[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Question: does the PVG guidance mode take into account the fixed turn rate at the start? There are a lot of idiosyncrasies & oddities that somewhat puzzle me and often cause frustration while designing launch vehicles, and they'd make a bit more sense (though cause no less frustration) if that was the case. For example, I've found that the calculated burn time for the upper stage it gives at the start increases throughout flight, often quite significantly, and coast phases sometimes go into the negatives. Also, doing things like adding boosters can have unpredictable results; I can add boosters, increase payload mass to match the same (or even slightly more) total launch vehicle dV as from before adding the boosters, and it fails to make orbit where before it didn't.
Also, any tips on designing rockets for use with the PVG guidance mode? (I'm on stock system + OPM, since while I've used rescale mods, I've found that they render nearly all calculation tools & dV maps useless.)

Is there a way to turn off the partless aspect of MechJeb2?  By 'partless' I mean the automatic  inclusion of MJ in every command module and probe core and revert back to requiring the actual MJ core part to make it work?  

[edit: I found the file MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg and that looks like the answer.  Has anyone else found that the quickest way to find an answer is to post a question, at which point one figures it before the post is answered in about 5 minutes after posting the question?]

Edited by darthgently

29 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Is there a way to turn off the partless aspect of MechJeb2?  By 'partless' I mean the automatic  inclusion of MJ in every command module and probe core and revert back to requiring the actual MJ core part to make it work?  

[edit: I found the file MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg and that looks like the answer.  Has anyone else found that the quickest way to find an answer is to post a question, at which point one figures it before the post is answered in about 5 minutes after posting the question?]

Since MJ has MM as dependency, it's most likely the best way to go about it. I immediatelly remembered "MechJeb forAll" from the old 1.3.x days.

Re edit: That is totally normal, happens to me often in real life. To ask the question you need to explain the issue (or at the very least phrase it), which makes you look at the problem from different direction. That is usually enough to break you away from going in circles. From there it is easy to get the solution or at least set you on the right track to it.

11 hours ago, ronillon said:

Since MJ has MM as dependency, it's most likely the best way to go about it. I immediatelly remembered "MechJeb forAll" from the old 1.3.x days.

Re edit: That is totally normal, happens to me often in real life. To ask the question you need to explain the issue (or at the very least phrase it), which makes you look at the problem from different direction. That is usually enough to break you away from going in circles. From there it is easy to get the solution or at least set you on the right track to it.

I was not aware that Module Mangler was a dependency. I don't have MM installed, and for me MJ is not automagically added to every command module. I have to add the part.

I am guessing this is because I download the latest Dev version of MJ from Jenkins and install it manually.

11 hours ago, ronillon said:

This is very common and even has a name: rubber duck debugging, or sometimes teddy bear debugging. Google it. You explain your problem to a rubber duck sitting at your desk and by the time you finish explaining it, you realize the answer. Before retirement I used to have a bit of a local reputation for helping people debug their codes. Part of that was actual help, but a goodly fraction was done without me saying a word as I played the part of the rubber duck.

1 hour ago, rmaine said:

This is very common and even has a name: rubber duck debugging, or sometimes teddy bear debugging. Google it. You explain your problem to a rubber duck sitting at your desk and by the time you finish explaining it, you realize the answer. Before retirement I used to have a bit of a local reputation for helping people debug their codes. Part of that was actual help, but a goodly fraction was done without me saying a word as I played the part of the rubber duck.

Back when I coded professionally when younger I had a rubber duck on my desk gifted to me for reasons I'm not sure I could reasonably explain even if I wanted to.  But I never talked to it.  Maybe I'd be making 6 figures by now if I had.  darn

I have a problem or two, As the first time i downloaded mechjeb2 it was off of ckan and i mainly use it for "Landing guidance"  and it worked perfectly until i took a break from ksp, when i logged back into the game the landing guidance wasn't working either crashing into the ground because the landing burn would start too late, landing but being a couple hundred meters away from the target, or being carried away to the drag and completely missing the target as well as crashing into the ground.

I have tried many different version of MechJeb2 as well as Dev releases but non of this seemed to fix my issue, ive also tried deleting all of my mods and redownloading them manually with all their dependencies as well as KSP itself even changing KSP game versions, still though nothing worked. My main reason for getting MechJeb was after watching a video which showcased MechJeb2 being used to land a SpaceX Starship from "Tundra Exploration" mod. In the video i saw, when the landing guidance was activated and set the KSC pad as target,  on the bottom was text saying "ModeSafeDescentSpeedPolicy (False)" but on mine instead of being false it would be true, as well as text on another video by the same guy but using a Falcon 9 stating "ModePoweredCoastDescentSpeedPolicy (False)" but again on my mechjeb it would say (True) instead is their any fix for this? I have been informed that "ModeSafeDescentSpeedPolicy" is given a (True) or (False) if there is enough drag to assist slowing the vehicle down as it descends, but i don't know why my version would state it as (True) if i have the stock Physics.cfg and have not messed with any of the physics in the cheat menu.

Is there any fix for this?

On 4/5/2021 at 4:11 AM, Raindrop said:

I have a problem or two, As the first time i downloaded mechjeb2 it was off of ckan and i mainly use it for "Landing guidance"  and it worked perfectly until i took a break from ksp, when i logged back into the game the landing guidance wasn't working either crashing into the ground because the landing burn would start too late, landing but being a couple hundred meters away from the target, or being carried away to the drag and completely missing the target as well as crashing into the ground.

I have tried many different version of MechJeb2 as well as Dev releases but non of this seemed to fix my issue, ive also tried deleting all of my mods and redownloading them manually with all their dependencies as well as KSP itself even changing KSP game versions, still though nothing worked. My main reason for getting MechJeb was after watching a video which showcased MechJeb2 being used to land a SpaceX Starship from "Tundra Exploration" mod. In the video i saw, when the landing guidance was activated and set the KSC pad as target,  on the bottom was text saying "ModeSafeDescentSpeedPolicy (False)" but on mine instead of being false it would be true, as well as text on another video by the same guy but using a Falcon 9 stating "ModePoweredCoastDescentSpeedPolicy (False)" but again on my mechjeb it would say (True) instead is their any fix for this? I have been informed that "ModeSafeDescentSpeedPolicy" is given a (True) or (False) if there is enough drag to assist slowing the vehicle down as it descends, but i don't know why my version would state it as (True) if i have the stock Physics.cfg and have not messed with any of the physics in the cheat menu.

Hello and Welcome to KSP forum

I'm not sure if I myself will be able to solve your issue, but I will try to guide you so more experienced others can.

First, let me quote from the first post of this thread by the creator of MechJeb, please follow the link in the post regarding logs

On 1/11/2017 at 1:49 PM, sarbian said:

No logs => No support. If you can not find the time to provide the info I need to diagnose your problem do not expect I will find the time to reply to your post.

If you can, try to post a log from a short game session, where all you do is replicate the issue. This will decrease the log size and makes it easier to troubleshoot. (For example, in your case, start the game, load your save, switch to ship you want to land, attempt to land it (multiple times even), end the game, upload the log file.)

Once you upload the log file to some file sharing service, please add the link to your previous post using the EDIT (the three dots in the top right corner of your post) function (so all important information will be together).

Possibly even add commentary relevant to that testing game session. Any additional information might be helpful (although we can read game version and mod versions from the log file, it does not hurt to list them). Even a *.craft file might help in some cases, if there is a need to replicate the issue on solvers end.

Another thing you can do, when you think there is a problem with a particular mod, is to try a clean KSP installation with just that mod. That will make sure the issue is isolated to said mod and not a case of mod vs mod interaction.

This will highly increase the chances of your issue being solved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we have introduction and basic troubleshooting guide done, lets see about your issue.

I'm don't know about the landing issue in general, as I do not use the function at all.

The first thing, that comes to mind is, do you really have the same scenario as the guy in the video you mentioned? Maybe he has some mods you do not have, or you have some mods he does not have? Maybe you have different game/mod settings than he has? Mods can change the flight model completely, making some feats possible/impossible. Is the ship you are trying to land similar enough?

Edited by ronillon
minor edits, typo, grammar, formatting

On 4/4/2021 at 7:11 PM, Raindrop said:

As far as I'm aware, MJ autolanding has been borked for a while due to some sort of unavoidable inaccuracy in where it thinks the target is vs where it actually is. The same sort of issue also occurs with Kerbal Engineer's suicide-burn countdown - it's using a different landing-point height than reality, so it gives inaccurate results.

IF you have "Kerbinside remastered" you may find the contents of my Mechjeb2 LandingSites.cfg useful. As follows.

MechJeb2Landing

Spoiler

{
    // If you want to clean up the default site then you'll need an MM patch
    // !MechJeb2Landing:HAS[#id[MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites]] { }
    id = MechJeb2DefaultLandingSites
    LandingSites
    {    
        Site
        {
            name = KSC Pad
            latitude = -0.09694444
            longitude = -74.5575
            // body = "Kerbin" // if not set defaults to the starting world (Kerbin, Earth for RSS)
        }
        Site
        {
            name = VAB
            latitude = -0.09694444
            longitude = -74.617
        }
        Site
        {
            name = Greater Flats
            latitude =  -4.794139
            longitude = -11.575088
            body = Minmus
        }
        Site
        {
            name = Negan's Place
            latitude = -19.669238
            longitude = 77.936054
            body = Minmus
        }    
    }
    Runways
    {
        Runway    
        {
            name = KSC Runway 09
            body = "Kerbin"
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -0.0485981
                longitude = -74.726413
                altitude = 69
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -0.050185
                longitude = -74.490867
                altitude = 69
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = KSC Runway 27
            body = "Kerbin" // if not set defaults to the starting world (Kerbin, Earth for RSS)
            touchdown = 100.0 // distance in meters from start point
            start
            {
                latitude = -0.050185
                longitude = -74.490867
                altitude = 69
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -0.0485981
                longitude = -74.726413
                altitude = 69
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Island Runway 09
            body = "Kerbin"
            touchdown = 25.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -1.517306
                longitude = -71.965488
                altitude = 132
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -1.515980
                longitude = -71.852408
                altitude = 132
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Island Runway 27
            body = "Kerbin"
            touchdown = 25.0
            end
            {
                latitude = -1.515980
                longitude = -71.852408
                altitude = 132
            }
            start
            {
                latitude = -1.517306
                longitude = -71.965488
                altitude = 132
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Desert Runway 18
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 50.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -6.448288
                longitude = -144.038171
                altitude = 822.05
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -6.599329
                longitude = -144.040598
                altitude = 821.93
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Desert Runway 36
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 50.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -6.599329
                longitude = -144.040598
                altitude = 821.93
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -6.448288
                longitude = -144.038171
                altitude = 822.05            
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Polar Base 34
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 72.492224
                longitude = -78.460336
                altitude = 31.14

}
            end
            {
                latitude = 72.632969
                longitude = -78.658309
                altitude = 31.40
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Meeda Naval 25
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 80.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 37.901625
                longitude = -109.704998
                altitude = 19.89

}
            end
            {
                latitude = 37.837188
                longitude = -109.980065
                altitude = 21.98
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Kojave Sands 04
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 5.961567
                longitude = -142.047399
                altitude = 763.27
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = 6.138200

longitude = -141.909117
                altitude = 764.39
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Nye Island 15
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 60.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 5.811828

longitude = 108.709794
                altitude = 319.92
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = 5.681876
                longitude = 108.788986
                altitude = 320.42
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Kola Island 02
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 60.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -4.268019
                longitude = -72.140195

altitude = 25.52

}
            end
            {
                latitude = -4.051744

longitude = -72.078626
                altitude = 21.73
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = South Field 27
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 80.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -47.009193
                longitude = -140.810092
                altitude = 79.49

}
            end
            {
                latitude = -47.003603
                longitude = -141.143650

altitude = 79.38

}
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Kamberwick Green 09
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 60.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 36.186738
                longitude = 10.461627
                altitude = 619.31
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = 36.176390

longitude = 10.743683
                altitude = 620.36
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Hafco 27
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 0.082492

longitude = 122.472528
                altitude = 31.21
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = 0.082491

longitude = 122.027111
                altitude = 31.62
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Hazard Shallows 23
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 40.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -14.177656
                longitude = 155.301724

altitude = 21.24

}
            end
            {
                latitude = -14.275311

longitude = 155.179979
                altitude = 25.33
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Top Secret 31
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -60.609386
                longitude = 39.379968
                altitude = 1373.95
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -60.460284
                longitude = 39.028858

altitude = 1368.30

}
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Cape Kerman 33
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 24.808818

longitude = -83.567639
                altitude = 74.16
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = 25.006174
                longitude = -83.691446

altitude = 74.35

}
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Dununda 21
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -39.197114
                longitude = 116.303292
                altitude = 455.76
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -39.400965

longitude = 116.173739
                altitude = 454.66

}
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Harvester Airfield 26
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -56.282378

longitude = -10.847084

altitude = 3951.43

}
            end
            {
                latitude = -56.311165

longitude = -11.114847
                altitude = 3953.10

}
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Jeb's Junkyard
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = 6.858681
                longitude = -77.958630

altitude = 758.45
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = 7.046734

longitude = -77.918187
                altitude = 758.66
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Kerman Atol 29
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 100.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -37.112613
                longitude = -70.871525
                altitude = 204.61
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -37.031823
                longitude = -71.135428

altitude = 204.72

}
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Kermundson 16
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 60.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -89.944615
                longitude = 178.486602
                altitude = 32.04
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -89.811808
                longitude = -169.986056
                altitude = 32.79            
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Rnd Rng 28 Steep G S
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 60.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -6.023569
                longitude = 99.620716
                altitude = 1185.75
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -5.975573
                longitude = 99.399385
                altitude = 1186.04            
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = Sandy Island 22
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 60.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -8.097650
                longitude = -42.344969
                altitude = 26.74
            }
            end
            {
                latitude = -8.207007
                longitude = -42.452392
                altitude = 22.04            
            }
        }
        Runway    
        {
            name = South lake 07
            body = Kerbin
            touchdown = 80.0
            start
            {
                latitude = -37.319551
                longitude = 52.425425
                altitude = 69.52

}
            end
            {
                latitude = -37.247489
                longitude = 52.697420
                altitude = 72.45

}
        }
    }

}

Edited by ColdJ
Moved End Bracket inside spoiler.

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Hi @ColdJ. We've put your log inside spoiler tags to make it easier to read the rest of the page. 

Welcome to the forum. :D

Hi, it is not a log, it is a config file. And you left a trailing "}" sign outside the spoiler, which might cause issues when people try to use it.

Don't take it in a bad way, I know you mods have tons of work here, which I appreciate. Just pointing it out and letting you know. Cheers

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Thank you Vanamonde. Still learning.

Thank you for your contribution. I'm playing stock-ish career now, but might use it in the future. Cheers

Edited by ronillon
typo

On 2/23/2021 at 9:03 PM, sarbian said:

The orbit altitude is set in the "Orbit altitude" field of the Ascent Guidance window. The "turn end altitude" is when the vessel stops the turn. The limit is there because there is no point of still turning when in space. The default (60, or the auto checkbox) is perfectly fine.

Thank you for answer

So Ascent Guidance is not compatible with RSS.

10 hours ago, samuelchevalier said:

So Ascent Guidance is not compatible with RSS.

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion from my answer. There is a whole mode in the ascent guidance that was written for RSS.

I'm having issues with Smart A.S.S. It does nothing until I go above 140km, then tries to point towards something I asked it to execute 4 minutes prior. No one else I know has this issue.  Currently running MJ2DEV on version 2.11.0.0-1034 or 35 In 1.10.1 with RSS/RO.  Sorry I can't get the exact version. Log: https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/eWHiCZEH/file.html

10 hours ago, sarbian said:

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion from my answer. There is a whole mode in the ascent guidance that was written for RSS.

Somewhat tangential, but that wiki page seems to be quite out of date; the mode currently has a different name, and the settings panel looks quite different.

9 minutes ago, OdyBN said:

I have an issue with mechjeb where it freezes my game to the point where I can't open the menu, alt+f4, or open task manager to close it. I am using ksp 1.9.1 and mechjeb 2.9.2.0.

Does anyone know a fix?

II realize that 145 pages of this thread is impractical to read through, but I might point you at the very first line of the very first post... the one where it asks for logs. I doubt you have provided enough information for anyone to help.

42 minutes ago, OdyBN said:

I have an issue with mechjeb where it freezes my game to the point where I can't open the menu, alt+f4, or open task manager to close it. I am using ksp 1.9.1 and mechjeb 2.9.2.0.

Does anyone know a fix?

I use 2.11.0.0 and except for the mechjeb dropdown randomly moving itself some times, it appears stable.

Can fix that part by going into Mechjeb2/Plugins/PluginsData/Mechjeb2 and opening up the "mechjeb_settings_global.cfg" and resetting

MechJebModuleMenu
{
    windowStat = HIDDEN
    windowSide = TOP
    windowProgr = 0
    windowVPos = -185
    windowHPos = 266 <----This part to to 266
    columns = 2
    hideButton = False
    useAppLauncher = True
    windowVector = 1356,758,0,0
    windowVectorEditor = 1356,758,0,0
    showInFlight = True
    showInEditor = True
    isOverlay = False
    locked = True
    enabledEditor = True
    enabledFlight = True
}

If you have "MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg" in Mechjeb2/Parts. Rename the suffix to txt and then see how you go. If you want mechjeb in a craft you will just have to add the mechjeb part that looks like a walkie talkie. I have found disabling that config puts far less strain on your system because otherwise Mechjeb creates a separate config file for every craft you have built that has a cockpit. Hope this helps.

43 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I use 2.11.0.0 and except for the mechjeb dropdown randomly moving itself some times, it appears stable.

Can fix that part by going into Mechjeb2/Plugins/PluginsData/Mechjeb2 and opening up the "mechjeb_settings_global.cfg" and resetting

MechJebModuleMenu
{
    windowStat = HIDDEN
    windowSide = TOP
    windowProgr = 0
    windowVPos = -185
    windowHPos = 266 <----This part to to 266
    columns = 2
    hideButton = False
    useAppLauncher = True
    windowVector = 1356,758,0,0
    windowVectorEditor = 1356,758,0,0
    showInFlight = True
    showInEditor = True
    isOverlay = False
    locked = True
    enabledEditor = True
    enabledFlight = True
}

If you have "MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg" in Mechjeb2/Parts. Rename the suffix to txt and then see how you go. If you want mechjeb in a craft you will just have to add the mechjeb part that looks like a walkie talkie. I have found disabling that config puts far less strain on your system because otherwise Mechjeb creates a separate config file for every craft you have built that has a cockpit. Hope this helps.

I seemed to have resolved my issue but will try this if it resurfaces,

Thanks

So I have a stupid problem. Whenever I launch a craft, my Mechjeb windows are mostly closed. Vessel info stays open, but Orbital and Surface windows close themselves. I have to manually open them every single time. I even opened the config file outside the game and made sure to save it with "showInFlight = True" set, and it still doesn't make a damn difference.