[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Are you making sure that the check boxes next to altitude and speed are checked and that you pressed "Engage autopilot"?

Yes. I do have them checked. I tried unchecking and checking them again but still nothing. I might just reinstall mechjeb. 

3 hours ago, jebstwin said:

Yes. I do have them checked. I tried unchecking and checking them again but still nothing. I might just reinstall mechjeb. 

Did you change the numbers in the PID window? Do you have other Mechjeb modules activated (check the list for something green) ? Does your aircraft have enough controls? I.E, are you able to do the same without extreme inputs? Do you have other mods installed, potentially autopilot mods?

This is what came up on top of my head, but maybe worth checking out.

Edited by vinix

I've seen some mentions of a scripting capability within mechjeb? Seems like the appropriate article on the wiki doesn't exist yet. Is there documentation somewhere on how do use this?

I would like to write a script that uses the maneuver planner to create and execute a mid-course correction burn on the outward trans-munar phase of an apollo style flight, so the script would need to be able to define the the SOI rendezvous as the goal.
Ideally this script would be tied to an action group, so that I don't have to bring up mechjeb UI elements during the flight at all...

EDIT: So I found the scripting module in the flight scene and it seems pretty intuitive. I think I will be able to use it for what I want, except the initial loading and execution of a saved script without using the ui. There seems to be a pretty extensive list of action group commands available in the editor for mechjeb, but none of them seem related to the scripting module, if I'm not mistaken. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing? If not, I would like to make this a feature request....

Edited by Errol

I want to use the ascent guidance in such a way that it does not roll after launch, and instead goes to orbit without turning. However, when I set the hold roll values to anything that is not 90 and 90, the rocket tips over in a seemingly random direction, and flies directly into the ground/ocean. Has anyone else experienced this, or knows how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone come up with a fix for "landing predictions" and "show trajectory" not showing, or the cursor for pick a landing spot?

I know that I'm not the only one, but I don't have time to read 163 pages. Can't find any answers with Google, other than read this forum.

48 minutes ago, hugh.g.rection said:

i downloaded ksp on steam and then got cursed forge, then i downloaded mechjeb but it is not showing up in ksp i did the instructions for download and looked in the pods tab in the vab so can anyone help?

Mechjeb have some parts, yes, but the core functionality is added to every command capsule/probe. Start a sandbox game, launch a vessel and see if you have a button that says "Mechjeb" or "MJ" in your screen . If not, my advice would be to reinstall using  CKAN, as it manages the installation and dependencies for you.

Hope this helps

8 hours ago, hugh.g.rection said:

i downloaded ksp on steam and then got cursed forge, then i downloaded mechjeb but it is not showing up in ksp i did the instructions for download and looked in the pods tab in the vab so can anyone help?

The Mechjeb AR202 case isn't in pods, it's in the control category beside the stock RCS blocks and reaction control wheels.

The "Mechanical Jeb - Pod" is deprecated and won't appear in any category by default but should be findable if you put its name in the search bar. But because it's deprecated I don't recommend using it.

@tinyspy44 The Baikonur Cosmodrome is at latitude 46° N. You cannot launch into an orbit with a lower inclination without a dogleg, no matter your launch window. The Moon's inclination relative to Earth is only ~ 28°. If you use launch to plane of target then it will always try to dogleg for lower inclination orbits.

You could however time it manually and set orbital inclination to "current" and that would get you a non-doglegged launch with a ~18° inclination relative to The Moon. One way you might try to get Mechjeb to help you with manual timing would be to initially click the launch to target button (but non enable autopilot), note the countdown time, set a manual alarm (stock or KAC) for that time, cancel the launch to target and switch inclination back to "current", then fast forward till the alarm goes off and enable autopilot at that point.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:06 PM, Aelfhe1m said:

@tinyspy44 The Baikonur Cosmodrome is at latitude 46° N. You cannot launch into an orbit with a lower inclination without a dogleg, no matter your launch window. The Moon's inclination relative to Earth is only ~ 28°. If you use launch to plane of target then it will always try to dogleg for lower inclination orbits.

You could however time it manually and set orbital inclination to "current" and that would get you a non-doglegged launch with a ~18° inclination relative to The Moon. One way you might try to get Mechjeb to help you with manual timing would be to initially click the launch to target button (but non enable autopilot), note the countdown time, set a manual alarm (stock or KAC) for that time, cancel the launch to target and switch inclination back to "current", then fast forward till the alarm goes off and enable autopilot at that point.

Thank you for your help, I see what you mean but I am trying to follow the flightpath of Luna spacecraft with their direct ascent. Even then I can just do the inclination change in orbit as the Blok E has enough for that. But I will try the KAC idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to make auto-stage default to being on? I suppose there might be people who have a use for having it off, but I don't believe I've ever had a vehicle where I wouldn't want it on. Actually took me an inordinately long time to figure out that the option even existed. Now I know, but I still occasionally forget to turn it on and then find myself behind the ball in catching up for the late staging that results by the time I figure out what's wrong and react.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked through the manual and tried some searches but had no luck, so here goes:

Is it possible to configure different attitude controllers depending on the vessel?

I have a station in orbit where attitude control is really twitchy, except for MJAttitudeController which works extremely well even with the default settings. I tried fudging around with the PID gains and settings for the other controllers but that didn't work as well as just switching controllers.

However for all other ships, I want to keep using BetterController, because it is, well, better. So is there a way to use MJAttitudeController just for the station? I tried putting the following in the craft-specific cfg file:

MechJebModuleAttitudeController
{
        activeController = 0
}

and it works once when I switch to the station, but it's immediately overwritten and removed from the cfg so it's not a viable solution.

It also changes the global setting, so it doesn't help for setting a different per-vessel controller.

I still remember a time when I had to slap on a MJ controller on a craft and make sure it was oriented properly :)

Have you tried disabling the CFG file that places MJ on all parts with [ModuleCommand]?  That way, you can selectively have MJ on any craft.

EDIT:  Silly me :)  There is a MechJeb toggle on [ModuleCommand] parts.  Try setting that to disabled to see if BetterController takes over.  But then, that also disables the rest of the MJ features for that craft.

Edited by bcqJC
foot in mouth :)

No, both MJController and BetterController are options for Mechjeb's attitude control. I don't want to turn off Mechjeb, I want to select which controller it uses for each vessel.

I remember one the time when MechJeb used to work so well, landing perfectly on the Mun, Minmus, even Duna…

I think it was last year when this mod helped me built a base in Mun, it nailed every landing on the spot (I even had to take over cause it would land on  the previous ship hahaha).

Sadly I don’t remember what version it was, can someone remember the last time Mechjeb worked well? And if it would compatible with 1.12?

On 7/16/2022 at 11:08 PM, adriangm44 said:

Sadly I don’t remember what version it was, can someone remember the last time Mechjeb worked well? And if it would compatible with 1.12?

What's wrong with MechJeb?  Have you reported issues (including logs)?  Is it the main release or the current development release?  Have you pinged @sarbian?

It seems like that when a stock jet engine is installed on a vehicle, MJ will simply refuse to launch when Primer Vector Guidance is selected. I've been able to recreate this issue under KSP 1.12.3,  pure stock environment with only MJ installed.  Anyone else noticed this?

Bit of an odd question, but would it be possible to script Mechjeb to auto-land winged boosters while the main craft continues to orbit?

Perhaps enable specific modules & settings via KAL controllers?

Craft in question (2x, on both sides of main rocket):
tjee8S1.png

The wings unfold themselves via KAL controllers shortly after separating turning them into engine-less gliders and they're decently stable in flight.

In order to land these, I usually have to swap vessels and them manually, meaning I can only ever land one at a time, and the main rocket doesn't make it into orbit as a result of me swapping away. I'm curious if I can get Mechjeb to do the landing in the background though? 

Edited by HafCoJoe

2 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

Bit of an odd question, but would it be possible to script Mechjeb to auto-land winged boosters while the main craft continues to orbit?

Craft in question (2x, on both sides of main rocket):
tjee8S1.png

In order to land these, I usually have to swap vessels and them manually, meaning I can only ever land one at a time, and the main rocket doesn't make it into orbit as a result of me swapping away. I'm curious if I can get Mechjeb to do the landing in the background though? 

You can use FMRS to manually fly your upper stage to orbit, then go back in time to the separation and fly your boosters back

4 hours ago, Rodger said:

You can use FMRS to manually fly your upper stage to orbit, then go back in time to the separation and fly your boosters back

Oh nice, that solution could work! Would  this work for both side boosters? They separate and land at the same time which makes it impossible to fly them both manually at the same time.

Again I'd still like Mechjeb to hand it though, as having them land themselves would be incredible, and I think there's enough time for them to do so before the main craft leaves range. I could be mistaken though.

Edited by HafCoJoe

Hey guys, I am curently running a JNSQ install with a bunch of mods increasing the realism (real SRBs, Life Support, mandatory RCS,...) and I am having problems with the compatibility of Engine Ignitor and Mechjeb. I activated the ullage simulation from Engine Ignitor so that the fuel has to settle down in before starting an engine. When using the mechjeb autopilot this sadly isn´t handled automatically. Thefeore I tried to search for a solution and many posts refering to RO and RP1 suggested, that there would be an option to activate "RCS to ullage" in the mods settings menue. After trying some things I did find possibility to include the option via the custom window designer as part of a custom window, but activating it in that way doesn´t do anything to the autopilot process. I would be glad if anybody has run into the same problem and has an anwser to solve it

cheers ;)

On 7/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, HafCoJoe said:

Oh nice, that solution could work! Would  this work for both side boosters? They separate and land at the same time which makes it impossible to fly them both manually at the same time.

Again I'd still like Mechjeb to hand it though, as having them land themselves would be incredible, and I think there's enough time for them to do so before the main craft leaves range. I could be mistaken though.

I don't think any autopilot would be able to land a booster while at the same time taking a payload to orbit. The problem is that KSP can 't operate more than one physics bubble at a time, and you need two (or for twin boosters three) physics bubbles. FMRS gets around this by using some nifty time-travel to allow you or your autopilot to take the payload to orbit, and then allow you to land each and every booster, one at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Running 1.12.3 and pretty much any mechjeb version I try (2.13 to latest stable release) all have the mechjeb menu locked into the top left corner of the screen an no options in the window  other than "custom window settings".   I think I had a 1.12.1 setup without this issue. Am I doing something wrong? I've seen the same issue reported when googling it, but can't find a solution.

edit: found the github issue about this, but am not running Click Through Blocker. Any other mods that cause this issue?

Edited by Jimbodiah