[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Hello, my game crashes systematicaly at the end of a rendez-vous autopilot with a element to catch (regular mission around kerbin in carrier). This is a full client crash with the Windows popup waiting for it to respond.

The first log is the default log file of the KSP folder, which is incomplete because of the game crash. The second one comes from the appdata folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRVluCCPjMc9QhwcW-BNBWNb_HWdRNvK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12mw8PyJy1g5TCEWcfPD9BBUwvz56au7v/view?usp=sharing

Please tell me if you need more information. I can finish my rendez-vous with manual maneuvers so there is no emergency for me. Game 1.10.1.2939 and mechjeb 2.10.0.0

I already got this crash in the past, before the 1.10, but never tried to reproduce it.

Edited by Azzurvif

On 7/29/2020 at 12:40 PM, mintme said:

Issue with rover autopilot the traction percentage drops to 17% (I have 6 wheels) and won’t change at all it’s on a rover that use to work perfectly on Duna.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/25808

Wheels in 1.10 don't reliably report GroundContact unless forced down hard enough. I use a custom modified MJ that checks isGrounded instead and it seems to work. I'll test it some more and maybe open a pull request.

4 hours ago, joly said:

pls update it for v1.10.1 , it doesnt show SAS things when you use it manually (in v1.10.1)
otherwise works fine

You will have to explain it better than this. Everything works here.

6 hours ago, Azzurvif said:

The first log is the default log file of the KSP folder, which is incomplete because of the game crash. The second one comes from the appdata folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRVluCCPjMc9QhwcW-BNBWNb_HWdRNvK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12mw8PyJy1g5TCEWcfPD9BBUwvz56au7v/view?usp=sharing

You need to share with a public link. Those links are private

20 hours ago, Azzurvif said:

My bad.  Links are now public

Can you explain a bit more what you where trying to intercept and from what orbit ? From the error I guess you used the RendezVous Autopilot to intercept a comet ?

Edit: share the save if you can. I see where the error is but I do not understand how it can happen.

Edited by sarbian

22 hours ago, Azzurvif said:

My bad.  Links are now public

Can you try this build and tell me if it helps. If it does help please look into the log for a line with "Unable to find an intercept with closingTime="  and post it here so I can be sure about the problem origin

Hrm, I'm at 1.9.1 and running the latest release of mechjeb. When I click Landing Guidance at the mun, have a target etc, nothing happens. When I do that at Kerbin, something does seem to happen. I am not quite sure what the bug is or how to document it, so any advice would be appreciated.

I see. I'm asking because, my rocket has reaction wheels but not RCS, but mechjeb will not circularize. It'll go as far as make the maneuver node, but it won't traverse to point towards it to do the circularization burn

3 hours ago, AnFa said:

I see. I'm asking because, my rocket has reaction wheels but not RCS, but mechjeb will not circularize. It'll go as far as make the maneuver node, but it won't traverse to point towards it to do the circularization burn

You may not have enough reaction wheels, or enough electrical power to keep 'em spinning.

Hello I have a idea for a extra function in mechjeb. It would be a automatic hop, for example you could set your target and then set your height and then it would take off and fly to the target and land. I think i would be helpful if you wanted to move from biomes on planets or do a hop test if you like to simulate that type of stuff which i do. if you could respond to this please do. Thank you

Sincerely,  Brady

On 8/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, sarbian said:

Can you try this build and tell me if it helps. If it does help please look into the log for a line with "Unable to find an intercept with closingTime="  and post it here so I can be sure about the problem origin

Hello it does help. I made a few tests, the crash happens when the max closing speed is set to 0. Here is the log you're looking for 

"[MechJeb2] Unable to find an intercept with closingTime=Infinity closingSpeed=0 Distance=23.08466 UT=23731379.0531313"

I think I set it to 0 because it was infinitely planning a maneuver to reach 0.0m/s. It was always 0.1m/s. The mod seems to fail to proprely rotate in time when the rcs wheels are too powerful. TBH I don't really know what means that "max closing speed". Is it a max speed when getting close to the target or is it a defined speed to have when the target is reached at the specific distance ? Anyway, whatever the value is, the crash has to be prevented !

I noticed the french localization in your build, I'll fix a few mistakes and I'll try to make it clearer. Edit : here is the file

Edit 2 : I forgot something important : thank you vm for taking time for my issue ; )

Edited by Azzurvif

10 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

You may not have enough reaction wheels, or enough electrical power to keep 'em spinning.

Neither is true, honestly, because I can manually turn my rocket. VERY SLOWLY, but I can, so I dunno why MJ can't

Edited by AnFa

1 minute ago, DerekL1963 said:

Try adding more reaction wheels then.

Already did.

d0fa3e2.jpg

This is my rocket. As you can see, there are three large reaction wheels. One right below the fairing, one right before the second stage, and another right above the triple stack at the bottom. Are these seriously not enough for MJ? Also, here are my configurations for the ascent guidance:

xBB1sB3.jpeg

Is there anything wrong with them?

2 minutes ago, AnFa said:

This is my rocket. As you can see, there are three large reaction wheels. One right below the fairing, one right before the second stage, and another right above the triple stack at the bottom. Are these seriously not enough for MJ?

It doesn't matter how many there are at launch, what matters is how many there are when you're trying to circularize.  How many are there are circularization, and are you certain you have enough power?  (Open the resources tab and double check.)

6 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

It doesn't matter how many there are at launch, what matters is how many there are when you're trying to circularize.  How many are there are circularization, and are you certain you have enough power?  (Open the resources tab and double check.)

All of those three are there when the circularization begins. And yes, I do have enough power. If I didn't, I couldn't turn my rocket on my own, plus the engines at the bottom also recharge my electricity. This is the state I'm in when circularization should begin, but MJ won't point my rocket to the maneuver node.

8HW4QSc.jpeg

Here's something else. When I disable autopilot to point my rocket to circularize, then drop the lower stage, MJ has no problem using the wheel right below the fairing, so I have no clue why he isn't using them BEFORE.

Edited by AnFa

1 hour ago, AnFa said:

Neither is true, honestly, because I can manually turn my rocket. VERY SLOWLY, but I can, so I dunno why MJ can't

Then you don't have enough.  MJ only uses a portion of the reaction wheels, so if it's barely enough for a manual turn it's not enough for an MJ turn.

Given that ship design, I'd do one of three things:

1. Drop the booster stages before circulization.  (No need to leave debris in orbit anyway.)

2. Add vernor thrusters/RCS to the booster stage.  Might as well use that fuel.

3. Add more reaction wheels to the center of mass during ciriculization.

That's my rough order of precedence as well.

3 hours ago, BradyRC said:

Hello I have a idea for a extra function in mechjeb. It would be a automatic hop, for example you could set your target and then set your height and then it would take off and fly to the target and land. I think i would be helpful if you wanted to move from biomes on planets or do a hop test if you like to simulate that type of stuff which i do. if you could respond to this please do. Thank you

If you're just looking for this function - TCA has a couple of variants of it, depending on exactly how far you need to go.

42 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Then you don't have enough.  MJ only uses a portion of the reaction wheels, so if it's barely enough for a manual turn it's not enough for an MJ turn.

Given that ship design, I'd do one of three things:

1. Drop the booster stages before circulization.  (No need to leave debris in orbit anyway.)

2. Add vernor thrusters/RCS to the booster stage.  Might as well use that fuel.

3. Add more reaction wheels to the center of mass during ciriculization.

That's my rough order of precedence as well.

If you're just looking for this function - TCA has a couple of variants of it, depending on exactly how far you need to go.

I already did number 3. Is there a way to increase how much MJ uses out of my wheels?

10 minutes ago, AnFa said:

I already did number 3. Is there a way to increase how much MJ uses out of my wheels?

Open the attitude controller window and change the max stop time to a larger value. Like 10 or 20

4 hours ago, BradyRC said:

Sincerely,  Brady

It something I considered in the past but I never wrote it. Not too complex to code but hardly easy either.

2 hours ago, Azzurvif said:

I noticed the french localization in your build, I'll fix a few mistakes and I'll try to make it clearer. Edit : here is the file

Merci. Ajouté

2 hours ago, Azzurvif said:

I made a few tests, the crash happens when the max closing speed is set to 0

I ll add something to prevent error when it is set to 0. It is the speed limit for the final approach so 0 does not make sense