[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

Narath

Narath_0-0.png?dl=1

Spoiler

Narath is a tidally locked planet with a large landmass on the substellar point, making the daylight side uncomfortably hot and the night time side unbearably cold. But there is a strip of habitable land and sea just before the terminator, where strange alien creatures and plants can survive. Because Kernim, its host star, is a red dwarf, life has suffered many challenges to survive. For starters, to absorb as much light as possible, plants on the surface have developed a dark red hue. Life also has to make up for the large quantities of sun flares coming from Kernim, blasting large amounts of radiation onto the surface. Life has survived, nonetheless.

It is likely that Narath is able to sustain plate tectonics, as bits of ancient frozen vegetation have been found on the ice cap. This has led scientists to believe that there may be evidence of life all over the planet, found in small oases or hardened up to thrive in these conditions.

Laho

Laho_0.7.jpg?dl=1

Spoiler

Laho is the 7th and largest moon orbiting around the gasgiant Voon. It is also the only moon in the Kerbol System (other than Tropical Laythe, if installed) to have a dense atmosphere and stable liquids on the surface.

Laho has always been a target for exploration since it was found to have a dense atmosphere. It's been a challenge to observe the surface, however, due to its dense haze. Because of this, it took a long time before scientists were able to identify lakes of liquid methane on the surface. This only made the excitement around this moon even greater, as scientists are now eager to see if Laho has any methane-based life.

8 hours ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Laho

Laho_0.7.jpg?dl=1

Hide contents

Laho is the 7th and largest moon orbiting around the gasgiant Voon. It is also the only moon in the Kerbol System (other than Tropical Laythe, if installed) to have a dense atmosphere and stable liquids on the surface.

Laho has always been a target for exploration since it was found to have a dense atmosphere. It's been a challenge to observe the surface, however, due to its dense haze. Because of this, it took a long time before scientists were able to identify lakes of liquid methane on the surface. This only made the excitement around this moon even greater, as scientists are now eager to see if Laho has any methane-based life.

7th!? 7th moon out of 7!? That's a lot of moons! (Not complaining)

1 hour ago, Saltshaker said:

No, I'm pretty sure Ike is/was a moon of Duna. Although if Ike does orbit Voon, that's fine by me.

Ike has always orbited Voon in KSS. It's the Iapetus analogue in the system. Duna is orbited by Bop and Gilly.

Spoiler

This is what Ike looks like in KSS :P

Ike.jpg?dl=1

15 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

I think he meant relative to the stock game :P

Probably, but KSS completely changes every body in the stock system, so this isn't really a tread to talk about that. Of course, Ike used to orbit Duna, but as i said, used to...

Also @StarCrusher96How is development on KSS going? Like what can we expect and all that stuff™

Edited by GenesisPlayz

1 hour ago, GenesisPlayz said:

Also @StarCrusher96How is development on KSS going? Like what can we expect and all that stuff™

On 8/21/2017 at 10:20 AM, TheSpacePotato said:

Want to see what 0.7 is going to bring? Keep reading and find out!

Reveal hidden contents

In honor of the Great American Eclipse, the KSS Team has decided to grant you the ability to see some of the stuff in 0.7! And since @StarCrusher96 is doing work right now, I've been tasked with giving you a list of what to see!

• Kerbol System
    • Chur - An analogue of comet Churyumov Gerasimenko
    • Thes - A Proteus analogue
    • Nian - A Titania analogue
    • Ilum - a moon of Hypat
    • Nyla has been turned into an analogue of Nereid
    • Kerbin gets a new texture
      • The new texture looks like stock Kerbin, but has different features like mountain ranges, volcanoes, etc.
    • A bunch of retextures!
  • Kerolon System
    • Completed Kerolon System
    • Etim - Scorched rocky world
    • Retextured Ceth
    • Retextured Hetoo
      • Clorum - Moon of Hetoo
    • Olve - Moon of Rilna
    • Isen - Another moon of Rilna
    • Aquel gets a set of rings
      • An asteroid moon
      • Nil 
      • Mer
    • Retextured Mesmo
      • Iave - Pol-like moon of Mesmo
      • A subsatellite around one of the moons
      • More moons! Still InDev
    • Retextured Lyrne
      • Tesyl - Trytho-like moon of Lyrne
      • More moons InDev!
  • Planet around The All
  • A Rogue Planet (may be bumped to a future update)
  • Visual Improvements
    • Uses current version of EVE instead of the old one
    • Make sure to look closely at the gas giants (phys-warp helps)
  • More sciencedefs!
    • Tylo
    • Vall
    • Minmus
    • Eeloo
    • Voon
    • Laho
    • Oran
    • Naal
    • Kel
    • Hypat
    • Kirb, Kelin, Kernim
    • Blalo
    • Narath
    • Taythe
    • Ilve
    • Mirn
    • Alva
    • Vael
    • More to come!
  • A bunch of new stars!
    • These stars will act as "gravity walls" to make travel a bit more difficult
    • These stars will have no planets, but some are made to be compatible with other mods
    • Kerman's Star
    • Kilise (compatible with GPO)
    • Kiro (compatible with GPP)
    • Kerlanes (compatible with OPM)
    • Karkua
    • Kirimo
    • More to come!
  • Lore
    • Basic implementation of the Lore using custom sciencedefs
    • The player will need to use a part to go and find these fragments of the story
    • Look for the black pyramids!
  • Compatibility with more mods!
    • When a compatible planet pack is installed with KSS, the planets will move to a new star
    • GPP will move around Kiro
    • GPO will move around Kilise
    • OPM will move around Kerlanes
    • More planet pack compatibility planned for the future!
  • A bunch of bug fixes!

Now for spoilers!

Reveal hidden contents

Chur

Chur.jpg?dl=1

New Mesmo

Mesmo-0.png?dl=1

Iave

Iave_INDEV.png?dl=1

Isen

Isen.png?dl=1

The revamped Kerbin

screenshot33.png?dl=1

The black pyramids you need to look for

screenshot29.png?dl=1

The new science part! Currently, it requires DMagic's Science Mod to work, but we're going to get it to be standalone

3C1kB2y.jpg?dl=1

Data revealed by the K.I.X. during experiments over the Nova Kirbani planets

BlaloInSpaceHigh = It looks a lot like Kerbin. Blalo could definitely be a new home for kerbalkind.

NarathInSpaceLow = Narath seems to be tidally locked to Kernim, meaning that only one side faces the star at all times. That limits the amount of the surface that is actually habitable.

TaytheInSpaceHigh = It seems Taythe has smaller continents than Kerbin. It has a lot of islands, meaning that the life may be isolated and varied.

And the data collected after the KSS Anomalous landed on Blalo

28. Over time, they began to consume the resources of worlds outside their own system, exploring far and wide and studying every planet or moon they found in their stellar neighborhood. 

The last thing the KSS Team wants to announce is that we are working on a HUGE project for you guys, and it'll be released alongside 0.7. It's so big, it's been in development since March and still isn't finished :P

It's a bit outdated, but it's most of what to expect :P

Edited by TheSpacePotato
Updated the changelog

28 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

It's a bit outdated, but it's most of what to expect :P

Oh my, no wonder this takes so long! Really great job guys!

And now i'm curious of that big project :wink:

Edited by GenesisPlayz

35 minutes ago, GenesisPlayz said:

And now i'm curious of that big project :wink:

That big project is one of my favorite things to work on for KSS, along with sciencedefs. It's gonna be released along with 0.7, and is something that's gonna have to be constantly worked on. I've seen similar concepts with other mods, but I don't think any have put the effort we've put into our project :wink:

Just now, TheSpacePotato said:

That big project is one of my favorite things to work on for KSS, along with sciencedefs. It's gonna be released along with 0.7, and is something that's gonna have to be constantly worked on. I've seen similar concepts with other mods, but I don't think any have put the effort we've put into our project :wink:

Ooooh, that seems really cool! Thats all i need to know about how awesome it's gonna be :D

Esle

Esle_0.png?dl=1

Spoiler

Esle is the first planet orbiting Kelin, the secondary member of the Nova Kirbani System. It is a scorching-hot, molten lava planet orbiting very close to its parent star.

Esle is a large rocky planet bigger than Kerbin. It has significant geological activity, such as volcanism and possibly limited plate tectonics. Some of its masses of basalt appear to be influenced by the movements of plates or other internal geological effects. It is covered in many basalt continents. Some are the remnants of original terrain, while others are small islands made from volcanic activity. Most basalt continents have dunes made from crushed volcanic rock (basalt "sand"), along with huge hills.

Esle's climate is determined by its tidal locking to Kelin. One side of Esle always faces its host star, while the other side faces into interplanetary space. The majority of Esle's lava lakes occur on the planet's hottest point, the middle of the near-side hemisphere (the substellar point). Since the lakes are slightly offset, they cause a difference in heat and create violent winds. These winds are proven by the substantial atmosphere - the basalt dunes.

Despite the possible oxygen atmosphere, Esle is far too hellish for any forms of life. The atmosphere isn't thick enough for Kerbals to breathe. Plus, it is so hot on the surface a Kerbal would instantly overheat and pop. Esle's lava oceans can incinerate all types of parts, vessels, and Kerbals, making splashdowns impossible. Any ship that intends to survive here must have a lot of thermal radiators and produce as little heat as possible.

Just to be clear...(in case anyone was wondering)

Most of the time it's taking for KSS 0.7 to be completed is the actual revamp of the Kerolon System and converting to the KSP 1.3+.

The other stuff you see on the list (e.g. sciencedefs and *secret* project) is worked on in parallel, so it doesn't effect the development time as much because it's being worked on by different people.

Don't worry, these side projects will not postpone KSS 0.7 :P

Same goes for future updates (0.8, 0.9, 1.0)

On ‎14‎-‎9‎-‎2017 at 7:44 PM, TheSpacePotato said:

Esle

Esle_0.png?dl=1

Hide contents

Esle is the first planet orbiting Kelin, the secondary member of the Nova Kirbani System. It is a scorching-hot, molten lava planet orbiting very close to its parent star.

Esle is a large rocky planet bigger than Kerbin. It has significant geological activity, such as volcanism and possibly limited plate tectonics. Some of its masses of basalt appear to be influenced by the movements of plates or other internal geological effects. It is covered in many basalt continents. Some are the remnants of original terrain, while others are small islands made from volcanic activity. Most basalt continents have dunes made from crushed volcanic rock (basalt "sand"), along with huge hills.

Esle's climate is determined by its tidal locking to Kelin. One side of Esle always faces its host star, while the other side faces into interplanetary space. The majority of Esle's lava lakes occur on the planet's hottest point, the middle of the near-side hemisphere (the substellar point). Since the lakes are slightly offset, they cause a difference in heat and create violent winds. These winds are proven by the substantial atmosphere - the basalt dunes.

Despite the possible oxygen atmosphere, Esle is far too hellish for any forms of life. The atmosphere isn't thick enough for Kerbals to breathe. Plus, it is so hot on the surface a Kerbal would instantly overheat and pop. Esle's lava oceans can incinerate all types of parts, vessels, and Kerbals, making splashdowns impossible. Any ship that intends to survive here must have a lot of thermal radiators and produce as little heat as possible.

Is it me or does Esle have the same aurorae like Eden from BK? Or are those clouds that somehow turned green?

12 minutes ago, GenesisPlayz said:

Is it me or does Esle have the same aurorae like Eden from BK? Or are those clouds that somehow turned green?

Some of the bodies in KSS have global aurorae as a result of interactions with the magnetospheres from bodies they are close to. You can see a similar effect on Taythe, Sulph, or Silne.

3 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Some of the bodies in KSS have global aurorae as a result of interactions with the magnetospheres from bodies they are close to. You can see a similar effect on Taythe, Sulph, or Silne.

Ah, thanks. I never played with KSS (so sorry) because my PC won't handle it. Planning to do so, though.