[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

40 minutes ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

Alright, I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

Reporting back. Got the latest Kopernicus and updated back to 1.3.1.

It still freezes on loading parts. Like I said, I can't find any logs on the problem, which sucks.

Any other advice?

Do you have enough RAM? For as big a mod as this I recommend you have no less than 12 GB. The freezing could be lots of paging activity-- your system trying to unload non-KSP things from RAM and into the page file to make room for this mod.

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Do you have enough RAM? For as big a mod as this I recommend you have no less than 12 GB. The freezing could be lots of paging activity-- your system trying to unload non-KSP things from RAM and into the page file to make room for this mod.

I was actually able to run KSP smoothly on a 8Gb setup, with KSS (+ Extended Solar System) and a big-ass modpack (including part mods such as SpaceY and Interstellar, but without visual enhancements). Now; I'm not sure if it makes a big difference, but keep in mind said RAM was DDR4.

Edited by Tonas1997

3 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

I was actually able to run KSP smoothly on a 8Gb setup, with KSS (+ Extended Solar System) and a big-ass modpack (including part mods such as SpaceY and Interstellar, but without visual enhancements). Now; I'm not sure if it makes a big difference, but keep in mind said RAM was DDR4.

KSS itself can run pretty smoothly on 8Gb, but once you take visuals into consideration the requirements rise pretty high :P

All the folders are in correct position. 1.3.1. Running 64 bit KSP. All folders in correct position.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lCtyK

The loading freezes right here. Not the game, the loading. I can't find a way to fix this, but I may try removing the Squad folder.

EDIT: Tried removal of squad parts folder, still failed. So I can confirm the loading freezes at the end.

EDIT 2: Validated game files, game froze at end. Probably ran out of memory. Making progress.

EDIT 3: IT WORKED!!!!! IT WORKED IT WORKED!

I've seen a first look and the pack looks amazing!

Sorry for the trouble.

Edited by Pxtseryu

30 minutes ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

All the folders are in correct position. 1.3.1. Running 64 bit KSP. All folders in correct position.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lCtyK

The loading freezes right here. Not the game, the loading. I can't find a way to fix this, but I may try removing the Squad folder.

EDIT: Tried removal of squad parts folder, still failed. So I can confirm the loading freezes at the end.

EDIT 2: Validated game files, game froze at end. Probably ran out of memory. Making progress.

EDIT 3: IT WORKED!!!!! IT WORKED IT WORKED!

I've seen a first look and the pack looks amazing!

Sorry for the trouble.

You removed the Squad folder? The Squad folder contains all the data for stock parts etc. Try making a ship now :)

Also, the freezing happens on occasion with me. Just wait about 2 minutes, then the game will load.

Just now, UranianBlue said:

You removed the Squad folder? The Squad folder contains all the data for stock parts etc. Try making a ship now :)

Also, the freezing happens on occasion with me. Just wait about 2 minutes, then the game will load.

I put the Squad folder back in afterwards, so I'm able to build ships.

Can't stay, got exploring to do!

16 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

Takes more than two minutes for me. The thing is, the screen freezes, but the loading doesn't, for me at least. I could tell by checking the .log file. Loading events were still taking place, since there were timestamps for events right up until I opened the file.

Edited by Zero132132
Bad grammar.

6 hours ago, Zero132132 said:

Takes more than two minutes for me. The thing is, the screen freezes, but the loading doesn't, for me at least. I could tell by checking the .log file. Loading events were still taking place, since there were timestamps for events right up until I opened the file.

If you go under settings, then deactivate logging, the game will run faster. I don't see why anybody would need logging if their goal is just to play the mod. Developing mods is a different issue; if you plan on developing any mods yourself, turning off logging is like wearing a blindfold.

21 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

@StarCrusher96 

IDEA: Would you add an (optional) "tilted" Kerbin? Tilted on an axis similar to Earth (23.5 degrees)  :kiss::D:o:kiss::sticktongue:

Believe me, Kopernicus modders would love to see something that made axial tilts. However, @Thomas P., the creator of Kopernicus, says that it is pretty much impossible to make tilted planets. There is a few ways around this: Principia, or using e.v.e for gas-giants.

14 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

I don't see why anybody would need logging if their goal is just to play the mod.

If everyone turned logging off, or it was off by default, modders would have much more trouble when providing support to users who, example, only know how to CKAN or MechJeb. :wink: 

Speaking of, I may do this for my main game. I'm confident in its stability that I should not need to check logs there, neither wait on KSP doing it while starting up.

11 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If everyone turned logging off, or it was off by default, modders would have much more trouble when providing support to users who, example, only know how to CKAN or MechJeb. :wink: 

Speaking of, I may do this for my main game. I'm confident in its stability that I should not need to check logs there, neither wait on KSP doing it while starting up.

Wait. . . there are people who can't fly a ship without MechJeb? There's nothing more exciting that flying your spacecraft manually.

In any scenario when a developer's mod is not compatible with CKAN or MechJeb, it is the developer's responsibility to make things work, not the inexperienced pilot. If the default for logging was off, then the developer could just flip a switch and turn it back on again.

1 minute ago, UranianBlue said:

Wait. . . there are people who can't fly a ship without MechJeb? There's nothing more exciting that flying your spacecraft manually.

In any scenario when a developer's mod is not compatible with CKAN or MechJeb, it is the developer's responsibility to make things work, not the inexperienced pilot. If the default for logging was off, then the developer could just flip a switch and turn it back on again.

Yes. There are people who spoil themselves that badly with MechJeb.....

I don't mean the modder turning logging on, I mean having to guide the player to turn it on and then to recognize the names and locations of these new, foreign files. :D But before we derail this thread...

4 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I know :) 

Also, KSS dev is a special kind of evil. He's guilty of incompatibility and smiles at it. : D

1 hour ago, UranianBlue said:

I thought KSS was compatible with MechJeb. But just as GPP, KSS will never be compatible with CKAN.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Also, KSS dev is a special kind of evil. He's guilty of incompatibility and smiles at it. : D

hTJeAKYMEj504.gif

:wink:

Edited by StarCrusher96

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

But just as GPP, KSS will never be compatible with CKAN.

You're dead, bro......... GPP is on CKAN. Galileo arranged it himself.

Also, a streamer just confirmed that MechJeb has problems with GPP. Apparently, a lot more is hardcoded within MechJeb other than just the KSC's location.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Also, a streamer just confirmed that MechJeb has problems with GPP. Apparently, a lot more is hardcoded within MechJeb other than just the KSC's location.

What if somebody just decided to make their own basic lander-auto-pilot / powered descent computer. . .

By the way, the flight computer has progressed a lot since that first flight!

8 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I thought KSS was compatible with MechJeb. But just as GPP, KSS will never be compatible with CKAN.

hTJeAKYMEj504.gif

I wish I had done this when people kept pestering me about why Duna was removed in my mod Cavran Planet Pack!

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's news to me. Where was the problem spot?

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Its automated transfer planner. also, I wonder if you and Starcrusher found my hidden text........ :P 

You mean this hidden text: "... GPP is on CKAN. Galileo arranged it himself."

You embedded the text as rich text, but I converted it to plain text, and got this message.

GPP is on CKAN. Galileo arranged it himself.

All you have to do is highlight it.