[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

44 minutes ago, Scotskerb said:

Quick question: does the microdebris shield currently have an in-game use, or is it purely cosmetic?

According to the wiki, It can withstand temperatures up to 5000K. You could use it as a aerocapture device, Prehaps?

1 hour ago, Asarjan said:

so there is no possibility to use this mod without altering the stock system?

By design, no. It does a lot more than just add planets --it adds history, philosophy, a mini-game, realism, and a consistent and better art style to all bodies. Why do you want unchanged stock when the stock bodies themselves now are as unique as any extrasolar body?

42 minutes ago, Scotskerb said:

Quick question: does the microdebris shield currently have an in-game use, or is it purely cosmetic?

It's cosmetic. There is no mod that generates space particles that you can defend against. But it's very effective for aerobraking at gas planets.

9 minutes ago, Noel32 said:

If I start playing this with the basic version and MKS will I be able to add further systems to my save later?

If by basic you mean Extended Kerbol then yes. 

2 hours ago, Asarjan said:

You could simply download the other systems without Extended Kerbol (KSS without systems downloaded just adds parts, new stars, and some flags)

Edited by Saltshaker

3 minutes ago, Saltshaker said:

If by basic you mean Extended Kerbol then yes. 

You could simply download the other systems without Extended Kerbol (KSS without systems downloaded just adds parts and some flags)

The KSS devs are not going to like that. It wastes their effort that the KSS modules are being added to the plain old stock system. Also, those modules will break because the planets they add will have no stars to orbit, and the sunflares will break because KSS Core contains all the stars.

4 minutes ago, Noel32 said:

If I start playing this with the basic version and MKS will I be able to add further systems to my save later?

KSS is designed that it is safe to add and remove its planets unlike most other planet mods.

2 hours ago, Asarjan said:

I'm afraid not. And it's likely not going to be a feature either :/

33 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The KSS devs are not going to like that. It wastes their effort that the KSS modules are being added to the plain old stock system. Also, those modules will break because the planets they add will have no stars to orbit, and the sunflares will break because KSS Core contains all the stars.

Well, the reason there's a KSS Basic and the Extended Kerbol System is for players that want to play KSS without destroying their computer. The intended use was for those with little RAM, but I suppose you can install other star systems with the KSS Basic

So i just plummeted through voon's atmosphere. Instead of being met with a gas giant's "surface", i got a blocky version of kerbin.
screenshot72_by_kjack1111-dbwe01x.png

EDIT: I attempted to land on the surface. do not attempt to land on the surface.

Edited by kjack1111
what.

6 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

No i can tell from the picture what went wrong.

Alright. Also, all of the gas giants are possibly afflicted with this. I've confirmed it for jool and oran. Headed off for the night, best of luck and wishes.

Edited by kjack1111

So, at this point, I've got everything pretty much working.  KSS is more than happy to run alongside the parts and gameplay mods, and I think it actually loads up a bit faster than with Part 1.

However, Kerbin-Side is still confused with the new heightmap.  So, a little bit of code surgery is required.  :)

I know what I need to do, specifically go through the various base files and update their elevations.  (I've asked the questions over on the Kerbin-Side thread on which number to update, to make life a little easier on my end, though I'm confident I can determine that myself if need be.)

The question I have for @StarCrusher96:

I'm sure this process will involve a lot of times going into and out of the game, and I'll admit I'd like to find a way to do that where I don't have to wait the 10-15 minute load time.  So, for Kerbin-Side troubleshooting purposes only, is there a way I can install just the KSS modified Kerbin into an otherwise stock game?  I just need something where I can bounce around Kerbin, check elevations for the various locations, and check the results after I've updated them.

It's not a gotta-have, but it's a nice-to-have.  :)

Regardless, everything is looking awesome, and I'm looking forward to delving into it!

11 minutes ago, RobFalcon said:

So, at this point, I've got everything pretty much working.  KSS is more than happy to run alongside the parts and gameplay mods, and I think it actually loads up a bit faster than with Part 1.

However, Kerbin-Side is still confused with the new heightmap.  So, a little bit of code surgery is required.  :)

I know what I need to do, specifically go through the various base files and update their elevations.  (I've asked the questions over on the Kerbin-Side thread on which number to update, to make life a little easier on my end, though I'm confident I can determine that myself if need be.)

The question I have for @StarCrusher96:

I'm sure this process will involve a lot of times going into and out of the game, and I'll admit I'd like to find a way to do that where I don't have to wait the 10-15 minute load time.  So, for Kerbin-Side troubleshooting purposes only, is there a way I can install just the KSS modified Kerbin into an otherwise stock game?  I just need something where I can bounce around Kerbin, check elevations for the various locations, and check the results after I've updated them.

It's not a gotta-have, but it's a nice-to-have.  :)

Regardless, everything is looking awesome, and I'm looking forward to delving into it!

Just use the basic version and go to KSS/KopernicusFiles/VanillaPlanets and delete all the other stock planet folders except from Sun and Kerbin. 

I think that's the easiest and fastest way to get what you need.

1 minute ago, Tonas1997 said:

Can anyone play KSS Basic/Extended + Kirbani System + parts mods on 8Gb DDR3? If so, give me a heads up so I can rush the hardware store and finally play with my ULTIMATE modpack!

I think you can. But it depends on how much parts we're talking about. I don't think you can add +70 more partmods like some others do. 

16 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I think you can. But it depends on how much parts we're talking about. I don't think you can add +70 more partmods like some others do. 

Meh, I do have 64 mods, of which the largest parts mods are:

• B9 Aerospace
  • Interstellar
  • Planetary Base Systems
  • Near Future (everything except Launch Vehicles)
  • SpaceY

Most of my other mods are plugins, fixes and small part packs. The loading time is somewhat acceptable ("~1300 patches applied") with my modest 4Gb but, after a few hours of playing, the loading times increase dramatically.

7 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Meh, I do have 64 mods, of which the largest parts mods are:

• B9 Aerospace
  • Interstellar
  • Planetary Base Systems
  • Near Future (everything except Launch Vehicles)
  • SpaceY

Most of my other mods are plugins, fixes and small part packs. The loading time is somewhat acceptable ("~1300 patches applied") with my modest 4Gb but, after a few hours of playing, the loading times increase dramatically.

well i think KSS adds around 500 extra patches. 4 Gb won't do it. You can try with 8 but I can't say how smooth your game will run. But it will work. 

Edited by StarCrusher96