[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

1 hour ago, Greatness101 said:

Actually that's mostly because of observational bias.

Human technology is better at detecting large and massive planets than small planets, so we can only observe the largest planets in every star system (this is also why most habitable planets found seem to be larger than Earth). Planetary formation models suggest stars that do have planets should have many, so the most likely explanation is that a vast majority of this 17% actually do have more than one planet, it's just that it's very difficult to detect them by current methods.

Plus, this is like saying that moons are really rare, because we've never found a moon outside our solar system before (an exomoon). Well the reason we haven't found any exomoons yet isn't because they don't exist, but because they are very hard to find. Same idea. :P

Good point. I was going to say something similar like "BUT we don't have the technology yet to find a whole lot of small planets." but that's what laziness does :P

On 12/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, Voodoo8648 said:

It was a delta v map of the entire star systems. I haven't yet begun work on just the kerbol system.

How far along are you on this? Could you use an extra set of hands with the calculations? Are you using Kerbin as the point of origin for destinations in each system?

Also, how are you estimating the extra delta-V needed for planetary atmospheres? Direct observation, or do you have an estimation method you're using?

Edited by capi3101

On 12/14/2017 at 12:37 PM, Gyrfalcon5 said:

@themongoose The problem with getting deltaV requirements for interstellar travel is that there are many different speeds/trajectories you can take to get to your destination. DeltaV maps wouldn't be very good for individual systems either, sense spacecraft coming to their SOI would have many different angles/trajectories of entires. The only way a map could work was if you take off from a planet and move to a different planet in the same system.

We have to define what kind of transfer we would use for interstellar transfers on the delta-v map.

Interstellar Hohmann transfers (which would take the least delta v overall) would hardly be the best choice because that would potentially take thousands of years and wouldn't really be practical for KSS users. I think the best method would be to write down the minimum delta v required to get an intercept within fixed amount of time (e.g. 100 years, 500 years, etc.).

As for interplanetary transfers, we could just use ordinary Hohmann trajectories to calculate delta v.

@Voodoo8648 Good idea? Bad idea? :P

Edited by Greatness101

1 minute ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@Greatness101

Maybe a direct trajectory at certain speeds + breaking ? That's how I do it. Burn full power to the system, halfway turning around and start braking + adjusting the trajectory for a capture.

That could work, but a fixed speed means a fixed delta v for all interstellar destinations regardless of distance (since the change in velocity is the same). I think it would make more sense (and it would be easier to calculate, just use the predicted arrival times provided in game with the maneuver node system) if it was time based.

It would still require a mostly direct trajectory with long burns and braking, though. :P

8 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

That could work, but a fixed speed means a fixed delta v for all interstellar destinations regardless of distance (since the change in velocity is the same). I think it would make more sense (and it would be easier to calculate, just use the predicted arrival times provided in game with the maneuver node system) if it was time based.

It would still require a mostly direct trajectory with long burns and braking, though. :P

Yeah I see. 

12 hours ago, Somebody@oncetoldme said:

Help, I install the mod and the stars are there, also Minmus is a comet but there’s no new planets! Please help.

In KSS, Minmus is a comet. As you can read in the installationguide, you need to download the other systems from the Github page.

5 hours ago, RaceToTheMun said:

Where's the Terraformed Duna?

Terraformed Duna will return later in KSS. Don’t expect it to return soon.

6 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

In KSS, Minmus is a comet. As you can read in the installationguide, you need to download the other systems from the Github page.

Terraformed Duna will return later in KSS. Don’t expect it to return soon.

StarCrusher, put the equivalent of those answers in a FAQ on the OP. It might help.

KSP hangs when its about to load into the main menu. It only happens with this installed do you know why? There are no logs as it doesnt crash. I've left it for 30 mins and then had to manually close it. It has happened four times.

53 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

KSP hangs when its about to load into the main menu. It only happens with this installed do you know why? There are no logs as it doesnt crash. I've left it for 30 mins and then had to manually close it. It has happened four times.

How much RAM does your computer have? Which systems do you have installed? What other mods are you playing with?

3 hours ago, fritobandito said:

New user here. 

I just dived into eve, and i'm currently at 24km altitude descending at 7m/s. I should reach the ground sometime tomorrow. This is not amusing.

Is this working as intended or did i mess something up, possibly a mod conflict? 

As intented. Eve ~ Venus and probes can land on Venus without parachutes. So a very slow descend is normal.

Which version of KSS are you using ? because the surface of Eve is very dark in your screenshot?

Edited by StarCrusher96

5 hours ago, fritobandito said:

New user here. 

I just dived into eve, and i'm currently at 24km altitude descending at 7m/s. I should reach the ground sometime tomorrow. This is not amusing.

Is this working as intended or did i mess something up, possibly a mod conflict? 

That's not exactly the best design for KSS Eve's atmosphere. You should probably think of it less as a lander and more as a submarine. Bring plenty of ore and make it more streamlined if you want to get to the surface quickly. :P

Edited by Greatness101

I found a problem.  (using a 100% clean install of KSS 7.3 (manual install) and minimal Interstellar/near future mods (used CKAN).

A high-paying mission to get data from Karkua space was available.  Sounds simple enough, just warp there.

As soon as I enter the gravity influence, the game crashes (warp or no warp) - completely crashed with no bug report.  Then I tried to cheat by setting the Karkua orbit very far away, then I crash into Karkua instantly no matter how far the orbit is.

Another problem - With EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements,  I used CKAN to install the mod and default config file.  CKAN installed 1.2.2-1 (same version as the readme file suggested)  When I run the game, I get a no config error (at the KSC).  I see the clouds and city lights, so I think it's mostly working, but some configuration is wrong and I don't see any settings I can change.  In KSS .6, I found lots of detailed settings in the main menu. 

The error "No config! Please add a config with the content of "EVE_TEXTURE_CONFIG{}" to populate.".  Didn't try EVE without KSS yet.

Is the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements working with KSS 7.3 as EVE intended?

BTW, for getting to EVE (the planet), I simply use a fan engine to get out of the thick stuff,  an atomic airplane to get in/out of the atmosphere. Then I switch to a high ISP plasma thrusters to escape the gravity.  Didn't try a balloon yet.

For warping to other planets and stars, I just use the alcubierre drive and exit warp very near a star or large planet, then let the gravity slow me down to reduce the excess DeltaV.  When the excess Dv is under 2000m/s, I can get in a stable orbit with a few mins of thrusters.

Looks like a challenge !!:  https://www.atmcomm.com/imagebucket/untitled.png

Edited by enewmen

We need a name for the entire galaxy/star cluster in KSS!

Go to this poll to help us choose: http://www.strawpoll.me/14660465

Disclaimer: The actual decision will be made by Starcrusher. It is possible that none of these ideas will be used if we find a more fitting name than what is in the survey.

Edited by Greatness101

4 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

Disclaimer: The actual decision will be made by Starcrusher. It is possible that none of these ideas will be used if we find a more fitting name than what is in the survey.

Kilky way sounds dangerous if you replace the "l" with "n", so no on that.

6 hours ago, Greatness101 said:

How about the Kurb galaxy?