[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

10 minutes ago, ryan234abc said:

Damn this mod looks good.

Followed the instructions down to a T (very in depth by the way, well done). Game loads up to the very end of loading, but when it would go onto the menu screen normally (where you can start game, credits, quit again etc.) it just crashes. My entire computer slows down to painful speed. I'm meeting the 8gb RAM needed, but it would seem that the computer cannot handle the mod nevertheless. I don't think this is a problem with the mod itself... thoughts?

Ryan

When you load kss for the first time it is possible that your game crashes. I'd advice to use kss basic for a first attempt and look if the game wrote the cache files in KSS/Cache

-> Sometimes KSP crashes after the cache files for KSS are written. Afterwards this can't be an issue.   

Edited by StarCrusher96

8 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

When you load kss for the first time it is possible your game crashes. I'd advice to use kss basic for a first attempt and look if the game wrote the cache files in KSS/Cache

-> Sometimes KSP crashes after the cache files for KSS are written.     

The cache is full of what I can presume only to be the names of planets in the form:           (planet).bin

As the original download does not contain these, I can presume this is the problem? I am only using the basic version at this time. Should I just clear these out and reload, or will the files just be re-written into that location?

Cheers for the quick response

Ryan

EDIT: I cleared out the cache and reloaded, the game crashed at the same point again but only a small handful of .bin files are in the cache.

Edited by ryan234abc

39 minutes ago, ryan234abc said:

Damn this mod looks good.

Followed the instructions down to a T (very in depth by the way, well done). Game loads up to the very end of loading, but when it would go onto the menu screen normally (where you can start game, credits, quit again etc.) it just crashes. My entire computer slows down to painful speed. I'm meeting the 8gb RAM needed, but it would seem that the computer cannot handle the mod nevertheless. I don't think this is a problem with the mod itself... thoughts?

Ryan

Yeah... 8 is gonna be low for this mod. You should really be packing 16Gb of RAM if you plan on using KSS. 

2 hours ago, ryan234abc said:

Got it working! Time for visuals!

You could try the visuals with 8Gs of RAM, but it's irritatingly slow. I had to buy 16G of RAM to play it.

I'm in the process of creating a Delta-V Map for KSS. After running different scenarios, here is an example of the minimum dV and time requirements needed to travel from an 80km LKO to a full orbital insertion of the Kirb star system at an altitude of the edge of Kirb's SOI. I do plan to make graphic visual map later, this is just a preliminary example for travel to one star system.

Note: these are the MINIMUM dV requirements, and the minimum time required based on the dV used. Shorter arrival times are possible with more dV used (obviously). These figures do not factor in gravity assists from other celestial bodies. This is point A to B.

Kerbin SOI Escape = 965 m/s

8 days until kerbin escape and next maneuver

Inclination Burn = 8771 m/s

110 days until next burn

Kerbol Escape / Kirb Encounter Maneuver = 4423 m/s

812 years until Kirb encounter and orbital insertion maneuver

Kirb Orbital Insertion = 1831 m/s

Total dV = 15,990 m/s dV

57 minutes ago, AndroidSub said:

@StarCrusher96 Is there any way I can play with only the stock planets? Of course , everything looks awesome , but my poor computer won't be able to handle it . :P

You can delete all the systems in KSS/KopernicusFiles except from the Kerbol System and VanillaPlanets (dont delete stars!). Some stockbodies are moved to the outer planets so you need at least Vanilla and Kerbol to play kss.

Edited by StarCrusher96

9 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

I'm in the process of creating a Delta-V Map for KSS. After running different scenarios, here is an example of the minimum dV and time requirements needed to travel from an 80km LKO to a full orbital insertion of the Kirb star system at an altitude of the edge of Kirb's SOI. I do plan to make graphic visual map later, this is just a preliminary example for travel to one star system.

Note: these are the MINIMUM dV requirements, and the minimum time required based on the dV used. Shorter arrival times are possible with more dV used (obviously). These figures do not factor in gravity assists from other celestial bodies. This is point A to B.

110 days until next burn

Total dV = 15,990 m/s dV

As an RSS player, I look at that and think "Wow, that's barely any Delta-V!"

21 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

As an RSS player, I look at that and think "Wow, that's barely any Delta-V!"

When traveling for more than 812 years :P 

Edited by StarCrusher96

12 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

110 days until next burn

Total dV = 15,990 m/s dV

Just what I needed! Thanks!

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

What do you expect in the next big KSS update? -> Vote!

CLICK HERE !

If a storyline is released, can I help write? 

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

When traveling for more than 812 years :P 

Just get a warp drive and travel for less than 30 minutes.

12 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

110 days until next burn

Total dV = 15,990 m/s dV

How do you make a delta v map?

1 minute ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

What's a good amount of RAM for this mod? I noticed I'm getting some bad micro stutters and I don't know if it's because of my RAM or my HDD getting filled. 

16G is mine. It's completely playable with 8G though. Just laggy.

Edited by AR3S_TGL

6 minutes ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

What's a good amount of RAM for this mod? I noticed I'm getting some bad micro stutters and I don't know if it's because of my RAM or my HDD getting filled. 

You can get along with 8 Gb RAM, but it would be laggy. The recommended amount is at leas 16 Gb.

qnxyfe9.png

Finally in a stable orbit!

As Helium engines didn't circularize well I had to resort to gravity assists. One more should bring me to an elliptical orbit of the inner planets. Lyrne looks good! Then I will have done a tour of the Kerolon system.

kHpv9sN.png

Kerbalkind's most hopeful exo-planet (so far, in my save)

Now that the Maccan and Edzar have to cryogenicly freeze themselves and go into hibernation until the colony ship comes...

50 minutes ago, AR3S_TGL said:

How do you make a delta v map?

Creating a delta-V map requires a boatload of Math work and simulations to get the average transfer times and delta-V numbers for the various map points, and the artist capacity to make a decent and understandable graphic image (or set of images).

In the spoiler is Galileo's delta-V map. That's just one star with 27 worlds. But here we're talking 10+ stars with 80+ worlds. That's at least 6 maps (some stars are close enough to share a map's space).

Spoiler

GPP_dVmap.png

@StarCrusher96 I voted for compatibility... which is why I'm here. :P 

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Creating a delta-V map requires a boatload of Math work and simulations to get the average transfer times and delta-V numbers for the various map points, and the artist capacity to make a decent and understandable graphic image (or set of images).

In the spoiler is Galileo's delta-V map. That's just one star with 27 worlds. But here we're talking 10+ stars with 80+ worlds. That's at least 6 maps (some stars are close enough to share a map's space).

Hide contents

GPP_dVmap.png

@StarCrusher96 I voted for compatibility... which is why I'm here. :P 

I've always wanted to make a delta v map, that is the only reason I asked.

My favorite body in GPP is Muse as the name is like a band.