[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

EDIT:  Awesome.  Got it to work.  The instructions in the readme file supersede (and, evidently, conflict with) the ones in the instillation wiki and the video.  The version of Kopernicus you need is NOT 1.3.1-3 as indicated in the install wiki (and is NOT something you read from the install wiki as implied in the video).  It's actually the version that corresponds to the version of KSP you have installed (as spelled out in the readme).

So I had KSP 1.4.3, and had to use Kopernicus 1.4.3-2 (no idea if 1.4.3-1 would work, nor do I intend to try).  The other trick is realizing where to actually find the correct version of Kopernicus ... the link on the link to its page (yes, I said that right; it's not a copy/paste error) in the install wiki takes you only part of the way (It's like buying a ticket to Paris, but the plane just drops you in London, expects you to know London isn't Paris - which, admittedly, is something all the "This is London" signs should clue you in to - then abandons you in London, and expects you know to just swim to Paris).

EDIT #2 (To avoid unnecessary forum spam):  @StarCrusher96 Not a problem!  Figured it'd be useful for you to know to cut down on more newbies like me spamming you with "I tried to install KSS but couldn't get it to work."  Incidentally, I got it completely installed (specifically, I have successfully installed and run all of the 0.8 modules along with EVE and Shader).  Not only does it look fantastic, I'm surprised at how little of a hit to performance it caused (sure, fps went down, but I was expecting that, and it is still extremely playable).  Looking forward to exploring your (not so) little alternate universe here!  (Yep, KSP is ignoring time of day as you pointed out in the known issues - it's actually kind of otherworldly looking...)

Edited by ceaars

I just visited your GitHub repository for the 1st time but it seems the mod source is not synched remotely compared to your local source... i.e. your repository is completely blank.

Are you intending to use GitHub as the open platform it is intended to be so that issues, pull request and feature requests can get posted against the mod?

34 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I just visited your GitHub repository for the 1st time but it seems the mod source is not synched remotely compared to your local source... i.e. your repository is completely blank.

Are you intending to use GitHub as the open platform it is intended to be so that issues, pull request and feature requests can get posted against the mod?

I'm not too familiar with Github so I'm not really intending to do a lot with it except using it as a download platform. But would it have any more advantages besides giving me more work?

Edited by StarCrusher96

49 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I'm not too familiar with Github so I'm not really intending to do a lot with it except using it as a download platform. But would it have any more advantages besides giving me more work?

It’s doesnt give you more work, in fact it does quite the opposite. 

So like... is this supposed to be happening? :sealed:

Running KSS basic, without any other (visual) mods installed.
Also tried it with EVE and scatterer (and KSS extended and the other systems), but it's still the same.
Figured it might have something to do with my graphics settings, so I included a screenshot of those as well.

imgur pic

4 minutes ago, Kangroozeeh said:

So like... is this supposed to be happening? :sealed:

Running KSS basic, without any other (visual) mods installed.
Also tried it with EVE and scatterer (and KSS extended and the other systems), but it's still the same.
Figured it might have something to do with my graphics settings, so I included a screenshot of those as well.

imgur pic

I advice to read the README included in KSS_Basic

Spoiler

## Known Issues

* KSC is 'frozen', day-night cycle broken. This is a known bug caused by moving Kerbin to another star. Yes KSS did this! Nothing can fix this. 

* KSC is glitching in and out the landscape. -> zoom out or change the angle to temporary fix this. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

3 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I advice to read the README included in KSS_Basic

Hide contents

## Known Issues

* KSC is 'frozen', day-night cycle broken. This is a known bug caused by moving Kerbin to another star. Yes KSS did this! Nothing can fix this. 

* KSC is glitching in and out the landscape. -> zoom out or change the angle to temporary fix this. 

Ok thanks! Wasn't sure if the README wasn't outdated thought there might have been a solution by now.

I keep getting errors like this filling the Alt+F12 console. What does this mean?

Spoiler

[EXC 09:56:19.350] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar+<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<GetNearest>b__0 (Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar s)
    System.Linq.SortSequenceContext`2[Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar,System.Single].Initialize (Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar[] elements)
    System.Linq.QuickSort`1[Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar].PerformSort ()
    System.Linq.QuickSort`1+<Sort>c__Iterator21[Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar].MoveNext ()
    System.Linq.Enumerable.First[KopernicusStar] (IEnumerable`1 source)
    Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.GetNearest (.CelestialBody body)
    KopernicusExpansion.CometTail.CometTailController.GetTarget ()
    KopernicusExpansion.CometTail.CometTailController.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 09:56:19.351] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar+<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<GetNearest>b__0 (Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar s)
    System.Linq.SortSequenceContext`2[Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar,System.Single].Initialize (Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar[] elements)
    System.Linq.QuickSort`1+<Sort>c__Iterator21[Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar].MoveNext ()
[EXC 09:56:19.351] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 09:56:19.352] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 09:56:19.352] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 09:56:19.353] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

7 hours ago, Krimverse said:

Anyone else having visual issues with scatterer even when flying? I don't even have other visual mods installed. 

Visual issues like? Need prove ...

2 hours ago, Turf said:

I keep getting errors like this filling the Alt+F12 console. What does this mean?

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 09:56:19.350] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 09:56:19.353] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Those errors dont occur when scatterer is not installed. Why they do occur, i have no idea but it doensn’t influence gameplay.

19 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I'm not sure how it gives you more work but the benefits of using a Git repository properly, as a non exhaustive list, are:

It makes it easy for others to contribute to your projects at source.

Documentation!

Allows others to raise issues and code changes directly against files that may be causing bugs etc.

The repository archives all changes make to all files so it's a great way of storing old versions of files included in the repository.

It makes it super easy for multiple people to work on the same project whilst making sure everyone is using the latest versions of the mod files.

P.S. I'm sure a good advert of using a Git in the intended way is to look at nearly all the good, highly endorsed mods for KSP featured on this forum. Nearly all the complex, invested mods have a Git platform ingrained into their development scheme.

Edited by Poodmund