[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

19 minutes ago, WakabaGyaru said:

Hello again,

Recently I've found in Steam "Universe Sandbox" and now there is one question that does not go out of my mind. Did you ever tested solar systems in KSS and the whole KSS galaxy for realism and survivability in any simulator? I mean, will these SS be actually stable with all physical laws applied or will collapse or will go to pieces? I think it would be great to know that with KSS we play Real Space Simulator with Real Planets, not just jumping from one textured sphere to another with Hohmann trajectories.

Starcrusher is working on Principia compatibility so if you really want realism you should be able to get it in due time.

1 hour ago, WakabaGyaru said:

Hello again,

Recently I've found in Steam "Universe Sandbox" and now there is one question that does not go out of my mind. Did you ever tested solar systems in KSS and the whole KSS galaxy for realism and survivability in any simulator? I mean, will these SS be actually stable with all physical laws applied or will collapse or will go to pieces? I think it would be great to know that with KSS we play Real Space Simulator with Real Planets, not just jumping from one textured sphere to another with Hohmann trajectories.

KSS won't work in Universe Sandbox because the sizes are 1/10th real and the orbits 1/11th. @StarCrusher96 is testing compatibility with Principia, and he says that most of the Kerbol System and Nova Kirbani System is for the most part stable.

@WakabaGyaru

Systems in KSS are always tested in universe sandbox on real scale. 

I remember someone even tested the Nova Kirbani System and there was a stability up to 2 million years (as far as this person tested it). 

Habitable zones are taken into account. The influence of gas giants. Realistic temperatures and atmospheres. BUT this is still a game and I need to keep it playable and interesting for everybody. So scales got adjusted and small changed were made. Like the SOI of Bop which schould be +|- 70m but i scaled it up to make Bop interceptions possible. (Thought Phobos it’s SOI is 7 km?)

The new orbits of the Kerolon System and Kelar System are based on analogue systems i found in space engine.

Edited by StarCrusher96

11 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@WakabaGyaru

Systems in KSS are always tested in universe sandbox on real scale. 

I remember someone even tested the Nova Kirbani System and there was a stability up to 2 million years (as far as this person tested it). 

Habitable zones are taken into account. The influence of gas giants. Realistic temperatures and atmospheres. BUT this is still a game and I need to keep it playable and interesting for everybody. So scales got adjusted and small changed were made. Like the SOI of Bop which schould be +|- 70m but i scaled it up to make Bop interceptions possible. (Thought Phobos it’s SOI is 7 km?)

The new orbits of the Kerolon System and Kelar System are based on analogue systems i found in space engine.

Great to hear you worked so deep to bring realism into KSS! I would like to do some simulations as well, so I would like to ask where can I read about scales applied?

25 minutes ago, WakabaGyaru said:

Great to hear you worked so deep to bring realism into KSS! I would like to do some simulations as well, so I would like to ask where can I read about scales applied?

For KSS it’s very easy (you can find some info on the wiki)

• In System Orbits 1:11. -> 1/11th AU is called a KAU. (Kerbal Astronomical Unit)
  • Radius 1:10. 
  • Stellar distances are too close to eachother to be realistic but scaled like this (warning: not logical math)

For Nova Kirbani, Kirb: 

~ Alpha Centauri A

distance: 4.37 ly -> 43.7 / 2 = 21.85 / 1.5 = 14.56 Tm away from Kerbin

The distance to Kirb is called 1 KIU. (Kerbal Interstellar Unit)

Edited by StarCrusher96

17 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

THE KSS TEAM IS LOOKING FOR A NEW MEMBER

TASK: WRITING SCIENCEDEFS, WIKI, DESCRIPTIONS, ... BASICALLY A LOT OF WRITING

SKILLS: CREATIVE WRITING

*English is your mother tongue

CONTACT WITH PM @StarCrusher96

TFW your mother tongue isn't English :/

Edited by Tonas1997

17 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

THE KSS TEAM IS LOOKING FOR A NEW MEMBER

TASK: WRITING SCIENCEDEFS, WIKI, DESCRIPTIONS, ... BASICALLY A LOT OF WRITING

SKILLS: CREATIVE WRITING

*English is your mother tongue

CONTACT WITH PM @StarCrusher96

Oh boy...             everybody! run from this forum as fast as you can! The GPP thread isn't looking to enslave you.

This is going to be fun. How many people do you think saw this and ran as far away from this forum, then promptly took a job at the DMV to avoid being a slave writer?

4 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

Oh boy...             everybody! run from this forum as fast as you can! The GPP thread isn't looking to enslave you.

This is going to be fun. How many people do you think saw this and ran as far away from this forum, then promptly took a job at the DMV to avoid being a slave writer?

To be fair, writing sciencedefs and descriptions isn't that hard. So long as you can think of something decent and witty to say, you're pretty much good :P

2 hours ago, TheSpacePotato said:

To be fair, writing sciencedefs and descriptions isn't that hard. So long as you can think of something decent and witty to say, you're pretty much good :P

yes... but in order to make a complete science def config, which takes forever to write because I've done it before, it would take maybe two hours to get all the required science defs for just one planet. Now, multiply those two hours by the ~100 objects in KSS and you understand this term:        Crippling Depression

I'm applying for the job because I only want to do a fraction of the science defs, and I don't want to do them in a timed situation.

11 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

yes... but in order to make a complete science def config, which takes forever to write because I've done it before, it would take maybe two hours to get all the required science defs for just one planet. Now, multiply those two hours by the ~100 objects in KSS and you understand this term:        Crippling Depression

I'm applying for the job because I only want to do a fraction of the science defs, and I don't want to do them in a timed situation.

The configs are always already provided. It's just working on 1 celestial (just writing the sentences) with the information provided and moving to the next one after finishing. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

26 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

The configs are always already provided. It's just working on 1 celestial (just writing the sentences) with the information provided and moving to the next one after finishing. 

timed situation could be bad though. If a big release of KSS, say part two, is supposed to have all the new science defs, and I haven't finished them yet, I have a feeling that KSS players are going to show up at my doorstep with pitchforks and torches.

I noticed your configs have weird indentation; do you use a text editor other than Notepad++?

On 11/21/2017 at 12:45 PM, TheSpacePotato said:

KSS won't work in Universe Sandbox because the sizes are 1/10th real and the orbits 1/11th. @StarCrusher96 is testing compatibility with Principia, and he says that most of the Kerbol System and Nova Kirbani System is for the most part stable.

You are lucky that the player "Hypercosmic" hasn't been to this thread... Some say that he will troll your thread if your system isn't stable. Still others say that you can summon him if you say his name three times...

@Hypercosmic

@Hypercosmic

@Hypercosmic

good luck dealing with the pessimism :)

1 hour ago, UranianBlue said:

To be fair Starcrusher is pretty lenient about how long you take to do sciencedefs. Plus, you usually have two other people helping (TheSpacePotato and me, although admittedly I've been slacking off lately due to my schoolwork) so it's not a lot of pressure at all.

Plus you get the benefit of knowing what's going on behind the scenes and influence development, which if you're into this mod, is a pretty good thing to have. :P

31 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

timed situation could be bad though. If a big release of KSS, say part two, is supposed to have all the new science defs, and I haven't finished them yet, I have a feeling that KSS players are going to show up at my doorstep with pitchforks and torches.

I noticed your configs have weird indentation; do you use a text editor other than Notepad++?

They aren't timed though. We pick a body that we want to write for, take as much time to write it, then put it into the configs. We have no deadline so long as we're writing sciencedefs for the mod at a decent pace. If you look at the Version History, you can see only 7 bodies had sciencedefs for 0.6. In Part 1, 21 new bodies had sciencedefs written. In Part 2, we're planning on adding sciencedefs for 9+ bodies, and you can check here to see what we've added, and I always update it whenever we finish sciencedefs for a body.

1 hour ago, TheSpacePotato said:

They aren't timed though. We pick a body that we want to write for, take as much time to write it, then put it into the configs. We have no deadline so long as we're writing sciencedefs for the mod at a decent pace. If you look at the Version History, you can see only 7 bodies had sciencedefs for 0.6. In Part 1, 21 new bodies had sciencedefs written. In Part 2, we're planning on adding sciencedefs for 9+ bodies, and you can check here to see what we've added, and I always update it whenever we finish sciencedefs for a body.

Considering that there is somewhere around 100 bodies in KSS, it looks like there must be at least another 60+ bodies that need science-defs.

1 hour ago, Greatness101 said:

To be fair Starcrusher is pretty lenient about how long you take to do sciencedefs. Plus, you usually have two other people helping (TheSpacePotato and me, although admittedly I've been slacking off lately due to my schoolwork) so it's not a lot of pressure at all.

Plus you get the benefit of knowing what's going on behind the scenes and influence development, which if you're into this mod, is a pretty good thing to have. :P

I need to do this with mods I make. Never though about enslaving the community.      If only I could get the community to write Science Defs and draw biome maps for me . . .

8 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

Considering that there is somewhere around 100 bodies in KSS, it looks like there must be at least another 60+ bodies that need science-defs.

We never said we hated writing sciencedefs for KSS. Sure it can get repetitive at some times with less exciting bodies, but it's always fun :)

9 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

I need to do this with mods I make. Never though about enslaving the community.      If only I could get the community to write Science Defs and draw biome maps for me . . .

We aren't enslaving people? The point of having other people help is so @StarCrusher96 doesn't have to do everything with the mod and can put more focus onto the mod itself, rather than doing everything with his mod. Tons of modmakers do this; it's nothing new. If you want people to help write sciencedefs, just go ahead and ask.

12 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

You are lucky that the player "Hypercosmic" hasn't been to this thread... Some say that he will troll your thread if your system isn't stable. Still others say that you can summon him if you say his name three times...

@Hypercosmic

@Hypercosmic

@Hypercosmic

good luck dealing with the pessimism :)

Troll.

Oh wait. ...oh, that bit of my idiotic moments! Why do you have to poke me in the spot that hurts again...

13 hours ago, TheSpacePotato said:

We never said we hated writing sciencedefs for KSS. Sure it can get repetitive at some times with less exciting bodies, but it's always fun :)

We aren't enslaving people? The point of having other people help is so @StarCrusher96 doesn't have to do everything with the mod and can put more focus onto the mod itself, rather than doing everything with his mod. Tons of modmakers do this; it's nothing new. If you want people to help write sciencedefs, just go ahead and ask.

Hmmmm....

As a pragmatist, I will immediately put this philosophy to good use...

Who wants a job?!