[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Good day all.

Had an error with dev 730.  A small ship just past Minmus SOI and I wanted to match planes with another ship already in orbit.  I selected the other ship as target, saw the AN node and selected that in MJ.  It said that there was an error in creating the node.  The error was:

[EXC 09:14:48.186] ArgumentException: OrbitExtensions.GetEccentricAnomalyAtTrueAnomaly: True anomaly of 2.34525036043009 radians is not attained by orbit with eccentricity 2.4625762950881
    MuMech.OrbitExtensions.GetEccentricAnomalyAtTrueAnomaly (.Orbit o, Double trueAnomaly)
    MuMech.OrbitExtensions.TimeOfTrueAnomaly (.Orbit o, Double trueAnomaly, Double UT)
    MuMech.OrbitExtensions.TimeOfDescendingNode (.Orbit a, .Orbit b, Double UT)
    MuMech.OrbitalManeuverCalculator.DeltaVAndTimeToMatchPlanesDescending (.Orbit o, .Orbit target, Double UT, System.Double& burnUT)
    MuMech.OperationPlane.MakeNodeImpl (.Orbit o, Double universalTime, MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController target)
    MuMech.Operation.MakeNode (.Orbit o, Double universalTime, MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController target)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    MuMech.Operation:MakeNode(Orbit, Double, MechJebModuleTargetController)
    MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner:WindowGUI(Int32)
    MuMech.DisplayModule:ProfiledWindowGUI(Int32)
    UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)
[LOG 09:14:56.484] Maneuver Mode enabled
[LOG 09:14:57.967] Maneuver Mode disabled

There was nothing special about the attitude at the time.  PE was about 130km. Was still in a escape trajectory because the AN was before the PE, so I did not circularize yet. Inc. was about 6 degrees relative to the target. 

Logs are here

Thanks

#728:

Cleanup autostage logic, add launch clamp staging

On the one hand this is a neat addition, on the other hand it's not.

It depends the situation:

"Have engines to throttle up like in KW rocketry or in RO?"

It would be great if MJ could either recognize if the engines are fully throttled up before staging the launch clamps or have a setting toggle button in the Ascent Guidance UI.

Hi, I also had the RCS issue (overshooting and oscillating) in some medium to heavy vessels, it's not clear from the forums if the issue has been found.

I tried to troubleshoot and found that the speed limit parameter seems to be ignored, especially in the stages prior to final approach from starting distance.  I had a medium size craft use DA from a bad angle, which required it to move the craft laterally at least 80 m to get in into position. It was moving over 2m/s relative to target, even though I had a .7 m/s limit. It could not line up because it was moving too fast.  I did some things to kill the lateral speed with the main engine in other tests, and it seemed to work fine from there, although some tests showed a .9m/s approach in the final step even though I still had the limit set to .7.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I've been using MJ for quite some time now and there are two things that seem to have changed for me.

1. Ascent Guidance: the rocket now rolls after takeoff, I've read here that you should use 90° or 180° to stop it from rolling but I'm just wondering why this was added.
2. Landing Guidance: albeit not really realistic but in previous versions of MJ you could land on a planet without the need to first establish an orbit around it. Now MJ just doesn't respond when I click "Land at Target". Am I doing something wrong?

Not really an issue but when I'm in orbit around Kerbin and try to plan a Hohmann transfer MJ says that my orbit's eccentricity is too high while KerbalEngineer says that it is way below the minimum required value. 

39 minutes ago, simtom said:

2. Landing Guidance: albeit not really realistic but in previous versions of MJ you could land on a planet without the need to first establish an orbit around it. Now MJ just doesn't respond when I click "Land at Target". Am I doing something wrong?

Why is it unrealistic?  Curiosity would like to have a word with you.  If you're going to aerocapture and land it makes more senses to never go into orbit.

19 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Why is it unrealistic?  Curiosity would like to have a word with you.  If you're going to aerocapture and land it makes more senses to never go into orbit.

Well, now that you say that I must admit that I was wrong :) I was talking about landing on The Mun so that's why I didn't think of the Mars landings. Still, do you happen to know why I can't do it anymore?

UPDATE:
I tried to land at the KSC Pad using Landing Guidance (just after exiting orbit around The Mun) and it just didn't work. MJ changed my trajectory to a vertical entry point, which is impossible to do since my final approach speed was over 3000 m/s. I think I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what exactly. 

Edited by simtom

2 minutes ago, Trekkie148 said:

I installed the mod correctly and some parts work fine in the game but I don't see the mechjeb pod. I need help to see if I can find a way to get the mod fully working please? Thanks very much!

The pod was retired after the release of 1.2. Its legs are broken with the new wheel/landing gear code and I do not have access to the model files to fix it.

11 hours ago, simtom said:

@sarbian Do you happen to know what I'm doing wrong? (see four posts above this one)

Nope. I never had this particular problem with the reentry AP. One useful info would be a screenshot of the dV window. Most of the math are done using that.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Nope. I never had this particular problem with the reentry AP. One useful info would be a screenshot of the dV window. Most of the math are done using that.

I'll try to record it and report back.

when using a blacklist, blocking any module, persistentrotation compatibility seems to be broken. getting a lot of this:

[EXC 23:58:47.753] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.RefractionCamera.OnPreCull ()
[EXC 23:58:47.757] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	(wrapper dynamic-method) PersistentRotation.Reflection. (object) <0x0000b>
	PersistentRotation.MechJebWrapper.Active (Vessel) <0x00187>
	PersistentRotation.Main.GetStabilityMode (Vessel) <0x000a6>
	PersistentRotation.Main.FixedUpdate () <0x0117a>

in the logs.

my blacklist is:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MechJebCore]]NEEDS:[MechJeb2]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
        %blacklist = MechJebModuleDockingGuidance MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner
    }
}

Edited by toric5

I'm using Mechjeb 2 in RSS and it works great except for one thing, mechjeb loves to shut down my engines before my fuel runs out. I've looked through the forums and have concluded that it must be because mechjeb 2 has a coast phase when my apoapsis gets to the edge of space. On the mechjeb wiki it says that this coast phase can be edited or edited out, however I can not find where to do this. Anyone know how this is done? Also any other tips you guys have that you have found helpful would be great as I am fairly new to mechjeb 2 and RSS.

8 hours ago, Jared Smythe said:

I'm using Mechjeb 2 in RSS and it works great except for one thing, mechjeb loves to shut down my engines before my fuel runs out. I've looked through the forums and have concluded that it must be because mechjeb 2 has a coast phase when my apoapsis gets to the edge of space. On the mechjeb wiki it says that this coast phase can be edited or edited out, however I can not find where to do this. Anyone know how this is done? Also any other tips you guys have that you have found helpful would be great as I am fairly new to mechjeb 2 and RSS.

The place to ask would be the Mechjeb thread, which your post has now been merged into. :D

19 hours ago, Jared Smythe said:

Three ways to deal with this.

First is manually tune your final pitch using the edit ascent path window. As you approach AP lower your pitch (including going negative) to control your vertical rate and stay under target AP until PE matches. This is an art and pretty hard to get completely right. see also https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Ferram's-Launch-Vehicle-Tutorial

Second set a large (~5000) AP and set a low target Altitude and pitch in the edit ascent path window. You will still find some manual tuning will benefit, and will need to manually shutdown to keep low AP or design the rocket to run out of fuel correctly.  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Ferram-on-Ascent-Profile-and-TWR

Third look at Lamont's PEG development version https://github.com/lamont-granquist/MechJeb2/wiki  Assuming the rocket has a combination of dV and Burn time to make circular orbit in a single burn it will do so.

Lastly you can redesign the rocket to have an ignition for circularization. Either using a motor that has multiple ignitions (J-2, RL-10, AJ10 (Mid) or Advanced...) in the stage that will do the coast phase or add a set of smaller same fuel motors to the burn (say LR105 and have a set of RL101's in reserve)

Edited by Bornholio

2 hours ago, Neil Kerman said:

The mechjeb toolbar isn't showing up even when I put the mechjeb case on my craft even though I installed mechjeb for all and mechjeb embedded universal! Please help, here is log.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B76hhQgc047_UVhRNzM4VUVBTWc/view?usp=sharing

Please help!!!

It would help to have the whole log because what you posted is only 163 lines long...

Also with the first line saying that the Unity version is 5.2.4f1 I highly doubt that your KSP is up to date (I would guess 1.1.3)

4 minutes ago, Neil Kerman said:

where can I find the logs you need Oh great purveyor of nyan cats?

By reading the first line of the OP or my signature and clicking on the link. 

But if you don't run an up to date KSP I won't be able to help.

2 minutes ago, Neil Kerman said:

I'm sure its 1.2.2.

You're not helping yourself by not providing logs.  As stated in the 1st post.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:49 AM, sarbian said:

No logs => No support. If you can not find the time to provide the info I need to diagnose your problem do not expect I will find the time to reply to your post.

Follow the link on the word "logs" to find out how to locate them.