[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

On 8/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, antipro said:

I don't know what does it means, maybe I have accidentally touched something.
Can I do something to avoid that message every time I paste a text?

No, it s on our and. Can you create an issue on github so we do not forget about it ?

We have a new official release out : MechJeb2-2.12.1.0.zip

I'll write a proper list of changes later but you can have a look at the commit list

ksp 1.12.2 JNSQ mechjeb have a problem. Maybe related to the problem of precise-maneuver

main MJ GUI opened on the left side of screen, and all secondary GUI, (also settings) are not opened up

ksp.log https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-h3ODmQrE3qjmxBwi (74Mb, PreciseManeuver log spam)

[LOG 00:34:36.368] [MechJeb2] Loading Mechjeb 2.12.1
[ERR 00:34:36.379] MechJeb caught a ReflectionTypeLoadException. Those DLL are not built for this KSP version:

[ERR 00:34:36.381] Kronometer 1.0.0.0 GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Plugins\Kronometer\Plugins\Kronometer.dll

Question for the more experienced users here...

I'm building an ISS replica, and I've been trying to use MechJeb to maintain orientation. However, once it gets close to the target orientation (Usually prograde, 0* roll), it'll go into a feedback loop and start whipping the station up and down along the pitch axis, imparting increasingly large bending loads. It's gotten progressively worse as I've been adding modules, and after adding the Destiny module, it's getting bad enough I'm worried it'll snap connections, even with Autostrut to Grandparent enabled on everything.

Adding to my confusion, using the stock SAS in prograde doesn't initiate this bending action. (It does initiate a roll oscillation, but that's a different problem. entirely :rolleyes:)

Has anyone encountered this before? And if so, how did you combat it? 

24 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Question for the more experienced users here...

I'm building an ISS replica, and I've been trying to use MechJeb to maintain orientation. However, once it gets close to the target orientation (Usually prograde, 0* roll), it'll go into a feedback loop and start whipping the station up and down along the pitch axis, imparting increasingly large bending loads. It's gotten progressively worse as I've been adding modules, and after adding the Destiny module, it's getting bad enough I'm worried it'll snap connections, even with Autostrut to Grandparent enabled on everything.

Adding to my confusion, using the stock SAS in prograde doesn't initiate this bending action. (It does initiate a roll oscillation, but that's a different problem. entirely :rolleyes:)

Has anyone encountered this before? And if so, how did you combat it? 

First, most KSP stations end up best oriented normal or anti-normal because that direction doesn't change throughout the orbit.  You can always control from a docking port that you want pointed norma/antinormal so the station as a whole is oriented mostly the way you want.

Second, I don't use MJ for things like this, I use kOS, but MJ can do it.  It sounds like you could use a lot less control authority.  Maintaining orientation doesn't take much authority, but you may have to be patient for it to get there, like several minutes.  You certainly don't want your RCS in course mode, but in fine mode instead (not sure if MJ overrides that, but kOS devs say it would be hard or impossible to override so am assuming MJ is under same constriction).  Course and fine are controlled by the caps-lock key.

Third, there may be a way to tweak the RCS thrustlimits and torque PIDs for MJ but I've never dug down that far.  But you can certainly adjust the thrustlimits for thrusters via their KSP r-click Part Action Windows (PAW).

2 minutes ago, darthgently said:

First, most KSP stations end up best oriented normal or anti-normal because that direction doesn't change throughout the orbit.  You can always control from a docking port that you want pointed norma/antinormal so the station as a whole is oriented mostly the way you want.

Second, I don't use MJ for things like this, I use kOS, but MJ can do it.  It sounds like you could use a lot less control authority.  Maintaining orientation doesn't take much authority, but you may have to be patient for it to get there, like several minutes.  You certainly don't want your RCS in course mode, but in fine mode instead (not sure if MJ overrides that, but kOS devs say it would be hard or impossible to override so am assuming MJ is under same constriction).  Course and fine are controlled by the caps-lock key.

Third, there may be a way to tweak the RCS thrustlimits and torque PIDs for MJ but I've never dug down that far.  But you can certainly adjust the thrustlimits for thrusters via their KSP r-click Part Action Windows (PAW).

The Normal/Antinormal orientation might be worth a try, see how well MJ handles it. Definitely would give me another data set to work off of.

I've shut off all but one really throttled back reaction wheel, and it still seems to start the whipping action. I don't use RCS aside from the docking phase, and actually use KIS to remove any RCS thruster blocks after it's emplaced.

The Torque PIDs is really what I was hoping to tinker with. Make it less... twitchy... in that particular situation. Failing that, I might just have to go for the kOS, which I've never really tinkered with.

OK, so I don't know what I did or if I even did anything, but for some reason I can't seem to get MechJeb to show up on my screen except for a useless little bit.

I'm running MechJeb 2.12.1, and I have the latest ModuleManager etc.

Let me explain what it's doing.

The UI (when I press the stock toolbar MJ button) is somehow in the upper-left hand corner of the screen (not where it defaulted to in the past, nor where I would put it if given a choice), and when I click a button in that UI to make a window show up, all the windows start with only their bottom-right corner even on the screen at all, making it extremely hard to grab those windows and bring them on screen. Worse still, when I do grab those windows, they flee back into the corner they came from as soon as I let go of the mouse button I'm holding down to drag them around (they also flee if I stop moving the mouse).

The issue is that I can't get ANY of the dang windows to stay on screen for more than a fraction of a second, not remotely long enough to even try to interact with any of them, it's on the screen where I want it for probably a single frame or maybe two after I stop dragging the window around, after that it teleports directly back to the upper-left-hand of the screen, mostly OFF the screen, rendering it effectively useless. I've used MechJeb since KSP 0.15.something I think, and I've never had an issue like this before.

Additionally, and potentially relatedly, I looked in MechJeb's Plugins folder, because I wanted to copy in my custom window configs from a previous version (usually works, and if it doesn't I'd just uninstall and reinstall MechJeb to get rid of whatever went wrong). This was AFTER starting up KSP with MechJeb installed, in GameData, right where it always goes (I always manually install my mods, no CKAN weirdness here!).

I looked, but I did not find. I saw only the usual MechJeb2.DLL, and a new DLL "System.Buffers.DLL" I have no idea what that new one does, so I didn't touch it. No additional "PluginData" directory like I'm used to. Either way, I can't see a way for MechJeb to store the configs it uses to save things like things related to a specific vessel, or custom window configs, but going thru the hassle of setting up all my custom info windows again isn't that big of a deal-breaker to me.

7 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

The Torque PIDs is really what I was hoping to tinker with. Make it less... twitchy... in that particular situation. Failing that, I might just have to go for the kOS, which I've never really tinkered with.

This is what I was vaguely recalling, the MJ PID settings.  So if you are basically getting overshoot, or seeking behavior, you could try decreasing the I term, and perhaps the D term.  I think I'd make a note of the MJ stock values, then try it with just a K term.  Increase it until you get oscillation, the back it off until that oscillation goes away.  Then, if it asymptotes (never quite arrives at target vector) add in I term in small doses until it locks on.  Then if it is overshooting and having to wander back, maybe add in small doses of D term until it smooths out

When I launch a rocket in Primer Vector Guidance (RSS/RO) mode, mechjeb will show the red word Optimizer watchdog timeout, and then my rocket cannot reach the predetermined orbit and re-enter the atmosphere.What should I do?

Update on my "all the windows are in the top left for some reason" issue I'm still having.
Apparently, MechJeb isn't totally dead, as when I use the action groups commands on a pod to enable things like the landing or ascent autopilots, it acts like I'd expect, the only downside is that I can't get at the relevant windows to input my own values. So the issue isn't just "MechJeb is generically broken with some weird symptoms", it's specifically related to the UI all getting shoved into the top-left corner and as soon as I let go of a window that I've taken 10 tries to even get a hold of, it teleports right back where it was.

It's almost like the code that prevents you from being able to drag windows off-screen has bad data for where the screen is supposed to be or something.

I only have one monitor, granted that it is a 43 inch 4k monitor mounted to my wall and connected to my computer via a DisplayPort cable, but for playing KSP I set the display resolution to 1920x1080 so that the maneuver node widget and things like that aren't so tiny I can't read them (running at 4k resolution and putting UI scale to 200% didn't help that, so I just reverted to 1080p and 100% UI scale).

The last time something like this bug happened, it was in 2017, and there's evidence for it in this very thread. Back then at least you could get at the windows, but this time only the tiniest lower-right corner of the windows are in the tiniest corner of the upper-left corner of the screen, meaning 99% of the window is OFF-screen.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've reinstalled MechJeb several times, no changes to the issue. Next step I'm going to take is start removing other mods.

EDIT 2:

I fixed it! Turns out I had a horribly outdated mod (this one) that had a plugin in it that was messing everything up:

I got confused because I thought 1.9 was the mod's version number, not the version of KSP it was compatible with!

Might be time for me to get a new pair of glasses :confused:

Edited by SciMan

EDIT:
That was not a miniAVC issue, that plugin does not exist in my install to my knowledge (I even looked at the plugins in that mod, and MiniAVC was not one of them, the only plugin in there was one related to the BD22 cockpit, which I don't use, so I removed the plugin and the part files I wasn't using and MechJeb started acting "more" normally).

Original Post:
OK so I managed to solve my problems, and then I spent ~5hrs playing KSP. I managed to find another bug (not sure if it's been reported already, but I did read the last few pages of the topic looking for anything).

Every time I change scene or vessel, MechJeb acts like it got "factory reset". What I mean is that all the window positions get reset, and it forgets all my custom info window settings, and it forgets that it had any of the non-custom windows open. Other than that major annoyance, the various autopilots themselves seem to be working quite well.

Well, I'd say the autopilots were working well, except that the default attitude controller seems to have a shimmy in it that builds up over time when any attitude control mode is in use, until the vessel is flexing significantly in the middle (and the pointers for pitch yaw and roll are oscillating quite a lot). I make sure I always set all the auto-struts to "grandparent part" to help reinforce it, which is usually more than enough to take the wobble out of 99% of rockets without even using struts, it even handles ordinary operation including "landing a little harder than intended" sometimes.
Switched to Hybrid Controller and that seems to have gone away, so that's how I fixed that for myself, but that's just a workaround until it's actually fixed.

Edited by SciMan

Something in JNSQ is breaking Mechjeb in 1.12.x. I have tested this in both 1.12.1 and 1.12.2, limited to just JNSQ and its bare minimum requirements of Kopernicus (& ModularFlightIntegrator) and ModuleManager, as well as MechJeb itself. The issue is that many Mechjeb windows are completely missing on all vessels even in sandbox mode, and the settings window is entirely broken. I have reported this to the JNSQ devs as well, as I suspect the problem is more likely to be on their end since the issue also occurs with at least one MechJeb version that worked fine with JNSQ in my 1.11 game folder.

I am unable to post the full log; it is almost twice the size that Pastebin allows to post for free, and attempting to split it into multiple parts revealed what I can only assume to be a strange error in that website's code because it thinks that the log file contains questionable or offensive content for some inexplicable reason. I do, however, have a section which looks like it probably contains relevant information about the error: https://pastebin.com/CD2yGXEH

Other relevant information from the game load that generated this log:

• KSP version: 1.12.2
  • ModuleManager version: 4.2.1
  • JNSQ version: 0.9.0.0
  • Kopernicus version: 1.12.1.59 (the error also occurrs with a slightly older 1.12 version of Kopernicus in KSP 1.12.1, so the slight game version difference here can be ruled out as the source of the problem)
  • Mechjeb version: 2.12.1.0 (I have also tested a few other versions of Mechjeb; all of them produce this error when combined with JNSQ)
  • ModularFlightIntegrator version is unknown as I cannot find a version file, but it is the version that is bundled with Kopernicus version 1.12.1.59

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the settings dialog box is completely broken (just a tiny little box in the upper left hand corner that has no visible contents except maybe some radio buttons that I can't even click on) with JUST MechJeb (EDIT: And ModuleManager, latest version of both) installed.

I did the "just MechJeb installed" thing as part of my process to figure out if my "the windows are teleporting to the upper-left corner" bug was MechJeb or some plugin causing problems.

Edited by SciMan

hi, if possible I would kindly request a new feature.

Initial condition: equatorial 120km LKO, example target: Moho.
Now wanting to use an Eve swing-by, it would be useful to have a tool similar to the "Advanced Transfer" but
that allows me to choose a specific orbital point where to encounter Eve, for example the Eve-Moho's orbital planes's crossing point.
So that I can use Eve in order to match the two orbital planes as well as reduce the Pe.

sorry if this has already been requested.

edit: I would also like to have in the "fine tune closest approach to target" feature,
an option that allows me to select the orbital inclination or at least to be able to choose to arrive in a polar orbit instead of an equatorial one.

Edited by antipro

@sarbianSo there's an issue where the MechJeb tab is stuck in the far left hand corner of the screen and any other menu don't show up when opened. Previously MechJeb would save where I placed the menus on the screen and the values I inputted. Like ascent guidance would always load in the top right, as PVG, and with the orbit values I used last but this doesn't happen anymore.

Edited by SpaceFace545

The latest CKAN version had issues with my game.  Unfortunately I accidentally kicked off my game start script which wiped out the log but I recall the many mechjeb messages on the loading screen were related to not being able to find a part or a module.  Once in game, even with mechjeb parts powered up, the maneuver planner window would not open.  I rolled back to previous MJ version and a backup of my game and all was ok.  I'm on 1.11.2/linux.  Sorry not much detail, but it happened when I had a narrow window to play within

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Yeah, I broke Linux. Sorry about that. I will fix it after work

Edit : Dev has the fix : MechJeb2-2.12.2.0-1098.zip

I ll do the release after work

My game is rolling fine, I mostly use kOS.  But I have a bad habit of working on my active scripts without making a backup so fall back to mechjeb when I get a syntax error or something but need to do something now, lol