[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

It’s just sciencedefs and ideas. I’d know... I’m the secret sciencedef writer nobody knows about...

BACK TO THE SHADOWS!

Seriously though, if you’re good at creative writing and science stuff, you’d probably be good at this. Good luck!

Is KSP supposed to be able to load with all of the expansions to KSS, or do I have to pick just a few?

Also, can you add compatibility with the Explodium Breathing Engines mod (planets with flammable gases in their atmospheres, such as Laho, would have the resource explodium)?

Edited by Scotskerb

22 minutes ago, Scotskerb said:

Is KSP supposed to be able to load with all of the expansions to KSS, or do I have to pick just a few?

Also, can you add compatibility with the Explodium Breathing Engines mod (planets with flammable gases in their atmospheres, such as Laho, would have the resource explodium)?

Install KSS Basic and as many of the optionals as you want (within your computer's ability to perform well with that kind of load).

Nice to see a support request for @Gordon Fecyk's mod. :) It may be better that his mod contains the configs as it's very small compared to KSS so updates can be pushed faster. I supplied most of its existing configs for planet mods so the KSS devs only need to throw a table of body names and average values in my direction.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I took maybe a little inspiration from it. :P 

You could have at least made the banks of air intakes actually radiatiors

Edit: as I posted that I noticed  the MKS Alcubierre drive in 'Next unread topic'

Edited by Saltshaker

2 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

You could have at least made the banks of air intakes actually radiatiors

I believe those are actually radiators.

Just now, Scotskerb said:

Is the micrometeorite shield capable of withstanding the heat from stars? Because I had the idea that maybe it could be used for interstellar aerobraking.

You do not want to aerobrake at a star. No heatshield will protect you from that. The ablator will eventually all wear out and the second any part of your ship gets line of sight with the star's heat rays it will explode.

1 minute ago, Scotskerb said:

Is the micrometeorite shield capable of withstanding the heat from stars? Because I had the idea that maybe it could be used for interstellar aerobraking.

It can't withstand the 2.5 - 5 million degrees °C of a corona :P (+ there is no atmo there). But you can aerobreak in atmospheres of gasgiants with it.

Just now, Saltshaker said:

Oh wait those are radiators, thought they were structural fuselages

batteries of radiators to keep the 4 engines cool.

Stock non-folding radiators (that's what these look like) are only able to effectively absorb heat from their grandparent part or anything directly surface attached to them. I personally would not use them on anything other than a small engine or a resource converter. But assuming they indeed work well in this setup, I must give @StarCrusher96 two thumbs up for an effective design.

1 hour ago, Scotskerb said:

That's up to @StarCrusher96 and the other folks who maintain this planet and star pack. Though it's pretty easy to add support.

You'd need only modify the resources config for each world that's supposed have hydrocarbons in the air. Check out the existing settings for Eve, Titan, Tekto, Catullus and others in the GitHub repository for inspiration. If StarCrusher or Jade want to do a pull request for additions, I'll merge it.

Note that these engines are more oxidizer hogs than fuel hogs, and the math suggests you don't need a very high percentage of vapour to make the engines work. The intakes / harvesters will work appropriately with respect to the percentages in the atmosphere.