[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

49 minutes ago, Davian Lin said:

Looks like the Kolyphemus System. :p

So, better than Kolyphemus System!

I don't know which computers' parts I need for good gaming...

Are you asking about parts for a smooth KSP run? RAM is very important, then CPU.  KSP barely touches your GPU.

25 minutes ago, arrow01 said:

Is There a map of the delta v for kss?

however, this mod is really enjoying me!

KSS is Amazing!!

Well, the problem with getting a DeltaV map for KSS is that there is really no optimal route between stars because it all depends on how fast you want to get there. Want to get there is 10,000 years? Less DeltaV. 12 years? More DeltaV. Also, calculating the DeltaV required when your spacecraft is coming in at different angles to intercept different bodies at different speeds would be INSANELY difficult. So no, there is no map and there probably will never be one. 

Anyway, thanks for the compliment! We all work very hard on this, especially @StarCrusher96 ! He's the one you should really thank. 

On 4/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, Wilhelm Kerman said:

The name sounds like an old fisherman talking about his harbour. ‘N over ‘ere we ‘ave the ‘arbour!

:)

My whole class is looking at me weird... I bursted out laughing in the middle of it... lol

16 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Wow it is amazing that almost no mods are 1.4.3, no I am not saying "hurry up modders" I am saying squad shouldn't have made this update so soon, and it is merely a small patch. Who else has this view?

Yes, god forbid Squad update their game and fix things and add features. How horrible. /s

Also, anything that worked with 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 has a very high likelihood of working with 1.4.3 anyway. And it appears that this mod doesn't work with 1.4.anything at the moment, so it's a moot point to post here.

Anyway, @StarCrusher96, the mod looks amazing, and I am eagerly looking forward to the next release so I can roll it into my 1.4 install!

6 hours ago, VFB1210 said:

Yes, god forbid Squad update their game and fix things and add features. How horrible. /s

Also, anything that worked with 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 has a very high likelihood of working with 1.4.3 anyway. And it appears that this mod doesn't work with 1.4.anything at the moment, so it's a moot point to post here.

Anyway, @StarCrusher96, the mod looks amazing, and I am eagerly looking forward to the next release so I can roll it into my 1.4 install!

needless comment since starcrusher agreed with me

7 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

needless comment since starcrusher agreed with me

It's also quite needless to even follow up on a subject that fundamentally doesn't have an effect on anything and clog the thread with useless stuff. :P 

A suggestion for KSS, would it be possible to not make other stars appear? Say if I choose only the Nova Kerbani system, for only its stars to appear? Could it be done or would that harm the overall mod? I know that having the other stars appear does slow down the game.

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

A suggestion for KSS, would it be possible to not make other stars appear? Say if I choose only the Nova Kerbani system, for only its stars to appear? Could it be done or would that harm the overall mod? I know that having the other stars appear does slow down the game.

What you could do is just not download the different packs for the star systems you don't want to include! For example, there is a completely optional file for Kerolon. Everything is modular. And a side note: Stars are not the really performance killers, it's the planets! (They have actual textures and such)

4 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Yes you can remove the stars in KopernicusFiles/Stars (except The All, Kerbol and the stars in the system you want), but it doesn't really have any impact on the overall performance really.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm speaking of having KSS Basic installed and the nova kerbani installed, the other stars appear still and yes it does slow down the game, I was just asking if there is a way to not make those appear or if it is rooted in the core mod. Not demanding just asking a question and making a suggestion, don't take it the wrong way

31 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm speaking of having KSS Basic installed and the nova kerbani installed, the other stars appear still and yes it does slow down the game, I was just asking if there is a way to not make those appear or if it is rooted in the core mod. Not demanding just asking a question and making a suggestion, don't take it the wrong way

I know what you mean :P You just have to go to KSS/KopernicusFiles/Stars and remove the files boxed in red (except for the ones that you want to keep). But as I said, the stars don't take up nearly as much storage as the planets do, hence why they're in the KSS_Basic folder :)

I am ready to conquer this mod. I launched a five THOUSAND year long mission (not with this mod, with other worlds reboot in 1.4.2) and yes the mission was a failure but that was because for some reason, despite me launching at the target and having my prograde vector lined up with the target icon, I was at a right angle to the star some how, and thousands of light years away. Any who, using time control, I set it to 2x10^7 time warp, and fast forwarded 5 THOUSAND years, the result, all reactors melted down except one, which was set on 1. I learned a lot from this experience, well that Interstellar space is now opened up to me and my Project Stardust, can be realized. 

Pics for the win

Image may contain: night

No automatic alt text available.

When you're ready, I will jump into this mod and launch ships to EVERY star (with a habitable world ofc) and it may be slow and take thousands of years, but I can do it, without FTL or any shortcut

9 hours ago, elementgermanium said:

After that, try visiting all the planets/moons/that one submoon with one ship. Can it be done? probably not!

I'd be very keen to see someone try! It might cause their computer to collapse into a black hole though, trying to run all those parts...

Actually on second thought the main problem is fuel, I would have to spend time mining and I don't know if I can mine for lithium or any of the fuel NFPropulsion uses, not just my PC not being able to handle all the systems well. I could visit one at a time, then remove them, the stars would still exist and so would the ship in orbit of it. 

BTW, I am taking names for ships, suggest 3 names to me

53 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Actually on second thought the main problem is fuel, I would have to spend time mining and I don't know if I can mine for lithium or any of the fuel NFPropulsion uses, not just my PC not being able to handle all the systems well. I could visit one at a time, then remove them, the stars would still exist and so would the ship in orbit of it. 

BTW, I am taking names for ships, suggest 3 names to me

K.S.S Into Darkness

K.S.S Forward Unto Nebula

K.S.S Stellar Navigator

If these refueling parts are put into 0.8 (which is possible) then you could have a ship that had maybe one refueling tug that harvested He3 from gas giants. It would be really cool.

A new idea that I just had is nebula harvesting. A large buzzard ramjet (or something similar) collects He3. It would have a very very low He3 income, however. A magnetic field would be required, which would need a kraken ton of electric charge.

Somehow, the game would generate certain areas which are gas clouds. It may even be possible to do so with Korlon’s nebula.

Sadly I'm not gonna use Helium 3, I have done some research on starships and helium 3 is too rare to be enough to power a starship unless harvested from a gas giant in mass with giant infrastructure, my designs are based on plausible fuel sources and designs. I currently have stuff that's work in progress, hinted by the post I made, I'm keeping a low profile before I do an announcement. I will be using KSPIE in the second phase of my designs, not the first, however, I do have KSPIE radiators as I can use them to double as a whipple shield. 

Nice to see the Halo hint there

NF Propulsion has a scanner for Xenon and Argon, and an ISRU for harvesting them. It also adds Ore --> Lithium to the Convert-O-Trons. So you can refill anywhere that you can get Ore.

There's a mod called Buzzard Collectors that uses DMagic's dish model as a scoop (more like a particle accelerator that sips on just EC and simply trickles out LF for the stock NTR). Its dev does not know the ins and outs of space resource configs.

Resources in space are doable as spherical regions per celestial and can have differing radii and densities. But there's a very bad glitch with the resource system that prevents making these regions very wide around stars, otherwise the abundance curve flips over and becomes 0 where there should be the most, and becomes infinity where there should be least/zero.

I've made LqdHe3 configs for the KSS home system, with generous values so players don't have to suffer waiting as long during a harvest. Realistic scarcity is not cool if it makes you have to leave KSP open for hours or days to finish the harvest.

Will look into it, I do intend to abandon Kerbalism for these trips, it just isn't viable to make a closed loop base with it, it can be done yes but with barely any crew, so I am looking at USI. I'm planning a test launch tonight to see what 5 thousands years or so of transit, what damage it does with kerbalism installed. It''s entirely what influences my designs to not have one or two engines, cause that would be suicide, I am interested now in making the ship more modular, so say, in flight two engines fail, I could detach the front, detach the working engine, and put it at the front, all while the whipple shield is detached in front. This lets me have just 2 engines and able to move them around. My whipple shields are now radiators, so not only does it protect against the rare occurrence of meeting dust, which I looked into, but from a gameplay perspective, it reduces mass as the shield cools the reactor and has an actual use rather than me butting a large metal plate or heat shield which does nothing

But yeah, I have to move away form kerbalism, AGAIN, which is hard for me as I am used to it and it giving me values like power generation etc. I hope kerbal health gets updated soon, I am running tests. I have dangit installed, and tonights test is on reliability. With time control, you can use liquid fuel to go to any star, just that it will take years, that's kinda a copy out, in reality we need to be fast, also there is a point where waiting for better engines doesn't work as those engines would come long after you are half way. A lot of reading on atomic rockets. So for this reason, I have a speed vs reliability concept. I can make the ships go faster but increase the chances of damage, such as, gambling with the odds and not having a whipple shield, having the engines drag the ship along, go faster but the damage from dust increases, go too slow and the damage from failure becomes unbearable. I'm testing to find the optimum speed, which now includes a high energy burn outward, then a rapid burn star wards, to slingshot into interstellar space.