sarbian

[1.10.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.10.0] [5th July 2019]

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Thanks for those details. I was also wondering what the "TARG" and "OPTS" buttons are for.

 

Most importantly, how do I reach the "Engage" button?

Not a developer so I will defer at that point.  I just wanted to give a couple examples lol.  Targ and Opt (target and options).  Target gives you the ability to set a rendezvous target for matching planes during ascent rather than after establishing an orbit.   Options I believe is the options to, if you click that, it may just take out some of the things that you need it to in order to press engage.  But my guess is it's going to be your screen resolution that's causing it to not fit....... though I could easily be wrong and I apologize if not.  I don't have a clue how to fix it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sarbian (and @StoneWolfPC) please disregard my notice. I figured out how to get the "Engage Autopilot" button to show up - as annoying as it is to get it.

 

7dnOaeP.png

  • Ascent Guidance controls with both "TARG" and "OPTS" buttons on
    • You can tell since they're green.
  • If I select a target, then I get more crap I don't want to deal with.

 

Zg16kBR.png

  • "OPTS" was switched off.
  • It looks like it wants me to keep it simple

 

VbtgCn2.png

  • Switched both off, then selected a random target.
    • Seems like it comes with a built-in rendezvous feature (of some sorts)

 

ji9AS2m.png

  • I then reverted to launch and selected a satellite in polar orbit, and then I hit "Launch into plane of target."
  • It then changed my orbital inclination from 0 to 89.989 degrees before showing a countdown timer. When I hit "Engage," it waited for about 47 minutes until it launched.
    • I then had to hit "Options" and deactivate the "Skip Circularization" button.
      • Why do you even have that?

 

BauLFc8.png

  • "TARG" off, but "OPTS" on.
  • Looks like options for the controls and how to proceed rather than what orbital parameters to aim for.
    • I ask again, why would you skip circularization?

 

 

I'll have to try out the new features for myself later, but all I wanted was to find the stupid "Engage" button.

eYXdx6m.png

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, i don't know how to insert the picture, i can only use text description

I am going to use "Rendezvous Autopilot" to go to "Mun". After I press the button, it finishes the first track change, and then it keeps showing "Matching planes". I waited for a long time and it never went down Once the track changed, my game interface did not show the track change.

Edited by Thave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can go into the settings and select the compact gui skin, and you can adjust the UI scale to 0.9 or even 0.8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just merged this:

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/1235

Which is a pretty major overhaul to the guts of the advanced transfer planner.  Prior to this change elliptical orbits definitely would have been poor and often failed to converged to a node at all.  It should be a lot more reliable now.  The porkchop plot should also be more accurate.

The biggest new feature is that if you click the "include capture burn" button you actually get a second manuever node which is a circularization burn around the target.

The porkchop plot for the "include capture burn" option is inaccurate, I need to fix it the same way I fixed the ejection burn.

Lots of math behind the scenes got a huge forklift upgrade a lot of highly "Kerballed-Up" math got nuked that was standing in the way.

There may be bugs, it was quite a bit of extremely difficult code.

The periapsis control and circularization accuracy may be off until fixes land in KSP 1.10.x due to floating point round off error issues.

Also without a highly precise finite burn executor, results of actually trying to execute the second burn may be wildly off.

That is now available as dev build #943

Edited by Jim DiGriz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 6:29 AM, Space_Coyote said:

For the Mechjeb and engineer for all might want to try this link

 

https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/mechjeb-and-engineer-for-all

 

the latest version they have is 1.5 for version 1.722.. but it could be upgraded to the latest version

(I've tried it and apparently it still works.. amazingly)

 

Space_Coyote

It's a pretty simple Module Manager .cfg file and the only trap in it is the very old version of Module Manager which is included. You do have to use the correct version of Module Manager for your KSP version. It duplicates the standard MechJebCore settings found in the usual MechJeb add-on part.

There is a MM .cfg in the Parts sub-folder of recent MechJeb versions which duplicates the function, so you don't really need it, and the timing of the two versions is different so you end up making the same change twice, which just slows loading by a very little.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thave said:

Sorry, i don't know how to insert the picture, i can only use text description

I am going to use "Rendezvous Autopilot" to go to "Mun". After I press the button, it finishes the first track change, and then it keeps showing "Matching planes". I waited for a long time and it never went down Once the track changed, my game interface did not show the track change.

Rendezvous is to join an other craft that orbits the same planet (Go near your space station for example). To go to a moon you need to use the "Maneuver Planner" and select "bi-impulsive (Hohmann) transfer to target".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell me, how well is Rover Autopilot adapted to RSS ? For some reason, he can't manage it, although in the old versions everything was fine. KSP 1.7.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There  Rendezvous Autopilot seems to have a problem plotting a hohmann-transfer.

After the planechange it seems to stop, not plotting a . Sometimes it does after a while, sometimes not. Same with the Rendezvous Planer.

If i do the hohmann-transfer via the Maneuver  Planer and start the  Rendezvous Autopilot after it everything ist fine ( start orbit 80 km destination orbit 150 km).

A workaround is to use the Maneuver Planer (Change plane to plane of target, bimpulsive hohmann transfer, aleing speed at closest approach.)

In the log i get this  several times (KSP 1.9, MechJeb 2- DEV-RELEASE 2.9.2.0-943, Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.7.1, Module Manager 4.1.3)

[ERR 10:00:24.615] MechJeb module MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilot threw an exception in Drive: System.TimeoutException: Brent's rootfinding method: maximum iterations exceeded
  at MuMech.Brent.Root (MuMech.BrentFun f, System.Double a, System.Double b, System.Double rtol, System.Double& x, System.Double& y, System.Object o, System.Int32 maxiter, System.Int32 sign) [0x001e3] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 
  at MuMech.OrbitalManeuverCalculator.DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer (Orbit o, Orbit target, System.Double UT, System.Double& burnUT) [0x00102] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilot.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00650] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00048] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craze said:

Tell me, how well is Rover Autopilot adapted to RSS ? For some reason, he can't manage it, although in the old versions everything was fine. KSP 1.7.3

I have no idea of what is different for rover in RO/RSS. Does it install some other mods to replace the wheels ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kampfsanni said:

[ERR 10:00:24.615] MechJeb module MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilot threw an exception in Drive: System.TimeoutException: Brent's rootfinding method: maximum iterations exceeded

 

  at MuMech.Brent.Root (MuMech.BrentFun f, System.Double a, System.Double b, System.Double rtol, System.Double& x, System.Double& y, System.Object o, System.Int32 maxiter, System.Int32 sign) [0x001e3] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 
  at MuMech.OrbitalManeuverCalculator.DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer (Orbit o, Orbit target, System.Double UT, System.Double& burnUT) [0x00102] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilot.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00650] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00048] in <8681954d36844c0e910d375b3cdf5e16>:0

Build #945 may help with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Thave said:

I am going to use "Rendezvous Autopilot" to go to "Mun". After I press the button, it finishes the first track change, and then it keeps showing "Matching planes". I waited for a long time and it never went down Once the track changed, my game interface did not show the track change.

I'm going to make this simple for everyone:

  • "Advanced Transfer to Another Planet" --> (EXAMPLES)
    • (PRIMARILY) from one planet to the next
      • MJ autopilot sometimes has different launch times from the transfer windows in Kerbal Alarm Clock.
    • From Mun to Minmus (orbiting Kerbin)
    • From one of Jool's moons to the other
  • "Bi-impulsive (Hohmann) transfer to target" --> for celestial bodies while in orbit of a host body. For example:
    • To the Mun/Minmus while orbiting Kerbin
    • To Gilly while orbiting Eve
    • Ike while orbiting Duna
    • Any of Jool's five moons while orbiting that large gas giant
    • Any of the seven planets while in orbit of Kerbol
  • "Rendezvous Autopilot" --> for vessels/stations/asteroids (or debris, if you want to be weird)
    • You have to be in the same SOI as the target

 

Am I missing anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sarbian said:

I have no idea of what is different for rover in RO/RSS. Does it install some other mods to replace the wheels ?

No, only the planets change. If you manage it manually, everything is fine. But the delay of the signal is very disturbing. Previously, on KSP 1.4.5 or 1.6.0, autopilot helped out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I am not sure if this is an MJ error or not, and or what I can provide or look into to find out.

When playing KSP 1.8.1 I will be playing and all of a sudden right clicking on a part wont bring up the interactive UI and the toolbar on the side of the screen has like 50+ MJ Toolbar icons. None of which do anything they just self-replicate down the page. I can provide a screenshot if that will help. The only way I have found to fix it is to shut down the game and reboot it. 

This issue has repeated itself across 3 different satellites (2 around Kerbin, 1 around the Mun). The only thing I have been doing that I could think of that may be triggering it is using MJ for maneuvers, and timewarping to the next node.

Thoughts?

 

Syrius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Syrius said:

So I am not sure if this is an MJ error or not, and or what I can provide or look into to find out.

When playing KSP 1.8.1 I will be playing and all of a sudden right clicking on a part wont bring up the interactive UI and the toolbar on the side of the screen has like 50+ MJ Toolbar icons. None of which do anything they just self-replicate down the page. I can provide a screenshot if that will help. The only way I have found to fix it is to shut down the game and reboot it. 

This issue has repeated itself across 3 different satellites (2 around Kerbin, 1 around the Mun). The only thing I have been doing that I could think of that may be triggering it is using MJ for maneuvers, and timewarping to the next node.

Thoughts?

 

Syrius

I'm not seeing any errors like that, I'd guess, you've either got a bad install of MJ, or if you've verified that's not the cause, you've got another mod that's not playing nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Build #945 may help with this

There are no errors in the log annymore, and the autopilot is now plotting a Hohmann transfer, which is good so far.

But the transfer itself is messed up. The autopilot is saying Status: Planinng Hohmann transfer for intercept after -127276.43 phasing orbits and then bringing me into an orbit that is between my old orbit and the target orbit. After that  it repeats what it is doing, but is not able to bring me close to my tagget. Sometimes it is plotting orbits below 50 km. 

If i use the the Maneuver Planer to make a bi-impulsive Hohmann transfer everything works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thave said:

But some planets in the solar system still don't use it.

You are trying to use rendezvous autopilot to go to a planet? That's not what it's used for. You can use it to rendezvous with vessels, asteroids, etc within your current SOI.

For transfers to other planets you need to be using "Advanced Transfer to Another Planet."

Edited by leatherneck6017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a special version or "RSS switch" in MJ ?

Since MJ landing on planet function is broken in RSS ksp 1.8.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kampfsanni said:

There are no errors in the log annymore, and the autopilot is now plotting a Hohmann transfer, which is good so far.

But the transfer itself is messed up. The autopilot is saying Status: Planinng Hohmann transfer for intercept after -127276.43 phasing orbits and then bringing me into an orbit that is between my old orbit and the target orbit. After that  it repeats what it is doing, but is not able to bring me close to my tagget. Sometimes it is plotting orbits below 50 km. 

If i use the the Maneuver Planer to make a bi-impulsive Hohmann transfer everything works fine.

Yeah I was sorta afraid that would be the result.

Can you get the source and destination orbital elements?  (ideally I could use all 6 of them for both orbits)

Nevermind, I got a repro case first try.

EDIT: aaaand its gone.  Found one repo case, which then disappeared before I could get any debugging around it.

#946 build may have fixed the problem, the patch in the #945 build clearly had an issue.

Edited by Jim DiGriz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, vardicd said:

I'm not seeing any errors like that, I'd guess, you've either got a bad install of MJ, or if you've verified that's not the cause, you've got another mod that's not playing nice.

Hmmm I will see if I can sort out a more specific issue. I am not sure if there is a mod interaction issue or not. I may try removing Construction Time and see what that does as I forgot that is something relatively new the mods I use.

Syrius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Syrius said:

Hmmm I will see if I can sort out a more specific issue. I am not sure if there is a mod interaction issue or not. I may try removing Construction Time and see what that does as I forgot that is something relatively new the mods I use.

Syrius

I use kerbal construction time with no problem also, I know it can be a hassle, but when i run into a problem like that, I generally move my KSP install to a different folder for safe-keeping, install a clean copy, then add the one mod with problem behavior, MJ in this case, see if i get the problem behavior, and if not, then start adding my mods back in, say 5 at a time. load 5, check for problem, if no, add 5 more, repeat till behavior shows up. once i see the behavior, I remove the last 5 mods i added, then add them in 1 at a time, until i see the behavior. then when I see I get problem behavior with MJ and mod X, I reset to a clean install and only add MJ and mod x. and test the 2 mods together. this usually helps me figure out which ones aren't playing nice, unless it's a 3 or more mod combo, then you have to restart with MJ and mod x, and start adding mods in again until you see the problem behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I use kerbal construction time with no problem also, I know it can be a hassle, but when i run into a problem like that, I generally move my KSP install to a different folder for safe-keeping, install a clean copy, then add the one mod with problem behavior, MJ in this case, see if i get the problem behavior, and if not, then start adding my mods back in, say 5 at a time. load 5, check for problem, if no, add 5 more, repeat till behavior shows up. once i see the behavior, I remove the last 5 mods i added, then add them in 1 at a time, until i see the behavior. then when I see I get problem behavior with MJ and mod X, I reset to a clean install and only add MJ and mod x. and test the 2 mods together. this usually helps me figure out which ones aren't playing nice, unless it's a 3 or more mod combo, then you have to restart with MJ and mod x, and start adding mods in again until you see the problem behavior.

Yeah, was hoping to avoid that kind of time sink though. But thankfully I keep not only backups of the zipped mods, but also which were installed so I can easily just work from that list ( I have dl'ed mods but not used all of them).

 

Syrius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Yeah I was sorta afraid that would be the result.

Can you get the source and destination orbital elements?  (ideally I could use all 6 of them for both orbits)

Nevermind, I got a repro case first try.

EDIT: aaaand its gone.  Found one repo case, which then disappeared before I could get any debugging around it.

#946 build may have fixed the problem, the patch in the #945 build clearly had an issue.

 #946 fixed the problem, Rendezvous Autopilot is working again. &)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.