[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I’m trying narrow down a problem before I ask for help with Mechjeb.

I’m using KSP 1.6 and trying both Mechjeb Versions 2.8.1 and the (Dev) 2.8.1.0-836, I know that Version 2.8.1 was for KSP 1.51 but I read it worked with 1.6.

I’m just wanted to know could an incompatibility KSP & Mechjeb cause the Part Catalog Buttons to lock-up & cause the parts to disappear all-to-together.

@sarbian

I just want to thank you for keeping Mechjeb going or KSP would be very hard for me to play.

1 hour ago, Turk_WLF said:

I’m trying narrow down a problem before I ask for help with Mechjeb.

I’m using KSP 1.6 and trying both Mechjeb Versions 2.8.1 and the (Dev) 2.8.1.0-836, I know that Version 2.8.1 was for KSP 1.51 but I read it worked with 1.6.

I’m just wanted to know could an incompatibility KSP & Mechjeb cause the Part Catalog Buttons to lock-up & cause the parts to disappear all-to-together.

@sarbian

I just want to thank you for keeping Mechjeb going or KSP would be very hard for me to play.

There seems to be a bug in 1.6.0 that affects mods. It's been discussed a little in the main Module Manager thread. Players are seeing all sorts of odd problems in the VAB whenever you change or update mods or do anything that forces the Module Manager cache to rebuild. There doesn't seem to be a problem in the mods are loaded from cache. So update mods, start KSP, quit and restart without changing anything and it should be okay.

There's one interesting bug with ModuleManager that Mechjeb now depends on, and that is not being able to disable shrouds on Service Modules in VAB, so you can't put experiments inside those anymore if using Mechjeb.

Just a heads up if people come here noticing that after upgrading mechjeb now.

At least until ModuleManager is fixed.

It's the stock bug mentioned in the post before yours and is not related to MJ.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:42 PM, Kroslev Kerman said:

ok so mechjeb is always around 20 secs late

Late relative to what ?

On 12/31/2018 at 10:58 AM, Tonka Crash said:

There seems to be a bug in 1.6.0 that affects mods. It's been discussed a little in the main Module Manager thread. Players are seeing all sorts of odd problems in the VAB whenever you change or update mods or do anything that forces the Module Manager cache to rebuild. There doesn't seem to be a problem in the mods are loaded from cache. So update mods, start KSP, quit and restart without changing anything and it should be okay.

Does this need to be repeated any time you change something in GameData?

38 minutes ago, Kriegswolf said:

Is there going to be an update for 1.6?

The Dev builds of MechJeb have been compatible with 1.6 for a while. Even if a mod isn't officially recompiled for the latest release, most will work anyway. Have you tried?

Forgive me, please, if this is a stupid question, but...

I just upgraded my MJ version from 830 to 846, and I'm not getting the MJ functionality without the actual MJ module. Not that this is any real problem, but I thought that was now a default feature.

For the record I am not using any mods other than MJ. No Module Manager, no nothing. Is it perhaps that MM is required in order to get that "MechJeb For All" type function?

Edited by El Sancho
Direct Revelation

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@El Sancho Yes you have to have MM for it to work.

Ah, so desu!

In that case, I'll just keep using the MJ box, given the posts above about MM causing weirdness in the VAB. There is always a certain advantage in using MJ only, in that it completely eliminates the possibility of weirdness caused by incompatibility of mods. Thanks for the reply, Tonka.

I noticed that 846 adds some new buttons at the top of the Ascent Guidance window.

2 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

I noticed that 846 adds some new buttons at the top of the Ascent Guidance window.

I'm not sure what the point of the new buttons is supposed to be, for me they're make an already busy menu more cluttered since (as far as I can tell) they only hide settings I have to verify before every launch anyway.

As to the MM problem, I'm not finding it that much of an issue. Just start, quit, restart before playing after you change/update mods.  I haven't noticed any problems if I do that and since I'm not changing mods before every start it's not that much of a hassle.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

I'm not sure what the point of the new buttons is supposed to be, for me they're make an already busy menu more cluttered since (as far as I can tell) they only hide settings I have to verify before every launch anyway.

They're more useful for the other guidance settings like GravityTurn and PVG.  You should still be getting more screen real estate back on classic because a lot of the e.g. "show navball guidance" clutter has been compressed.  I'm still thinking about how to manage that whole mess, but PVG really needs the ability to make the options go away to focus on the essential stuff.

Edited by Jim DiGriz

1 hour ago, Jim DiGriz said:

They're more useful for the other guidance settings like GravityTurn and PVG.  You should still be getting more screen real estate back on classic because a lot of the e.g. "show navball guidance" clutter has been compressed.  I'm still thinking about how to manage that whole mess, but PVG really needs the ability to make the options go away to focus on the essential stuff.

Yep, that was a much-needed addition. Love that update.

HOWEVER.

I FINALLY coaxed Steam into loading MH 1.6.0, and upon the first time I launched the game and tried to load a ship in the VAB... this started flooding the log:

[LOG 14:49:06.412] [MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.StartSimulation(): System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Part,MuMech.FuelNode].get_Item (.Part key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelNode.AssignDecoupledInStage (.Part p, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 nodeLookup, Int32 parentDecoupledInStage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.Init (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Boolean dVLinearThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Part,MuMech.FuelNode].get_Item (.Part key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelNode.AssignDecoupledInStage (.Part p, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 nodeLookup, Int32 parentDecoupledInStage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.Init (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, Boolean dVLinearThrust) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.StartSimulation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

There's a fairly extensive string of these (along with an unrelated string of NREs from TweakableEverything throwing its usual tantrum upon encountering a new update :rolleyes:), and I can't make heads or tails of what exactly I seem to have broken this time...

20 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

There's a fairly extensive string of these (along with an unrelated string of NREs from TweakableEverything throwing its usual tantrum upon encountering a new update :rolleyes:), and I can't make heads or tails of what exactly I seem to have broken this time...

That smells like my fault.

I probably missed something here:  https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/1077

I'll need a lot more coffee to figure out what...

1 hour ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Ah, good to know it's not just my mod-laden install... I'm absolutely willing to test fixes for you if needed. ;)

2 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

I doubt your commit is the culprit. That dictionary has all the vessel part so if something is not found then a decoupler or a part reference a part outside of the vessel... So my money is on the broken mod :) 

I guess we could handle the error more gracefully with a bunch of TryGetValue but meh...

6 minutes ago, sarbian said:

I doubt your commit is the culprit. That dictionary has all the vessel part so if something is not found then a decoupler or a part reference a part outside of the vessel... So my money is on the broken mod :) 

I guess we could handle the error more gracefully with a bunch of TryGetValue but meh...

Yeah now that I'm a bit more awake I see that is way early in the Init section of F*** F*** S******** which is not stuff I touched.

Edited by Jim DiGriz

I just built a new ship using Extraplanetary Launchpads, and when I switch to it, all of the mechjeb icons disappear.  If I dock something with it I can get the icons back, but when I target another ship, mechjeb doesn't recognize the target.

I checked the logs and I'm getting this spammed in the log

[EXC 21:12:20.484] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MuMech.VesselState+ResourceInfo.Init (.PartResourceDefinition r, Double req, Double atMax, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modules, .Vessel vessel)
    MuMech.VesselState+ResourceInfo.Borrow (.PartResourceDefinition r, Double req, Double atMax, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modules, .Vessel vessel)
    MuMech.VesselState.UpdateResourceRequirements (MuMech.EngineInfo einfo, MuMech.IntakeInfo iinfo)
    MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel)
    MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate ()

Here is my ksp log.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qttDaYtd44cscpcV-7bA_TGe4fqTGgbA

I'm running on ksp 1.5.1

@sarbian I sent you a message with a google drive link to the data.  I also found one more piece of info.  If I shut down all the engines, the icons all come back, and I can target something again, but if I press the autopilot button it will create the way point, but not line up to the way point, start warp or start the engine.

Hello and greetings to all.

I am currently running dev #846, and having 'problems' in being able to launch to my target ship as i used to.

I have tried the "Launch to rendezvous" and the "Launch into plane of target" but both are ignoring the target and its orbit.

has the procedure changed?  from previous runs?

for rendezvous, we used to have to do one launch to 'train' mj, and then subsequent were right on the money.

not seeing that here.

I have been using MJ since i started (2013) and this one is befuddling to me.

thanks for any help.

Also, for this type of question, what .logs will you require?  or debug settings or such.

many thanks.

EDIT: #814 works as expected.  I will keep working my up the releases to see where it quit.

Edited by drtedastro
update info

17 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@sarbian I sent you a message with a google drive link to the data.  I also found one more piece of info.  If I shut down all the engines, the icons all come back, and I can target something again, but if I press the autopilot button it will create the way point, but not line up to the way point, start warp or start the engine.

The newest dev will fix your problem. Your vessel has an Intake module with a wrong named transform. I guess a part config is wrong somewhere but given how long it took to start your modded install I did not want to spend more time on it.