[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

1 hour ago, kerbalk said:

Can you Autostage without Deploying Fairings?

There is a checkbox for deploy fairings, uncheck it (same for solar panels and antennae if you don't want them all to deploy). You also need to move the fairing staging to somewhere MJ won't stage through it to get to the next needed engine. I usually put the fairings I want to do manually with the parachutes.

8 hours ago, Idleness said:

Do the auto-staging features in the ascent module not work for you?  They are customizable.

That's not it. They separate the spent stages. And after putting into orbit, when the perapsis formed, the engine turns off. Here is this stage like would bounce automatically. It's not.

Edited by Craze

3 hours ago, kerbalk said:

Also i learned how to dock via MJ, so i'd reccomend it if you can't and wanna learn .

It does a good docking, but not very economical. In manual I spend three times less fuel RCS. He does not understand that the ship is already in front of dockport and if the distance is small, it will first go to a safe distance and then again start decreasing. If the dock is on the other side of the ship, the flyby is not performed on the optimal trajectory.

I use Smart ASS for dock alignment. Everything else handles.

4 hours ago, Craze said:

And after putting into orbit, when the perapsis formed, the engine turns off. Here is this stage like would bounce automatically. It's not.

If the stage has some fuel left, MJ won't autostage it. My launches usually burn the last few m/s to circularization with the upper stage. I certainly would not want MJ to drop a full stage.

Use SmartParts or kRPC, kOS or RedOnion scripting to trigger staging after MJ finishes.

Edited by HansAcker

11 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

If the stage has some fuel left, MJ won't autostage it. My launches usually burn the last few m/s to circularization with the upper stage. I certainly would not want MJ to drop a full stage.

Use SmartParts or kRPC, kOS or RedOnion scripting to trigger staging after MJ finishes.

Yes, losing a full stage would be a shame. That's why I'm asking you to add this optional. SmartStage has no tools for this. There are only scripts, for example kOS. But not everyone knows how and want to use it.
Did not find a detailed manual for MJ scripting module.

11 hours ago, Craze said:

It does a good docking, but not very economical. In manual I spend three times less fuel RCS. He does not understand that the ship is already in front of dockport and if the distance is small, it will first go to a safe distance and then again start decreasing. If the dock is on the other side of the ship, the flyby is not performed on the optimal trajectory.

I use Smart ASS for dock alignment. Everything else handles.

While it is no Economical, who would want that when you don't know how? I agree fully with you, and i'm not trying to argue, however, it's a little like SSTO, Some people can get some to Duna, some people can't get to Orbit. I'd say use all the Fuel you need and have, then learn to use Less.

14 minutes ago, kerbalk said:

While it is no Economical, who would want that when you don't know how? I agree fully with you, and i'm not trying to argue, however, it's a little like SSTO, Some people can get some to Duna, some people can't get to Orbit. I'd say use all the Fuel you need and have, then learn to use Less.

I play RSS so i have Mars ))

And I think MJ is a good way to learn how to Park spaceships.

MJ still takes off and lands better than me.

Edited by Craze

Мне не удалось их подружить, поэтому использую KSP 1.7

I did not manage to make friends with them, so I use KSP 1.7

More precisely Kopernicus does not work

Edited by Craze
Translate to english

On 12/15/2019 at 9:28 PM, Brigadier said:

Kopernicus is version-locked (it won't work with any other version of KSP other than the one it's built for) to prevent undue support issues while they work on upgrading the mod.

I know that. And versions for KSP 1.8.X not yet. Unfortunately on version 1.7 there are difficulties with the scatter and EvE + RSS.

Edited by Craze

I picked this back up recently, but I'm wondering if something's changed- MechJeb calculations with NERVA engines are completely screwed up, and they usually end up in me missing windows by large margins as the DeltaV needed for a maneuver changes, and they go crashing in to a planet. 

Is there anything I can do about this and still be able to use nuclear engines? I find the most fun in the game by arranging the larger scale logistics of my space program, and find manually running burns to be tedious, so I really don't want to have to go back to that :(

I might just be stupid, but for some reason the automated docking doesn't show up anymore. I successfully connected two station parts together using it, but when I loaded up my safe this option doesn't show up anymore. I want to connect a third part to it... Is there something I might have overlooked? Some requirements that need to be fulfilled first? 

On 12/21/2019 at 4:13 PM, lobf said:

I picked this back up recently, but I'm wondering if something's changed- MechJeb calculations with NERVA engines are completely screwed up, and they usually end up in me missing windows by large margins as the DeltaV needed for a maneuver changes, and they go crashing in to a planet. 

Is there anything I can do about this and still be able to use nuclear engines? I find the most fun in the game by arranging the larger scale logistics of my space program, and find manually running burns to be tedious, so I really don't want to have to go back to that :(

No, all MechJeb has ever done is "follow the navball burn indicator" which is a impulsive (infinitely short time) approxmation to the burn that you need to do.

As you go to lower TWR engines, particularly in tight orbits around Kerbin, that approximation starts to fail worse and accurate node execution will suffer.

Use higher TWR engines or launch to somewhat higher orbits.

Even with an accurate, optimal, precision finite burn executor long low TWR burns from low kerbin orbit will tend to crash you into the atmosphere and would need to be broken up.

Might I ask if there's been a change to how Rover Stability Control works in the last few versions?  While driving forward it seems okay, if a little weak, but if a rover is stopped with Stability Control on it seems to dramatically flip out (for lack of a better description).  I suspect that if the velocity is 'backwards' for any reason (reversing, rolling backwards down a slope, rounding error...) it's trying to pull the nose around to comply with the velocity vector by hook or by crook, even if this involves grinding the nose into the ground or scraping off all the solar panels.

It seems much more pronounced on the Mun rather than just outside KSC...

Is there some trick to seeing "Rover Autopilot" in MechJeb? I have the relevant nodes unlocked (e.g. Scanning Tech) and the R&D facility is fully upgraded. See screen below. [SOLVED]

udidw9i.jpg

Edited by x0nkers

6 minutes ago, x0nkers said:

Is there some trick to seeing "Rover Autopilot" in MechJeb? I have the relevant nodes unlocked (e.g. Scanning Tech) and the R&D facility is fully upgraded. See screen below.

There must be something still locked or the 'some modules are disabled' notice wouldn't be there... Just looking a random part file -

MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }

...assuming that exists in the tech tree?

1 hour ago, ChrisF0001 said:

There must be something still locked or the 'some modules are disabled' notice wouldn't be there...

It was a mod that changed the tech tree, making field science unavailable. Now fixed - thanks!

I've recently been quite consistently getting lots of "an error occurred while creating the node" messages. Typically I'll launch into a holding circular orbit slightly above 250 km and then try to do a change apoapsis to some higher one at a fixed time of 0, getting that error. If I "manually" burn a bit to raise my apoapsis part way, I can then usually get mechjeb to do the rest. This is happening a *LOT* recently. Below is a link to a Player.log in dropbox. Billions (well almost) of messages about object references not being set to an instance of the object make it hard for me to make much sense of the log file, but near the end (I quite right after getting the error) is something about Brent's rootfinding method having a guess that does no bracket the root. I'm guessing that's related.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pb9kno0g22b75o/Player.log?dl=0

I did recently add in some mods that I hadn't been using before (progressive colonization system and several things it depends on or recommends), so one might be suspicious of a bad interaction with them. It's not obvious to me how they would cause that particular sort of error, but things aren't required to be obvious to me. All the mods except for KSP rescue Pod fix claim to be compatible with KSP 1.8.1 per CKAN, and other users report the rescue pod fix to be ok. KSP 1.8.1 on 64-bit WIndows 10 with mods (Per CKAN)

Kerbal Stats 3.1.0, KSP Rescue Pod Fix 1.6.4.14, MechJeb 2 dev release 2.9.1.0-928, Missing History 1.8.1. MOdule Manager 4.1.3, Near Future IVA Props 0.6.1, Precise Maneuver 2.4.4, Progressive Colonization System 2.1.0, Science Alert ReAlerted 1.9.8.6, Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux 1.3.1, Toolbar Controller 0.1.9.4, and TriggerAu Flags 2.9.3.0

Oh yes, and I have Making History, but not Breaking Ground.

17 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Got this error recently too a couple of times when trying to create a node to raise the Ap from a circular LKO.

22 hours ago, rmaine said:

I've recently been quite consistently getting lots of "an error occurred while creating the node" messages. Typically I'll launch into a holding circular orbit slightly above 250 km and then try to do a change apoapsis to some higher one at a fixed time of 0, getting that error. If I "manually" burn a bit to raise my apoapsis part way, I can then usually get mechjeb to do the rest. This is happening a *LOT* recently. Below is a link to a Player.log in dropbox. Billions (well almost) of messages about object references not being set to an instance of the object make it hard for me to make much sense of the log file, but near the end (I quite right after getting the error) is something about Brent's rootfinding method having a guess that does no bracket the root. I'm guessing that's related.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pb9kno0g22b75o/Player.log?dl=0

I did recently add in some mods that I hadn't been using before (progressive colonization system and several things it depends on or recommends), so one might be suspicious of a bad interaction with them. It's not obvious to me how they would cause that particular sort of error, but things aren't required to be obvious to me. All the mods except for KSP rescue Pod fix claim to be compatible with KSP 1.8.1 per CKAN, and other users report the rescue pod fix to be ok. KSP 1.8.1 on 64-bit WIndows 10 with mods (Per CKAN)

Kerbal Stats 3.1.0, KSP Rescue Pod Fix 1.6.4.14, MechJeb 2 dev release 2.9.1.0-928, Missing History 1.8.1. MOdule Manager 4.1.3, Near Future IVA Props 0.6.1, Precise Maneuver 2.4.4, Progressive Colonization System 2.1.0, Science Alert ReAlerted 1.9.8.6, Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux 1.3.1, Toolbar Controller 0.1.9.4, and TriggerAu Flags 2.9.3.0

Oh yes, and I have Making History, but not Breaking Ground.

I had the same issue using the DEV version. Switched to latest stable release and the problem is gone.

3 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

I had the same issue using the DEV version. Switched to latest stable release and the problem is gone.

Prompted by that note, I took a quick glance at the descriptions of recent changes in the DEV version. Noticed that Brent's method was added in the DEV version on 1 Jan. Yep - that seems pretty clearly related to the log file message I mentioned above. I think I'll stick with the DEV version for now as this error is just in the category of minor annoyance for me at the moment. If the annoyance level gets high enough, I'll consider backing off to the stable version for a while. Thanks for the observation about that.

5 hours ago, rmaine said:

I think I'll stick with the DEV version for now as this error is just in the category of minor annoyance for me at the moment. If the annoyance level gets high enough, I'll consider backing off to the stable version for a while.

I'm on the same page here with you, @rmaine