[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

46 minutes ago, maja said:

@kithylin I have one last recommendation to you. If you don't like, then don't use it. We were trying to help you with settings and better maneuveurs, but you don't want a help, just a tool which does everything instead of you. Your choice.

I appreciate the help but y'all are seeming to not understand. We -HAD- a tool that does everything for us before. That's literally what mechjeb did. I just want it to work like it used to. That's all :(  I wish there was some way to regress my KSP and go back to 1.2.xx and never update again. Maybe I'll go make a thread about that.

1 minute ago, kithylin said:

I appreciate the help but y'all are seeming to not understand. We -HAD- a tool that does everything for us before. That's literally what mechjeb did. I just want it to work like it used to. That's all :(  I wish there was some way to regress my KSP and go back to 1.2.xx and never update again. Maybe I'll go make a thread about that.

You are better off investing some time reading about software development, C# and Unity. 

Then, if you don't like something, you just need to change it and improve it :)

46 minutes ago, kithylin said:

You know, there actually is. Plenty of people run old versions until the mods "catch up," including me.

If you ask nicely, I'm sure lots of people would help you get it set up -- it's really not that hard.

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

Damned, I was found out. It was indeed all a conspiracy so players can Git Gud.

Instead of trying to make me intro a Bond villain you could maybe show us the settings you use ? Because I still use MJ default config to fly a Kerbal X to orbit as my basic test and it still does quite fine.

HaHa - Scene setting

There is Sarbian talking to Jeb as jeb is trying to land on the Mun

Jeb- " Do you expect me to land?"

Sarbian- "No Jebediah. I expect you to Die"

Sorry Sarbian, I found your comment Hilarious, As a long time user keep up the good work and no worries, your fans will wait as much as it is needed.  Happy holidays

Rafael

8 hours ago, danielboro said:

Is the steering fixed in the last dev build?

You ll have to explain a bit more.

Landing prediction, rover AP, landing gears and stagging for nearly empty tanks should now work in dev #760

17 hours ago, sarbian said:

You ll have to explain a bit more.

Landing prediction, rover AP, landing gears and stagging for nearly empty tanks should now work in dev #760

On phone no spell checker.  ill try.

Wen MJ try's to point to man/target/port it oscillates- max torque until it points to target then revers torque . But its to late.
No attempt to stop before pointing to target.

i think im using the stable build for 1.3.0, in any case i did not update any mod in 1.3.0 for at list 30 days

As i still dont have a working moded 1.3.1 im still playing in 1.3.0 and dont have first hand experience on what was fixed

Edited by danielboro

On 11/25/2017 at 4:03 AM, kithylin said:

I never had to "Set anything" before with mechjeb. I always just told the auto ascent thing 100km target, corrective steering,

I broke corrective steering in dev when I refactored all of the ascent guidance code.  I've got some fixes to that in my branch so it does at least some kind of corrective steering now, but I had trouble replicating the old algorithm precisely (I had a lot of difficulty in reading the old algorithm since the code was a mess and the comments didn't match what it did).  It should definitely not be used on dev right now though.

EDIT:  this will make it better, dunno if it will produce the same results as it used to:  https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/958

Edited by Jim DiGriz

Installed dev #760. Grabbed the stock Kerbal-X. Went to Mun. Landed and returned all under MJ control. Worked beautifully. Thanks @sarbian. Landed on Mun within 112 m of selected spot. Landed back on Kerbin (after circularizing) within 14.5 km of KSC. The only issue I noticed was just before transfer burn. MJ warped to within abt 7 min of burn, repositioned towards marker but did not resume warp. Gave it a kick start after one minute. I now feel comfortable enough with 1.3.1 to stop using 1.2.2. Again THANKS.

Edited by Red Shirt

13 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

The only issue I noticed was just before transfer burn. MJ warped to within abt 7 min of burn, repositioned towards marker but did not resume warp. Gave it a kick start after one minute. I now feel comfortable enough with 1.3.1 to stop using 1.2.2. Again THANKS.

The only thing I fixed is the landing prediction. The other bugs are still around for now but at least it land near the target now.

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

The only thing I fixed is the landing prediction. The other bugs are still around for now but at least it land near the target now.

Interesting. To check what I am experiencing (good times) I loaded stock AeroEquus this morning. Using out of the box MJ. The only change I made was to check Autostaging in the Utilities menu (I noticed checking this only in the Ascent menu tends to not fire the next engines after decoupling). Launched, transferred to Mun, returned, circularized, and landed on the short grass at KSC. Much of the trip was done in map mode. All of it was hands free except for standard MJ menu selections. 

From my perspective this version performs as expected. The last version I tried #751 required constant hand holding. If #760 still requires a lot of fixing from your perspective, then great as that means it will only get better for us mere mortals. 

So.. for a long time I've wondered why KSPIE drags my framerate down, and why it gets worse as I add more engines... I think I've traced it to a compatibility issue with MJ2... when I'm flying such craft, my log is full of literally millions of iterations of this:

[LOG 17:02:50.329] [MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Now, MJ2 seems to actually be doing its job correctly with the KSPIE engines in what I assume is calculations of thrust and dV... at least *mostly* correct... I have a feeling that the act of logging this so frequently may be at least partially to blame for the framerate decrease.. is there a way to decrease MJ2's log verbosity?  Or to maybe fix the compatibility issue?  Let me know if further info/testing is needed to help with this, I'm happy to participate.

Ok, Can you try with the dev to see if it was fixed then ? I made some change related to KSPIE in the past but I am not sure when;

If it still does not work I will need a test ship or what kind of KSPIE engine you use when you get the error spam.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:07 AM, jrodriguez said:

I recorded this beautiful video yesterday using Mechjeb for ascent & landing. You might learn something that Mechjeb is capable of - remote ascending & landing:

Mechjeb  can manage my second stage ascending even if it is not the active vessel. And also the final landing of the first stage even if it is not the active vessel. 

That is a great video.

Off topic, but can I ask what mod you are using to switch between vessels that are under acceleration?

Also, is that your BFR/BFS you are developing, or someone else's? It looks fantastic.

4 hours ago, Mandella said:

That is a great video.

Off topic, but can I ask what mod you are using to switch between vessels that are under acceleration?

Also, is that your BFR/BFS you are developing, or someone else's? It looks fantastic.

Hi Mandella,

To switch vessels I was using BDArmory but KSP allows you to switch between vessels by default using the brackets [ ] button - you don't need a mod for that.

However, in order to have several vessels loaded even at a great distance, you will need this

BTW. Finally the day 2 with the sucessful landing using Mechjeb.

Edited by jrodriguez

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Hi Mandella,

To switch vessels I was using BDArmory but KSP allows you to switch between vessels by default using the brackets [ ] button - you don't need a mod for that.

However, in order to have several vessels loaded even at a great distance, you will need this

BTW. Finally the day 2 with the sucessful landing using Mechjeb.

Thanks! For some reason I had gotten it into my head that you couldn't bracket shift between accelerating vessels.

D'oh!!

12 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

I successfully made a targeted landing on Minmus last night using dev build #760 in 1.3.1.  All worked as expected (i.e., worked just as well as with the release build in 1.3.0).  :)

And made a successful landing on the Mun just now.  As far as I can tell, everything is back in working order.

Merci beaucoup!

be careful with the physics range extender.  I uninstalled it after it caused a lot of spontaneous unwarranted explosions of craft.  It's probably an edge case incompatibility with some mod or another, but if you run a lot of mods, it may bite you in a big way.  Or maybe it's fixed now?

@sarbian I'm still getting the same log message on the dev build - 2.6.1.0-761 ... and on this particular iteration, it actually hard crashed KSP... log message:

[LOG 18:39:32.920] [MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The crash may have been a fluke, going to try it again.  Happened right after I engaged the engines on the craft, which is when the log messages started pouring in as well.

update: crash didn't happen a second time... throughout the flight the problem seems to get worse.  It may be due to the fact that this is a VTOL spaceplane with engines pointing both aft and down, although they're not often used at the same time.. this, it seems, may be confusing mechjeb's dV/thrust calculations for the vessel as it's a single 'stage' with multiple engines facing different directions in the same stage(?) .. not sure.

Edited by ss8913