[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I'm having issues with mechjeb display elements not showing up. The most annoying one is that the background on dropdown menus seems to be entirely transparent. I've also noticed that the landing guidance indicators don't show up. It tends to mess with the mouse indicator also. Is there some transparency setting that is causing me problems, or is this a bug?

TODuaEM.png

MechJeb2 version 2.9.2.0 installed via CKAN

KSP version 1.9.1 installed via steam

@Jim DiGriz @sarbian Another bug report.  Changes introduced at #973 adversely affected differential throttles and the accent autopilot.  I've included a good takeoff video of the previous behavior and a video of the most recent MechJeb behavior.  No errors are in the log.  There's the sequence of "Awaiting Liftoff" messages with the next messages being related to explosions from crashing.

This is doing a launch to intercept an orbital station.  10km target orbit with a 20% accent profile shape. Differential Throttles is toggled on.  I've done this flight with this craft at least a dozen times over the last couple of months.

This was a video I made a couple weeks ago, but #972 still behaves this way.  Notice the throttle cut and flip turn soon after liftoff.  I thought this was highly impressive performance.

This is from #973 this morning.  I also tested #975 after I saw it posted and it's the same behavior. All installed from CKAN. You can see the difference in the engines right from ignition. The throttle limiters are rapidly cycling engines on and off killing overall performance.  Without differential throttles the craft handles like a drunk fat man and crashes anyway.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb (as I've been playing KSP for ages but only now started using MJ) - but is the ascent autopilot nav ball indicator broken? I can click the "Show ascent navball guidance" and it seems to reset my the target for my vessel, but I can't see anything on the navball. I've tried this with the autopilot both enabled and disabled. I can only switch between `Surface` and `Orbit` on the navball itself so i'm not sure if I'm doing something dumb, or whether it's a bug.

Thanks.

many features work but "Land somewhere" dont work in latest version from ckan (2.9.2.0) ... smash ship to Mun terrain with ~2500m above sea level at 200+ m/s speed while landing from 100km orbit

Now Landing Guidance is broken. When activated with Land at target or Land somewehre nothing happend and the log is flooded with this:

[ERR 00:27:50.883] MechJeb module MechJebModuleAttitudeController threw an exception in Drive: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) [0x00029] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeGetReferenceRotation (MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) [0x00465] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00008] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00048] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 

[EXC 00:27:50.887] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
	System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeGetReferenceRotation (MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeReferenceToWorld (Vector3d vector, MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeTo (Vector3d direction, MuMech.AttitudeReference reference, System.Object controller) (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.Landing.DeorbitBurn.OnFixedUpdate () (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.AutopilotModule.OnFixedUpdate () (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	MuMech.AutopilotModule:OnFixedUpdate()
	MuMech.MechJebModuleLandingAutopilot:OnFixedUpdate()
	MuMech.MechJebCore:FixedUpdate()
[ERR 00:27:50.888] MechJeb module MechJebModuleAttitudeController threw an exception in OnFixedUpdate: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) [0x00029] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeGetReferenceRotation (MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) [0x00465] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeAngleFromTarget () [0x00019] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00139] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 

[ERR 00:27:50.899] MechJeb module MechJebModuleAttitudeController threw an exception in Drive: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00008] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) [0x00048] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 

[EXC 00:27:50.900] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
	System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeGetReferenceRotation (MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeReferenceToWorld (Vector3d vector, MuMech.AttitudeReference reference) (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeTo (Vector3d direction, MuMech.AttitudeReference reference, System.Object controller) (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.Landing.DeorbitBurn.OnFixedUpdate () (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	MuMech.AutopilotModule.OnFixedUpdate () (at <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	MuMech.AutopilotModule:OnFixedUpdate()
	MuMech.MechJebModuleLandingAutopilot:OnFixedUpdate()
	MuMech.MechJebCore:FixedUpdate()
[ERR 00:27:50.901] MechJeb module MechJebModuleAttitudeController threw an exception in OnFixedUpdate: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.attitudeAngleFromTarget () [0x00019] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleAttitudeController.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00139] in <ab773ed2b35945c99f0a1273e0237d43>:0 

I've just started playing Kerbal again and I only have mechjeb 2.9.2 installed as a mod.

When I try and select the landing site, the reticle doesn't appear.  All I can do with the mouse is the normal things (rotate, zoom, etc.).

I vaguely remember a simple fix for this and did it awhile ago.  Now that I've updated it's occured again and I don't remember the fix.

I running on a Alienware 17R with windows.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:30 PM, drhay53 said:

@Michel Bartolone

I was seeing the delta v issue in the VAB and then I realized that the altitude slider had defaulted to a very high altitude, making the delta v calculation basically a vacuum delta v. That looks to me like what you're seeing. 

I also figured that out about the same time, but have not had the opportunity to post since then...so yeah, that was the issue.

I cannot express how essential and wonderful this mod is. I'm so used to using it that it would be an entirely different game without MechJeb. Thank you!

One question, however. The auto-lander is pretty good (except on Duna) but is there a way to adjust landing target mid-landing? The example use case is what just happened to me... I was landing a supply drop at a Mun base, when I realized that the coordinates I had given it were right on top of one of my buildings! Not ideal.

Changing the target coordinates (using the +10m/-10m buttons) had no effect on the actual landing target. Stopping and restarting the autoland module also didn't update to the new coordinates I had set; it was still bound and determined to land at the old coordinates.

Is there something I have missed, or is this just a limitation?

7 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Is there something I have missed, or is this just a limitation?

I haven't seen anyway to get MechJeb to update it's landing coordinates once you are out of orbit.  But at the same time you don't have to ride it's trajectory all the way down.  You can provide manual inputs at most stages while still under MechJeb control. In the video below, when the de-orbit burn starts you'll see me see me rotate the lander so it's level, I'm aligning it with the landing pad.  Around the 2:00 minute mark the lander enters the final descent phase and I use RCS to move the exact touchdown spot to where I want.  You can also tilt your rocket in the direction you want to move the impact point. MechJeb will fight you on these adjustments, trying to zero out horizontal speed.  The red impact marker you will see in the video is from KER.

I don't know what causes it, but I rarely have pinpoint accurate landings from MechJeb on the coordinates I give it.  It gets within a couple hundred meters of my aim point usually tens of meters.  They are precise in the sense that they are repeatable for each craft.  If one set of coordinates was 100 m short, next time I'll move the coordinates 100m.  Eventually I could get a set of coordinates for each lander that would bring them down repeatably within a couple meters of where I wanted but these are always offset from the coordinates that were fed into MechJeb.  But the coordinates would all be unique for different designs.  This was tedious and time consuming to work out, so now I just adjust during the final descent.  And if that doesn't work enough, use Translatron to "hover taxi" to where I want the lander parked.

Ah, I see. So basically if I perturb its path while landing, it will still land, but won't correct the new trajectory? That sounds workable. Not ideal, but MechJeb does such a massive pile of stuff, I can hardly complain if I occasionally run into a thing or two that I want that it doesn't do. I'd also like it to do my taxes for me, but it refuses to do that. :)

I've never actually played with Hover Taxi, and apparently didn't remember that it was a thing. Time to play with another MJ module, I guess.

Edited by Tokamak

I am having a weird pair of problems, that might be related. Would it be possible to get a bit of troubleshooting help?

Problem 1/2: The Smart A.S.S. "TGT+" option is not pointing the craft directly at its target, but a good 20 degrees away from it.

In this picture, the station is the active vessel, and the vessel in the foreground is the target. The current control point of the station is the docking port that I highlighted. After trying multiple times, with multiple docking ports, it always comes to rest like this. The station has enough reaction wheel torque that it rotates just fine, it just stops when it is off at the wrong angle.

Spoiler

OPCeg6t.png

Problem 2/2: MechJeb's docking autopilot is very confused about where the station's docking ports are.

In the following picture, the smaller craft is the active vessel, and that same docking port on the station is its target. (The little craft on the right side of the picture is not involved) The docking autopilot carefully and accurately positions itself 40m or so away from the docking port, and off to the side.

This is the position at which the docking autopilot disables itself, seemingly thinking docking is complete. Re-enabling it just causes it to immediately disable itself

CJQmLKe.png

Any idea what might be going on here?

Here are my logs: 

ksp.log https://mega.nz/file/Rg5FnJCS#HONUpbNIxtIU9-t6NouJjw8l2xu0neZGAuVfjiT7m50

player.log https://mega.nz/file/g4gDBBLK#sxJtAIYwT5nJlWRcfvUhz_w7wtVYqSLV_8W0X-jDdVo

Addendum:

I don't know if this is related or not, but the docking ports in this scenario also refuse to work. By that I mean that when you bring them in contact with each other as you normally would, no attraction or docking occur, and the two craft just gently bounce off of each other.

9WsGeOD.png

I've tried this with multiple ports, including one that I just undocked another vessel from, and the result is the same lack of any docking behavior. The docking ports on both craft have the usual docking port actions available in the action menu, so it's not as if they somehow lost the docking port module.

I realize this could mean it's a KSP problem instead of a MechJeb problem, but given the weird mechjeb behavior, I'm still starting here.

6 hours ago, IowaTech80 said:

I patched the landing sites CFG to add sites from KSCExtended and Tundra Space Center.  Would you be at all interested in updating your mod to include these?  If so, I can provide the added lines.  Thanks

That would probably be better be handled as a MM patch bundled with KSCExtended and TSC. 

56 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

That would probably be better be handled as a MM patch bundled with KSCExtended and TSC. 

This ^^^

It s easy to make a MM patch that will only run when MJ is installed.

I love this mod and I can’t express my words of gratitude in only a short message so thank you so much! 
I’m only questioning... could it be possible to teach mechjeb to steer the rocket with aerodynamics when possible instead of correcting the trajectory with undue fuel?? 
It seems to be more efficient when trying to recover first stages.

What are your thoughts? Could it be done now? Or as well, is it a good idea for a future update?

My regards.

10 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I realize this could mean it's a KSP problem instead of a MechJeb problem, but given the weird mechjeb behavior, I'm still starting here.

Sounds to me like MJ is being smart and recognizing that the port you want to dock at is non-functional, and your problem is that the docking port isn't working. And it's probably not working as you have four ports stacked on each other, one of which appears backward.

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

Sounds to me like MJ is being smart and recognizing that the port you want to dock at is non-functional, and your problem is that the docking port isn't working. And it's probably not working as you have four ports stacked on each other, one of which appears backward.

*blink blink*

Well I feel dumb. It's funny how you can look right past something right in your face. Thanks. XD

Greetings! I have a feature request/bug to bring up with using Physics warp with Ascent Guidance.

When a craft has finished its orbital burn and is coasting out of the atmosphere MechJeb sets physics warp to 2x. However, you cannot increase this any higher- the warp is stuck at 2x even though I would like to be able to increase warp to 3x or 4x to speed up the process. Would it be possible to add this to MechJeb?

I.E. allow users to increase phys warp time above the default 2x warp with Ascent Guidance.

Issue with Ascent Guidance:

So I'm new to the game and even tho i did all the tutorials I have some issues with getting into orbit, so when I saw your mod I was very happy that i could just hand off the ascent to a computer but sadly things didn't work out that way.

I recently built the launcher and Satellite Assembly described in this tutorial on the wiki -> https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_Basic_Probe_And_Satellite_Building

I know the rocket it describes is a really bad one but after some modifications I got it into Orbit relativley fine and launched two sattelites to different orbits but when I tried the exact same rocket with ascent guidance doing the job, it spun out about 30 seconds into flight, I then tried the Gravity turn profile which kind of worked, the Rocket ended up "correcting end-speed" for 2 minutes before attempting to circularize with a nuclear engine after the appoapsis basically accelarating into a reentry, dooming the rocket. After some serious downsizing of the rockets first stage and SRBS I got the ascent guidance to work, but it to fails to circularize and keeps crashing, it also performs such an aggresive gravity turn that a circularication burn is impossible.

I don't think the mod is broken, because it does work, just not as advertised. No I have a question, am I overlooking something or does the mod require a master crafted perfectly balanced rocket?

Have you tried adjusting the ascent profile? By default the "turn shape" is set to 40%, which may already be too aggressive if your rocket has a low TWR, isn't very maneuverable and/or aerodynamic. If you rocket tips over, crashes or just doesn't make orbit despite sufficient deltaV, try turning the percentage up to 50% or even 60%. It will be a less efficient ascent, but it still lets MJ handle most of the oddly shaped rockets. If your save allows reverting flights, just experiment with this slider a bit to find your rocket's sweet spot.

As far as your other issues go I have no idea, as I never used the other ascent profiles, only the default one. The others seem like legacy stuff to me, the classic ascent profile does a good enough job for me to stay with it.

6 hours ago, luz5020 said:

Issue with Ascent Guidance:

So I'm new to the game and even tho i did all the tutorials I have some issues with getting into orbit, so when I saw your mod I was very happy that i could just hand off the ascent to a computer but sadly things didn't work out that way.

[snip]

I've found that the ascent guidance is temperamental. Probably because aerodynamics is hard. I've gotten a feel for the sort of rocket it likes, but it's kind of fiddly. In my experience, you need to make sure it is super stable and has a lot of control authority. Remember, those SRBs can't vector thrust.

I'd recommend trying it with a fairly simple rocket, with an engine that has a decent gimbal range, and fins/control surfaces, and maybe even some RCS on the rocket proper.