[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

43 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

@johnnydope thx! And finally someone who found a fix (do you mind if I put it on page 1? (I'll credit you for it if you want)

@Rushiil & @Kaa253 -> I'll send you a PM!

yes no problem. credit always appreciated. it seems KSS messes up the "persistent.sfs" save but wont mess with manual save files. once manual save files are loaded everything goes back into place.

this has worked since KSS 0.35 btw

Edited by johnnydope
forgot something

3 minutes ago, johnnydope said:

yes no problem. credit always appreciated. it seems KSS messes up the "persistent.sfs" save but wont mess with manual save files. once manual save files are loaded everything goes back into place.

this has worked since KSS 0.35 btw

Since I moved everything around The All? Interesting :P

5 hours ago, johnnydope said:

id like to address an issue a lot of people are having and a fix. 4. The orbits of my vessels changed while using KSS.

QUALIFYING FACTOR: you must have started your game with KSS installed.

yea, they do that but there is a stupid easy fix to put all your orbiting machines back where they belong. I have a little ritual upon loading ksp up and it works every time.

first, while everything is PERFECT meaning all your orbiting machines are where they are supposed to be, MANUALLY create a save file and name it. THIS is what saves your butt.

second, now ksp is loaded and you have loaded your "persistent.sfs. save, enter the tracking station. you'll notice your orbits are all messed up. now exit.

now enter again. now exit. now load your manual save file and and ALL IS WELL! everything is perfect again. sometimes you can get away with only entering and exiting the tracking station once b4 save file load. SOMETIMES.

''Enter the tracking station. Now exit. Now enter again. Now exit. Sadly, this isn't KSC, but if you manually created a save file, it could be. Where are you? You're on a ship orbiting what could be Kerbin. Now back at KSC. Enter the tracking station. Now exit. I'm on a horse.'' Sorry... I couldn't resist. I couldn't help but think about that. 

Now for some serious stuff, to what extent has this been tested and validated? If this is indeed a proper fix, then there should be a (slightly more detailed) step by step posted on the op, as @StarCrusher96 suggested. 

10 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

''Enter the tracking station. Now exit. Now enter again. Now exit. Sadly, this isn't KSC, but if you manually created a save file, it could be. Where are you? You're on a ship orbiting what could be Kerbin. Now back at KSC. Enter the tracking station. Now exit. I'm on a horse.'' Sorry... I couldn't resist. I couldn't help but think about that. 

Now for some serious stuff, to what extent has this been tested and validated? If this is indeed a proper fix, then there should be a (slightly more detailed) step by step posted on the op, as @StarCrusher96 suggested. 

essentially you are just loading the game twice every time before you play. sound easier?

1st load: from title screen (game loads your persistent.sfs save)

2nd load: your manual save file. (you create this and load it yourself)

note that I have saved my game after first returning to space center before I create said save file. and create a new save to replace it with game progress very frequently.

I see you are wanting some proof? I suppose a few screenshots might be in order. but I swear this trick works.

since KSS v.35 too

the entering and exiting of the tracking station fixes another glitch with the COMMNET visualizations and lets me check how bad the orbits are.

Edited by johnnydope

8 minutes ago, johnnydope said:

essentially you are just loading the game twice every time before you play. sound easier?

1st load: from title screen (game loads your persistent.sfs save)

2nd load: your manual save file. (you create this and load it yourself)

note that I have saved my game after first returning to space center before I create said save file. and create a new save to replace it with game progress very frequently.

I see you are wanting some proof? I suppose a few screenshots might be in order. but I swear this trick works.

since KSS v.35 too

the entering and exiting of the tracking station fixes another glitch with the COMMNET visualizations and lets me check how bad the orbits are.

Well I'm glad it seems to work! Two questions:

1- you have to go through this double loading process every time you play?
2- the manual save you make, is it a blank file? What exactly is it? This is where I would like to get more details about the process. 

Cheers, 

Just now, Calvin_Maclure said:

2- the manual save you make, is it a blank file? What exactly is it? This is where I would like to get more details about the process. 

Cheers, 

answer 1: sadly yes... but its not as bad as losing 20 in flight satellites 'cause they crashed into the body they're orbiting....... and like 6 hours of play time

answer 2: naw its not blank,  jus hit escape and save game, and give that particular save file a name. done. manual save created.  I advise doing it at the KSC. loading game is same process. hit escape load game, and select your manually made file.

1 minute ago, johnnydope said:

answer 1: sadly yes... but its not as bad as losing 20 in flight satellites 'cause they crashed into the body they're orbiting....... and like 6 hours of play time

answer 2: naw its not blank,  jus hit escape and save game, and give that particular save file a name. done. manual save created.  I advise doing it at the KSC. loading game is same process. hit escape load game, and select your manually made file.

Huh... interesting. So by creating a manual save file in the game you've loaded, all your crafts and their history are duplicated, and for some reason, loading THAT duplicate save ''fixes'' the issue. 

7 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Huh... interesting. So by creating a manual save file in the game you've loaded, all your crafts and their history are duplicated, and for some reason, loading THAT duplicate save ''fixes'' the issue. 

Correct. I don't know exactly what the heck goes wrong with the "persistent.sfs" save, but KSS and it don't get along. But all craft flight data remains correct with a manual save. why? I have no idea.... BUT this knowledge makes KSS FUNCTIONAL!!!!! yay functionality!!! can continue where you left off now!! woohoo! we all need this. you cant explore a whole galaxy or kolonize it in a single day!!

I will get to those screenshots when im done flying my long polar prop-plane mission. gimme like 4 hours. I gotta shut the game down to get those screenshots. everything is loaded correctly right now.

21 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

on 1. Loading time has been reduced a lot in 0.6. (I probably told it already, no?)

3 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

on 1. Loading time has been reduced a lot in 0.6. (I probably told it already, no?)

First I heard of it. :wink:

Speaking of which, what are the planned updates/changes in 0.6?

Edited by Calvin_Maclure

Just now, StarCrusher96 said:

I got a 15 minute wait either way bro. my game is SUPER heavily modded. sometimes its 4 mins wait to launch a craft but once it gets goin it goes good. so I probably wont notice the lag reduction. good job either way bro. im sure many critics out there WILL notice the reduction.

im looking forward to buzzing around your kerbin-like worlds in my firespitter planes! helicopters are great for exploring low altitudes and scouting for good base locations. im hoping the game generates resources on all your planets for mining and manufacturing!! I got USI and EL for fully exploiting your starsystem! and haha cant wait to land the "Creator".

Spoiler

from the intel I gather its an alien probe scanning "The All". only the race responsible is POOF! gone. they blew themselves up!!

26 minutes ago, johnnydope said:

I got a 15 minute wait either way bro. my game is SUPER heavily modded. sometimes its 4 mins wait to launch a craft but once it gets goin it goes good. so I probably wont notice the lag reduction. good job either way bro. im sure many critics out there WILL notice the reduction.

im looking forward to buzzing around your kerbin-like worlds in my firespitter planes! helicopters are great for exploring low altitudes and scouting for good base locations. im hoping the game generates resources on all your planets for mining and manufacturing!! I got USI and EL for fully exploiting your starsystem! and haha cant wait to land the "Creator".

Hide contents

from the intel I gather its an alien probe scanning "The All". only the race responsible is POOF! gone. they blew themselves up!!

haha I'm working on the resources :P (I want systems/ special planets to have different ratios of resources) 

It's alien thing yes, but what it is doing remains a mystery to Kerbalkind.

wait a sec.. doesn't having the community resource pack combined with USI, EL, and Planetary base Inc. not automatically spawn resources on your worlds? I could swear they do... ill have to check again....

and same with DMagic orbital science? does this mod not automatically add science data to retrieve from your worlds? I don't see it being to hard to edit the configs to include your planets. correct me if im wrong. (no idea what goes into programming that level of detail)

for example: if your rocky planets all use the same stock template, and get renamed later when the game loads, would the resource data not get copied over with the template data?

30 minutes ago, johnnydope said:

wait a sec.. doesn't having the community resource pack combined with USI, EL, and Planetary base Inc. not automatically spawn resources on your worlds? I could swear they do... ill have to check again....

and same with DMagic orbital science? does this mod not automatically add science data to retrieve from your worlds? I don't see it being to hard to edit the configs to include your planets. correct me if im wrong. (no idea what goes into programming that level of detail)

for example: if your rocky planets all use the same stock template, and get renamed later when the game loads, would the resource data not get copied over with the template data?

They do but I'm not happy with how it works. (you can already use it with KSS if you want, but there will be bugs) But it needs some adjustment for KSS. Science needs to be written for almost every planet, KSP can make sciencedefs for biomes that are the same as in the template, but I add a lot more biomes so new and more defs are going to be added with each update ( thx to the writers it goes a lot faster!) 

-> about the example, to make planets with kopernicus you need to edit templates based on the stockplanets. But lets say I use Laythe as a template for a lava planet -> it can get similar resources / sciencedefs as Laythe if a mod / KSP recognizes the template. So i edit every planet to make sure all resources / sciencedefs match and are correct (I can edit everything afterwards when something needs correction).  

Edited by StarCrusher96

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Speaking of which, what are the planned updates/changes in 0.6?

-> Fixed all the gradients (playing without Scatterer will look much better)

-> Improved Clouds & Lightning

-> The KSS folder will be named KSS inside GameData instead of Kerbol StarSystem

-> Faster loadingtime (LoadOnDemand)

-> Adding the Kelnis System (Trappist-1 analogue) as another optional system, and a few other celestials that were not in 0.5 (you can find a few on the diagrams I made)

-> Adding the first sciencedefs (for testing)

-> Adding more groundscattering

-> Improved some planet textures 

-> Some planets might change orbit / change a little. (Not in the Kerbol System)

-> Recources (testing), compatibility with other mods (something I'll work on this week)

-> working biomes and sciencevalues

-> More I can't remember right now!

Edited by StarCrusher96

1 minute ago, StarCrusher96 said:

-> Fixed all the gradients (playing without Scatterer will look much better)

-> Improved Clouds & Lightning

-> The KSS folder will be named KSS inside GameData instead of Kerbol StarSystem

-> Faster loadingtime (LoadOnDemand)

-> Adding the Kelnis System (Trappist-1 analogue) as another optional system, and a few other celestials that were not in 0.5 (you can find a few on the diagrams I made)

-> Adding the first sciencedefs (for testing)

-> Adding more groundscattering

-> Improved some planet textures 

-> Some planets might change orbit / change a little. (Not in the Kerbol System)

-> Resources (testing), compatibility with other mods (something I'll work on this week)

-> More I can't remember right now!

All in all, a good list! :D

lets not forget about increasing the science payouts depending on the distance from kerbin. the further away you are, the more rewards there should be! And maybe a bonus for full round trip recovery from other star systems back to kerbin? just an idea. I would assume most interstellar science you would want to be able to transmit 100% of the science value because returning every time to kerbin might take a few centuries.... each mission....

I HIGHLY recommend the "FTL Drive Continued" mod to fully exploit and explore the whole KSS galaxy to all interested in Kerbol Starsystem. gotta love faster than light travel!

25 minutes ago, johnnydope said:

lets not forget about increasing the science payouts depending on the distance from kerbin. the further away you are, the more rewards there should be! And maybe a bonus for full round trip recovery from other star systems back to kerbin? just an idea. I would assume most interstellar science you would want to be able to transmit 100% of the science value because returning every time to kerbin might take a few centuries.... each mission....

I HIGHLY recommend the "FTL Drive Continued" mod to fully exploit and explore the whole KSS galaxy to all interested in Kerbol Starsystem. gotta love faster than light travel!

Don't worry about scaling the science benefits. We're way ahead of you on this... :wink:

1 minute ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Don't worry about scaling the science benefits. We're way ahead of you on this... :wink:

Beautiful.

almost done that mission. ill get to the screenshots & glitch bypass guide soon.

sigh.... ok how the hell do I post pictures? this site is telling me "due to your browsers security settings, the webpage cannot access your clipboard directly". what do I tweak in IE to make it work?

2 minutes ago, johnnydope said:

sigh.... ok how the hell do I post pictures? this site is telling me "due to your browsers security settings, the webpage cannot access your clipboard directly". what do I tweak in IE to make it work?

You have use the ''Insert other media -> insert image from URL'', which means either you create an Imgur album or whatever, dump your pics in there first and then use the individual screenshot url and use what I just specified. 

8 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

You could also use a dropbox account if imgur doesn't work out.

i got my account made and setup fine. right now im waiting for KSP to load to take the screenshots i said i would. and thinking about how to phrase & idiot proof this guide im about to make.

of course there no such thing as actually "idiot PROOFING" something... all one can do is make his/her work as idiot RESISTANT as possible. lol

Edited by johnnydope