[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

4 hours ago, walkman01 said:

Just dropping in to let everyone know I've been refreshing this thread about once an hour for the past 3 days to see if 0.8 has come out yet. I might have a heart attack when it happens.

The first part is almost done :) StarCrusher needs to finish updating and fixing everything and it should be out soon. Can't say when though :P

RELEASE KERBAL STAR SYSTEMS pre-0.8

Test version / pre-release of KSS 0.8

Contains:

• KSS_Basic: Stock overhaul -> You start with downloading and installing this one
  • KSS_Extended_Kerbol_System: Outerplanets
  • KSS_Kermes_Galaxy: New Galactic lay-out of stars
  • scatterer and EVE settings
  • Updated parts 

Changelog of 0.8 can be found on the KSS wiki
https://kerbal-star-systems.wikia.com/wiki/Planned_Features

WHY NO OTHER STARSYSTEMS?

• Sorry guys but this update is too big and comes with too many changes to release everything at once. So I decided to release the new lay out + the closest objects to Kerbol for testing and to get KSS to 1.4.x.
    The Kermes Galaxy changes the whole KSS perspective and I need to iron out the problems first before adding 150+ other celestials.
    In a few days I'll upload Nova Kirbani-, Kelnis-, Kormin- and the Kerolon System. After fixing bugs from that release the new sytems will follow.

THE KERMES GALAXY?

EXTRA

• Installation X

screenshot29.png?dl=1

Thx to all devs and anyone who helped KSS. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

Uploaded a fix in KSS_BASIC for Novus. For those who already have KSS 0.8 installed: Go to KSS/KopernicusFiles/Stars and remove/rename Nova_Arm /to Nova Arm. That will fix Novus.

Edited by StarCrusher96

I found out that resources of MKS should spawn literally on every planet in the game. Maybe I will manage my time to make patch adding extraplanetary deposits of super-rare resources such as Karborundum or He3 (I wonder if you [StraCrusher] want to migrate to CRP  where is actually made He3 resource config that a lot of modders are using and It would help getting rid of duplication)

KSS .8 feedback:

First I totally thank the team for making the whole thing and releasing a pre-version so people can get started sooner.

Here is what I notice.  The GOOD news is all KSS .8 (from the zip files) works with 1.4.2 on the first install using the newest Kopernicus - ModularFlightIntergrator - ModuleManager  from CKAN.   I also suggest using KSP 1.4.2 with KSS .8 if you're using KSP-IE, Near Future, USI, etc. because those other mods just MOSTLY work with 1.4.3 - it will take even longer for those mods to install easily with CKAN.

With KSS installed (even only the basic part) EVERYTHING runs 10x slower,  slower fps   10fps instead of 100fps, slower time (1 second of Kerbin time takes 10 seconds of Earth time) , slower controls, etc.  Reducing the graphics to min didn't change anything.  Also removing EVE and Scatterer didn't make things any faster.   Kerbin turns all black sometimes with scatterer (it seems).     I just remove the /GameData/KSS folder then everything runs fast and clean again.

Objects in the Mun orbit disappear without a manual save AND I'm not able to do any asteroid/solar missions (these are old bugs).    I understand this is not a final version and  maybe I'm using the wrong version of Kopernicus even if it seems to work.  I see clouds on kerbin (with the EVE mod and the zip file), but not Duna.  I also notice the clouds on Jool don't move - so I think I'm doing something wrong.

Now I'm currently running only the Basic and Extended parts and ready for a manned mission to Duna.   Just slide the pizza under the door.

Edited by enewmen

Hey yall! I'm new here so go easy on me if I'm being a PIA but I'm having some trouble getting this beautiful mod installed and I'd really like to try it out. I followed all the steps in the video and on the guide as closely as I could but to no avail. I'm running KSP 1.4.4 and the KSS 0.8 pre-release but my game shows absolutely no signs of the mod except an extra minute or two of load time. Any tips?

@enewmen

i think you’re not using 0.8.

0.8 runs faster than 0.7.3, named bugs are all gone. I get easily 30-50 fps. 10 worst case but still?

you did install it correctly right?

1 hour ago, blainer98 said:

Hey yall! I'm new here so go easy on me if I'm being a PIA but I'm having some trouble getting this beautiful mod installed and I'd really like to try it out. I followed all the steps in the video and on the guide as closely as I could but to no avail. I'm running KSP 1.4.4 and the KSS 0.8 pre-release but my game shows absolutely no signs of the mod except an extra minute or two of load time. Any tips?

Make sure the kopernicus version matches your KSP version. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@enewmen

i think you’re not using 0.8.

0.8 runs faster than 0.7.3, named bugs are all gone. I get easily 30-50 fps. 10 worst case but still?

you did install it correctly right?

I'm sure it's .8 and running on KSP 1.4.2.  I'll re-download and try again.

EDIT:  What is the KopernicusExpansion  folder inside the KSS_0.8_BASIC.zip for?  Can I just use the Kopernicus version for my KSP ?

EDIT2:  Ok.  I did a 100% clean STOCK install and installed the KSS_0.8_BASIC with minimum mods.  Now I get a more decent 19fps and all runs a lot smoother !  :D   I have a 6 core haswell Xeon, 16 gigs RAM, and a Nvidia 680.  The 680 is enough for Witcher 3 and GTA V to run on high settings.  I think StarCrusher96 has something better than a 680 and it's time for me to upgrade.  

I'll systematically install mods 1 by 1 and see if there's a conflict.

Edited by enewmen

1 hour ago, enewmen said:

I'm sure it's .8 and running on KSP 1.4.2.  I'll re-download and try again.

EDIT:  What is the KopernicusExpansion  folder inside the KSS_0.8_BASIC.zip for?  Can I just use the Kopernicus version for my KSP ?

Kopernicus expansion just adds comettails and glowing lava.

you still need regular kopernicus though.

And make sure you deleted all previous kss content.

I was able to find/repeat/fix (work around)  the speed problem (works for me).  After installing the KSS .8, everything including time runs SLOW and sluggish like 4-7 Earth seconds for every Kerbin second.  To fix, do an in atmosphere flight, warp the speed time to 4x, back to 1x, DONE - do something else.  After an in atmosphere warp, seconds go by at a normal rate and controls run normally.   The FPS didn't improve much, but everything seems to run much faster - like faster than KSS .7.3

EDIT:  Even the 100% stock game has the same problem.  Just more obvious while using KSS.

Edited by enewmen

On 7/22/2018 at 3:15 PM, StarCrusher96 said:

RELEASE KERBAL STAR SYSTEMS pre-0.8

Test version / pre-release of KSS 0.8

Contains:

• KSS_Basic: Stock overhaul -> You start with downloading and installing this one
  • KSS_Extended_Kerbol_System: Outerplanets
  • KSS_Kermes_Galaxy: New Galactic lay-out of stars
  • scatterer and EVE settings
  • Updated parts 

<snip>

Thank you so much for all of you and your teams hard work!  I actually have a clean install of KSP that has been on my computer for the last few months waiting for this moment, cant wait to dig in!

On 7/24/2018 at 4:14 AM, enewmen said:

EDIT2:  Ok.  I did a 100% clean STOCK install and installed the KSS_0.8_BASIC with minimum mods.  Now I get a more decent 19fps and all runs a lot smoother !  :D   I have a 6 core haswell Xeon, 16 gigs RAM, and a Nvidia 680.  The 680 is enough for Witcher 3 and GTA V to run on high settings.  I think StarCrusher96 has something better than a 680 and it's time for me to upgrade.  

The GPU is largely irrelevant to KSP so bragging rights like that mean nothing. ;) Due to being a physics sim, KSP is heavily CPU-biased and likely, the visual mods need to be rewritten by fresh modders who're up to the task of creating and maintaining shaders.

On 7/24/2018 at 2:26 AM, blainer98 said:

I'm running KSP 1.4.4

There's your problem. Kopernicus is not available for this version.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, ocso639 said:

Is this version for 1.4.4 or just 1.4.3?

See above quote.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:32 PM, MrFancyPL said:

I have a small question, is KSS compatibile with MKS resources ?

Yes. MKS resources appear everywhere on their own.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Imagine landing a ship on Trytho and seeing geysers in the distance! I was going to hold off on installing until the full thing is released but I don't know if I'll be able to now.

However, I can't seem to find a 1.4.3 download on KSP's website, and Kopernicus isn't updated to 1.4.4. I don't have it through Steam, so I can't switch versions easily. Is there any way for me to get KSP 1.4.3, or will I have to wait until Kopernicus is updated?

Edited by walkman01
Update problems

3 hours ago, walkman01 said:

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Imagine landing a ship on Trytho and seeing geysers in the distance! I was going to hold off on installing until the full thing is released but I don't know if I'll be able to now.

However, I can't seem to find a 1.4.3 download on KSP's website, and Kopernicus isn't updated to 1.4.4. I don't have it through Steam, so I can't switch versions easily. Is there any way for me to get KSP 1.4.3, or will I have to wait until Kopernicus is updated?

If you want KSP 1.4.3, you need to have the steam version. There you can use the beta feature to download it.