[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

42 minutes ago, sarbian said:

There, official release for 1.3.

Thanks ever so much. I have put in 5-6 hours since 699 and everything seems fine with one small exception. I am not sure if this is MechJeb or KSP. It seems to be some sort of error that puts ^N into the current biome description.

Y3Epz6T.jpg

3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I have a question, so I changed the configs to enable rendezvous autopilot and coking autopilot at start, yet when I load career, only the docking autopilot at start appears, any idea what I should change to get my desired outcome?

Is your tracking station upgraded?  I may be wrong but if I remember correctly you have to have an upgraded tracking station to get the rendezvous functionality.

7 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

Is your tracking station upgraded?  I may be wrong but if I remember correctly you have to have an upgraded tracking station to get the rendezvous functionality.

I do? If so then no, I guess that's not a bad thing to overcome, guess I won't make more edits

12 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

If so then no, I guess that's not a bad thing to overcome, guess I won't make more edits

I'd try upgrading the tracking station first, I couldn't find anything about it in the wiki but I seem to remember needing to upgrade it last time I played career.

4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@sarbian I have a question, so I changed the configs to enable rendezvous autopilot and coking autopilot at start, yet when I load career, only the docking autopilot at start appears, any idea what I should change to get my desired outcome?

The problem is MechJeb does most things with maneuver nodes.  You need to upgrade the tracking station so you have maneuver nodes.

Hi @sarbian

Sorry, i've been off for a while. Lots of changes happening in my life :-)

I see you upgraded Mechjeb to 1.3 and thank you for it!

The last release does not contains all the latest script module features, especially the boolean logic programming features so I sent you a merge request with the last upgrade. I tested it on 1.3.

I think it's also time for me to write a little bit of documentation about the module. I will try to update the wiki manual.

new feature (inclination fix for circularization in ascent guidance) is very buggy some times loss even sign of inclination, or just uses incorrect longitude of ascending node, which preferable should be defined as separate field in parameters at start (because properly to start ahead leaving time for vertical take off phase ),

old ascent guidance autopilot bug still there :  when craft reaches turn end altitude with corrective staring enable it some times did not advance apoapsis to required height, i.e. allowing negative vertical velocity, so when orbital speed reaches correct absolute value (and apoapsis equals to required height) vessel is actually going down to dense atmosphere

i.e. it should pitch up (if burn still going on with corrective stearing enabled) when vertical speed reaches zero, but it does not (because thinking that craft is out of dense atmosphere- after turn end altitude), same or worse may happen if craft fully out of atmosphere but it's vertical speed negative before reaching apoapsis.

Edited by okder

MechJeb failing to circularize properly. 

Every craft is failing to time the circularization burn properly. Burn starts at "0" in countdown which is too late to properly circularize. Craft falls in altitude and if target altitude is LOE, craft burns up. 

KSP Log

Edited by captspiff

43 minutes ago, captspiff said:

Every craft is failing to time the circularization burn properly. Burn starts at "0" in countdown which is too late to properly circularize. Craft falls in altitude and if target altitude is LOE, craft burns up. 

Chances are the is NOT Mechjeb, but that your ascent path (default at 40 degrees) is FAR too shallow for for your TWR. Check your TWR. If you are not above1.2 or so you may run into trouble.

Mechjeb will NOT make poor designs magically work. It would be a good thing if everyone fiddled with their designs and settings before saying that Mechjeb is to blame because I know it is working JUST FINE.  I only have a thousand hours using Mechjeb and I should know. Like I said previously, the only thing that I have found is less than optimum is a control character showing up in one of the biome displays.

@ansaman

you just not right, because with corrective steering enabled vessel pitch down hard near end of atmosphere, and don't pitch up even if vertical speed becomes negative (it's going leveled with horizon), i.e. it's loosing vertical speed intentionally (which in some situation could give profit, but did not restore it when it absolutely needed)

3 minutes ago, okder said:

@ansaman

you just not right, because with corrective steering enabled vessel pitch down hard near end of atmosphere, and don't pitch up even if vertical speed becomes negative (it's going leveled with horizon), i.e. it's loosing vertical speed intentionally (which in some situation could give profit, but did not restore it when it absolutely needed)

Hey, I told you what thousands of hours of playing with Mechjeb told me. I am using it now and it works fine. You don't have to listen to me. Further, try not using corrective steering.

13 minutes ago, ansaman said:

Chances are the is NOT Mechjeb, but that your ascent path (default at 40 degrees) is FAR too shallow for for your TWR. Check your TWR. If you are not above1.2 or so you may run into trouble.

Mechjeb will NOT make poor designs magically work. It would be a good thing if everyone fiddled with their designs and settings before saying that Mechjeb is to blame because I know it is working JUST FINE.  I only have a thousand hours using Mechjeb and I should know. Like I said previously, the only thing that I have found is less than optimum is a control character showing up in one of the biome displays.

Assent path set at 75

Craft TWR = 2.27

Craft Thrust = 4.400 MN

Craft Vessel Mass = 197.608 t

Max Acceleration = 22.27 m/s2

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Just now, ansaman said:

Hey, I told you what thousands of hours of playing with Mechjeb told me. I am using it now and it works fine. You don't have to listen to me. Further, try not using corrective steering.

without corrective steering it's much worse on target inclination.

try to compare with

and watch for losses (if you wish you can use mechjeb one (gravity loss, drag loss, steering loss) ), in case you minimize those you will see that mechjeb behave incorrectly (up to full launch failure).

8 minutes ago, captspiff said:

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Check your Q limit, your acceleration limit, your AoA limit. Is this a single stage ascent? What is initial TWR on the second stage? A screen capture would be helpful.

10 minutes ago, okder said:

try to compare with

I only use Mechjeb. If you are happy with the performance of another mod, use that.

10 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

I never use an ascent angle that high try lowering it to the 61.3 I found this angle suits most craft i build 

I use around 55 if I have a good TWR, you are right, 75 might be too high and 40 is almost always WAY too low given current atmospheric characteristics.

8 minutes ago, ansaman said:

Check your Q limit, your acceleration limit, your AoA limit. Is this a single stage ascent? What is initial TWR on the second stage? A screen capture would be helpful.

Q limit is turned off. I was using it set at 30000 pa but turned it off to try, and fail, to make assent work. 

AoA is set at 5 degrees

Two Stage assent: TWR is 0.53 (second stage lights after atmosphere escape)

Full Rocket

W/o First Stage

Payload