[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

12 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

We need a name for the entire galaxy/star cluster in KSS!

Go to this poll to help us choose: http://www.strawpoll.me/14660465

Disclaimer: The actual decision will be made by Starcrusher. It is possible that none of these ideas will be used if we find a more fitting name than what is in the survey.

Could just go with some kind of designator until a consensus is reached. I'll throw out "K64" as one and see how many of you get the reference...

Edited by capi3101

2 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Could just go with some kind of designator until a consensus is reached. I'll throw out "K64" as one and see how many of you get the reference...

Kessier 64

also because you have to run 64 bit to run KSS

On 12/17/2017 at 11:13 PM, TheSpacePotato said:

How much RAM does your computer have? Which systems do you have installed? What other mods are you playing with?

8gb which is not a lot but with only kopernicus, kss basic, kss kerbol expanded, module manager and modular flight integrator on a completely new install as a tet i would expect that to be a problem. In 1.3.1

12 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

We need a name for the entire galaxy/star cluster in KSS!

Go to this poll to help us choose: http://www.strawpoll.me/14660465

Disclaimer: The actual decision will be made by Starcrusher. It is possible that none of these ideas will be used if we find a more fitting name than what is in the survey.

What about Kaniakea Cluster?

It may be a lot smaller than the real one but it sounds cool

11 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

Kessier 64

Isn't Messier 64 the "Black/Evil Eye Galaxy"?

2 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

What about Kaniakea Cluster?

It may be a lot smaller than the real one but it sounds cool

I dunno...the name sounds more suitable for galaxy clusters than star clusters to me :P

14 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

It's more of a Star Wars reference :P

I saw the Kermes (star) cluster was voted.  But I don't think that's the name of the whole galaxy.  I'm guessing the galaxy will be made of many (star) clusters.  If there will be 100+ clusters, then many star systems will need to be randomly generated.   Do only a few special star systems manually.  Like Kerbol and nearby systems. Maybe have a Kerbin size planet with Jool mass and a huge water planet (with things to see inside the huge oceans). Maybe make a few planets (out of 100+ clusters) that has life as we know it.  Finding Life SOMEPLACE in the (big) galaxy and bringing it back to Kerbin sounds like a very ambitious mission!  Just thinking.

7 minutes ago, enewmen said:

I saw the Kermes (star) cluster was voted.  But I don't think that's the name of the whole galaxy.  I'm guessing the galaxy will be made of many (star) clusters.  If there will be 100+ clusters, then many star systems will need to be randomly generated.   Do only a few special star systems manually.  Like Kerbol and nearby systems. Maybe have a Kerbin size planet with Jool mass and a huge water planet (with things to see inside the huge oceans). Maybe make a few planets (out of 100+ clusters) that has life as we know it.  Finding Life SOMEPLACE in the (big) galaxy and bringing it back to Kerbin sounds like a very ambitious mission!  Just thinking.

In KSS, there is only the Kermes Cluster :wink: (Background story)

22 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

In KSS, there is only the Kermes Cluster :wink: (Background story)

Thanks for clarifying.  But is there a chance the Cluster can be expanded later with more stars - if needed?  Personally hope the KSS is open-ended.

Edited by enewmen

Well, i've been playing KSS from the start career wise for a week now, hoping to get to the point of exploring the other stars. 

There's a few small issues:

• Duna's moons both have a science modifier of 1 on the surface, Jool's atmosphere starts above the 'low in space' line. 
  • The Mun is eating vessels in orbit. Has happened 3 times but I never know when until I go back and see them gone. Hasn't occured with any other bodies, and I don't seem to have any mod conflicts (no other planet/body mods). 
  • Performance in general. 
  • The Mun science modifiers are set to 1/2/3, lower than stock. Actually, I think most stock-bodies are lower than stock but i'm not going to check them all. Laythe and Jool and Duna were low too. 
  • Contracts are completely F'd. On the bright side, you can accept a $99million-upfront contract to fly-by The All, The Creator, Krakatoa, etc. 
  • Giving atmospheres to 'pressure-less' bodies destroys timewarp. Great for 'realism', bad for gameplay.
  • Any Life Support mod without minmus is exceedingly difficult. (My choice to use life support, but lack of near-kerbin science availability is an problem overall). 

All minor issues, mostly. But taken together the Kerbol system has been rather frustrating. I'm sure having a small galaxy is fun to play around in, but I feel the Kerbol system needs some TLC. I lost big time on the most recent moon kraken, so I apologize if i come across poorly here. Thanks for all your hard work. Just seeing the stars in map view + distantobject is amazing.

Ninja Edit: This is what the persistent file records for kerbals that are lost around the moon:

2 = Orbit,Mun
3 = Flyby,Karkua
3 = Die

So i'm not going crazy. 

54 minutes ago, fritobandito said:

Performance in general. 

Yeah, about that... KSS is an extremely intensive mod that has the capacity to slow even a decent computer to a halt. Performance, unless some magic thing I don't know about pops up, will never be entirely improved. @StarCrusher96 has mentioned that it is likely that next to nobody will be able to play the full KSS roster of systems by 1.0 release due to how much stuff the mod will add. I like to think that I have a pretty high quality computer, for instance, but loading times with all the current "star packs" not including graphics mods still takes 15-20 minutes of load time. As for your other issues, please keep in mind that KSS is still in heavy development stages and there is definitely polishing to do. Thank you for reporting the issues, though, as it will help us in the future to squash bugs. Just think of KSS now as in a "content addition stage" rather than a "polishing stage."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers, Gyrfalcon.

1 hour ago, enewmen said:

Thanks for clarifying.  But is there a chance the Cluster can be expanded later with more stars - if needed?  Personally hope the KSS is open-ended.

That is most likely not going to happen without a couple dramatic computer explosions. See above post. :) As for open-endedness, Kopernicus modding in general is super flexible. The problem is that KSS is registered under a copyright license (see OP) and doing fundemental changes to KSS would require permission of KSS's supreme leader creator. @StarCrusher96

Edited by Gyrfalcon5

1 hour ago, fritobandito said:

Well, i've been playing KSS from the start career wise for a week now, hoping to get to the point of exploring the other stars. 

There's a few small issues:

• Duna's moons both have a science modifier of 1 on the surface, Jool's atmosphere starts above the 'low in space' line. 
  • The Mun is eating vessels in orbit. Has happened 3 times but I never know when until I go back and see them gone. Hasn't occured with any other bodies, and I don't seem to have any mod conflicts (no other planet/body mods). 
  • Performance in general. 
  • The Mun science modifiers are set to 1/2/3, lower than stock. Actually, I think most stock-bodies are lower than stock but i'm not going to check them all. Laythe and Jool and Duna were low too. 
  • Contracts are completely F'd. On the bright side, you can accept a $99million-upfront contract to fly-by The All, The Creator, Krakatoa, etc. 
  • Giving atmospheres to 'pressure-less' bodies destroys timewarp. Great for 'realism', bad for gameplay.
  • Any Life Support mod without minmus is exceedingly difficult. (My choice to use life support, but lack of near-kerbin science availability is an problem overall). 

All minor issues, mostly. But taken together the Kerbol system has been rather frustrating. I'm sure having a small galaxy is fun to play around in, but I feel the Kerbol system needs some TLC. I lost big time on the most recent moon kraken, so I apologize if i come across poorly here. Thanks for all your hard work. Just seeing the stars in map view + distantobject is amazing.

Ninja Edit: This is what the persistent file records for kerbals that are lost around the moon:

2 = Orbit,Mun
3 = Flyby,Karkua
3 = Die

So i'm not going crazy. 

Thx for reporting! 

I'll try to fix as much as possible. Don't forget KSS is still in dev though.

4 hours ago, enewmen said:

Jeez, man. People can barely run KSS already due to the 120+ new planets and dozens of star systems in this planet pack (about the size of an average star cluster). How are you gonna handle a whole galaxy with millions of stars and hundreds of star clusters? Not to mention how much of a pain that would be to make. :P

Edited by Greatness101

3 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

Jeez, man. People can barely run KSS already due to the 120+ new planets and dozens of star systems in this planet pack (about the size of an average star cluster). How are you gonna handle a whole galaxy with millions of stars and hundreds of star clusters? Not to mention how much of a pain that would be to make. :P

I mean... Elite Dangerous did it, but we're talking about the Unity engine here :P 

1 minute ago, Tonas1997 said:

I mean... Elite Dangerous did it, but we're talking about the Unity engine here :P 

Yeah, but I feel like handcrafted planets have more of a "soul" than procedurally generated planets in general. Maybe it's because the former can be better balanced and unique, and requires effort from the maker. The latter is just randomly generated noise.

Take stock Gilly for example. It looks so boring and "same" because of its bland procedurally generated heightmap. Then take a look at KSS Gilly, and you can actually see tiny impact marks and vaporized rock with purposeful, realistic details.

1 minute ago, Greatness101 said:

Yeah, but I feel like handcrafted planets have more of a "soul" than procedurally generated planets in general. Maybe it's because the former can be better balanced and unique, and requires effort from the maker. The latter is just randomly generated noise.

Take stock Gilly for example. It looks so boring and "same" because of its bland procedurally generated heightmap. Then take a look at KSS Gilly, and you can actually see tiny impact marks and vaporized rock with purposeful, realistic details.

I totally get you; I tried the To Boldly Go mod a while back, and while a procedurally generated cluster is definitely impressive, it just doesn't compare to hand-made systems.