[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

18 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

snip

I use that myself for stock and for planet packs. I like the role play aspect it gives you and lets you ultimately decide what you do, how you do it and when you want to do it, and rewards you for all of it. It's pretty liberating I think. Glad you like the mod :)

Edited by Galileo

HOW TO FLY TO ANOTHER STAR

Now that you have the opportunity to travel to another star system, perhaps your confused on how to actually get there. Interstellar travel is different than interplanetary travel. So I made a video tutorial on how to travel to another star. Hope this helps somebody.

Edited by Voodoo8648

2 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Now that you have the opportunity to travel to another star system, perhaps your confused on how to actually get there. Interstellar travel is different than interplanetary travel. So I made a video tutorial on how to travel to another star. Hope this helps somebody.

AMAZING! Interesting to watch, well done!!

6 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Very helpful!

Although it might get a little harder to do so in the future...:wink:

KSS 0.6.1 is OUT!

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler
  • Fixed Bugs (I hope)
  • New textures for Kerbin! (biomes included!)
  • Little corrections to orbits inside the Kerbol System (sorry!)
  • Temporary Fixed GPP compatibility
  • Added link to ringshader fix in the installation.cfg
  • Added the instructions to fix the clouds (cfg) to the visuals

For people who already have 0.6
-> only download KSS_0.6.1_BASIC and paste it over the existing KSS folder (delete Cache in KSS/Cache)
-> Clouds Fix (cfg) can be downloaded from the 0.6 RELEASE page

Rings.png?dl=1

Edited by StarCrusher96

18 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

KSS 0.6.1 is OUT!

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

CHANGELOG:

Hide contents
  • Fixed Bugs (I hope)
  • New textures for Kerbin! (biomes included!)
  • Little corrections to orbits inside the Kerbol System (sorry!)
  • Temporary Fixed GPP compatibility
  • Added link to ringshader fix in the installation.cfg
  • Added the instructions to fix the clouds (cfg) to the visuals

For people who already have 0.6
-> only download KSS_0.6.1_BASIC and paste it over the existing KSS folder (delete Cache in KSS/Cache)
-> Clouds Fix (cfg) can be downloaded from the 0.6 RELEASE page

Rings.png?dl=1

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

also, care to enlighten us as to what bugs got squashed?

5 hours ago, A_beholder said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

also, care to enlighten us as to what bugs got squashed?

One bug I can tell you that did NOT get squashed is the changing orbit bug... Just booted up KSP and the orbits of my satellites were messed up :/

1 hour ago, Voodoo8648 said:

One bug I can tell you that did NOT get squashed is the changing orbit bug... Just booted up KSP and the orbits of my satellites were messed up :/

Has the change to The All and Kerbol I suggested been made? 

I hope this doesn't sound mean or angry. This is honest and objective feedback:

I just now launched a new ship for the first time since I installed 0.6.1.. WHAT HAPPENED TO KERBIN?!?! :confused: It was nice having an ocean off the east coast of KSC. I wanted a barge in the ocean to replicate landing a used rocket like Space X does. Having land so close to the launch site is soo awkward. More importantly, over the years of playing KSP; Kerbin has become a familiar Home planet like Earth is to us in real life. Now Kerbin is like an alien planet and the change took away a certain amount of curiosity and desire to search for another kerbin-like planet. If you want to replicate Earth's continents, I would support that, but the new change to Kerbin is disappointing

If KSS is supposed to be career ready (and other than these sporadic and unnecessary changes, it does seem to be career ready) then what we need is consistency from now on. Any fundamental changes to ANY existing star, planet, moon, ect is going to be severely more frustrating than impressive to those of us playing in Career mode. Unnecessary changes like re-positioning a celestial object, re-texturing a celestial object, or ANYTHING that can mess up someone's existing satellite orbits or rovers or any launched object is game breaking and extremely disheartening to anyone playing in career. 

Perhaps you could instead post a survey and allow us to vote on a change that you might consider implementing in future version releases. Warn us first of the potential consequences of the proposed change (potentially career mode breaking), let us collectively decide if a major change is worth making (and changing Kerbin is a major change!!!).

Edited by Voodoo8648

@Voodoo8648 I get where you're coming from, and (to me anyways) it doesn't come off angry, but........  it's been my experience since I started playing KSP that any time a mod is listed as 0.whatever.whatever one should be careful when using it in a career install.  Game breaking changes or just simply frustrating changes can and will be made, and often those changes may seem unwarranted or unnecessary to us the user.  But please bear in mind that the mod creators will do this to improve the mod via their own preferred road map, whether or not they share that road map.  They typically don't get paid, at least not by us, so they can do as they wish.  If they like the feedback/ideas, they'll make them work.  If they don't feel those ideas will fit, well, that's that.  If @StarCrusher96 wants to turn Kerbin into a giant floating spaghetti monster, (I challenge you to try StarCrusher!) then well, I guess Kerbin becomes Kerghetti.....  If we don't like it... we won't use it.

To put my Kerbal funds where my mouth is, I use quite a few mods that are still listed as 0.whatever or in Dev in my current career save.  If they get updated and the changelogs state they will break saves/ships, or if there is little to no detail regarding the changes, I won't update, no matter how many fits KSP-AVC throws on startup.  I haven't updated most of my NF techs to their current versions because of this (detailed changelogs, but ship breaking).  I realize I'm missing out on things I do actually want, but I'll wait for those until my next playthrough.  Werner Checker Continued, the (not so current anymore) Dev build of KCT, and Kerbal Komets are but a few more of the many that are still undergoing some changes, and may/will probably unleash many fiendish Krakens into my save...  So, I'll wait....

In reference to your specific points regarding celestial body changes, etc., it may be best not to update beyond 0.6 or 0.6.1... for now...  Following the "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" or more specific to KSP "If it (KSP/mod) ain't summoning the Kraken (too much... wheels anyone? ;P ) don't update" seems to work for me.  I found out the hard way when I installed Kargantua and all of a sudden my OPM install was completely borked.  My closest revert was quicksave I had made 1 kerbal year before... :( <- 100% my facial expression!

I am following this thread because @StarCrusher96 and team have done some kick@$$ work and I want to add it into my next playthrough....  whenever that happens.  At that point, I'll follow the thread and updates, but I won't update my career save unless first trying it out on another install, just to see what Krakens are freed upon my unsuspecting Kerbals.

52 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Perhaps you could instead post a survey and allow us to vote on a change that you might consider implementing in future version releases. 

This could be a good idea, there are already a number of mods that do this already

54 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Warn us first of the potential consequences of the proposed change (potentially career mode breaking),

Also a good idea

@smotheredrun You and I think very similar. I've been following KSS for a long time and I've offered lot's a critical feedback throughout the development. I am an analyst in real life and I identify potential problems and offer solutions. Most users of beta products like KSS won't take the time, nor can they identify and articulate specific areas for improvement. KSS 0.6 is a wonderful Mod. It has been a great mod for a while. In my opinion, its worthy of a 0.9 label, just a few bugs need worked out. I don't want to see KSS linger in a perpetual 0. something beta version forever.

@Voodoo8648 

Thx for your honest opinion! But i can't hold back on changing stuff because it would mess up career. That's why I keep kss at an 0. version although it has the potential of 1. But you're right about those warnings and asking what others want :) so in the future I'll try to do this. About the new surface of kerbin, i thought changing kerbin would be a nice thing because i noticed people playing kss are more focused on everything but kerbin. They want to get as fast as possible to blalo for example. And because i always didn't like the stock kerbin, i changed it and i have great ideas to make it more interesting.

BUT I'll going to take the new Kerbin out and use the texture for something else :)

@smotheredrun

If i got paid 1$ for each download of KSS. I would have a lot of money!

Edited by StarCrusher96

Something I would like to say to those that were surprised about the change of kerbin, if you have looked at the other objects in the kerbol system you will have noticed that some of their textures were  either merged with their counterparts or given features from them, or even changed completely (for example look at minims) And kerbin was pretty much the only object that was kept the same. So I'm not too surprised that it was changed to look Different.

1 hour ago, A_beholder said:

Out of curiosity, is it possible to land on Hillo, or would I just go poof?

You can explore almost all the planets. The only one, according to my knowledge, that would be hard to maintain an orbit around is Vael (you need a LOT of radiators to not melt to death)

All the other planets you can land on somewhere :P

Edited by TheSpacePotato

13 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

@smotheredrun You and I think very similar. I've been following KSS for a long time and I've offered lot's a critical feedback throughout the development. I am an analyst in real life and I identify potential problems and offer solutions. Most users of beta products like KSS won't take the time, nor can they identify and articulate specific areas for improvement. KSS 0.6 is a wonderful Mod. It has been a great mod for a while. In my opinion, its worthy of a 0.9 label, just a few bugs need worked out. I don't want to see KSS linger in a perpetual 0. something beta version forever.

I wish I had found this mod earlier, as I was stuck with Kerbal Galaxy for years.

8 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

BUT I'll going to take the new Kerbin out and use the texture for something else :)

Kinda giving ideas from the sidelines, since I haven't been able to give this a try quite yet myself, but something came to mind after I read this.  :)

Previously you mentioned adding in compatibility for OPM, though suggested it to be in the form of an aging star which had consumed all its inner planets.  Maybe, instead, use this revised Kerbin as a planet in that system, give it some inner planets to balance out the OPM ones?

And a side question: With a 'stock' Kerbin in KSS, do you think Kerbin-Side would play nicely with KSS?  If unsure, I could download a copy of KSS 0.6, give it a try, and report back.