[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but, at least with FAR, the BetterController seems to have trouble handling descending rocket stages (F9-style). It winds up wobbling all over the place once it hits thick atmosphere. Hybrid controller handles it fine.

Anyone else getting really stupid interplanetary transfers with the advanced transfer function? A simple Kerbin to Eve transfer requiring <2500m/s total delta-V and MJ decides to do the transfer burn either entirely radial in (crashing into Kerbin in the process), entirely retrograde (5.7km/s retrograde burn!?) or else it decides to just crash into Kerbin and not even bother going to Eve.

I've had similarly bizarre nodes plotted by MJ advanced transfer maneuver planner before e.g. from Eeloo to Dres it again tried to go retrograde, with other vessels which also had high part counts.

KSP 1.11.2, stock Kerbol system, MechJeb 2.12 (the mod list below says 2.11 but that's because I've rolled back a version to see if that has an effect), I have ~50 mods installed but nothing that I can think of that would be causing this behaviour. It's a fairly high part count ship (~700 or so parts) which might be having an effect?

Logs and mod list:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdrqo288ye0clby/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtk35ndf0xdoc8n/Mod list.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8src2rn66bznabz/Player.log?dl=0

1 hour ago, Raqnick said:

Auto docking so bad

It can depend very much on the design of your craft. I have craft that MechJeb has trouble with and others where it makes it a breeze to dock.

10 hours ago, ColdJ said:

It can depend very much on the design of your craft. I have craft that MechJeb has trouble with and others where it makes it a breeze to dock.

Problems with Shuttle,but I never had such a problem

Is there a workaround for the situation where MJ, after aborting a launch or landing, keeps turning warp back on?  Going to the Tracking Center and back works but I'm wondering if there is a setting or simple sequence of steps that will deal with it in the flight screen without the need to cycle through the Tracking Center.  I've tried powering down all MJ modules, even on nearby craft.   This happens so rarely that I'm not even sure how I'd report it as a bug.  It might happen for maneuvers also but I can't recall it doing so; I've encountered it on landings and launches with autowarp on for sure.  I don't use MJ much for maneuvers and only occasionally for landings and launches so don't really have a handle on when this happens.  One can disengage the MJ autopilot, close/open/close all MJ windows, turn off/on/off autowarp, depower any and all MJ modules, manually cancel warp all you want, but once this happens, it just keeps jacking up the warp until leaving and returning to the scene

I use CKAN MJ 2 - DEV Release and I often update it.
But today wanting to update it from Build #1077 to Build #1080 and
reading the last change log: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/1080/
I see a red dot instead of the blue one and hovering the mouse on it, a box appear reciting "Failed - Console Output",
instead of "Success - Console Output".
What does it means?

24 minutes ago, EndAllFilms said:

Well for me it doesn't do boostback burn im on the latest version

You could use the mod Booster Guidance if you need that. Mechjeb really shines at landing 2nd stage reusables and I'm amazed how much better the mod is at handling that. If you want to use mechjeb for a boost back, do the burn yourself, then hit land anywhere once your rocket straightens out and you're over the top of the target. Mechjeb will do the hoverslam for you and set it down nicely on the ground. Or once the booster decouples, manually get the rocket to retrograde, turn on the KSP landing pad, wait for it to boost back, shut the autopilot off, go back to retrograde and then reactivate the mod once you're over the target.

Edited by reducing

15 hours ago, antipro said:

I see a red dot instead of the blue one and hovering the mouse on it, a box appear reciting "Failed - Console Output",
instead of "Success - Console Output".
What does it means?

It means the build had an error and did not finish. Lamont made some large code change that requires a new DLL and since we are on different time zone I made the change the day after.

Could use some clarification of "Launch to Rendezvous": I can usually get MJ to rendezvous with a well-placed module in a mostly-circular orbit from e.g KSC with 1-2 practice launches, but as the orbits get more complex, I suspect I'm using the tool wrong.

In particular, the TARG button confuses me: when it's greyed out, the alt/inclination are hidden, but it still seems to use the values in them. When it's green, which elsewhere seems to mean "this is in effect" it shows those values and still uses them as overrides.

This is my SOP after the vehicle is eased onto the pad,

• open ascent guidance,
  • open map,
  • right-click target -> set as target,
  • close map,
  • click 'launch to rendezvous',
  • click 'engage autopilot',
  • open 'utility',
  • enable autostage,
  • wait for vehicle to disengage autopilot,
  • revert to launch (end of practice launch),
  • repeat

My questions are:

- What DOES the target ("TARG") button do? (just show/hide fields?)
- Are there magic values for alt/inclination to tell mj "you figure it out"?
- Does manually changing the "launch to rendezvous" angle prevent learning?

Edited by kfsone

19 hours ago, Kampfsanni said:

As far as i can see Module Manager and  MechJeb 2 DEV RELEASE 1082 seems to be working fine with KSP 1.12.

The warning at  the start that MechJeb is made for an older version of KSP,  can be ignored. :)

The advanced transfer to another planet crashes the game every time.

Edited by InfoJunkie

Hey :)

Anyone know what the deal with fairings is?

I have one craft with an interstage fairing that deploys when it should through staging (includes a decoupler on that same stage) and another craft where no matter what I add to that particular stage, MJ refuses to autostage it, treating it like its a payload fairing and waiting until correct atm. pressure etc.

Any ideas why one interstage works and another does not?

Hello @MeatyBoi, while it's not against the rules to as for an update, so long as it is polite and non-repetitive, please remember that the great community that creates this free content for the game also have real life pressures and responsibilities so it's best to be patient while we wait for our favourite mods to update.

18 hours ago, sarbian said:

2021 second semester.

This made me laugh, especially when you look at the fact this is starting in three days :P. So the launch window starting in 3 days will end in 6 months. Gives a bit of leeway :P

Edited by FrancoisH

1 hour ago, FrancoisH said:

This made me laugh, especially when you look at the fact this is starting in three days :P. So the launch window starting in 3 days will end in 6 months. Gives a bit of leeway :P

And don't tell the students about the dev build. :-) I suppose there's some merit to that, as students who can't find it probably shouldn't be using it. Oops, blew that as Sarbian has a link to it in his sig in addition to the one on the first page.