[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

54 minutes ago, Nightside said:

@custume, that is strange, can find the version of MJ you used to use that worked? Maybe you can revert to that version.

Anyway, like many other mods, this one has specific requirements for support requests listed in the OP.

I cant, some of the mods don't work on the old version or is hard to find an older version that works well together.
I have no logs, the game do not crash or anything, unless he needs the system default log, but that don't have anything about the mod/s.

51 minutes ago, maja said:

@custume Really? You are trying to fly a brick on Kerbin and blame the MJ when it can't handle it? Make an aerodynamic rocket with rover hidden inside a fairing and COL under COM. MJ will fly it without problems.

Yes its a brick, but a brick with style hehheheheheh
About the test rover, is balance and center so I can launch it and control it by hand with no problem.

Also I don't think is a MJ problem, not directly but something to do with is sensitivity, it keeps trying to correct it self to much.
To fix this I think it only needs a sensibility bar/nº like the "corrective steering" , that way player can set the max force that MJ can use, also a way to permanently disable the roll in the start.

I made another video with different type of crafts, with 3 ships ...

One massive, another massive but smaller, and for last a basic one engine ship with MJ on and after that off.
The 1º one you will notice a small wobble (real small) because is really heavy, the 2º one you will see it more clear, and on the final one is very visible.

Oh, and one note, I only use MJ on massive ships (the smaller ones I don't need) and for landing because it spares a lot of fuel, so if the ship wobbles them defeats purpose.

Thank you all for the comments and best regards

1 hour ago, maja said:

@custume Really? You are trying to fly a brick on Kerbin and blame the MJ when it can't handle it? Make an aerodynamic rocket with rover hidden inside a fairing and COL under COM. MJ will fly it without problems.

In my experience MJ can even fly bricks so long as they are carefully balanced.  I've built some pretty messy rovers in the SPH and very carefully placed their coupling point at the COM.  I also make sure the drag is at least very close to symmetric.  Turn late and shallow, better to waste a bit of fuel going higher than burn it up on the default trajectory.  (It will fly with the defaults, surviving the flight is another matter, and the drag might be enough to keep it from reaching orbit.  Once your apoapsis reaches the target altitude MJ uses maneuver nodes and doesn't compensate nearly so well.)

hi, just reporting that the ckan homepage link for mechjeb2 is broken for me. keeps giving me an "invalid thread:124336" I use ckan for quick mod referencing and use the homepage for manual installing links. is this an issue the ckan or the link itself? thanks!

3 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

One question about MechJeb's current 1.3.1 build.... is there any reason why its making the ascent sideways instead of turning the rocket after launch so that it would be even with the horizon? 

theres a roll feature in one of the toolbar menus for MJ. i forget which one. but you can use that to roll your ship to be level with the horizon after launching.

@custume

Actually I think MJ flew that monstrosity surprisingly well. You might improve matters somewhat  by enabling differential throttle (look in MJ's Options) and setting Gimbal limit to 25% (experiment with it; try adjusting up or down from 25% if needed)

But honestly, you are asking the autopilot to fly an odd design  with ascent guidance which expects a more conventional design and it did a pretty good job of it

Edited by Starwaster

6 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

hi, just reporting that the ckan homepage link for mechjeb2 is broken for me. keeps giving me an "invalid thread:124336" I use ckan for quick mod referencing and use the homepage for manual installing links. is this an issue the ckan or the link itself? thanks!

theres a roll feature in one of the toolbar menus for MJ. i forget which one. but you can use that to roll your ship to be level with the horizon after launching.

That fixed it!

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@custume

Actually I think MJ flew that monstrosity surprisingly well. You might improve matters somewhat  by enabling differential throttle (look in MJ's Options) and setting Gimbal limit to 25% (experiment with it; try adjusting up or down from 25% if needed)

But honestly, you are asking the autopilot to fly an odd design  with ascent guidance which expects a more conventional design and it did a pretty good job of it

Actually, MJ did not fly well, if you see the video the last ship I send was a one engine ship, and MJ wobble by it self.

See the complete video, also is not that I cant contra-act MJ and keep it stable, is that why do I have to, I use MJ to not use manual input .

So, im sorry but for the moment MJ is creating more problems that it help with small ships, on the big ones just takes more time to start the wobble.

For me MJ trying to correct it self all the time is the problem.

Best regards to all

EDIT: oh, Starwaster is not a big monstrosity (trust me I already send bigger), also is not an old MJ thing because on the last version of KSP 1.2 MJ work great and actually landed stuff way bigger than that.
That ship ( lunar outpost ) I already have 2 of them, one on the mun and on minmus , they are farming sci and cash.

My record with MJ was something with 1900 parts and several tons of weigh, so for me this is a MJ bug/error/problem, and for some one that uses MJ a longgggg time, longgggg time is so easy to see this type of error , I was one of the 1º to use MJ back in the 0.5x version I think, don't remember to long ago

Also im not requesting anything major, just a slider to config the MJ force use in takeoff and landings.

Edited by custume
typo

On 12/8/2017 at 9:44 PM, vossiewulf said:

Thanks, but why? Should never need that much alpha on a rocket destined for space. All-aspect dogfighting missile tracking a moving target at short range yes, big old rocket aimed for a specific gravity-turn trajectory shouldn't need anywhere near that much.

Why? Because it works and I achieve a circularized orbit using less Dv... I suppose if I was that worried about how things should be in the game I would install RSS, RO, FAR, etc. For what it's worth I do also usually set it so that it doesn't begin to pitch until it's reached about 200m/s.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, Starwaster said:

I too like to flirt with high AoA, but changing it mid-ascent can definitely increase the risk of flipping... best to set it prior to launch. That generally ensures that AoA will change gradually and MJ can handle the adjustments with greater ease. Other caveats to be aware of are increased drag and increased surface heating as the craft goes supersonic.

Oh I never even considered changing it during flight, I always set it before launch. I'm no rocket scientist so sometimes they flip with a 10 degree limit but don't at 9.

Does anyone know if the rover autopilot's "speed control" feature is supposed to brake if the rover is going too fast? By tweaking the PID settings I think I've been able to get it to slow down more aggressively by putting the wheels in reverse, but this isn't nearly as effective at braking as, well, actually using the brakes.

The reason I have this problem is that I'm using wheels from the Kerbal Foundries mod, which tend to break when going over their max speed, so for the auto pilot to be useful I need it not go over that speed even when going down a hill.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BadOaks

On 12/9/2017 at 6:21 PM, Starwaster said:

@custume

Actually from the last post, I think he has a point, or at least he does if he's reporting accurately. He says his giant flying bricks used to fly well, now those same bricks are oscillating. that strongly suggests a change in MJ behavior at least with respect to giant flying bricks. Also, his request for a thrust/force limiter for MJ's control inputs seems a reasonable one, I could see that being useful to people, including the ones launching bricks, mega-bricks, inverted double bricks, and rockets made entirely out of tomatoes.

5 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Actually from the last post, I think he has a point, or at least he does if he's reporting accurately. He says his giant flying bricks used to fly well, now those same bricks are oscillating. that strongly suggests a change in MJ behavior at least with respect to giant flying bricks. Also, his request for a thrust/force limiter for MJ's control inputs seems a reasonable one, I could see that being useful to people, including the ones launching bricks, mega-bricks, inverted double bricks, and rockets made entirely out of tomatoes.

A large part of change in MJ behavior is due to physics changes. Bricks of any variety are not going to fly the same way as they did before.  Drag used to have the same impact on every part regardless of how much larger the part was and regardless of its mass. Now drag is affected by size and mass. (greater drag on larger parts but and more massive parts are affected by drag to a lesser degree)

You can try to compensate by introducing changes in MJ but the bottom line is that well designed craft will ALWAYS outperform poorly designed craft and MJ will be able to fly well designed craft better than it can poorly designed craft.

Garbage In - Garbage Out.

Hello Sarbian,

I believe that, while using landing guidance through an atmosphere, you are simulating an object falling prograde rather than retrograde. 

I tested this against Trajectories, which is very accurate, and it's prograde setting lines up closely with you decent line.

Mechjeb has been inaccurate for over a year for landings that are very shallow through an atmosphere.

7 hours ago, sarbian said:

3 pages about the science of brick flying and I still did not notice any info on the settings in the attitude adjustment window, where all the magic of brick flying takes place.

MechJeb can fly anything with the right attitude settings.

12 hours ago, sarbian said:

3 pages about the science of brick flying and I still did not notice any info on the settings in the attitude adjustment window, where all the magic of brick flying takes place.

Well I already say all I can, and please stop with the brick because my last test the ship was A NORMAL 1 ENGINE SHIP.

I even create a video to show. so If you guys don't do anything fine, is your problem, I don't care, I will just get another mod and move on.

The only thing I see is people giving excuses for the MJ falling, but still don't offer any change or help, I remember the older dev to help more and listen.

Best regards to all

Edited by custume

15 hours ago, custume said:

The only thing I see is people giving excuses for the MJ falling, but still don't offer any change or help, I remember the older dev to help more and listen.

They don't offer excuses. They offer explanation. Code is not magic and the game changed quite a bit in the 3 (4?) years since the original MJ dev stopped working on it. 

As I said you did not show any of the settings you used and it is quite hard to help when one only comes to complain about the good old time of 1.2. And may I remind you that I am the main contributor of MJ since 0.90. So that "older dev" is most likely me.

20 hours ago, Weirwindle said:

I believe that, while using landing guidance through an atmosphere, you are simulating an object falling prograde rather than retrograde. 

I tested this against Trajectories, which is very accurate, and it's prograde setting lines up closely with you decent line.

Mechjeb has been inaccurate for over a year for landings that are very shallow through an atmosphere.

Which version did you test that with ? I (mostly?) fixed the prediction in the dev release.

Edited by sarbian

9 hours ago, sarbian said:

They don't offer excuses. They offer explanation. Code is not magic and the game changed quite a bit in the 3 (4?) years since the original MJ dev stopped working on it. 

As I said you did not show any of the settings you used and it is quite hard to help when one only comes to complain about the good old time of 1.2. And may I remind you that I am the main contributor of MJ since 0.90. So that "older dev" is most likely me.

Which version did you test that with ? I (mostly?) fixed the prediction in the dev release.

are you serious, your problem is that ?!?!?!
Did you even see the video, the settings you are asking are in the video, are you blind or what .
Pause the video at launch and you can see the setting.

Another excuse, I did say anything about the old version just that they work better.

This is the last post I answer , you have the video with all the settings you need, if you like to do something , fine,  if not I don't care.

This is what I don't understand, devs love to have videos with all the information, but for some reason you don't and them complain that there is no information to help., also I add a lot of information that I normally don't.

What ?!?! you need me to tell you where in the code you need to change too, is that it.

Edited by custume

20 minutes ago, custume said:

fare you serious, your problem is that ?!?!?!
Did you even see the video, the settings you are asking are in the video, are you blind or what .
Pause the video at launch and you can see the setting.

Another excuse, I did say anything about the old version just that they work better.

This is the last post, you have the video with all the settings you need, if you like to do something , fine if not I don't care.

This is what I don't understand, devs love to have videos with all the information, but for some reason you don't and them complain that there is no information to help., also I add a lot of information that I normally don't.

Specific information was asked for and not provided; your video does not provide it nor have you provided the information in your posts. The Ascent Guidance window isn't even close to what Sarbian said.

Specific suggestions have been made and no followup posts from you have acknowledged those suggestions nor have you indicated you tried the suggestions nor have you provided feedback as to the results from carrying out those suggestions.

Are there any plans to, or is there a way already, to handle hot staging with MJ? We've been chatting about it over in the Tantares topic, as the Soviet/Russian rockets use(d) it. Right now the only way is to manually do it, or use smart parts to time it. Would it be possible to set a mode that will light the next stage's engine just before blowing the decoupler?

57 minutes ago, Weirwindle said:

Have tried builds 760, 763, 768, and 769

#760 is the only one where I saw you fix the dragcurve

And it still land on the wrong side of the planet for you ? 

18 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

Are there any plans to, or is there a way already, to handle hot staging with MJ? We've been chatting about it over in the Tantares topic, as the Soviet/Russian rockets use(d) it. Right now the only way is to manually do it, or use smart parts to time it. Would it be possible to set a mode that will light the next stage's engine just before blowing the decoupler?

Currently I think the only things that may help is the Scripting module.

I need to think about how to do it. Not sure it is doable without an option to set the stage numbers. There was some talk about hot staging with in RO but I don't remember the details.