sarbian

[1.10.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.10.0] [5th July 2019]

Recommended Posts

On 7/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, sarbian said:

Here is the official release for KSP 1.10 : MechJeb2-2.10.0.0.zip

   

 


I have a question regarding ROengines from realism overhaul. The landing guidance does not work even for those engines that have a controlled minimum thrust. Translatron has the same effect. The engine seems to be trying to start with click sounds an infinite number of times but never start.
I turned off Ullage in the engines cfg so that they would not turn off from bursts of fuel in the tanks. I enabled %useEngineResponseTime = False on all engines so that they activate without delay. Nothing helps. Each time the engine clicks many times but never turns on.
I managed to activate the landing function only once on certain engines(I think it was raptor), but this incorrectly calculates the turn on engine height  and the ship crash. 
It is probably difficult to implement accurate calculations, but I would be glad if at least the translatron worked with ROengines  so that I can keep a fixed fixed landing speed in manual mode.

Is there any chance of somehow making mechjab work with ROengines from realism overhaul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometime in the last week I noticed MechJeb picked up a PAW menu with some adjustments for rovers. I'm not sure what even triggers these options to appear because I don't see it on all landed vessels.  Is it vessels with wheels?

With the numerous updates over the last month I missed when this was introduced.  How do these settings affect the behavior of MechJeb?  I can't test it on the rover below as it's has a Breaking Ground scanner arm, so even turning on MechJeb on the Mun wants to flip it.  Testing on a simple rover at KSC I couldn't see any impact.

efYiLP7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any tips on massaging the aircraft autopilot PID to be not-terrible?

I'm assuming that's the problem at least. Using the SmartA.S.S. Surface AP, I can control my airplane fairly well. It's a little wonky at times when I'm using the +/- buttons to move, but it's fairly stable.

By contrast, attempting to enable the altitude, heading, or roll hold APs on the Aircraft Autopilot puts me into a weird pitch down + rolled about 20 degrees left state, when I was previously holding the correct attitude with SmartA.S.S. with zero issues.

If this sounds like a bug instead, I can drop some logs, etc. I'm assuming user error for now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a problem with MechJeb Rover autopilot. (MechJeb 2.10 and KSP 1.10)

When I engage the "stability control" on the rover when it is stopped, MechJeb keeps the rover like the image below:

UOXJaUH.png

If I disengage stability control, it stays put.

jfnii6X.png

However, if I set any speed on the autopilot, it will behave perfectly. I just can't stop.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rrlevy said:

When I engage the "stability control" on the rover when it is stopped, MechJeb keeps the rover like the image below:

At low speeds, "stability control" tries to flip my rovers, too. I think MechJeb may be over-reacting to small changes but haven't really given it much thought. It wasn't that much of a nuisance, yet.

To stop a rover, I deactivate stability and speed controls and enable SAS and brakes.

 

On 7/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, Tonka Crash said:

Sometime in the last week I noticed MechJeb picked up a PAW menu with some adjustments for rovers.

Those (except the MJ enable/disable button) are from Bon Voyage.

 

On 7/12/2020 at 6:50 AM, etmoonshade said:

By contrast, attempting to enable the altitude, heading, or roll hold APs on the Aircraft Autopilot puts me into a weird pitch down + rolled about 20 degrees left state,

Works for me. I fly a small twin-juno plane on science missions just with the autopilot controls. Have you tried to reset the trim (although MJ probably should not be affected by it)?

 

Edited by HansAcker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

Works for me. I fly a small twin-juno plane on science missions just with the autopilot controls. Have you tried to reset the trim (although MJ probably should not be affected by it)?

"small" absolutely does not describe my craft, which I suspect is part of the problem. I could probably load most small planes into the cargo bay on this thing. All at the same time. :V

Think less "Cessna 170" and more "C5" or "An-224". I'm almost certainly far outside of the bounds of what these APs are usually tested with.

I'll try fiddling with the trim a bit and see if that helps next time I fly one, but this thing's amazingly stable for being as large as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HansAcker said:

Those (except the MJ enable/disable button) are from Bon Voyage.

Thanks, I was on a break from KSP when those were added, so missed it then and hadn't noticed them until this past week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, HansAcker said:

At low speeds, "stability control" tries to flip my rovers, too. I think MechJeb may be over-reacting to small changes but haven't really given it much thought. It wasn't that much of a nuisance, yet.

To stop a rover, I deactivate stability and speed controls and enable SAS and brakes.

 

My tests show that MechJeb tries to keep the rover pointed at 30 degrees down when stopped, either if I have the Rover Autopilot  Speed set to 0 (zero) or if the speed control is disabled.

I can't see any reason for that to happen. I don't think it is an "over-reaction" because the rover stays completely still at that position when the reaction wheel is strong enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 8:35 PM, Ciko said:

 


I have a question regarding ROengines from realism overhaul. The landing guidance does not work even for those engines that have a controlled minimum thrust. Translatron has the same effect. The engine seems to be trying to start with click sounds an infinite number of times but never start.
I turned off Ullage in the engines cfg so that they would not turn off from bursts of fuel in the tanks. I enabled %useEngineResponseTime = False on all engines so that they activate without delay. Nothing helps. Each time the engine clicks many times but never turns on.
I managed to activate the landing function only once on certain engines(I think it was raptor), but this incorrectly calculates the turn on engine height  and the ship crash. 
It is probably difficult to implement accurate calculations, but I would be glad if at least the translatron worked with ROengines  so that I can keep a fixed fixed landing speed in manual mode.

Is there any chance of somehow making mechjab work with ROengines from realism overhaul?

Wrong russian word-localisation. Must be "Парашюты"

bc2b32cefe2c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems one of this mod affect Mechjab  node execution. I have a Bettertimewarp+Kerbal alarm clock. Now Mechjab dont warp to proper time and make instant node execution when turn ship in maneveur position...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, HansAcker said:

At low speeds, "stability control" tries to flip my rovers, too. I think MechJeb may be over-reacting to small changes but haven't really given it much thought. It wasn't that much of a nuisance, yet.

To stop a rover, I deactivate stability and speed controls and enable SAS and brakes.

 

Those (except the MJ enable/disable button) are from Bon Voyage.

 

Works for me. I fly a small twin-juno plane on science missions just with the autopilot controls. Have you tried to reset the trim (although MJ probably should not be affected by it)?

 

Turn off reaction wheels when driving rovers.  That's what fixed it for me.  Also, use control direction: forward in the right click menu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HansAcker @rrlevy I'm guessing you have a Breaking Ground scanner arm attached to your rovers.  This is a bug I discovered a year ago.  With a scanner arm something throws off MechJeb at low speed.  Without the scanner arm MechJeb behaves normally.  I tested it over the weekend in 1.9.1 with whatever the latest DEV version that installs on 1.9.1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the new 1.10 version backwards compatible to 1.8.1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Is the new 1.10 version backwards compatible to 1.8.1?

Most likely. I played it safe for the CKAN metadata but I do not see anything that should prevent it to run on 1.8 or 1.9

I just need to release an other release with the couple of fix we added to the dev version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the setting "drop solids early" for, how does it work, what's the purpose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should drop/stage solid boosters before they are empty. It's mainly a RO thing unless you like the firework.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@sarbian

How does MJ decide the rate of rotation to a new attitude? It's a bit slow at times

Edited by dlrk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is there a way to disable the top-up-apoapsis behavior of the ascent guidance? I'm using Kerbalism, which adds limited engine restarts, and the tiny bursts of thrust sometimes use up those restarts, meaning my engines don't work when it comes time to circularize.
("top-up-apoapsis" meaning the short bursts of thrust to keep the apoapsis above the set value that happen during the coasting phase of classic guidance)

Edited by Alex33212

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dlrk said:

@sarbian

How does MJ decide the rate of rotation to a new attitude? It's a bit slow at times

Uh, complex one and it depends on the controller you selected in the Attitude window. But basically it looks at your vessel Moment of Inertia, available torque, current angular velocity to compute the required change and feed it to a PID. Have a look at those files if you want the details

7 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Is there a way to disable the top-up-apoapsis behavior of the ascent guidance?

Have a look at the option in the PVG mode. It may have what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi, something strange happened today. I was trying to use MJ to land at a chosen spot on the Mun, the vessel on a retrograde orbit with almost no inclinations, the spot near the equator. But when i engage the autopilot, the vessel tries to change orbit direction to prograde prior to landing, wasting the dV

Am I doing something wrong? Should i choose any particular option for MJ to do it just fine with a retrograde orbit?

Thanks in advance

Edited by juvilado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should work but I have not tested a retrograde orbit landing in a long time...

Try the last Dev and see it is better. I fixed something related to landing so it may also fix that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sarbian said:

Have a look at the option in the PVG mode. It may have what you need.

Unfortunately to use PVG I'd need to redesign my rocket completely, since the upper stage has a rather high TWR. (Also, I've found a new problem in the form of uncontrollable roll as soon as the rocket leaves atmosphere; I have no idea what's causing this, though.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm trying to get all Mechjeb modules unlocked at the start but editing the CFG files to say start instead of whatever they were previously doesn't seem to actually unlock everything fully. I'm on dev build #1000 for 1.10. They were unlocked on previous versions but I wanted to use the dev build because apparently I wouldn't need to use the AR202 module anymore (at least without using something like Mechjeb and Engineer for All). But yeah it will say I'm missing some or after changing some of the values to "start", it will unlock only some or not at all. I feel like I could be doing something wrong but not sure.

Nevermind, found out what was causing it. Apparently the way I edited it did unlock everything but the options that worked around using the maneuver planner were hidden regardless since they needed the maneuver planner to work. (Not sure if that's a dev build thing but maybe I just missed it). Was ripping my hair out over nothing lmao.

Edited by eM-Krow
Solved my issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.