[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

4 hours ago, Sahadara said:

Is there any information regarding when the official SigmaDimensions support will be available? Perhaps as part of Part 2? Or will it be further down the line? Not asking for specific dates just if there's a general idea.

Probably further down the line. Say, 0.8 when most of the bodies will be finished (maybe). The thing is SigmaDimensions should already work on KSS, it's just that we're planning custom configs for SD (like GPP's rescale options) in the future.

1 hour ago, Greatness101 said:

Probably further down the line. Say, 0.8 when most of the bodies will be finished (maybe). The thing is SigmaDimensions should already work on KSS, it's just that we're planning custom configs for SD (like GPP's rescale options) in the future.

I was under the impression that it would just work out of the box as well, because it just scales everything up, but I tried it out and the pack failed to load when SigmaDimensions was installed.

1 hour ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

How do I get tropical Laythe? Which download is it in?

On 10/26/2017 at 6:50 PM, Greatness101 said:

Updating existing systems is always higher priority than making new systems. Tropical Laythe is already high priority which is why it's slated for 0.7 part 2, the very next update scheduled to be released.

33 minutes ago, Nexusfire285 said:

Hey @StarCrusher96, do you have any idea when KSS 0.7 part 2 will be out, or at least how much work you have left? That would be great! :)

Soon. We've gotten into the final testing stages of the Kerolon System, and most of what you'll see on the Planned Features page is final, give or take a couple things, but other than that I can say definitely within the next couple weeks :wink:

On 11/13/2017 at 7:25 PM, StarCrusher96 said:
On 11/13/2017 at 6:57 PM, Mine_Turtle said:

Any idea why scatterer config window gets disabled? I can neither invoke scatterer config window in main menu(alt+f10), nor can I edit scatterer config file as it gets overwritten after the game exits. This happens only with KSS installed.

Isn't it alt + f11? KSS has configs that overwrites stock scatterersettings. Changing settings ingame will always be overwritten by the settings made in the "Scatterer_RemoveStock"-Patch. So if you want to make changes to the stock celestials you need to edit the patch instead.

I had this same problem when I added the Kelnis System(0.7.1), where I was no longer able to bring up the Scatterer config menu in the main menu, so I looked at the log and found that Scatterer was running into something like an array index out of bounds error ( don't recall the exact error ) for Ora.  I removed Ora from KSS/KSS_Scatterer/Configs/Scatterer_PlanetList.cfg and Scatterer was able to properly load and I was able to bring up the Scatterer menu once again.

However I was not satisfied with just removing it, so I dug a little deeper and found that it was pqs.ChildSpheres[0] in Scatterer that was throwing the error, which seemed to indicate an issue with Ora's Kopernicus config KSS/KopernicusFiles/Kelnis System/Ora/Ora.cfg.  I'm not a developer but I play one at work, and it looks like there is a missing `}` bracket on line 558 needed to close off `landClasses` before `scatters`.  I added the bracket, re-enabled Ora in Scatterer_PlanetList.cfg, and Scatterer now loads Ora and the Scatterer menu comes up properly.

Oh, I'd also like to state that this mod is incredible! I can't begin to imagine how much time has been put into it, I'm not worthy of it's awesomeness, but thank you so much for sharing it with the rest of us.

On 21.11.2017 at 9:53 PM, StarCrusher96 said:

For KSS it’s very easy (you can find some info on the wiki)

• In System Orbits 1:11. -> 1/11th AU is called a KAU. (Kerbal Astronomical Unit)
  • Radius 1:10. 
  • Stellar distances are too close to eachother to be realistic but scaled like this (warning: not logical math)

For Nova Kirbani, Kirb: 

~ Alpha Centauri A

distance: 4.37 ly -> 43.7 / 2 = 21.85 / 1.5 = 14.56 Tm away from Kerbin

The distance to Kirb is called 1 KIU. (Kerbal Interstellar Unit)

I'm now at the moment of creating simulation and I have a question. Does "Radius 1:10" mean mass should be changed appropriately to the density, or mass should be left as is? For example, should Kerbin be simulated with mass 5.96E+25 or 5.96E+22?

1 hour ago, WakabaGyaru said:

I'm now at the moment of creating simulation and I have a question. Does "Radius 1:10" mean mass should be changed appropriately to the density, or mass should be left as is? For example, should Kerbin be simulated with mass 5.96E+25 or 5.96E+22?

If you're messing with Universe Sandbox and you are trying to rescale everything, then everything has to be moved to 1:1 ratios, so orbits have to be bumped up to 11x their in-game size, and radii would need to bump up 10x, while mass would stay the same, since they would have the same surface gravity.

On 11/23/2017 at 2:22 PM, Greatness101 said:

The rescale options were removed from GPP and split into a separate mod that works for all planet packs, as long as the planet cfgs are written correctly. 

if KSS doesn’t work with this, there are some changes in your cfgs that need to made. 

14 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@WakabaGyaru

Kerbin should be simulated as earth. The kerbol system is just a scaled version of the solar system, and looks like a mix between stock and the real solar system. 

So... Then why does density of all bodies in KSS is x10 than it's IRL prototypes? I mean,

Mercury IRL mass is 3.33E+23kg radius is 2440km and density is 5.4g/cm^3, Moho in game mass is 3.32E+21kg, radius is 244km and density is 54.6g/cm^3, so simulated Moho parameters should be mass is 3.32E+24kg, radius is 2440km and density 54.6g/cm^3 - it turns out that Moho actually should be simulated as 10 times heavier than Mercury.

Is this feature intentional or did I (Universe Sandbox^2, actually) made some mistake in my calculations?

@WakabaGyaru

Same gravity in a body 10 times smaller means it needs to be 10 times as dense to achieve the same gravity of the IRL celestial. Otherwise all the bodies in KSP would have very low surface gravities. So density/10 is what you need to do for you simulation. The opening screen of Universe Sandbox 2 is the solar system, that’s your simulation. Just increase Voon’s (Saturn) mass and density and scale the orbits of its moons to the new radii.

Edited by StarCrusher96

3 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@WakabaGyaru

Same gravity in a body 10 times smaller means it needs to be 10 times as dense to achieve the same gravity of the IRL celestial. Otherwise all the bodies in KSP would have very low surface gravities.

Oh, so the point is to achieve the same gravity, not just make them 10 times smaller, I see.

For KSS it’s very easy (you can find some info on the wiki)

By the way, I didn't found anything related rescaling and simulating in KSS wiki. What did I missed?

@WakabaGyaru

http://kerbal-star-systems.wikia.com/wiki/Standard_Units_of_Measurement

Under ‘Other’ -> helpfull, you can find this page that explains the units in KSS. In the infoboxes of the celestials all orbital information is mentioned. There is nothing more to explain than what’s already been mentioned here on the forum.

distances between planets: 1:11

distances between moons: 1:10 - some are scaled differently (a little closer or further) to keep them playable.

distances between stars: scaled as explained on a previous page.

radius: 1:10

density: 10:1

gravity: 1:1

13 hours ago, Galileo said:

The rescale options were removed from GPP and split into a separate mod that works for all planet packs, as long as the planet cfgs are written correctly. 

if KSS doesn’t work with this, there are some changes in your cfgs that need to made. 

When I tried using SigmaDimensions with KSS it caused Kopernicus to not load the pack. I can provide logs if that would help but you said that if it doesn't work, there must be some changes to be made to the cfgs. What could be wrong in a config that would still allow the system to load normally (like KSS does) but not let it load when SigmaDimensions is used?