[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

@Voodoo8648 @StarCrusher96 : Voodoo , I understand what you're asking for, but : 

1) : You're NOT a contributor of the mod and StarCrusher not asked anyone for idea on game mechanics (mean career compatible). So you can submit an idea, but you're not guaranteed that it will be followed. And nobody is obligated to take count of you.

2)The fact of adding multiple star systems , even not finished is THE MAIN PURPOSE of the mod, so your idea of making a clearly finished SINGLE star system logically don't take any sense.

So i'm sorry to be as harsh but this point needed to be clear. EDIT : didn't saw that the mod will be modular, but it change nothing... 

The only thing I can say , is that StarCrucher took this problem alone. It's just too big  but for now, well executed.

Edited by Shkeiru

19 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm a bit confused, do you intend on developing 2 systems first to be ready for release (Kerbol and the alpha centauri like system) to be career mode ready before developing the others? Or do you plan on developing all systems at one go? Also, just outta does the alpha centauri system have to include all 3 stars due to coding and is it posible to not include Kerbol?

Anyone know what community reputation is and what rank is?

You can moving the spaceport on Taythe or Blalo of mod KerbinSide by rewriting the configs, location, and height of the spaceport. And start playing!

@Voodoo8648 I'm used to get some criticism in daily life so it's all okay. The problem is that written words dont carry emotion so some comments can sound harsh without being intended to be harsh. 

Lets launch some rockets, enjoy ksp and all its good mods. :)

Edited by StarCrusher96

@The-Doctor Community reputation is the green number next to your name which increases for every like you receive but decays over time. Rank is an indicator to the magnitude of number of posts you've made (which in a way shows some maturity as a forum user) but the title part you can change it to what you want.

14 minutes ago, Alec Joosten said:

I just noticed that the TextureReplacer skymap misses the "Default" files, making it useless. The EnvMap files seem to be from Poodmund's Calm Nebula Skybox, but I don't see a file giving him credit for the textures...

I just checked it and the default files are not missing. It is indeed the Calm Nebula and credits are for now given at page 1. Since the mod is still not at a V1 (and it is the first time I released visuals) I did not yet include any files giving credits to other moddevs due to the fact that the list will get longer. But thx for noticing.

Edited by StarCrusher96

5 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I just checked it and the default files are not missing. It is indeed the Calm Nebula and credits are for now given at page 1. Since the mod is still not at a V1 (and it is the first time I released visuals) I did not yet include any files giving credits to other moddevs due to the fact that the list will get longer. But thx for noticing.

I wouldn't include poodmunds skybox because his license doesn't allow for it. 

Awesome screenshots!

I have a problem, though, which nobody has been able to help me with.

If you could spare a moment, could you tell me how you distort your planet textures at the top and bottom? (I think it's called polar coordinates?) - I haven't been able to find anything that will do that for me

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Awesome screenshots!

I have a problem, though, which nobody has been able to help me with.

If you could spare a moment, could you tell me how you distort your planet textures at the top and bottom? (I think it's called polar coordinates?) - I haven't been able to find anything that will do that for me

Thanks!

In photoshop i copy around 1/5th of the top and bottom of the texture and try to compress it a little. It can take a few times to check if it looks good ingame.

Also if you make textures with kittopiah it renders your textures without stretched poles. (But it wont convert 'bad' textures)

I got some stretched textures but it really depends how I made them.

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

In photoshop i copy around 1/5th of the top and bottom of the texture and try to compress it a little. It can take a few times to check if it looks good ingame.

Also if you make textures with kittopiah it renders your textures without stretched poles. (But it wont convert 'bad' textures)

Oh buddy, its way easier than that..

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Isn't there a transform tool that you can use to warp a selection to your liking? I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, as I don't use Photoshop (I use GIMP).

22 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Isn't there a transform tool that you can use to warp a selection to your liking? I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, as I don't use Photoshop (I use GIMP).

Yeah this is exactly what I told you in a pm:

In photoshop, there is a filter you can use.  I'm unsure about gimp or any other program.

go to the filter tab and choose distort>polar coordinates 

then choose rectangular to polar

The texture will then look weird but that's ok just edit the pinching out of the texture by using your clone tool.

now go back to filter>distort> polar coordinates 

now select polar to rectangular.

that takes care of one pole. Now just flip your texture vertically and repeat the steps.

@Gamel0rd1 Read above.

@StarCrusher96 if you are merely just compressing the top and bottom of your textures it won't look right at all and you would still have bad pinching. I suggest you read the above and save yourself the time 

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

In photoshop, there is a filter you can use.  I'm unsure about gimp or any other program.

The texture will then look weird but that's ok just edit the pinching out of the texture by using your clone tool.

that takes care of one pole. Now just flip your texture vertically and repeat the steps.

@Gamel0rd1 Read above.

@StarCrusher96 if you are merely just compressing the top and bottom of your textures it won't look right at all and you would still have bad pinching. I suggest you read the above and save yourself the time 

Yeah I know about that method you told me, but I was thinking of another way that you could go about doing this, not using the clone stamp tool. Isn't there a transform tool called "distort" that allows you to warp a selection in whatever way you please? The idea I was having is that you could map the texture to polar coordinates, and then use this distort tool to stretch the poles outwards to remove the pinching. Do you think that could work?

EDIT: The tool is either called "distort" or "warp"

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah I know about that method you told me, but I was thinking of another way that you could go about doing this, not using the clone stamp tool. Isn't there a transform tool called "distort" that allows you to warp a selection in whatever way you please? The idea I was having is that you could map the texture to polar coordinates, and then use this distort tool to stretch the poles outwards to remove the pinching. Do you think that could work?

EDIT: The tool is either called "distort" or "warp"

No that wouldn't work. The warp or distort tool is not used for things like that.

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

@Gamel0rd1 Read above.

Well, here's what I have now:

SloUMKZ.jpg

I'm quite happy with it, I just need to iron out the seam at the poles (when fixing the pinching at your stage 2 I wasn't sure how to do it seamlessly)

On 17 February 2017 at 4:32 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@The-Doctor Community reputation is the green number next to your name which increases for every like you receive but decays over time. Rank is an indicator to the magnitude of number of posts you've made (which in a way shows some maturity as a forum user) but the title part you can change it to what you want.

Wait what, It decays? I never had that happen...

34 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@Galileo did not know photoshop could even do that :P But i think its Gimp you're talking about.

No that's definitely photoshop I'm talking about.. I'm a graphic/web designer irl and I teach Adobe CC programs as an assistant at the Art Institute of Austin, so I know my way around PS.. Gimp is a terrible program in comparison to PS and I don't recommend it but it's ok for those who can't afford creative cloud and basic image manipulation I suppose..

Edited by Galileo