StarCrusher96

[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

Recommended Posts

Kerbal Astronomical Society Planet Logs; Ora

 

 Ora is a small world. It orbits very close to its parent star, and is rather old. Long, long ago, just like how Kerbol, Kerolon, and all of the other stars in the observable universe, a protoplanetary dust cloud swirled around a hot ball of plasma in the center. Not dense enough to ignite yet, several much smaller objects began to form. Eventually, the ball in the center began the process of fusion, and ignited into a ball of fire that warmed its small protoplanets. Due to the proximity of the protoplanets to the star, when it ignited, it pushed most gasses and elements outward, past the orbit of the farthest planet. However, it wasn't just fine and dandy for the protoplanets. Before the star ignited, they began to migrate inward in lockstep, entering an orbital resonance. This caused the three inner planets to heat up. The farthest of the three lost its ability to retain water except on its terminator. Farther out, two planets, Ora and Nelvem, entered the habitable zone. The two farthest planets remained outside of the habitable zone and are there to this day.

 Unlike its brother and sister, Ora is a place of vibrant life. This is due to its immense and diverse ocean and the large archipelagos. Due to its tidal locking, rain forests and lush grassland cover most of the area toward the sun, while near the terminator plains and eventually tundra encompass the tiny islands that make up Ora's landmass. Underwater, many aquatic species exist. Some are rather exotic, exhibiting bio-luminescence and some species even having two tails. Small, chlorophyllic fish-like organisms swarm the oceans near the surface, while farther down large baleen animals and predators hunt. On the surface toward the stellar point, huge trees create large rain forests on the small islands while animal life tromps below. Some animals, similar to Kerbin's primates, have been observed creating very basic tools, such as rocks to open nuts. Another aerial species has been observed communicating with one another. Scientists agree that they are not sentient, but well on the path to it. Other animals, such as Nirethounds, hunt any small animal they can find.

 Near the terminator, however, life gets much less varied. The large forests and grasslands teeming with life gives way to barren plains, with the occasional red plant. On the sub-steller point, life becomes even more hardy. A few bluish plants have been observed using nutrients from underground in order to survive, not from sunlight. Under the ice cap near thermal vents, heat-resistant ecosystems thrive within a 10-foot bubble around said vent. Rarely, a few stellar-side species have been observed to migrate to these vents to spawn. Only two of these migratory species have been observed, and one, called "Jeral's Travelers," have a strange habit to migrate. When they head toward the sub-stellar vents, they eat and become extremely fat; almost trippling their body weight. When they return almost a year later, they do not eat for a couple of months, shedding their weight. 

 In the skies of Ora, their sun takes up a large portion. Depending on the time of year, visitors could see other planets, such as bright blue Nelvem, in the daytime sky, appearing as large, if not larger, than a full Mun. Wild fantasies about planet hopping have arisen, and with the recent colonization of other solar systems, could be a reality in the not-so-distant future. Due to this, the Kelnis system, and Ora in particular, has taken a special life as one of the most interesting and amazing systems that could soon host cities and cultures to rival those of Kerbin. If interstellar colonization becomes wide scale (as it will undoubtably be,) Kelnis will most definitely be a prime target.

~Written by Jacob T. Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread's activity seems to be slowing down, so lets do a fun thing.

What's your favorite thing in KSS?

Tell us what you like, and/or what you'd like to see. Do you like the beautiful Ora? How about the majestic KSS StarSailor? Any comment is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to know where the players are who are happily playing KSS. The only person who throws screenshots around in here is StarCrusher.

Where are yours? Mr big shot novelist @Cortwade 

*staring hard at you*

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I experience a weird bug with jool and tropical laythe
https://imgur.com/a/7o77j

the planet clips into laythe and the clouds are all distorted
The same thing happens with Laho and Voon, but doesn't occur with any other planets/moons except those two

In the map view the bug doesn't appear

Please help and thank you in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bonbo said:

I experience a weird bug with jool and tropical laythe
https://imgur.com/a/7o77j

the planet clips into laythe and the clouds are all distorted
The same thing happens with Laho and Voon, but doesn't occur with any other planets/moons except those two

In the map view the bug doesn't appear

Please help and thank you in advance

never seen that one before. Can you provide logs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cortwade said:

This thread's activity seems to be slowing down, so lets do a fun thing.

What's your favorite thing in KSS?

Tell us what you like, and/or what you'd like to see. Do you like the beautiful Ora? How about the majestic KSS StarSailor? Any comment is appreciated!

I'm just enjoying the expanded tech tree right now(interstellar,future tech,MKS). I found in standard career I burned through the tech tree so fast and made it to Jool too easily and quickly and found I was always wanting to go further(eloo is meh). So I'm pumped to have the challenge to try to get to another star system. Except I normally find career a breeze So I put it on hard mode added in life support mods and now I don't have my minmus to science farm early on lol. Anyways I'm enjoying my slow crawl to achieving light speed to get to one of these awesome new stars. Or maybe I will build some kind of long term ark ship with the deep freeze mod who knows!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'd like to know where the players are who are happily playing KSS. The only person who throws screenshots around in here is StarCrusher.

Where are yours? Mr big shot novelist @Cortwade 

*staring hard at you*

My computer doesn't like screenshots. However I have recently started a new normal-mode career, and I'm happy to say the Cherry program successfully brought Kerbalkind into orbit, and the Munshot program is about to have its first successfull mission, the Munshot III. I may get screenshots later.

2 hours ago, MaestroHS said:

 Or maybe I will build some kind of long term ark ship with the deep freeze mod who knows!!

If you want I have a lot of arkship designs capable of warp and/or sublight speed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://imgur.com/a/AdkV6

Here are the logs
I've also noticed that whenever i point the camera at laythe the game lags like crazy  but runs fine when i point it away from laythe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bonbo said:

https://imgur.com/a/AdkV6

Here are the logs
I've also noticed that whenever i point the camera at laythe the game lags like crazy  but runs fine when i point it away from laythe

those aren't logs, those are screenshots of your install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cortwade said:

If you want I have a lot of arkship designs capable of warp and/or sublight speed!

Yea that would be awesome to check out your designs thanks!

 

As for screenshots I will post some but they wont be all that impressive yet, Still pretty early in the tech tree but I will keep em coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also sidenote.


So when I was having trouble with my install I removed EVE and Scatterer. Now I do believe as I stated before I wasn't letting my computer load long enough. You guys think 12Gb of ram will load all current new systems plus EVE and Scatterer and still be usable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cortwade said:

 

If you want I have a lot of arkship designs capable of warp and/or sublight speed!

The warp drive I used keeps getting eatem by the kraken before reaching Kerbol's SoI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

The warp drive I used keeps getting eatem by the kraken before reaching Kerbol's SoI.

If you're using the USI one don't press Z. Gradually throttle up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cortwade said:

My computer doesn't like screenshots.

This does not compute to me. :/ If your PC can't handle a press of the F1 key there is absolute cause for concern!

7 hours ago, MaestroHS said:

Also sidenote.


So when I was having trouble with my install I removed EVE and Scatterer. Now I do believe as I stated before I wasn't letting my computer load long enough. You guys think 12Gb of ram will load all current new systems plus EVE and Scatterer and still be usable?

I think you're asking for punishment by installing the entirety of KSS and its visuals if that's what you plan to do. Upwards of 16GB (and the best CPU with more power per core, not more cores) is the kind of hardware you have to look at for smooth gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaestroHS said:

Also sidenote.


So when I was having trouble with my install I removed EVE and Scatterer. Now I do believe as I stated before I wasn't letting my computer load long enough. You guys think 12Gb of ram will load all current new systems plus EVE and Scatterer and still be usable?

At this point I recommend cherry picking your favorite systems and using those. KSS is getting too big for one install AND visuals. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I'd like to know where the players are who are happily playing KSS. The only person who throws screenshots around in here is StarCrusher.

Where are yours? Mr big shot novelist @Cortwade 

*staring hard at you*

I have this mod, but admit I have yet to leave the kerbol system. oh and yes 32GB is not enough for mods, this and visuals. Unless I am doing something wrong lol. I started getting science a bit too quickly, playing sandbox so I concentrated on playing with planes. Generally gone from moah to less but having fun building things. Slowly I am wanting to go further but I am in no hurry. Now there is the joint challenge of trimming the mod list and going to 1.4.1. Still missing ksp-avc but hopefully that will get updated. Not at home and although I run ksp on a laptop! I cannot play now with anything other than a 4K monitor. Guess I spoilt myself there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Apaseall said:

32GB is not enough for mods, this and visuals

You are doing something wrong then. Lower the quality of everything in the settings, and try again. How many mods do you have?

I can play KSS basic with scatterer (more laggy then EVE) with 8gb ram. I could probably play Basic, Nova Kirbani, Kerelon with EVE.

If the lag is really killing you, try deleting some moons and minor planets, that is what I do and it works quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't tell if I botched the install but I nearly bricked my computer trying to load this mod. After I realized all my previous errors were the result of a wrong version, I reinstalled everything in a way I assumed was correct. I don't have any visuals mods but I only have 12 gigs of ram so o braced myself for a long wait. I set the game to boot up and came back about 40 min later after eating dinner and it was still not even to the main menus, stuck at the end if the loading bar so o tried to check to see if it was doing anything when my entire computer was completely unresponsive. Is 12 gig not enough to try and run this mod. My computer is still scanning my hard drive for corruption but I'll check the log file when it's done. 

Apologies for any formatting errors I'm on my phone because my pc is still recovering

Edited by zachdogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zachdogg said:

After I realized all my previous errors were the result of a wrong version,

KSS is not compatible with 1.4 or 1.4.1. It will work with Kopernicus 1.3.1-3 but no newer releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my previous errors were a wrong version of  kopernicus, i was using the right version of ksp. however i fixed that problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I've been following this for a while and am about to give it a try (although my 8gb laptop might not like it).  I just want to say that it looks great. I'm currently dithering on whether or not to start a brand new career in KSS_Basic or do an accelerated start like I did the last time I broke a save, but even the kerbol system looks fantastic to explore. I particularly like the addition of tenuous atmospheres for most bodies.

I've got a few questions, mostly focused on enjoying this as the authors intended:

Is KSS (full) intended for career starts, or mostly late-stage gameplay? (Considering it is set in the future, and most things are incredibly far) 

Is there a specific modset in mind, as far as balancing goes? (KSPi, general stockalike, Kerbalism or USI, NF suite etc)

Is there a good way to mine the incredibly expensive He3? I've been experimenting with FarFuture and KSPI , both of which distribute/have engines fueled by He3 and am struggling to find non-insignificant amounts, even within gas giants.

 

Thanks for authoring such an incredible pack.

PS the super short trailers offer Bethesda-levels of hype

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maffif said:

Hi, I've been following this for a while and am about to give it a try (although my 8gb laptop might not like it).  I just want to say that it looks great. I'm currently dithering on whether or not to start a brand new career in KSS_Basic or do an accelerated start like I did the last time I broke a save, but even the kerbol system looks fantastic to explore. I particularly like the addition of tenuous atmospheres for most bodies.

I've got a few questions, mostly focused on enjoying this as the authors intended:

Is KSS (full) intended for career starts, or mostly late-stage gameplay? (Considering it is set in the future, and most things are incredibly far) 

Is there a specific modset in mind, as far as balancing goes? (KSPi, general stockalike, Kerbalism or USI, NF suite etc)

Is there a good way to mine the incredibly expensive He3? I've been experimenting with FarFuture and KSPI , both of which distribute/have engines fueled by He3 and am struggling to find non-insignificant amounts, even within gas giants.

 

Thanks for authoring such an incredible pack.

PS the super short trailers offer Bethesda-levels of hype

KSS will likely break your existing saves, with ships being chucked around the Kermes Cluster. Currently, there is no way to mine or extract Helium3 from any object, that may be possible in the future (past 0.8), and it would likely come in the form of scooping it up from gas giants, like Voon, Jool and Mesmo.

Any parts pack will work with KSS; it adds in interstellar range antennas and engines into the game, so other mods are not required. Kerbalism does not support mods that add in other stars, but Kerbalism comparability will probably eventually come when someone produces a patch or something is intergrated into the mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.