[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I tried 988 and 990 but when I use either of them, it doesn't even show up in game. I unzipped it to the right folder -- there is no part showing up in the hanger to add to spacecraft and no windows that appear when in flight.

Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, laserfj said:

I tried 988 and 990 but when I use either of them, it doesn't even show up in game. I unzipped it to the right folder -- there is no part showing up in the hanger to add to spacecraft and no windows that appear when in flight.

Am I missing something?

It would help others if you supplied more information.  Read the thread linked in my sig block on how to report problems, including the location of the log files and what to do with them.  Since we don't know which version of KSP you're using, it's hard to start the troubleshooting process (i.e. it could be a version mismatch).  A screenshot of your GameData folder would be nice to confirm the installation of this mod and ModuleManager, which is a dependency (i.e. an installation oops).

What game mode are you playing - Career or Science, perhaps?  It's been a while but MechJeb doesn't force you to add a part to the craft to get the functionality.

14 hours ago, Michel Bartolone said:

I've had that issue as well, and it seems to be working now, BUT I've had a similar issue with auto-landing, and I've found a (at least for now) work around. If I switch control to a different vessel, then come back, auto-landing seems to work just as it has in the past.

I've also found that saving and reloading fixes the issue for me. So when coming in for a landing, I now always quicksave. If uncontrolled lithobraking occurs, I just quickload and it does it right the next time around.

Here is the official release for KSP 1.10 : MechJeb2-2.10.0.0.zip

• Compact UI now the default
  • Spanish translation
  • Russian  translation
  • Updated Chinese translation
  • Principia node execution (WIP)
  • Many PVG updates
  • Plane Landing and autopilot improvements
  • Stuff I missed in the commit logs
  • Various fix and improvements

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

Here is the official release for KSP 1.10 : MechJeb2-2.10.0.0.zip

• Compact UI now the default
  • Spanish translation
  • Russian  translation
  • Updated Chinese translation
  • Principia node execution (WIP)
  • Many PVG updates
  • Plane Landing and autopilot improvements
  • Stuff I missed in the commit logs
  • Various fix and improvements

CKan shows this as only compatible with 1.10, is that accurate?  I'm assuming it is or you likely would have caught it lmao. 

Terrible question here........... but at one point there was a little work done on a dev build probably 8 months ago I'm thinking, it seems there was still snow on the ground so hope that helps time line........... but when advanced transferring to another planet (eve for example) it would inject a second manouever for orbit, and minimized dv used.  That worked absolutely beautifully on 1.9.1 for me.  But for some time now I haven't had that happen at all.  Am I missing something, or was it taken out, or did it just break due to updates etc.?  I'm no coder, so I'm just curious.  But consider it a feature request to bring back for some "later" date.  When and if you feel up to it.  I'm still using 1.9.1 at the moment.  I'm waiting for Kopernicus unofficial to get forked again or get a 1.10 update (whichever happens in the eventual future lmao). 

Tested KSP 1.10  with Mechjeb 2.10.0.0 and Mechjeb DEV 2.10.0.0-992

When activating Landing Guidance it warps to the planechange,  stops and starts throwing exeptions again 

Parameter name: index
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) [0x00029] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeGetReferenceRotation (MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) [0x00476] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00008] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00048] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 

[ERR 18:10:13.441] MechJeb module MechJebModuleAttitudeController threw an exception in OnFixedUpdate: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) [0x00029] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeGetReferenceRotation (MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) [0x00476] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeAngleFromTarget () [0x00019] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00139] in <ad22cbc127004f0c8e46e5a0419a670d>:0 

Version 2.9.2.0-990 on Ksp 1.9.1 is working. looks like something in there is playing peakaboo.

44 minutes ago, Kampfsanni said:

Tested KSP 1.10  with Mechjeb 2.10.0.0 and Mechjeb DEV 2.10.0.0-992

When activating Landing Guidance it warps to the planechange,  stops and starts throwing exeptions again 

Version 2.9.2.0-990 on Ksp 1.9.1 is working. looks like something in there is playing peakaboo.

I will need far more information because I tested the Landing Guidance before releasing and it went fine (well, it crashed the ship but that's not out of the ordinary).

30 minutes ago, NapalmPK said:

There is no button for me to open the UI in 1.10 for this.

Did you add the part to the ship ? If not do you have ModuleManager installed ? And if yes then do you plan to share your KSP log so we can see what is wrong ?

22 minutes ago, sarbian said:

I will need far more information because I tested the Landing Guidance before releasing

Are you willing to look into how the landing guidance works? If so I can provide some detailed feedback based on recent use. It has some basic problems in how it works that could be fixed that cause many types of vehicles to miss landing targets by significant amounts.

What the heck, worst that happens is Sarbian doesn't have time. This is what I see from the landing process once you pick a location on the ground and click on Land at Target:

1. He warps to the plane change without first orienting himself for the burn. Therefore it can miss its burn time if the vehicle is large and slow to turn.
  2. He warps to his first burn where he positions the landing point exactly on target. Again, he doesn't orient himself first so we have the same problem of missed burn times.
  3. He warps to his burn where he brings velocity to <1m/s to begin his drop straight down landing segment. Again, he fails to orient himself first and there's no way to make up for this burn being late- a slow-turning vehicle is probably going to crash.
  4. Then, for some odd reason, he first orients himself for the final suicide burn before warping to said burn. That makes this one the only accurate one in the group of four burns.

The workaround for me is to disable auto-warp, because in burns 2 and 3, he has himself set to basic SAS retrograde. I then selectively warp, stopping well before his burn points to give the vehicle time to get reoriented before the burn. If I do this semi-manual process, I can get him to land within 400m or so of the target, even with large vehicles.

Finally, on burn 2 he positions his landing target directly on the intended target. This will always make him land several hundred meters short, because of burn 3. Burn 3 brings him to a dead stop 1500m or so up, which means he drops straight down well short of his target. If you set the target in burn 2 to a bit past the intended target, then burn 3 would bring it right onto the target and you'd have a very accurate landing autopilot.

Edited by vossiewulf

Looks like the problem was on my KSP install.

Kerbal Engineer Redux (the only mod installed besides Mechjeb and  Module Manager of course )  was causing the problems with Mechjeb somehow.

After deinstallation of Kerbal Engineer Mechjeb was working fine. I have reinstalled Kerbal Engineer after that and again everything was working fine ( both versions of Mechjeb, normal and latest Dev version tested )  

So you can stop chasing ghosts now.  

And thanks for this great  mod, without it KSP would not be the same!  :wub:

I too have found that disabling the auto warp in the landing guidance seems to make it more accurate within 100m +/- . It dosnt phase me that much just takes a little longer to land. Sarbian probably has bigger fish to deal with so never really bothered him about it and with the release of 1.10 seemed kind of un-important only bought it up because it got mentioned

Edited by Virtualgenius

38 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

I too have found that disabling the auto warp in the landing guidance seems to make it more accurate within 100m +/- . It dosnt phase me that much just takes a little longer to land. Sarbian probably has bigger fish to deal with so never really bothered him about it and with the release of 1.10 seemed kind of un-important only bought it up because it got mentioned

I've been doing much the same for landings. I kill the auto-warp once the deorbit burn starts and let the landing routine work its magic. Landings done this way are typically +/- 25m from the target.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, Tokamak said:

I've found that the ascent guidance is temperamental. Probably because aerodynamics is hard. I've gotten a feel for the sort of rocket it likes, but it's kind of fiddly. In my experience, you need to make sure it is super stable and has a lot of control authority. Remember, those SRBs can't vector thrust.

I'd recommend trying it with a fairly simple rocket, with an engine that has a decent gimbal range, and fins/control surfaces, and maybe even some RCS on the rocket proper.

I've figured it out it works with a different Rocket and Corrctive Steering on

@sarbian, I can confirm similar anomalous behavior with the Autopilot in KSP 1.10 x64 with MJ 2.10.0:

1) When using Landing Guidance to land at a map selected target on the Mun, my rudimentary two-stage lander will not first orient to an upcoming maneuver node before going to warp.  Upon exiting warp, it scrambles to orient and fires ASAP, as there is no longer the usual buffer of X seconds upon exit of warp, to fine tune and re-settle into proper orientation.  I'm wondering if the maneuver node is even being created, because it doesn't appear in the Navball (see also item #4 below), the point toward maneuver node SAS button stays dark, and there is no burn indicator.

2) Suicide burns are no longer such - the descent burn starts almost immediately at a small percentage of throttle, which increases as it gets closer to the ground (my lander has a 0.54 Kerbin g TWR on a full tank).  This appears to be a function of the autopilot trying to keep up with a continuously lowering target speed, rather than doing the math to calculate when to burn to reach zero velocity at a targeted altitude (which appears to be 500m AGL, before the straight down "final descent" phase).  Neither Land at Target nor Land Anywhere seems to stabilize the roll angle during descent.

3) On the Ascent Path Editor, for the Classic Ascent Profile, when Automatic Altitude Turn (AAT) is turned on, the Turn Start altitude and velocity sliders no longer work; the turn altitude is fixed at 2.8km, and turn velocity fixed at infinity.  Despite that, when the AAT is turned on, it doesn't actually perform a turn until well past the listed altitude, and only a very short while before hitting the targeted apoapsis.  I only get a proper AAT when I turn it off and enter the values in the alternate dialog box.  One item of note: the ascent guidance does create and display a maneuver node for circularization burns.

4) The "show ascent navball guidance marker" hasn't appeared for a few versions now (since at least MJ 2.9.X); the show/hide button has no effect.

Edited by KSPrynk
More detail on lack of maneuver nodes being created

Love the mod. Thanks for continuing to maintain it!. I don't know if I could play Kerbals for any length of time without it anymore. Any chance we could get the Mech Jeb Pod back? I saw it was removed back in 2.5.8 due to something to do with leg code? I mostly just like the looks of it though so even a stripped down version of it would be fun to have again. Or if there is some config file you could point me to where I could re-enable it for myself and live with the consequences? It still appears in the science tree and I keep thinking its back only to be disappointed :'(

I want to encircle Kerbin in an ever growing field of questionably loyal machines!

22 hours ago, CiberX15 said:

Or if there is some config file you could point me to where I could re-enable it for myself and live with the consequences? It still appears in the science tree and I keep thinking its back only to be disappointed :'(

You have to change "category = none" to "category = Pods" in MechJeb2\Parts\MechJeb2_Pod\part.cfg

On 7/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, KSPrynk said:

@sarbian, I can confirm similar anomalous behavior with the Autopilot in KSP 1.10 x64 with MJ 2.10.0:

1) When using Landing Guidance to land at a map selected target on the Mun, my rudimentary two-stage lander will not first orient to an upcoming maneuver node before going to warp.  Upon exiting warp, it scrambles to orient and fires ASAP, as there is no longer the usual buffer of X seconds upon exit of warp, to fine tune and re-settle into proper orientation.  I'm wondering if the maneuver node is even being created, because it doesn't appear in the Navball (see also item #4 below), the point toward maneuver node SAS button stays dark, and there is no burn indicator.

2) Suicide burns are no longer such - the descent burn starts almost immediately at a small percentage of throttle, which increases as it gets closer to the ground (my lander has a 0.54 Kerbin g TWR on a full tank).  This appears to be a function of the autopilot trying to keep up with a continuously lowering target speed, rather than doing the math to calculate when to burn to reach zero velocity at a targeted altitude (which appears to be 500m AGL, before the straight down "final descent" phase).  Neither Land at Target nor Land Anywhere seems to stabilize the roll angle during descent.

3) On the Ascent Path Editor, for the Classic Ascent Profile, when Automatic Altitude Turn (AAT) is turned on, the Turn Start altitude and velocity sliders no longer work; the turn altitude is fixed at 2.8km, and turn velocity fixed at infinity.  Despite that, when the AAT is turned on, it doesn't actually perform a turn until well past the listed altitude, and only a very short while before hitting the targeted apoapsis.  I only get a proper AAT when I turn it off and enter the values in the alternate dialog box.  One item of note: the ascent guidance does create and display a maneuver node for circularization burns.

4) The "show ascent navball guidance marker" hasn't appeared for a few versions now (since at least MJ 2.9.X); the show/hide button has no effect.

Yes, has the same issues landing on the mun, it exit warp bur just stays thee. Same then I did an manual decent burn and wanted mechjeb to do corrections and land, it just spins. The execute node, make node for intercept and fine tune distance to target and match speed at closest point work fine. Had a few issues with the accent ones but that can be rocket issues :)
-----

Last development version solved this issue. Going to map mode an back might be needed to get the camera trajectory to work, this just saved me at the Mun north pole. 

Edited by magnemoe

Dev #995 should fix the exception spam when landing.

And it may fix other problems with the vessel not turning like it should. The problem in the code was there since the first commit of MJ2 (17 Dec 2012) and was hidden by something else...

E0yT9o1.pngIs there a way to put the Mechjeb windows under the PAWs?

The 1.10 update made the PAWs popup off to the side, away from the rocket/center of the screen, and unfortunately that's exactly where I keep all of my instrumentation clusters and utility windows.

Edited by jjansen
Added image (not sure how I could find logs for this)