[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

2 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Known issues.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/1052

I have eventual plans, but they are very large.

yea they do seem very large indeed, too large even!?

@Jim DiGrizI wish i knew coding so I could have some legitimate input into this discussion but all I can do is show massive appreciation for all those that are/have developed and supported this ultimate must have mod! - its amazing.

NGL though, it is a massive massive shame it cant land properly, (no mod can i don't think) and everything works great for me with MJ atm, just the aerodynamic that is screwed. :(

- if hypothetically I could write code though, would it be something I could tinker with to get working or would I need some permissions or something from the MJ Devs/Supports?

I used to use KSP 1.4.5 and I would use mechjeb 2.8.3 with and had no problem.

Now I use ksp 1.3.1 and tried to use mechjeb 2.8.3 but it would not work so I used mechjeb 2.7.0 and the interface for peg ascent guidacne is different. Is it possible to keep the same interface from mechjeb 2.8.3 on 2.7.0 because the one on 2.8.3 is so much better and easier to understand

I've noticed in 1.7, MechJeb doesn't seem to burn RCS save a quick puff at the beginning of an attitude change, then at the end. It doesn't keep the thrusters going the whole way. While this saves a lot of RCS fuel, it also means for my much larger vessels, it can take an enormously long time to get the correct attitude. Is this an option I can tweak somewhere, or a bug, or what?

On 5/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, AmpCat said:

I've noticed in 1.7, MechJeb doesn't seem to burn RCS save a quick puff at the beginning of an attitude change, then at the end. It doesn't keep the thrusters going the whole way. While this saves a lot of RCS fuel, it also means for my much larger vessels, it can take an enormously long time to get the correct attitude. Is this an option I can tweak somewhere, or a bug, or what?

Use the Attitude Adjustment menu, if you're using the HybridController (which you should) adjust the MaxStoppingTime.  The default is now '2' which conserves RCS fuel.  Turn that up to '10' and it will get a lot snappier.

3 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

Use the Attitude Adjustment menu, if you're using the HybridController (which you should) adjust the MaxStoppingTime.  The default is now '2' which conserves RCS fuel.  Turn that up to '10' and it will get a lot snappier.

Oh, very nice! I've really wanted the ability to conserve fuel for the docking autopilot or landing guidance, but for normal rotation, I want it to move fast sometimes. :p Thanks!

22 hours ago, Jim DiGriz said:

I was looking under the documentation for MechJeb listed on the first post (https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/wiki/Modules) and I don't see any information on this feature. In fact, seems a lot of features are missing. I suppose it's not updated? Is there some documentation somewhere else I should look at?

46 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

I was looking under the documentation for MechJeb listed on the first post (https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/wiki/Modules) and I don't see any information on this feature. In fact, seems a lot of features are missing. I suppose it's not updated? Is there some documentation somewhere else I should look at?

Nope.

No budget for tech writers.

Really would need the userbase to maintain most of the docs to have any hope of it being done well.  I did some docs for old PEG ascent launches, and need to do more for PVG (but it is all in flux right now so I won't waste time documenting stuff that I'm going to make out of date soon), but documenting the entire MechJeb API is something that won't ever get done unless it is collaborative.

Edit it was my mistake module is under advanced flight control. 

------
Having an issue with 1.71 and breaking ground, it looks like the
manouvering node interface is missing most of the time, I got it once on an ship returning from Mun but then it disappeared again and is missing on new ships, now I have accent and decent autopilot but not create or do node burn.

Its no mechjeb module in the tech tree together with the octo probe core and this tend to unlock the node manipulation and burn. 
Also have making history. 

Edit it was my mistake module is under advanced flight control. 

Edited by magnemoe

6 hours ago, Techneck said:

Where can I find installation instructions other than where to unzip it to?

On the original post (OP) of the topic is generally where you'll find the instructions for just about every mod (and they're there for this mod, too).  That said, they're all basically the same.  Download the zip, and extract the files contained within it to your GameData folder such that you don't end up with something like <your KSP folder>\GameData\GameData.  Many mod zips start with GameData so on Windows systems you can simply drag the mod zip file's GameData right into your KSP directory.  Put another way, copy the contents of the zip file's GameData folder into your KSP directory's GameData folder.

Do not alter the directory or file names during this process...it could break the mod.

Or...you can look at CKAN as a option.  It's not perfect but it hides many of the details and is relatively easy to use until you're ready to learn more.  Not all mods are available on CKAN, often by mod author request, but it's fairly comprehensive.

Edited by Brigadier
Clarity

So it unzipped into Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2, that's correct right?

So when I load Kerbal will I see it when I run a Training Scenario or do I need to be in Career Mode?

Is there a key that activates it?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Techneck said:

So it unzipped into Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2, that's correct right?

So when I load Kerbal will I see it when I run a Training Scenario or do I need to be in Career Mode?

Thanks

Yes, that's the correct place.

Yes, you should see MJ in Career, Science and Sandbox modes.  And, I've confirmed that it's available in the Training scenarios.

There is no key (as in product key) for the mod.  If you mean is there a prerequisite to use MJ in a game save, I don't think so any more.  There used to be a requirement to put a MJ part on the ship but the default is to have MJ enabled all the time now.

What versions of KSP and MJ are you using?  Do you have any other mods installed?

4 hours ago, Techneck said:

Thanks

Have you completed the skill tree requirements for MechJeb, and have you installed a MechJeb module on the ships you are trying to use it with?

2 hours ago, seamutt said:

...and have you installed a MechJeb module on the ships you are trying to use it with?

It used to be that way.  The latest versions of MJ don't require a MJ part on craft by default so this shouldn't be required on a new install.  This can be changed in the options.

7 hours ago, Brigadier said:

It used to be that way.  The latest versions of MJ don't require a MJ part on craft by default so this shouldn't be required on a new install.  This can be changed in the options.

By key I meant on the keyboard, is there a key or key sequence to activate it?

I downloaded MechJeb v2.8.3.0  I have Kerbal  v1.4.2.2110

I went into sandbox and loaded the Kerbal X rocket and went to the launchpad.  I don't see anything on the screen to activate MechJeb.  

I did see MechJeb load when the game starts and the loading bar flashes whats loading.

Hello all!

I’ve been out of KSP circulation for a while, and have loaded the current versions of the game and Mechjeb (best mod EVER!)...I want to add MJ to career mode from the beginning, but can’t remember how to do it, and the link to ‘Mechjeb for all’ doesn’t seem to work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

MJ is enabled in all command pods by default now, you don't need Mechjeb for all nor do you need to attach MJ item to ships.  If you want to enable all the features from the start, that'd probably need a MM patch to change where each feature is in the tech tree.

Edited by Friznit

46 minutes ago, Friznit said:

MJ is enabled in all command pods by default now, you don't need Mechjeb for all nor do you need to attach MJ item to ships.  If you want to enable all the features from the start, that'd probably need a MM patch to change where each feature is in the tech tree.

Does anyone know about a patch, or a way to have MJ available from the start?

5 hours ago, Techneck said:

By key I meant on the keyboard, is there a key or key sequence to activate it?

I downloaded MechJeb v2.8.3.0  I have Kerbal  v1.4.2.2110

I went into sandbox and loaded the Kerbal X rocket and went to the launchpad.  I don't see anything on the screen to activate MechJeb.  

I did see MechJeb load when the game starts and the loading bar flashes whats loading.

Just a thought, MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883 is listed as compatible with KSP 1.7.x.  Exactly which link did you use to download MJ?  Check to see if you have build 883 and if so, downgrade to 2.8.3.0-881 or less to match with your KSP 1.4.2.  Consider upgrading KSP to at least 1.7 unless some other mod is preventing you.

Well, there is the toolbar icon.  I know you've said you don't see anything but, and I'm just verifying here, do you not see the "MJ" icon on the toolbar?

Could you post a link to your log file, please?

Edited by Brigadier

On 6/1/2019 at 1:45 PM, Brigadier said:

Just a thought, MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883 is listed as compatible with KSP 1.7.x.  Exactly which link did you use to download MJ?  Check to see if you have build 883 and if so, downgrade to 2.8.3.0-881 or less to match with your KSP 1.4.2.  Consider upgrading KSP to at least 1.7 unless some other mod is preventing you.

Well, there is the toolbar icon.  I know you've said you don't see anything but, and I'm just verifying here, do you not see the "MJ" icon on the toolbar?

Could you post a link to your log file, please?

I downloaded MechJeb from Cruse Forge which linked to Github.  This link: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/mechjeb

I upgraded Kerbal to 1.7

I started sandbox mode.  When you say look for the MechJeb icon in the toolbar. Do you mean in the lower left of the screen?  I now see the maneuver tools which I guess is a new feature in v1.7  but do not see any MechJeb icon.

Working on figuring out how to get a log file to send you.

3 hours ago, Techneck said:

I downloaded MechJeb from Cruse Forge which linked to Github.  This link: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/mechjeb

I upgraded Kerbal to 1.7

I started sandbox mode.  When you say look for the MechJeb icon in the toolbar. Do you mean in the lower left of the screen?  I now see the maneuver tools which I guess is a new feature in v1.7  but do not see any MechJeb icon.

Working on figuring out how to get a log file to send you.

Is this the log you requested called KSP in the Kerbal Space Program folder?

On 6/1/2019 at 7:07 AM, Brigadier said:

I have KSP 1.7.1 and MechJeb 2.8.3.0-883, but Mechjeb options and controls show up only if I place a MJ part on the vessel. I installed MJ using CKAN with the Dev List.

Any advice?