[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

THIS MOD IS NOT READY FOR A REVIEW.

PAGE WILL GET AN UPDATE SOON

NEW LOGO FORUM BIG.png?dl=1

After almost 50 years of the Kerbal Space Program, Kerbal scientists started to question what other mysteries might be hiding beyond the orbit of Jool. They pointed a telescope at all those distant flickering things in the sky and that day Kerbalkind discovered that they were just a small part of a greater cluster of stars and planets in the neighbourhood of Kerbol!

Kerbal Star Systems presents "The Kermes Galaxy", a collection of 150+ celestial objects, 60+ star systems, a revamped Kerbol System, and one very important object to hold it all together, greatly expanding the scope of the Kerbal Universe.

screenshot58.png?dl=1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAILERS

Spoiler

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE THIS MOD IN A MODPACK OR TO USE THE KSS TEXTURES FOR OTHER PROJECTS

This mod is licensed by Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

UNDER REVIEW - DL links not AVAILABLE

! Must be run through KSP_x64.exe ! 

THE VERSION PROVIDED BY CURSEFORGE IS A !BASIC! VERSION. FOR THE FULL VERSION AND VISUALS, DOWNLOAD FROM GITHUB

screenshot56.png?dl=1

WIKI%20SIGN.png?dl=1

INSTALLATION%20SIGN.png?dl=1

Video by Greatness101

KSS DISCORD

SYSTEMS

Spoiler

KERBOL SYSTEM / STOCK SYSTEM

The Kerbol system got a little upgrade, the stock planets got a new look + some new worlds were added! The Kerbol system is now comparable to the real solar system.

Go to this page for more info!

Kerbol%20System%20NEW.png?dl=1

NOVA KIRBANI SYSTEM

The Nova Kirbani System is the closest star system to the Kerbol system. It is an analogue to the real-life Alpha Centauri System. It consists of 3 stars: Kirb (a G2V yellow main sequence star), Kelin (a K1V orange main sequence star), and Kernim (a M6V red main sequence star), each with its own planetary system.

Nova%20Kirbani%20System%20NEW.png?dl=1

KORMIN SYSTEM

The Kormin System is currently the smallest system in the game. It consists of Kormin, a brown dwarf (failed star), 2 planets and one weird dwarfplanet.

KEROLON SYSTEM

The Kerolon System is a close binary between Kerolon (A-type main sequence) and Kerilim (K-type main sequence). The binary is surrounded by a system of 8 planets.

Kerolon%20System%20NEW.png?dl=1

KELNIS SYSTEM

The Kelnis System is a planetary system that revolves around the ultracool red dwarf star called Kelnis. The system contains 7 nearly Kerbin sized worlds, with three of them in the habitable zone, and three of them capable of supporting some sort of life. The system is based on Trappist-1.

Kelnis%20System.png?dl=1

KORLON SYSTEM

The Korlon System consists of a K-type subgiant star nearing the end of its life. The outer layers of the star have already begun to drift off in a brilliant planetary nebula. The star does not possess any planets in the current stage of the mod.

KELARIS SYSTEM

The Kelaris System is a ternary star system consisting of two F-type (Yellow-White) stars and one G-type (yellow) star: Kelaris (F7 Supergiant), Kirlim (F6V), and Kerbos (G8V).

THE ALL

THE ALL is one of the most mysterious celestials in the Kerbal Universe. Is it a star? A black hole or something else? No one seems to know it. The only thing Kerbals know is that "Light can only exist with a source to provide it. Likewise, the continued existence of matter requires The All to maintain it. The All is one, and the one provides for all.". Some astronomers think some kind of object orbits THE ALL.

It is the most distant of all the objects in KSS.

HOW TO GET TO ANOTHER STAR SYSTEM: TUTORIAL BY @Voodoo8648

Spoiler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY THE NAME "KERBAL STAR SYSTEMS"?:

Spoiler

2 years ago, this mod started as an expansion of the Kerbol System. Adding 2 stars: Kirb and Kernim with the current planets of Kelin, orbiting Kirb and the current Kernim System. That's why I called it Kerbol StarSystem (because everything was part of the Kerbol System). But as the mod grew, I saw more potential in creating an entire starcluster / galaxy / whatever you call it. So the mod got renamed to Kerbal Star Systems when 0.7 got released.

- StarCrusher96

screenshot52.png?dl=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPATIBLE WITH

Galileo's Planet Pack (GPP)

Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul (GPO)

Other Worlds Reboot (OWR)

ExtraSolar

---

Instantiator

Flare Replacer

PlanetShine

Distant Object Enhancement

---

SOON™ THE WORLD BEYOND (TWB), ALTERNIS KERBOL REKERJIGGERED & MORE

CHANGELOG:

**RELEASED 0.8.2
  https://kerbal-star-systems.wikia.com/wiki/Version_History

**RELEASED 0.7.2 and 0.7.3**

Contains various fixes from 0.7.2
* Fixed gasgiants 'surface' in all systems
* Fixed Aquel's and Irke's scatterer

Changelog from 0.7.2 + some things I forgot to mention.
TO INSTALL KSS, START WITH KSS_0.7.2_BASIC
IT CAN TAKE UP 10 MIN TO LOAD KSP WITH KSS

* Added a revamped Kerolon System containing 22 new celestials
* Added the Kelar System
  System contains Hetoo, Lyrne and Tesyl. More will be added in the future.
* Added Kereksus (neutron star) and Kerulum

Every star has now a more realistic layered atmosphere
(photosphere, chromosphere, corona, ...)

Kerbol system:
* Jool is retextured
* Added rings to Hal
* Retextured Pol
* Tropical Laythe reinserted into the game
* Kuiper Belt analogue added using asteroids

Nova Kirbani System:
* Renamed some of the biomes on several planets to be more exciting.

Kelnis System:
* Renamed the biomes to make them more exciting.

Kormin System:
*Rings around Tide

Karkua:
* Mass increased to become a supermassive black hole.
* Moved much closer to The All to prevent detection
* More custom sciencedefs
* Fixed apostrophe errors in multiple sciencedefs
  Silne, Iain, Keles, Esle, Cal, Dalne, Hesmin, Dunem, Alar, Um, Irnil, Orph, Trytho, Sern
  Erel, Mork, Phain, Leyn, Rav, Bop, Gilly, Kerolon, Kerilim

Lore:
*Black Pyramid on Duna

Visuals:
* Complete overhaul of clouds and auroras
* This is a result of a copyright issue caused by Part 1 of KSS
* Redone engine particles for the plasma engine
* Flares for Karkua and The All
* Total retexturing of all stars
* Smoother light curves for all stars
* Geysers on Icy Laythe and Eeloo

Parts:
* Micrometeorite Shied: 16m in diameter and non-inflatable
* New particles for the plasma engine.

---

**RELEASED 0.6**
* Reduced KSS with 300 Mb
* Converted textures to .dds (saves RAM)
* Other improvements to save RAM
* Renamed the Kerbol StarSystem folder: KSS
* Added several new planets and retextured others
* Added a few KSS flags
* All atmospheric bodies have now custom atmospheres (floatcurves)
* All planets have sciencevalues and working biomes!
* New sciencedefs for Mun, Moho, Eve, Duna, Dres, Pol and Laythe
* Compatibility with GPP (will be improved over time), Community Resources (TEST) and Researchbodies
  -> more will be added soon
* Custom gradients (when not using visuals)
* Improvements and more terraindetails
* Added groundscattering to several celestials
* Starspots and better/improved star colors
* Fixed starbrightness (M/K types will emit a lot less energy than Kerbol, bigger stars will emit more)
* Fixed the invisible force field around The Creator, but you're no longer able to find The Creator in the trackingstation
* First attempt to add surface temperatures and exospheres to some celestials in the Kerbol system
* First attempt on a plasma engine (resource: helium (tanks provided) - needs more work - test it with unlimited fuel)
* KSS loadingscreen
* 'New EVE' clouds + scatterer improvements (clouds sometimes dont show up - will be fixed!)
* Kelnis System (Optional)
* Should be career ready

---

**RELEASED 0.5**

* Rewrote the configs for the VanillaPlanets so Kopernicus don't need to be edited anymore!
* A lot of retexturing and new details!
* Added new planets
* Added a new star Kelin to the Kirb - Kernim System transforming it into the Nova Kirbani System (Alpha Centauri analog)
* Added the Kelaris System acting as a North Pole Star (with scatterer)
* Added biomemaps to all the celestials BUT they are not all assigned yet, meaning 1/4 th of the biomes do work. (all the habitable worlds should work)
* Some planets have groundscattering (test)
* Calculated new parameters for a some bodies (gravity, atmo, ...)
* Added new descriptions for every major planet. - thx to @Greatness101 and @Calvin_Maclure
* Added Visual mods: Scatterer, EVE, DistantObject, TextureReplacer
* ... A lot more!

***rings might be broken + Solar Output of the stars is broken -> meaning: solar panels work but a red dwarf star will emit as much energy as a G2 star like Kerbol. (this will be fixed soon)

NOT INCLUDED:

* new engines (still testing)
* compatibility with other mods (although this is ready, I want to see how 0.5 runs and what the major bugs are)
* science

---

**RELEASED 0.45 (TEST 0.5)**
* A lot of retexturing!
* Terrain texturing - textures provided by Galileo + own textures
* Minmus is now a comet (75y orbit)
* Added Ceth, Klip, Eran, Isme, Aryl, ...
* Calculated new parameters for a lot of bodies (gravity, atmo, ...)
* Made not terraformed Duna and cold icy Laythe standard, the other 2 will be optional in 0.5.
* ... A lot more!
***rings might be broken

The Scatterer and EVE files are not included, they will be published in another downloadlink. (to reduce the size of the mod) => the size will be reduced for 0.5

* Old page got removed by bug on the forum -> previous data lost

COMMON ISSUES & PROBLEMS:

Spoiler

I INSTALLED KSS BUT IT DOESN'T WORK

-> You might have done something wrong, make sure you follow the steps and have the right mods installed. Remember that thousands of others managed to install KSS without any trouble. Make sure you had a look at the installation guide on the wiki or the video made by @Greatness101!

This is how your GameData folder should look with only KSS installed:

KSS_INSTALL.png?dl=1

THE ORBITS OF MY VESSELS CHANGED AFTER USING KSS.

-> Keep in mind that installing a planet pack over an existing stock game WILL break your save. This can't be fixed.

CONTRACTS ARE BROKEN

-> Should work!

I WANT TO COMBINE KSS WITH OTHER MODS THAT ARE NOT KNOWN TO BE COMPATIBLE.

-> Do this at your own risk. Helping KSS by making compatibility patches is appreciated.

I INSTALLED KSS, BUT I CAN ONLY SEE THE STOCKPLANETS AND MINMUS IS A COMET.

WHERE ARE THE OTHER PLANETS?

-> You just installed KSS_Basic right? Now go to the Github page and download the exoplanets there!

* SPECIAL THX TO :

@Thomas P.@blackrack@Galileo, @JadeOfMaar

Contributors:

@JadeOfMaar,@TheSpacePotato@Gyrfalcon5@Cortwade, @Adstriduum, @FoxtrotUniform, @Noah the Smol, @Jeb's Pirotecnics Guy

Former Contributors: 

@Greatness101, @Calvin_Maclure, @Itsdavyjones, @theaveragepxtseryu

screenshot3.png?dl=1

This mod is licensed by Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

Edited by StarCrusher96

19 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Eyyyyyy its back! I just need scatter/EVE to make it better (oh yea, found out I was using 32 bit KSP the whole time...)

Scatterer is as good as finished but someone is working with me to finish the clouds :wink: just a few days patience :P

45 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Scatterer is as good as finished but someone is working with me to finish the clouds :wink: just a few days patience :P

Well considering scatterer atmospheric effects don't work properly for planets around other stars (at least last time I checked), won't the scatterer effects look strange as the planet orbits its star? Won't the light side of the planet face the sun and not its host star because of how scatterer works?

Also, what about that problem with sun flares around bodies other than the sun? Won't you have to wait until that problem is solved before you could release scatterer configs and such for KSS?

Sorry if I seem like a party pooper :P

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

7 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Well considering scatterer atmospheric effects don't work properly for planets around other stars (at least last time I checked), won't the scatterer effects look strange as the planet orbits its star? Won't the light side of the planet face the sun and not its host star because of how scatterer works?

Also, what about that problem with sun flares around bodies other than the sun? Won't you have to wait until that problem is solved before you could release scatterer configs and such for KSS?

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I have been using Scatterer around other stars without problems as far as I can tell. 

59 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have been using Scatterer around other stars without problems as far as I can tell. 

Really? I told @StarCrusher96 about this and he said he was having similar issues. I'll get a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

@Galileo Here's that problem I was talking about with scatterer sun flares. I have a blue sun flare for Vega, and when I look in certain directions, the screen becomes tinted blue (the tint is dependent on the color of the sun flare). I did not have this problem with KSP 1.1 and only appears in 1.2.

Here are the screenshots:

Normal (notice how the skybox looks completely black, as it is supposed to)

Spoiler

iU5JmPA.png

Abnormal (triggered by looking in certain directions. Notice how there is a slight but noticeable blue tint to the screen)

Spoiler

zfGK9aC.png

Strangely, this problem does not occur with the Sun. It only occurs with bodies other than the Sun. If I set the same blue sun flares for the Sun, the problem is non-existent. However, when I set any sun flare for Vega, or any other star for that matter, this problem occurs. I've already told @blackrack about this issue, and he has confirmed that other people are having this same problem.

Strange that in my dev version if GPP,  I have another star orbiting around the sun and it has its own flares and I'm not getting this issue. Maybe I haven't done enough testing though

Edited by Galileo

14 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Strange that in my dev version if GPP,  I have another star orbiting around the sun and it has its own flares and I'm not getting this issue. Maybe I haven't done enough testing though

How far away is the star from the Sun? Maybe that has something to do with it. In RSS Constellations, I have Vega sitting at 1/10 of its distance, so 2.5 light-years which is still pretty far. I'll see if the problem doesn't exist if I have Vega much closer. Also, are you using one of the experimental versions of scatterer? I might as well give it a shot and see if for some reason the problem doesn't exist in one of the experimental scatterer versions.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

And this is what happens when you try to make scatterer atmospheric effects when the Sun is not in the same direction as the parent star. From certain angles, it looks fine. From other angles, however, no so much. I'm not sure how @StarCrusher96 is planning on getting around this glaring issue. It would be real nice if there is actually a way to solve this issue with scatterer atmospheres not functioning on bodies not parented to the Sun, as I'd love to have scatterer effects on all of my exoplanets!

You can see how half of the planet looks as it does without scatterer, while one half has scatterer effects facing towards the Sun rather than towards the parent star, in this case Tau Ceti.

pKJOpFq.png

Planet looks relatively nice from this angle

ZKTFJad.png

You can see the sort of "two-face" scatterer thing better from this angle.

BhKBV2N.png

Please tell me you found a way around this @StarCrusher96! I WANT THE KSS EYECANDY TO BE A REALITY :D

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures 

As I am not into coding and changing mods there is no way around those bugs at this point, but the dev from Scatterer knows the issues and promised me he'd fix them in his next release. I'm just making sure I have everything ready for when the time comes :)

Alright that makes sense. So are you going to wait until those issues are resolved to release KSS with the visual enhancements?

29 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Alright that makes sense. So are you going to wait until those issues are resolved to release KSS with the visual enhancements?

I'm going to release it ... With some instructions and warnings :)

55 minutes ago, Shkeiru said:

Awesome !!!

With modifying "homeworld ?" propriety in config files should we change  the location of KSC for one of those beautiful planets ? 

yes I think so ... never tried it though

Edited by StarCrusher96

16 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@Galileo Here's that problem I was talking about with scatterer sun flares. I have a blue sun flare for Vega, and when I look in certain directions, the screen becomes tinted blue (the tint is dependent on the color of the sun flare). I did not have this problem with KSP 1.1 and only appears in 1.2.

Here are the screenshots:

Normal (notice how the skybox looks completely black, as it is supposed to)

Hide contents

iU5JmPA.png

Abnormal (triggered by looking in certain directions. Notice how there is a slight but noticeable blue tint to the screen)

Hide contents

zfGK9aC.png

Strangely, this problem does not occur with the Sun. It only occurs with bodies other than the Sun. If I set the same blue sun flares for the Sun, the problem is non-existent. However, when I set any sun flare for Vega, or any other star for that matter, this problem occurs. I've already told @blackrack about this issue, and he has confirmed that other people are having this same problem.

I reproduced it. It occurs with the sun if you get far enough away. Will try to fix it soon.