and effort at producing what we believe will be (and is) one of the best, if not the best planet pack out there available for KSP and will redefine the planet pack standard hence forth, and our hope is that whatever is ''lost'' from the changes we bring will be more than overcome by everything else KSS brings to the game. We're constantly working at improving it in every way. We're a small group of very dedicated individuals, some of us with and some of us without talent... :P but you can be sure KSS, when fully done, is gonna be like nothing else. 

Anyways, just some food for thought! Thanks for your comments and feedback. 

I see. I suppose I could get used to it.

4 hours ago, RobFalcon said:

Any chance we can get a sneak-peak of the new and old Kerbin textures side-by-side?  :)  I can never be too hyped for this update!  (It will absolutely be the subject of a future playthrough!)

Spoiler

Old (stock):

TinyKerbin.png

New:

LKlOS2v.png

Basically the general continent shapes and geography is the same, but we're adding more mountain ranges, new rivers, and impact craters. This is to "spice up" good ol' Kerbin and make it a little more enjoyable, but not too much so that it's still recognizable.

6 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

Basically the general continent shapes and geography is the same, but we're adding more mountain ranges, new rivers, and impact craters. This is to "spice up" good ol' Kerbin and make it a little more enjoyable, but not too much so that it's still recognizable.

I see what you mean!  :)  It's subtle, but yeah, going between I can see the changes.  Thanks much!

Again, very much looking forward to 0.7!

1 hour ago, Scotskerb said:

Is it possible that you could add a compatibility patch for New Horizons? It's a really amazing mod that gives a similar feel to Galileo's Planet Pack, and also one of my absolute favorite mods. Combining it with this mod would make it 100x better!

Compatibility with other planet packs isn't high on our priorities right now. But if Starcrusher thinks it's worth his time then it might happen.

If we were to add compatibility the planets would appear around a distant star, not the home system. It's basically what we did for GPP compatibility (GPO and OPM compatibility is planned as well).

Edited by Greatness101

2 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

Is it possible that you could add a compatibility patch for New Horizons? It's a really amazing mod that gives a similar feel to Galileo's Planet Pack, and also one of my absolute favorite mods. Combining it with this mod would make it 100x better!

Right now, only GPP, GPO, and OPM are planned to be compatible with KSS in 0.7, each with their own system. At the moment, New Horizons isn't planned to be compatible with KSS in the near future. However, New Horizons is one of my favorite planet packs (after KSS, of course :P), and was my favorite before discovering KSS. Because of this, it is possible that New Horizons would eventually become compatible with KSS in the future.

2 hours ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Right now, only GPP, GPO, and OPM are planned to be compatible with KSS in 0.7, each with their own system. At the moment, New Horizons isn't planned to be compatible with KSS in the near future. However, New Horizons is one of my favorite planet packs (after KSS, of course :P), and was my favorite before discovering KSS. Because of this, it is possible that New Horizons would eventually become compatible with KSS in the future.

What if you created some optional patches that would each put one of the compatible planet packs in the Kerbol System?

33 minutes ago, Scotskerb said:

What if you created some optional patches that would each put one of the compatible planet packs in the Kerbol System?

That's not likely going to happen, sorry. The Kerbol System is made to be an analogue for the real solar system (hence so many of the bodies around Kerbol looking familiar), and adding new planets would make the system gravitationally unstable, let alone a bit hectic with the crowding of bodies. Especially with OPM, which has almost the exact same orbits as Voon, Oran, Naal and Kel. Moving the other packs around a new star is just an easier solution, which makes the game just as enjoyable for players who love both packs.

36 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

That's not likely going to happen, sorry. The Kerbol System is made to be an analogue for the real solar system (hence so many of the bodies around Kerbol looking familiar), and adding new planets would make the system gravitationally unstable, let alone a bit hectic with the crowding of bodies. Especially with OPM, which has almost the exact same orbits as Voon, Oran, Naal and Kel. Moving the other packs around a new star is just an easier solution, which makes the game just as enjoyable for players who love both packs.

I think Scotskerb means allowing the Kerbol System's planets to be replaced with another planet pack, in this case replacing the Kerbol System with New Horizons, while still using the other star systems in the mod.

1 hour ago, RobFalcon said:

I think Scotskerb means allowing the Kerbol System's planets to be replaced with another planet pack, in this case replacing the Kerbol System with New Horizons, while still using the other star systems in the mod.

8 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Sorry, not going to happen. 

I mean, if you want it to be the home system so badly you could ask the makers of New Horizons to write a patch for KSS, because it's not going to happen the other way around.

Or you could write a patch yourself... or use hyperedit... :P

I think this should go on the front page:

Always ask other planet pack developers to incorporate KSS before asking KSS developers to incorporate other planet packs

Especially if you want to replace the home system, because we're not going to to that for you.

Starcrusher is pretty busy with this mod, so besides GPP, GPO, and OPM if any other planet pack wants compatibility with KSS it would be great if they could provide the compatibility patch, not us. Thank you.

6 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

Starcrusher is pretty busy with this mod, so besides GPP, GPO, and OPM if any other planet pack wants compatibility with KSS it would be great if they could provide the compatibility patch, not us. Thank you.

Makes sense to me. ☺️ Just wanted to help make sure the question was understood.

I'm looking forward to seeing the revised Kerbol System. It'll be a good blend of old and new, seeing as I'm just now getting around to exploring the full stock system.