[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

8 minutes ago, Swithmario said:

Hey i am using a mac and i have this weird yellow black line texture thing on 90% of the planets   anyone can help me w this?

Please attach a screenshot

4 minutes ago, Swithmario said:

im not sure how sorry   i created this account to get help   can you tell me how to attach one?

I'm not a Mac user, but here is a link on how to take a screenshot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

You will need to upload your screenshot to a cloud service like Photobucket or Google Drive, or Onedrive and attach a link to the uploaded screenshot.

Edited by Voodoo8648

Guys... The problem is the typical thing where DDS format planet textures fail (because Mac/Linux...). The textures all need to be saved with different settings/technique, or a Mac-friendly version of KSS needs to be made with PNG versions of the textures. And it'll be murder for StarCrusher to have to maintain the latter.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Guys... The problem is the typical thing where DDS format planet textures fail (because Mac/Linux...). The textures all need to be saved with different settings/technique, or a Mac-friendly version of KSS needs to be made with PNG versions of the textures. And it'll be murder for StarCrusher to have to maintain the latter.

do they have some sort of pack for that to download?

1 minute ago, Swithmario said:

can i?

wouldnt it take ages?

I'm kidding, that usually ends up doing BadThingsTM :P I'm not counting out loading it up in Paint.net and saving it as a png... I don't accually know if this will work. Worth a shot?

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

Ok, let me put this dds thing to bed now...

The issue isn't how dds textures are saved or a mod incompatibility, or anything wrong with Macs or Linux machines. Also, plenty of Mac users have used this, but @StarCrusher96 just recently converted a lot of the textures to dds.

The issue with this is that he has those textures inside of a "PluginData" folder.

This is typically done to reduce the initial load time of KSP, but OpenGL systems don't like this. What needs to be done, if KSS is to use dds format from now on, is to move those textures out of the "PluginData" folders and into any other folder not named PluginData.

So something like "KSS_Textures" would work. Also all of the directories would need to be changed in the cfgs. 

This will fix the yellow, moire effect, but with 80+ celestial bodies, and textures for all of them, you are looking at potentially a very long initial load time each time you start up KSP. 

One other thing you can do is convert all the textures to PNG and change the directories accordingly, but this will use a ton more ram than dds textures will use.

so pick your poison...

Now, back to sleep for me. 

Edited by Galileo

13 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ok, let me put this dds thing to bed now...

The issue isn't how dds textures are saved or a mod incompatibility, or anything wrong with Macs or Linux machines. Also, plenty of Mac users have used this, but @StarCrusher96 just recently converted a lot of the textures to dds.

The issue with this is that he has those textures inside of a "PluginData" folder.

This is typically done to reduce the initial load time of KSP, but OpenGL systems don't like this. What needs to be done, if KSS is to use dds format from now on, is to move those textures out of the "PluginData" folders and into any other folder not named PluginData.

So something like "KSS_Textures" would work. Also all of the directories would need to be changed in the cfgs. 

This will fix the yellow, moire effect, but with 80+ celestial bodies, and textures for all of them, you are looking at potentially a very long initial load time each time you start up KSP. 

One other thing you can do is convert all the textures to PNG and change the directories accordingly, but this will use a ton more ram than dds textures will use.

so pick your poison...

Now, back to sleep for me. 

THank you so much   the plugin data worked and i didnt need to change the configs

cheers

33 minutes ago, Swithmario said:

THank you so much   the plugin data worked and i didnt need to change the configs

cheers

If you didn't change the directories, you will likely see either white planets, stock planets, or the game won't load at all, so I would double check that the mod is working as intended. I say this because it would be impossible for the mod to work if you just renamed the folder and didn't make the directory changes in the cfgs. 

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Swithmario said:

Hey i am using a mac and i have this weird yellow black line texture thing on 90% of the planets   anyone can help me w this?

Umm... Maybe needed to use Windows/Linux? Better than MAC.

Edited by Artem Kerman

15 minutes ago, Artem Kerman said:

Umm... Maybe needed to use Windows/Linux? Better than MAC.

Please read my explanation above.

Macs are fine and no worse than PC's. Opinions may vary though. Let's not be a troll, and try to start a Mac vs PC war, especially if one does not fully understand the capabilities of a Mac compared to a PC.

It's how this mod is structured that causes the issue that @Swithmario was having.

Edited by Galileo

6 hours ago, Swithmario said:

With 0.6 you'll have this problem (I'll add a fix / alternate version with the next 0,6 patch). But meanwhile you can use the 0.5 version, which should work fine. 

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Please read my explanation above.

Macs are fine and no worse than PC's. Opinions may vary though. Let's not be a troll, and try to start a Mac vs PC war, especially if one does not fully understand the capabilities of a Mac compared to a PC.

It's how this mod is structured that causes the issue that @Swithmario was having.

Haha, I understand, okay)

Hello, I've encountered a problem. I don't have solar flares. Every single star I see is just a small bright dot in the sky. These dots become bigger when I get closer but still I don't get any flares. I can provide screenshots and logs(if you tell me how to). Thanks in advance.