sarbian

[1.10.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.11.0] [20th August 2020]

Recommended Posts

On 12/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, elanachan said:

Hello, I'm returning after a lengthily time away (last version played with mods was game version 1.3). After installing and reinstalling mechjeb I seem to have encountered a bug with 2.8.1.0 (as listed by CKAN). Despite setting the ascent path to 8.1km, it doesn't seem to have any effect, and the ascent guidance constantly starts to bank over at an altitude of less than 2000m.

If you have a rocket with large fins and your initial pitchover is too great (or your TWR is too low) then the fins act as AoA limiters (or you may have the AoA limiter checked), in which case you execute a way too aggressive gravity turn and you wind up with a ballistic missile instead of an orbital rocket.  That is largely just aerodynamics and rocket design, though, not a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

If you have a rocket with large fins and your initial pitchover is too great (or your TWR is too low) then the fins act as AoA limiters (or you may have the AoA limiter checked), in which case you execute a way too aggressive gravity turn and you wind up with a ballistic missile instead of an orbital rocket.  That is largely just aerodynamics and rocket design, though, not a bug.

This is exactly what happens to me when I use anything but "Classic Ascent Profile". Either "Stock Style" or "PEG" gives me exactly what you describe, they just arc over and come back down without ever making it out of the atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sarbian

I have a small suggestion for MJ. I love doing constellations with satellites equally spaced, and would be nice to have a feature to make this even easier than the Resonant Orbits method. How about doing Rendezvous to points forward or behind the target?

Like: Rendezvous, but 1/3 of the orbital period behind. This would make so much easier and efficient to do this constellations, and allowing for adjusting them.

Also one feature to allow to this easily (invert the position of the encounters). I think this one maybe trickier, since they are in different orbits. 

KCnjBQl.jpg

One I did with the actual method:

vrHvyd2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MaximumThrust said:

@sarbian

I have a small suggestion for MJ. I love doing constellations with satellites equally spaced, and would be nice to have a feature to make this even easier than the Resonant Orbits method. How about doing Rendezvous to points forward or behind the target?
 

Hohmann transfers now have a "period offset" option for doing that, set it to +/- 0.25 or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Hohmann transfers now have a "period offset" option for doing that, set it to +/- 0.25 or whatever.

I'm playing in 1.3.1. To test, I installed the latest version of MJ on a 1.5.1 install, now I have the "bi-impulsive" transfer, but couldn't find anything related to "period offset". Could you help me?

Edit: I've found it in the latest dev build, but I'm nothing getting good results, I tried both 0.25 and 1.25 to get 90º apart. 0.25 puts the vessel very close to the target, and 1.25 almost 180º apart.

Edited by MaximumThrust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

I'm playing in 1.3.1. To test, I installed the latest version of MJ on a 1.5.1 install, now I have the "bi-impulsive" transfer, but couldn't find anything related to "period offset". Could you help me?

Edit: I've found it in the latest dev build, but I'm nothing getting good results, I tried both 0.25 and 1.25 to get 90º apart. 0.25 puts the vessel very close to the target, and 1.25 almost 180º apart.

tick "simple coplanar Hohmann transfer" and make sure you have dev build >= 824.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dev build #830 should apply to KSP 1.4/1.5/1.6 without complaining about compatibility.

it looks like 1.6 required no code changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Issue on 1.6 with latest stock build. Now when I separate a stage and even though I already had a mechjeb module on the second stage, it now won't let me turn sas on saying no sas module installed when there is one right on it. Weird cause it lets me use the RCS thrusters on the second stage but not sas as it use to on 1.5.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Maneuver Planner is not unlocking with Advanced Flight Control.

This is with the new version of KSP and MechJeb2-2.8.1.0-830

Before you research Advanced Flight Control, the Maneuver Planner is still showing as unlocked with that, uhh, what shall we call it? increment of research? But once you research Advanced Flight Control, the Maneuver Planner is not available.

Yes, I'm checking this outdoors, no I'm not committing the n00b mistake of thinking it will show up in the VAB. Yes, I started a fresh game with the new KSP version. Yes, I have an MJ case on my rocket. Hmm, have I covered all the obvious bases? If not, I'm sure my fellow rocketheads will remind me :):):)

************************ EDIT *************************

I have done some more poking around, looking at this, and found that of the six modules that are supposed/alleged to unlock with Advanced Flight Control...

- Maneuver Planner, Translatron, Warp Helper, Attitude Adjuster, Thrust Window, & RCS Balancer

...it is only Maneuver Planner and Thrust Window that do not. The other four modules unlock correctly. Perhaps this will help track down what Squad have done to bust our balls this time :)

 

Edited by El Sancho
(redacted)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

Issue on 1.6 with latest stock build. Now when I separate a stage and even though I already had a mechjeb module on the second stage, it now won't let me turn sas on saying no sas module installed when there is one right on it. Weird cause it lets me use the RCS thrusters on the second stage but not sas as it use to on 1.5.1.

That sounds more like you've run out of eC or something like that.  Unless by SAS you mean MJ's Smart A.S.S or something, in which case you should be more explicit about exactly what you are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant the sas on the right side of nav ball. Before when I would separate a stage, and I then switched to it, I could stabilize it with sas then do another burn with it providing I had a mechjeb module on it. Sandbox mode. Right now in 1.6, when I switch to that stage, I can control it and even fire the engines but when I click on sas, it gives me that message about not having a sas module installed (when there is a mechjeb module on it). Maybe I have to try removing the mechjeb module and putting it back on. Just never had that happen before.

Edited by MikeO89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MikeO89 said:

I meant the sas on the right side of nav ball. Before when I would separate a stage, and I then switched to it, I could stabilize it with sas then do another burn with it providing I had a mechjeb module on it. Sandbox mode. Right now in 1.6, when I switch to that stage, I can control it and even fire the engines but I click on sas, it gives me that message about not having a sas module installed.

That isn't a MJ feature, that is stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else having issues with getting ascent guidance to show navball guidance on 1.5.1?

 

Mine seems to be targeting my only station in orbit when I select it according to KER

Edited by Boamere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is MechJeb compatible with Galileo? Or is MJ version for 1.5.0 incompatible with 1.5.1? I'm trying to use landing guidance on Gael, but despite setting target location it lands anywhere - it doesn't adjust trajectory, it only starts burning fuel before landing, when landing gear gets extended - just as if it was set to "land anywhere".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

That isn't a MJ feature, that is stock.

Hmm. I guess I've always associated the mechjeb module with the sas module cause when I've had one, I've had the other. Something has changed in 1.6 (or 1.6 with mods) cause same craft with second stage with mechjeb module now behave different. All up to 1.6 I could enable sas on any parts of craft as long as I had a mechjeb module on it. Now 1.6 is treating the two as two different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Hmm. I guess I've always associated the mechjeb module with the sas module cause when I've had one, I've had the other. Something has changed in 1.6 (or 1.6 with mods) cause same craft with second stage with mechjeb module now behave different. All up to 1.6 I could enable sas on any parts of craft as long as I had a mechjeb module on it. Now 1.6 is treating the two as two different things.

1.6 fixed a long standing thing where in sandbox all probecores had all SAS features, even if their stats say they shouldn't. There is a game setting where you can choose if all probes get all features, or only the ones they should. Might have to set that from the main menu settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OncaLupe said:

1.6 fixed a long standing thing where in sandbox all probecores had all SAS features, even if their stats say they shouldn't. There is a game setting where you can choose if all probes get all features, or only the ones they should. Might have to set that from the main menu settings.

Ok, well guess that explains it then. I'm going to have to find that setting or add something to a lot of parts on a lot of the crafts I've made cause I depended on being able to turn sas off or on at will with whatever parts of a craft I was trying to control. I've always assumed I could fly anything without a pilot if I had a Mechjeb module on it. Feels a bit weird that the mechjeb module would allow me to move the craft, fire the engines but not be able to turn on sas to keep it where I put it. Throws me off a bit. Now I have to think of Mechjeb modules and sas modules as separate things.

 

Edit: Put a guidance unit on the second stage and now have sas on it again.

Edited by MikeO89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kremonia said:

Uhm. Sorry folks KSP 1.6.0.2395 MJ2 2.8.1.0-830 from https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/
Not working at all. According to the logs plugin loaded but nothing appears. logs

Thanx in advance.

Huh! Did you see my post above about Maneuver Planner not unlocking with Advanced Flight Control like it should? Jim hasn't responded yet, but I assume that's just because he's working on figuring it out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any mod that links MechJeb features and enables it automatically based on Pilot, Probe Core, and possible Ground Tracking Station levels? Like KER? Having to stick the MechJeb unit on everything is kind of annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

Is there any mod that links MechJeb features and enables it automatically based on Pilot, Probe Core, and possible Ground Tracking Station levels? Like KER? Having to stick the MechJeb unit on everything is kind of annoying.

MechJeb for All

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

MechJeb for All

Neat. That's about half the equation. I was hoping for something linked to Pilot Kerbals as well, unlocking functionality based on their skill. Basically remove MechJeb features from the science tree and link it entirely to probe core technology level, pilot skill, and tracking station level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 7:06 AM, El Sancho said:

If not, I'm sure my fellow rocketheads will remind me :):):)

Hint: "Some modules are disabled until you unlock the proper node in the R&D tree or upgrade the tracking station"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Hint: "Some modules are disabled until you unlock the proper node in the R&D tree or upgrade the tracking station"

Ahh, so desu. In this case it's more like "and" than "or" ?

Well, it's 2:30am right now; I'm busy punishing my liver with a bottle of cheap red wine, baking bread, and watching "Dumplin", so I do believe I'll check that in the morning.

Jebediah's first axiom - Never EVER drink and KSP. Cooking, now, I can drink and do that like a pro, thanks to 50 years of experience. Plus, let's face it, making bread isn't exactly rocket science. You only really need 4 ingredients, and there's people can't spell their own name that make bread every day of the world like it was nothing.

****** EDIT ******

OK, it's the next afternoon, I'm sober again, (for now), and I'm happy to report that upgrading the Tracking Station did indeed unlock Maneuver Planner as it should. Thanks very much, Jim, for pointing out the solution to that non-problem, and apologies for wasting your time. And a grateful shout-out to Sarbian for all his hard work.

Edited by El Sancho
When the moon is in the 7th house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.