[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Forgive a noob question (and I hope this hasn't been covered already - I didn't find it when I did my search), but what is the "Thrust Window" that is supposed to unlock when I research "Advanced Flight Control"?  I can't find documentation for it, and I don't see it in the sandbox game that I started up to look for it.

Hello, MechJeb's Landing guidance is quite a bit off. For Example: If I attempt to land on the KSC pad, It directs me to the tracking station(some 400m away) and when I try to land on a barge, I miss it by 1km, or I crash into it at 100m/s.

Does anybody have a soloution? It works well on bodies without an atmosphere, though.

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with a rocket using MechJeb Ascent Guidance.  For reference, I also have FAR and ReScale 2.5x installed.  All parts of the rocket are Bluedog Design Bureau.

https://imgur.com/a/MO7fUGS

I'm not understanding this pitch change/alpha change as I hit ~25000pa.  It happens only on this rocket, and it happens in all guidance modes.  I've tried restricting and enlarging the Alpha limiter, changing the rocket pitch rate, and several other items and when I am finally able to get it to successfully orbit, it's a massively steep launch path that results in me having far too little dV to get into a basic 90 x 90 orbit, much less get into the orbit described.

Any suggestions are welcome.

8 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with a rocket using MechJeb Ascent Guidance.  For reference, I also have FAR and ReScale 2.5x installed.  All parts of the rocket are Bluedog Design Bureau.

https://imgur.com/a/MO7fUGS

I'm not understanding this pitch change/alpha change as I hit ~25000pa.  It happens only on this rocket, and it happens in all guidance modes.  I've tried restricting and enlarging the Alpha limiter, changing the rocket pitch rate, and several other items and when I am finally able to get it to successfully orbit, it's a massively steep launch path that results in me having far too little dV to get into a basic 90 x 90 orbit, much less get into the orbit described.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I don't see your TWR in those pictures.  What is it like?

14 hours ago, pmoffitt said:

I don't see your TWR in those pictures.  What is it like?

It's ~1.4 on liftoff and stays under 3 all the way up.

Also, I was finally able to get it to launch using Classic Ascent and some tweaks from another user in the BDB thread, but I'm still hoping to get some suggestions as I still have a few Juno II launches left in the sequence and I would love to be able to use PVG for the launches since it seems to be smoother and I'm about to start working some high precision launches that are on the edge of the rocket's capability.

13 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

It's ~1.4 on liftoff and stays under 3 all the way up.

Also, I was finally able to get it to launch using Classic Ascent and some tweaks from another user in the BDB thread, but I'm still hoping to get some suggestions as I still have a few Juno II launches left in the sequence and I would love to be able to use PVG for the launches since it seems to be smoother and I'm about to start working some high precision launches that are on the edge of the rocket's capability.

1.4 should be enough to get you into orbit.  So, I assume that isn't an issue. I have had some issues if I was running too low on TWR.

Yeah, the problem is stability, not thrust.  I switched to classic guidance and got it to work, just find it odd that PVG causes this wierd Alpha/pitch harmonic at/near Max Q on a rocket that's pretty conventional and should work fine.  I guess it's just an oddity of that rocket.

@sarbianGot a weird bug here.  I've been going back&forth with @KSPrynk over in my thread:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/196204-18x-19x-110x-moduleanimgenericresourceusage/

Log of logs are there for analysis, but the short story is that with with the following scenario, the game crashes (endless idle loop):

I thought it may have been a bad build on my jenkins server, so I built it by hand using Visual Studio, compiling against the specific game install.  Mod is configured with a target framework of .Net Framework 4.5.  I also tested changing the target framework to 4.7.2, no difference.

The actual error at the end of the log file is:

Uploading Crash Report
ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes(System.Reflection.Assembly,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () [0x00039] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () [0x00000] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () [0x00181] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00027] in <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(Filename: <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6> Line: 0)

[ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
ModuleAnimGenericResourceUsage 0.0.0.4 GameData\ModuleAnimGenericResourceUsage\Plugins\ModuleAnimGenericResourceUsage.dll

All logs & MM files are here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdgpqwehx3xydr5/MAGRU_Mechjeb_Errors.zip?dl=0

Removing   Mechjeb lets the game proceed normally without any errors.  The zip includes all logs (except for KSP.log) for both a failed start and a success when I removed Mechjeb

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@sarbianGot a weird bug here.  I've been going back&forth with @KSPrynk over in my thread:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/196204-18x-19x-110x-moduleanimgenericresourceusage/

Log of logs are there for analysis, but the short story is that with with the following scenario, the game crashes (endless idle loop):

I thought it may have been a bad build on my jenkins server, so I built it by hand using Visual Studio, compiling against the specific game install.  Mod is configured with a target framework of .Net Framework 4.5.  I also tested changing the target framework to 4.7.2, no difference.

The actual error at the end of the log file is:

Uploading Crash Report
ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes(System.Reflection.Assembly,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () [0x00039] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () [0x00000] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () [0x00181] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00027] in <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(Filename: <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6> Line: 0)

[ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
ModuleAnimGenericResourceUsage 0.0.0.4 GameData\ModuleAnimGenericResourceUsage\Plugins\ModuleAnimGenericResourceUsage.dll

All logs & MM files are here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdgpqwehx3xydr5/MAGRU_Mechjeb_Errors.zip?dl=0

Removing   Mechjeb lets the game proceed normally without any errors.  The zip includes all logs (except for KSP.log) for both a failed start and a success when I removed Mechjeb

@sarbianI've been doing some digging into this.  I found the code which seems to be triggering this issue.

using KSP_Log;  // From the SpaceTuxLibrary

namespace AnimateWithResources
{
    public class ModuleSciExpResourceUsage : ModuleScienceExperiment
    {
        Log Logg; // Log is from KSP_Log
    }
}

If I remove the Log line, it's fine.

I can remove it for now, but there is something wrong.  I'm using this exact same code in a number of other mods without any problem like this (that I've seen)

I am running KSP 1.8.1 and MechJeb2. In the past, you had to add another mod which would automatically add the required MJ parts to all command modules in the game. Now it seems there is a way to do this in MechJeb2, without needing another mod (like "MechJeb2 Embedded by Dennis6492). Is that true, and if so, how is that done? I don't want to be able to ignore the tech tree in Career mode...just have MechJeb2 work without the hassle of adding one of the 2 MechJeb2 parts to every module.

Thanks!

On 11/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, antipro said:

as suggested I do a feature request:

Like I've said in this topic:

As the stock SAS does, I would like to have the Smart A.S.S. turned off when an unmanned probe loses signal.

I like it the way it is.

You could always just not use it. That way we can both have what we want, and Sarbian  need not do any extra work.

Edited by El Sancho
(redacted)

hi, i got one issue...
because i'm using a low-end pc, i've created a folder under GameData named "MechJebUseCommandPod" as suggested some time ago... to remove the Mechjeb as standard feature on all command pods...

so, now if i want a vessel with the Mechjeb i must put the "Mechjeb ar202" on the ship surface... and it is good for me!

but, using the "universal storage" mod, i want to have the mechjeb feature also inside the control computer of this mod...

because i'm not too skilled into modding... i ask to you what i must to do to reach this goal...

thanks to all

Edited by Kerbinidiel

20 hours ago, Kerbinidiel said:

but, using the "universal storage" mod, i want to have the mechjeb feature also inside the control computer of this mod...

You'd need to add a ModuleManager patch similar to what MechJeb uses. I haven't tested it but it should look like this:

Spoiler

@PART[USSingleProbeCore,USDoubleProbeCore]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]
{
  %MODULE[MechJebCore]
  {
    %MechJebLocalSettings
    {
      %MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { %unlockTechs = flightControl }
      %MechJebModuleSmartASS { %unlockTechs = flightControl }
      %MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleNodeEditor { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleTranslatron { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleWarpHelper { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleThrustWindow { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleRoverWindow { %unlockTechs = fieldScience }
      %MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { %unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
      %MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { %unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
      %MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { %unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
      %MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { %unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
      %MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { %unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
      %MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { %unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
    }
  }
}

Put this into a US2MJ.cfg (or whatever name you prefer) somewhere within the GameData directory.

9 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

You'd need to add a ModuleManager patch similar to what MechJeb uses. I haven't tested it but it should look like this:

Hide contents

@PART[USSingleProbeCore,USDoubleProbeCore]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]
{
  %MODULE[MechJebCore]
  {
    %MechJebLocalSettings
    {
      %MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { %unlockTechs = flightControl }
      %MechJebModuleSmartASS { %unlockTechs = flightControl }
      %MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleNodeEditor { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleTranslatron { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleWarpHelper { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleThrustWindow { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { %unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
      %MechJebModuleRoverWindow { %unlockTechs = fieldScience }
      %MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { %unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
      %MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { %unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
      %MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { %unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
      %MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { %unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
      %MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { %unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
      %MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { %unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
    }
  }
}

Put this into a US2MJ.cfg (or whatever name you prefer) somewhere within the GameData directory.

thx for the answer... i hoped to reach this goal with more simple method... i thinked there was something to copy/paste inside that "MechJebUseCommandPod" i've created to GameData...

Hello!
As a comment:
I've had problems with the Rendezvous module. On more than one occasion, when it is near the target, it has restarted causing high fuel consumption. And as a rule, look for a larger orbit to the target.
This is most serious when the ships have "certain" size... Giant.
I fixed it using the Mechjeb of the following form, after selecting the target, the following steps:
1- In Maneuver Planner, apply Hohmann. (99% efficiency)
2- Then apply Mach velocities with target
These two almost solved everything from coplanaring orbits to achieving very good approaches in no time.
It works well with elliptical orbits and disadvantaged planes.
All that remains to be done is to proceed with the manual approach, since the objective, so far, has not stayed any further than 20 km., and can be operated manually with peace of mind. 
I hope it works.

Hey there,

I have an issue that hinders a booster's ability to successfully use "Landing Guidance" for landing a Falcon 9 booster. A lot of my fans are encountering an issue where at the bottom of the landing guidance GUI, there's a string of text that says "ModeSafeDecentSpeedPolicy (True)," while mine says "ModeSafeDecentSpeedPolicy (False)." I was wondering if someone knew how one would go about changing it's value to "false." I tried looking through the Mechjeb files and I'm a bit stumped here. If someone knows, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

SpaceX - KSP (Alex)

PS! I've made a few tutorials on my YouTube channel regarding Mechjeb's Landing Guidance feature. I don't want to self promote, I have plenty of views for my ego haha. However, I thought it would help some people out if they were put at the top of this thread. Thanks again.
RTLS: https://youtu.be/gaD55-YWQpM

Droneship: https://youtu.be/Ca1nGHY5tSQ

I haven't looked deep into this discussion topic because, well, it's 138 pages long, but I have an interesting idea to share.  Much like how Rover autopilot has the basic settings and also waypoints as an extension, I thought this type of waypoint system can be helpful for aircraft.  Points could be saved in 3-dimensional space relative to the surface of a planet, and the settings in the Aircraft Autopilot could be attributed to them.  Like the Rover autopilot, routes could be made, for example, to connect a cargo route from a refinery on Laythe to an equatorial launch site.  Another use could be flight planning with a specific altitude in mind , to avoid mountains and terrain while maintaining efficient flight characteristics.  I don't know much about the internals of MJ, but I find myself using the aircraft autopilot a lot, and this could make it a more efficient tool for planetary operations.

Oh @sarbian, Purveyor of Nyan Cat and King of Cheaters, please accept my humble request. :)

(What can I say, it's early where I am!)

The modules page on the Wiki is a bit out of date. Even modules that have been around for a while are a bit behind. Would it be possible for them to get some TLC? I would offer to do it (and I am happy to help), but I was there specifically because I was looking for more information regarding the functions of the RCS Balancer and SmartRCS, so I am probably not the best idio... candidate to inform others. :D

If it's not in your queue, no worries. MJ works, and Jeb rarely RTFM anyways. :lol:

Thanks for all you do! You keep many a rocket from crashing spectacularly. 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, GKSP said:

I haven't looked deep into this discussion topic because, well, it's 138 pages long, but I have an interesting idea to share.  Much like how Rover autopilot has the basic settings and also waypoints as an extension, I thought this type of waypoint system can be helpful for aircraft.  Points could be saved in 3-dimensional space relative to the surface of a planet, and the settings in the Aircraft Autopilot could be attributed to them.  Like the Rover autopilot, routes could be made, for example, to connect a cargo route from a refinery on Laythe to an equatorial launch site.  Another use could be flight planning with a specific altitude in mind , to avoid mountains and terrain while maintaining efficient flight characteristics.  I don't know much about the internals of MJ, but I find myself using the aircraft autopilot a lot, and this could make it a more efficient tool for planetary operations.

Kramax Autopilot does something like this. I don't know if it would meet your needs, and MechJeb enhancements are always wonderful,  but in the interim you might want to check this out.