[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I changed the design :) it’s now able to use the engines at almost full thrust. But it has 2 instead of 4 now.

Perhaps the thrust of the plasma engines should be reduced from 4800kn in vac to 4200-4000kn. They will still be very powerful.

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman

On 5/5/2017 at 6:59 AM, Swithmario said:

Hey i am using a mac and i have this weird yellow black line texture thing on 90% of the planets   anyone can help me w this?

I'm sorry to dig up this old post, but i had a related problem this week installing the recent kss on my Linux pc: The corona's of stars were showing up as black/yellow striped surfaces.

https://imgur.com/FxARzAs
The mod itself worked just as described in the tutorial, and all the planets showed up in their colours, although a bit plain.
https://imgur.com/WUZ7TKa

So after research i found out it had to do something with the DDS-files. Converting the Kerbol corona to png and adjusting the config (and flipping it over 180deg) confirmed this statement by showing a Corona around Kerbol.
https://imgur.com/q2r8Wsy

So i could manually change the star-corona' s to resolve the yellow lines-problem and make the mod playable. But to manually convert and change all the files is not an option for me. 
I would love to enjoy this mod in its full glory as shown in this thread.

Is there any change for a fix?

Ps: what is the planet called on this last picture??
https://imgur.com/dUMBBeu

Edited by TAR Space
Unfinished post

11 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I changed the design :) it’s now able to use the engines at almost full thrust. But it has 2 instead of 4 now.

The 'real' ISV Venture Star had its antimatter engines pointing slightly outwards, so none (or lower) amounts of radiation would hit the crew compartment.

2 hours ago, TAR Space said:

Ps: what is the planet called on this last picture??
https://imgur.com/dUMBBeu

The planet is called Glitch, orbiting the star 404 Cancri E.

I think that the 'planet' on the loading screen is just a glitch. As far as I know, there is no planet with that kind of odd texture. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Try reinstalling KSS, but I am not familiar with Linux, so I can't help you on that level.

Hope this helps, WK

Files Recovered From K.S.S. Kreminus's Floppy Disk:

'Jool X' Interplanetary Spacecraft

The Jool X (better name pending) is a nuclear-powered interplanetary spacecraft. Constructed during the technological revolution of Omnikence, the Jool X is a mish-mash of several ideas, some old and some new. The spacecraft was designed to take cargo and Kerbals on trips to from Kerbin, to Duna, occasionally Ike, and back to Kerbin. After the revelation that only using half of your fuel tank for fuel was a complete waste, old aircraft tanks were put inside where the oxidizer would be, adding 3200 units of Liquid Methane to the total amount of fuel.

The spacecraft may not look that big in the images, but I can assure you, that the spacecraft seems a lot bigger when you are piloting a DAV (Duna Ascent Vehicle) to it in LDO. On the topic of planets and celestial bodies, Duna isn't the only place it can go. The Germkan engineers that designed and built it assure us in administration that it can safely get to the orbit of Laythe, drop some ocean probes, and safely return back to Kerbin. Note: antennas are only enough for LDO orbit! (HAS NOT BEEN TESTED). The craft can hold a maximum of 8 kerbals in terrible comfort (not recommended) 4 Kerbals in normal mode, or zero Kerbals in autonomous mode, where it uses the high tech and extremely reliable AR202 computer, with 8MB of Ram (Note: Not enough for KSS).

The Jool X is based of 2 awesome images one of our Chief Runway Cleaners found on the SWW (Solar Wide Web) a year ago. These images contained more images of an unknown planet named 'Mars' and it's presumably one moon, 'Phobos'. Now should be a good time to say that the images above are the 'heavy' variant of Jool X. The heavy variant of Jool X is the only one which we are certain can reach Duna, and may be able to reach Laythe. The light version should be able to at least get to a relatively high apophis above Kerbin, and might, MIGHT be able to reach Duna.

Files Written By Administrator William K. Kormann

Spoiler

pQ5CyTA.jpg

ldFDPkN.jpg

e3JUfLL.jpg

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman

On 3/26/2018 at 6:46 AM, Sahadara said:

This is realistic. Venus' atmosphere has a pressure of ~90 bars. For reference the Saturn V F-1 engines had a combustion chamber pressure of 70 bars. The engine would develop no thrust in the Venusian atmosphere because the outside pressure would be greater. 

(after spending the last few days trying to make a stable stock spin-lifter)

The problem with "realistic" in this case is it's not interesting from a gameplay standpoint. Stock eve is harsh enough that precision landings on Mount Subscribe are considered part of eve return designs, adding to the challange. Setting the values so that rockets dont work at all is just taking away options.

3 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

(after spending the last few days trying to make a stable stock spin-lifter)

The problem with "realistic" in this case is it's not interesting from a gameplay standpoint. Stock eve is harsh enough that precision landings on Mount Subscribe are considered part of eve return designs, adding to the challange. Setting the values so that rockets dont work at all is just taking away options.

I makes it more interesting by forcing you to think creatively. There are already 100+ other bodies in KSS that you can use conventional rockets on. You're confusing "interesting" with "easy".

Real space agencies have to deal with this type of stuff, and so should you. :P

1 minute ago, Cortwade said:

My computer hates me for it to... I get one second of playtime for every three seconds

Check out 'Para Sci Visual Enhancements', also known as EVE for laptops. It adds in some kind of realistic atmospheric glare, along with 2D clouds that doesn't eat your computer alive. When 0.8 comes out, I want to find a way to play with EVE and KSS_Clouds, but somehow make them low quality and 2D. :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

I makes it more interesting by forcing you to think creatively. There are already 100+ other bodies in KSS that you can use conventional rockets on. You're confusing "interesting" with "easy".

Real space agencies have to deal with this type of stuff, and so should you. :P

So have you done a KSS Eve return yet? I mean, if it's as interesting as stock eve return...

26 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

So have you done a KSS Eve return yet? I mean, if it's as interesting as stock eve return...

Try using heisenberg balloons to float yourself down to the surface. For me, I will be using KSS when 0.8 comes out. Which is waiting for Kopernicus.

38 minutes ago, Cortwade said:

My computer hates me for it to... I get one second of playtime for every three seconds

I wonder if lag damages computers?

2 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Try using heisenberg balloons to float yourself down to the surface. For me, I will be using KSS when 0.8 comes out. Which is waiting for Kopernicus.

"just use a mod that makes it easy."

23 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Not every mod out there is for making things easy but for making things make sense. A 1000 stock part replica of your favorite ship from a game or movie is okay if it's just a trophy ship. Expecting that ship to go as far in-game as it can in the movie --on stock fuel and stock engines --does not make sense. If there's a mod that provides high fidelity parts for building the same ship and dropping its part count from 1000 to < 100, installing this mod makes sense. Refusing to install it because you have a phobia of mods does not make sense. :sticktongue:

Any attempt to conquer KSS Eve with stock parts does not make sense.

I have a mod, part of whose purpose is specifically for helping to make landing and ascent on troubling atmo bodies less troubling, but I have not tested the parts in atmo pressure > 10. KSS Eve is quite a niche thing. The only other planet mod that has such an intense planet is RSS.

59 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Check out 'Para Sci Visual Enhancements', also known as EVE for laptops. It adds in some kind of realistic atmospheric glare, along with 2D clouds that doesn't eat your computer alive. When 0.8 comes out, I want to find a way to play with EVE and KSS_Clouds, but somehow make them low quality and 2D. :rolleyes:

If someone made a Para Sci alike visual pack for KSS that could very well get more people downloading KSS. I feel pretty bad for Cortwade and his laptop. :D ....1/3 fps? How do you even play, bro?

1 hour ago, Cortwade said:

Journeys of the Ark, in Pictures!

Now you can follow my baby, the ARK Hyperion, in glorious visualness. Here's the ark on its first leg inside the Kerbol system.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7sXRP

Pretty. :) It's also nice to see that you're going places.

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

phobia of mods

haha :sticktongue:

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If someone made a Para Sci alike visual pack for KSS that could very well get more people downloading KSS. I feel pretty bad for Cortwade and his laptop. :D ....1/3 fps? How do you even play, bro?

All it really adds in is 2D clouds, and when you zoom out, realistic atmospheres, (like scatterer).

I would focus on making a KSS_Clouds with 2D clouds, if I knew how to make clouds. Which I will have a look at doing.

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Heisenberg is one of my favorite mods. If you think that you are a god and can change the laws of physics at your will, go ahead, but I won't be placing any bets today. NASA actually looked into (I think it was NASA) having airships on Venus, that hovered high above the toxic atmosphere. If you don't like Eve, don't go there.

EDIT:                                                                                                                                                                                      

Hooligan labs adds in more scientific looking airship parts, compared to the zeppelin Heisenberg pack.

+Is there any way to get likes it you run out of them?

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman

I would love to see para-scifi EVE here; I messed around with it in stock and it is incredibly performance-light.  It also (sometimes? I struggled to keep it working) adds a particle haze to non atmospheric bodies which gave them a sort of glow.  Really nice looking, and I feel like it might play nicely with the motif.

Say, are you folks aware that low orbit at Jool is around 13 km/s (stock is 5.5)?  In stock I found diving was easy even at hyperbolic trajectories (9+km/s), only needing an inflatable shield. Now- insta-boom (Although the He3 config changes work)
That sort of renders all this talk of atmosphere-diving rather moot without cramming loads of dV on a deorbit stage, although the engine pack I'm developing should play very nicely with KSS.

1 hour ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

EDIT:                                                                                                                                                                                      

Hooligan labs adds in more scientific looking airship parts, compared to the zeppelin Heisenberg pack.

I like the lead airship in particular for Eve. 

32 minutes ago, Maffif said:

I would love to see para-scifi EVE here; I messed around with it in stock and it is incredibly performance-light.  It also (sometimes? I struggled to keep it working) adds a particle haze to non atmospheric bodies which gave them a sort of glow.  Really nice looking, and I feel like it might play nicely with the motif.

Say, are you folks aware that low orbit at Jool is around 13 km/s (stock is 5.5)?  In stock I found diving was easy even at hyperbolic trajectories (9+km/s), only needing an inflatable shield. Now- insta-boom (Although the He3 config changes work)
That sort of renders all this talk of atmosphere-diving rather moot without cramming loads of dV on a deorbit stage, although the engine pack I'm developing should play very nicely with KSS.

I like the lead airship in particular for Eve. 

You mentioned on my profile that Jool is a different size. Check whether it has different gravity too. A KSS-focused engine pack? Very curious.

NASA actually looked into (I think it was NASA) having airships on Venus, that hovered high above the toxic atmosphere. If you don't like Eve, don't go there.

EDIT:                                                                                                                                                                                      

+Is there any way to get likes it you run out of them?

It's NASA's idea, yes. called Project HAVOC.

No, you can only recharge likes by waiting (apparently a whole day).

@JadeOfMaar is there a way to make KSS clouds become 2D instead of 3D? Like something that could be deleted?

You'd have to get StarCrusher's permission (just so that he knows its happening and won't get triggered) and another capable visual modder to write a patch to shave the weight off of KSS Clouds. The other visual modder has to be willing to download everything and skim all those configs.

Visual modding is out of my scope, apart from scatterer sunflares....And it's been a while since I've dealt with scatterer.

58 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You'd have to get StarCrusher's permission (just so that he knows its happening and won't get triggered) and another capable visual modder to write a patch to shave the weight off of KSS Clouds. The other visual modder has to be willing to download everything and skim all those configs.

Visual modding is out of my scope, apart from scatterer sunflares....And it's been a while since I've dealt with scatterer.

@StarCrusher96 has not been active for about a day now, but I will talk to him about the para scifi visuals.