[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

Hello ! Could you tell us around which planets the KSS Particle Scoop can be used ?

I haven't managed to collect anything around Jool for example, even with the scoop deployed, and with empty Liquid Helium 3 tanks, and Electric Charge available.

Thanks!

@TonyC The KSS scoop works in low orbit and atmosphere of nearly every gas giant planet, and somewhere in low orbit of nearly every star. When you click Deploy, the scanner module should activate and give you non-zero values if you're in the SOI of any of these worlds.

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@TonyC The KSS scoop works in low orbit and atmosphere of nearly every gas giant planet, and somewhere in low orbit of nearly every star. When you click Deploy, the scanner module should activate and give you non-zero values if you're in the SOI of any of these worlds.

Yes! It works in low orbit Kerbol, but I haven't managed to make it work around Keles, nor Vael and Mirn, the three gas giants from the Kirb star in the Nova Kirbani System, in addition to Jool. Is that normal ?

Edit : checked all the gas planets in the Nova Kirbani pack, none seem to provide

Edited by TonyC
added info

@TonyC I guess that's normal, by which I mean, I cannot and do not guarantee every star and gas giant in KSS will have a Helium presence. All of these have to be manually added to the config for it all, and for that to happen, more players need to get around, test, and give feedback.

Hey @StarCrusher96 sorry I sent you a DM about this earlier but the log file was pasted (mistake #1) and way outdated (mistake #2) and without relevant info (mistake #3) or reproduction info (mistake #4)

Really severe graphical bug. Help appreciated. Not sure if this is the right place to put it.

Version: KSP 1.4.5 x64

Windows 10

Launching manually via KSPx64

Using Kopernicus 1.4.5-4 and latest release of KSS

Image of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/QuMGWUg

output_log: https://www.4shared.com/office/GjMqNNbFgm/output_log.html

Would be really awesome if I could get help with this. Happens regardless of whether I use a bunch of mods or just this on its own.

Edited by Fastfishy2

1 hour ago, Fastfishy2 said:

Hey @StarCrusher96 sorry I sent you a DM about this earlier but the log file was pasted (mistake #1) and way outdated (mistake #2) and without relevant info (mistake #3) or reproduction info (mistake #4)

Really severe graphical bug. Help appreciated. Not sure if this is the right place to put it.

Windows 10

Would be really awesome if I could get help with this. Happens regardless of whether I use a bunch of mods or just this on its own.

Is it the weird terrain at the space center? That is entirely normal. The bug with the rainbow looking thing once happened to me when I used a different planet pack. What mods are you using?

The time it happened to me, it turned out that the Kerbol system was inside a giant sun, with the normal sun at the core of that sun. You should check to see if that is the case.

1 hour ago, Major_Jeb said:

Is it the weird terrain at the space center? That is entirely normal. The bug with the rainbow looking thing once happened to me when I used a different planet pack. What mods are you using?

The time it happened to me, it turned out that the Kerbol system was inside a giant sun, with the normal sun at the core of that sun. You should check to see if that is the case.

Yeah the space center terrain glitch. Also has the issue of not being able to click some buildings at certain angles. I also tend to get the white sky effect when flying / eva on kerbin, will see if this is still the case. If kerbin somehow HAS managed to dump itself inside a sun, how do I fix that?

2 hours ago, Major_Jeb said:

Yeah it isn't trapped inside a star or anything, it's just weird. Some of the other stars (Karkua for instance) also only show up black with a white outline.

9 hours ago, Fastfishy2 said:

Yeah the space center terrain glitch. Also has the issue of not being able to click some buildings at certain angles. I also tend to get the white sky effect when flying / eva on kerbin, will see if this is still the case. If kerbin somehow HAS managed to dump itself inside a sun, how do I fix that?

1. The terrain glitch is *normal*? I have had that glitch with every planet pack I have installed. Just use the buttons on the left hand side of the screen.

2. If Kerbin is inside of the sun (which it probably isn't) then you should just reinstall KSS. It probably isn't though, as when I had that odd glitch I was combining all kinds of planet packs that I never bothered to read the compatability section on the forum pages.

I can't really remember it well, but I think I was using 'To Boldy Go' and 'Kerbal Galaxy' when that glitch occurred.

At that point in time KSS was in 0.6, and I never knew it existed.

Edited by Major_Jeb

I really want this mod but i had some trouble with downloading it.

i do know how to download mods and I've read the instructions to download and i have a good pc but when the mods and stuff loaded and the loading screen popped up the main title screen music was playing but the loading screen was still there. i kept it there for a few hours and it was still loading, the loading icon wasn't stuttering. i really don't know what i did wrong. i may have been my usual self and been stupid, but i just wanted to know what i did wrong or if its something else.

but i'm really excited to use this mod! :D

nevermind im an idiot XD. i forgot to read through the instructions better because it says "Some time during the initial loading. Starting KSP with KSS can take some time, depending on your computer specs." i just didnt give it time, sorry for the accident. i sometimes am blind to things that are right in my face glowing with arrows pointing at it :sticktongue:

Edited by OPBlue
i read the instructions again....

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 3:44 PM, Fastfishy2 said:

Windows 10

About the rainbow ring - For me it went away when I installed the INSTANTIATOR-V1.0 mod. I should mention that I uninstalled Scatterer at the same time but I suspect you need Instantiator.

I know it says in the OP that this mod isn't ready for review but I've been having a lot of fun with it as is and I'm running it in KSP 1.5.1.

I read above where JadeOfMaar is encouraging feedback but I haven't run into much to complain about. I've run into a few issues with a few planets but much of what I've found has been mentioned already. I get the feeling that things are unfinished sometimes so I've kinda' been waiting for an update to start fresh with feedback.

The only thing that is annoying enough to come to mind right away is I'm having trouble with time warp when I approach a lot of the planets for a landing. I'll be well above the atmosphere but limited to X10 or even X4.

Great work IMO. :)

No offense to the KSS team, but if you want to make KSS as real as possible, here's some things you should consider adding in the next few versions of this mod.

1. Rogue planets (a lot)

2. More brown dwarfs (a lot)

3. More ultracool red dwarfs (At least 1)

4. B-type stars (I might advise changing Nerus into a B-type star)

5. More binary or multiple star systems ( At least 5)

6. Long-period gas giants (At least 2)

7. A few more hot jools

8. A few more Naal-sized planets

9. Pulsar planets (Maybe a gas giant around Neragel)

10. 1 red supergiant star

11.  2 red giants with radii greater than 80 kerbol radii (not karb)

12. Also maybe consider adding a giant nebula with a few protostars in the nova arm. Nela (and possibly Nerus) could be part of it.

Edited by ILoveStars

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:59 AM, ILoveStars said:

(My responses in BOLD)

No offense to the KSS team, but if you want to make KSS as real as possible, here's some things you should consider adding in the next few versions of this mod.

None taken.

1. Rogue planets (a lot)

A lot of rouge planets would create unnecessary clutter.

2. More brown dwarfs (a lot)

A few more are planned but not "a lot" more.

3. More ultracool red dwarfs (At least 1)

Possibly

4. B-type stars (I might advise changing Nerus into a B-type star)

B type stars are pretty rare and can't exactly host many planets due to the way they are formed.

5. More binary or multiple star systems ( At least 5)

We already have quite a few binaries, and a few more are potentially planned.

6. Long-period gas giants (At least 2)

We already have some that can be considered long period.

7. A few more hot jools

Stars with hot Jupiters Jools don't have many planets beyond them due to the way they are formed. Since they migrate inwards from the outer system they kick practically all of the planets out except for a few.

8. A few more Naal-sized planets

"Naal" will be irrelevant in the future. This is planned.

9. Pulsar planets (Maybe a gas giant around Neragel)

Possibly.

10. 1 red supergiant star

This is already planned, I've been working on this system for a few months now.

11.  2 red giants with radii greater than 80 kerbol radii (not karb)

Possibly.

12. Also maybe consider adding a giant nebula with a few protostars in the nova arm. Nela (and possibly Nerus) could be part of it.

This would create clutter. I think one protostar is enough. :wink:

Also, when it comes to realism, The only thing that is being made sure is if the orbits are stable (most of them are). Too many of one star type might get a bit repetitive. In this area gameplay is what were are focusing on, rather then complete and total realism. Also, too many system would become a problem. We have a few more planned but that's really it. I'm not too sure of the exact number. But thanks anyways. Some will be taken into consideration. :)

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:49 AM, ILoveStars said:

including when this mod was called Kerbol StarSystem

Well it was a grammatical error. And now that it is fixed I can rest peacefully.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, kmMango said:

May be a dumb question, but how do I restore the stock planet textures and put Minmus back in its proper place?

Delete the configs for the Kerbol System and don't install the extended one. You can delete the textures as well but this is optional.

Edited by Adstriduum

On 12/1/2018 at 7:23 AM, Adstriduum said:

Delete the configs for the Kerbol System and don't install the extended one. You can delete the textures as well but this is optional.

Tried this. Deleting all the configs resulted in the game not loading from main menu even after 3 hours of waiting. Deleting some just caused the relevant bodies to cease existing rather than reappear in the proper locations.

2 hours ago, kmMango said:

Tried this. Deleting all the configs resulted in the game not loading from main menu even after 3 hours of waiting. Deleting some just caused the relevant bodies to cease existing rather than reappear in the proper locations.

I see what the problem is.

Essentially, in order to make the All the center of the universe, we had to make the Stock Sun the All and make a new Sun, which is "Kerbol."

And due to the way things are being done there is currently no way to remove the changes. (Rather then being edited the stock bodies are removed and replaced.)

However, there should be an unofficial stock patch coming soon, so look out for that. :wink:

And sorry for my mistake.