[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

32 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

I believe if you right click on the engine and press the "Shutdown Engine" button it stops, but once you turn it back on it'll keep the same thrust :P

Yeah, pretty much as I'd seen.  :)  I'll just need to practice.

And/or, pack some 'maneuvering engines' to handle the last few dV.  Once I can really delve into things, I'll see how well the strategy works.

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Well @ProtoJeb21 and I tested each others Trappist analog.

I already made a neutron star for KSS part 2,  so to answer your question.

KSS includes one.

I only see white dwarf stars. No pulsars.

Also, the "Kelnis System Just Released" confused me and made me believe that you had actually added in a completely new star system just then. I haven't played KSP with KSS in a while.

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

The Kelnis is a TRAPPIST-1 analogue, and it was one of the first to be released in KSP. KSS is also one of the only planet packs with:

• An Alpha Centauri system analogue (Nova Kirbani System)
  • A Siruis "analogue" (Kerolon System)
  • A brown dwarf system analogue

...and will soon have a system analogue of:

• A dying star
  • Polaris C
  • 30 Arietis

KSS is also the only planet pack with something like The All or The Creator, and one of the few packs with a developed lore. If your point is about originality (with the TRAPPIST-1 analogue), you fell short of pointing out about all the other systems that you really can't find in other planet packs.

I should also mention that KSS will have pulsars, and maybe even planets around it.

We need to finish getting KSS compatible with Kerbalism first, but when it's done we might add a few definitions :P

Good point, but how many planets in KSS are not unique? @StarCrusher96 essentially made his own version of OPM planets. The All is probably the coolest thing about the mod, but please stop updating TRAPPIST ONE! In my opinion, TRAPPIST ONE is an uninhabitable radiation pool. Red dwarfs kill off life (UV Ceti type stars).

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

It's not hard, actually. The only thing we need to do right now is move the magnetosphere directions, which are all facing The All. Since Kerbalism now adds the ability to move them, compatibility should be ready soon. You can check here to see what other mods might become compatible with KSS, and if you think we should add compatibility to a mod let us know in the comments on that page :)

I don't think worrying about food supply when traveling between stars is a great idea . . .

18 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

Good point, but how many planets in KSS are not unique? @StarCrusher96 essentially made his own version of OPM planets. The All is probably the coolest thing about the mod, but please stop updating TRAPPIST ONE! In my opinion, TRAPPIST ONE is an uninhabitable radiation pool. Red dwarfs kill off life (UV Ceti type stars).

@StarCrusher96 didn't make his version of the OPM planets, both the OPM planets and the KSS outer planets are based off of the real life planets Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, as well as their moons. This mod just made more analogues and made the planets differently.

The only thing that updated with the Kelnis System in this mod is the biomes and shaders. And although TRAPPIST-1 is uninhabitable, the life in the Kelnis System is surprisingly resistant, which you can read about on this page. When the lore is fully released, it'll hint at how some planets around red dwarfs have managed life :wink:

And, as far as originality goes, there are a lot of concepts which have already been seen in other planet mods. To me, I think the redeeming quality this mod has is execution. Any mod can add a desert planet or another planet with life, but how good is it? That's the question.

Edited by TheSpacePotato

50 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

Wow I see your point now. I guess we shouldn't have made the Kerbol System, either. He basically just copied the stock planets, am I right?

Oh yeah, I guess Karkua is copying the Kargantua mod, so we should get rid of that too.

Also since there's a ton of Alpha Centauri mods out there I guess we should get rid of the Nova Kirbani system as well.

Actually, now that I think of it, so many planet packs add new planets that it's starting to get old. I think we should get rid of all the extra planets as well.

From now on KSS will be known as Kerbol Stock System.

Happy now?

(If you don't like Trappist one then don't download the Kelnis System. It's that simple. We're not going to stop updating it because one user decided it was redundant)

Edited by Greatness101

2 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

Consider this. :wink: This rendition of TRAPPIST-1 just came out. It's fresh, it's been a long time coming, and it will definitely look better, meanwhile every other TRAPPIST-alike mod is likely dead and gone along with the hype train. As part of KSS there's something more to it.

Between this Kelnis system and the rest of KSS there's a degree of consistency that can't be matched when you build your own galaxy by mixing planet mods from various authors. Wherever KSS may lack in "originality" it makes up for with unity and with the story and science mini-game that involves The All. Every star and planet are made by the same team here. So everything blends together perfectly and simply works.

5 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I’ve been working on it but as @Galileo said, Kerbalism is not really supporting multiple star systems.

Then just make your own (crappy) version of Kerbalism. Since Kerbalism DOES NOT work with any interstellar planet pack, I believe that it is justified to make at least something. While this might seem like a contradiction to my statements about not redoing the Kerbol system, it is not. The justification is that it is possible to make a patch for OPM and get the planets to orbit Kerbol in KSS; however, it is impossible to get Kerbalism to work with KSS or any interplanetary mod. In order to get something, there will be some redoing.

In a hypothetical Kerbalism replacement, you might not want to worry about food supply when on such a lengthy interstellar trip. However, the radiation from stars might kill your crew. For instance, Kelnis is likely similar to a UV Ceti type variable; it often releases CME's that kill things!

The black hole in KSS is pretty cool, but I'm curious if It can be made more realistic in close encounters. The graphics for it are already amazing, but the last time I checked, it did not rip your ships apart from tidal forces.

Again, I will be happy to help you code up the C# files for the crappy Kerbalism replacement.

9 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

Wow I see your point now. I guess we shouldn't have made the Kerbol System, either. He basically just copied the stock planets, am I right?

Oh yeah, I guess Karkua is copying the Kargantua mod, so we should get rid of that too.

Also since there's a ton of Alpha Centauri mods out there I guess we should get rid of the Nova Kirbani system as well.

Actually, now that I think of it, so many planet packs add new planets that it's starting to get old. I think we should get rid of all the extra planets as well.

From now on KSS will be known as Kerbol Stock System.

Happy now?

(If you don't like Trappist one then don't download the Kelnis System. It's that simple. We're not going to stop updating it because one user decided it was redundant)

I am the kind of person who often points out absurd priorities in certain planets. I don't download the Kelnis system for my own reasons, but I would like to see @StarCrusher96 make a neutron star system instead of spending most of his time upgrading TRAPPIST One systems. 

Also, the space police (IAU) has probably bugged you about this: "Alpha Centauri" is not the official name for the nearest star system anymore. The IAU renamed the system around the same time Proxima Cen. b was discovered. The new, official name is "Rigel Kentarus." Look, they used a "K."

@UranianBlue

So KSS is another crappy mod? As stated on page 1. This is not a finished mod and I take my time to work out everything. Karkua is not yet finished, be patient and you’ll see what i’ve planned for this black hole.

I’d like to know where you read that Trappist-1 is an UV Ceti type variable? I can’t remember reading that about this system.

And for the same reason everybody calls Alpha Canis Majoris, Sirius. I’ll keep using Alpha Centauri.

Edited by StarCrusher96

7 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@UranianBlue

So my work is crap? 

I’d like to know where you read that Trappist-1 is an UV Ceti type variable?

For the same reason everybody calls Alpha Canis Majoris, Sirius. I’ll keep using Alpha Centauri.

I don't think your work is "crap." Your textures are amazing, better than anything I could make. However, I just hate TRAPPIST One for the same reason I hate Mars.

Also, finding UV Ceti variables is hard. The term "UV Ceti" variable means "flare star" now. This means that all UV Ceti variables are irregular, and that their flare events are transient. It is well understood that flare stars. The K2 Kepler Space Telescope extension found several intense flare events coming from the star, which is typical for ultra-cool M type stars. Here's the paper I read. The implications indicate that the TRAPPIST One system could be uninhabitable:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.10130.pdf

The IAU disagrees. Also, by your logic, Rigel should be called Alpha Orionis. However, its not. When the IAU renames an object, that's the new official name.

please make a neutron star system.

@UranianBlue

Well i’ve got some reasons to make Kelnis a habitable system + the views are awesome from these planets. 

After Part 2 gets released (and that’s getting closer). I’ll work on other star systems. There are exotic destinations on my list.

Edited by StarCrusher96

Just now, StarCrusher96 said:

@UranianBlue

Well i’ve got some reason to make Kelnis a habitable system + the views are awesome from these planets. 

After Part 2 gets released (and that’s getting closer). I’ll work on other star systems. There are exotic destinations on my list.

cool, but how are you going to get Kerbalism to work? I've already started working on a crappy version of Kerbalism (with humor) for my own interstellar KSP mods. Would you be interested in trying it when it's done?

11 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

cool, but how are you going to get Kerbalism to work? I've already started working on a crappy version of Kerbalism (with humor) for my own interstellar KSP mods. Would you be interested in trying it when it's done?

If you’re able to add radiation (-belts), flares (CME’s), and all the aspects that are related to interstellar travel at a semi/almost-realistic level. I’d be interested. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

12 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

If you’re able to add radiation (-belts), flares (CME’s), and all the aspects that are related to interstellar travel at a semi/almost-realistic level. I’d be interested. 

As for humor, the food containers will be radially attached Kerbal Vending Machines.

Just now, StarCrusher96 said:

Will everything look like stock parts? I’ll keep an eye on your mod.

I can include stock looking parts, as well as a part that looks like a vending machine. There needs to be something funny in every mod.

2 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

I can include stock looking parts, as well as a part that looks like a vending machine. There needs to be something funny in every mod.

I would be available for testing. But please remember, KSS is a pretty serious mod and designed for realism (in a kerbalized way). I currently use TAC Life Support, but if a new Kerbalism will be better then I may consider switching. 

Also, food can still be relevant regarding interstellar travel. If we built a large colony ship designed for multi generation travel using conventional rockets or near future rockets, then perhaps there's on board greenhouses or food supply for multiple generations of kerbals. Do not discount the need for food while traveling to other stars.

31 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I would be available for testing. But please remember, KSS is a pretty serious mod and designed for realism (in a kerbalized way). I currently use TAC Life Support, but if a new Kerbalism will be better then I may consider switching. 

Also, food can still be relevant regarding interstellar travel. If we built a large colony ship designed for multi generation travel using conventional rockets or near future rockets, then perhaps there's on board greenhouses or food supply for multiple generations of kerbals. Do not discount the need for food while traveling to other stars.

Is there a mod that adds a lifespan to kerbals?

29 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Not that I'm currently aware of, but I was speaking conceptually. Maybe kerbalkind hasn't yet developed the technology to crogenically freeze kerbals but has developed the technology to achieve a sizeable percentage of the speed of light and will require multiple (conceptual) generations to reach a destination exoplanet.

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Roster manager. It’s configurab too. You can decide how long the live and how old they are to begin with.

Edited by Galileo

Is it safe to assume that part 2 of KSS will not break compatibility with existing save games? Or is it better to wait for the full release and then start a new game?

Also, could anyone explain to me how interstellar void is implemented? I can not see any orbits for solar systems. Do they have static coordinates and never move or just move very slowly?

If I am to setup an interstellar satellite network, can I leave retransmitters safely in between stars?

Edited by Mine_Turtle

28 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Is it safe to assume that part 2 of KSS will not break compatibility with existing save games? Or is it better to wait for the full release and then start a new game?

Also, could anyone explain to me how interstellar void is implemented? I can not see any orbits for solar systems. Do they have static coordinates and never move or just move very slowly?

If I am to setup an interstellar satellite network, can I leave retransmitters safely in between stars?

Nothing will be broken by part 2.

The stars move very slowly in different directions. (Around 60m/s). And I made the orbits invisible. You can leave retransmitters safely behind but just need to keep them out of the sphere of influence of nearby stars. Some spheres almost touch each other.