[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Hi, just wanted to suggest a new module for MJ.  we need a Ship/Submarine auto pilot.   the aircraft one would be fine if there was a click option to enable or disable rudder steering, to switch between turning with roll or yaw.  And secondly for subs we need an altitude hold that will allow negative values.

On top of this it would be nice for both surface ships/subs, and aircraft, if it could auto steer to the current nav target.  So we can select a WP in WP manager, or some other method of setting the nav target, then tell the autopilot to heading hold on that WP.

On 9/10/2022 at 6:51 PM, Cdodders said:

How does one set up for Hot-Staging? Including timing and staging setup?

Good question; as for me it sometimes works as intended and sometimes totally not:

Could it be that a low performance PC makes the code lag out and so a result of a subroutine "is late" which makes the main process omit a step and the result is that in some cases a hotstaging is not happening but the 2nd stage's engine already ignites as soon as the launch clamps were released?

In RP-1 that is (by CKAN Express Install).

Edit:
Please type "hotstaging", not "Hot-Staging", as if someone searches for the word as it's written in MechJeb's UI it wouldn't fit.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone explain to me what "launch to target LAN" does? I kind of get it, but I'm lost on whose-LAN-relative-to-what.

Like, if I set the moon as my target, and I click "launch to target LAN" 0°, then my orbit's LAN around Earth will be ~0° relative to what? Is it the moon itself? Is it the moon's LAN relative to Earth?

I'm trying to find a good way to launch to L4 from Svobodny, so I need to get a grasp on this, but I'm really baffled. Unless of course, I'm just using the wrong tool anyway. But it seems like it's the right one, because I want my LAN to point in a specific direction on the moon's orbit (~5 days ahead of my target), but then how do I target a specific place on the moon's orbit?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use the Rover Autopilot to drive to a game waypoint (From a contract or waypoint manager).  Is there a way to select the active waypoint as a rover waypoint?

Currently I am creating a rover waypoint by clicking on the map and then editing it in the "Rover Waypoint" window to match the lattitude / longitude coordinates. Am I missing something here?

I'm having problems with the transfer to another planet function in the Maneuver Planner failing. I looked in the KSP.log and I see this:

[EXC 14:14:24.414] TimeoutException: Brent's rootfinding method: maximum iterations exceeded
	MuMech.Brent.Solve (MuMech.BrentFun f, System.Double a, System.Double b, System.Double rtol, System.Double& x, System.Double& y, System.Object o, System.Int32 maxiter, System.Int32 sign) (at <4cdbe337c6aa43d0bc3552436a95c969>:0)
	MuMech.OrbitalManeuverCalculator.DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer (Orbit o, Orbit target, System.Double UT, System.Double& burnUT) (at <4cdbe337c6aa43d0bc3552436a95c969>:0)
	MuMech.OrbitalManeuverCalculator.DeltaVAndTimeForInterplanetaryTransferEjection (Orbit o, System.Double UT, Orbit target, System.Boolean syncPhaseAngle, System.Double& burnUT) (at <4cdbe337c6aa43d0bc3552436a95c969>:0)
	MuMech.OperationInterplanetaryTransfer.MakeNodesImpl (Orbit o, System.Double UT, MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController target) (at <4cdbe337c6aa43d0bc3552436a95c969>:0)
	MuMech.Operation.MakeNodes (Orbit o, System.Double universalTime, MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController target) (at <4cdbe337c6aa43d0bc3552436a95c969>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	MuMech.Operation:MakeNodes(Orbit, Double, MechJebModuleTargetController)
	MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner:WindowGUI(Int32)
	MuMech.DisplayModule:ProfiledWindowGUI(Int32)
	UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)
[LOG 14:14:50.913] [Orbit] SolveClosestApproach: solve took too many iterations, result incorrect
[LOG 14:14:50.957] [Orbit] SolveClosestApproach: solve took too many iterations, result incorrect
[LOG 14:14:50.959] [Orbit] SolveClosestApproach: solve took too many iterations, result incorrect

Any suggestions?

5 minutes ago, Horizons Aerospace said:

Every time I try to use ascent guidance, instead of launching into the desired orbit, it pitches over in a seemingly random direction  extremely aggressively. Has anyone else experienced this, or know a workaround?

KSP.log

Happens to me when "corrective steering" is set to a very high value, try disabling it and see if it fixes your problem.
Other causes may be: Unbalanced rocket, wobbly payload, or a reversed control point (I.E. your navball points to the launchpad instead of up)

Hi there, 
Currently upgrading from KSP 1.3 finally after all these years. Had a good bunch of issues, Tweakscale being a big one. Seemed to have solved most of them except Mechjeb is now being kind of a mess.
Once I'm out of atmosphere or in orbit, it seems to just, stop working. Trying to take a craft to 110 km, does most of the burn, then just quits. Smart A.S.S. doesn't work, I can still create and remove nodes but I can't actually do them anymore. No indicator light works on the AR2 case anymore so I can't tell if that's on or not. I haven't tried rendezvous autopilot or docking autopilot yet, which really is a game killer if those are gone. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo603jv7yucgnk4/KSP.log?dl=0

8 hours ago, FullOfStars said:

Hi there, 
Currently upgrading from KSP 1.3 finally after all these years. Had a good bunch of issues, Tweakscale being a big one. Seemed to have solved most of them except Mechjeb is now being kind of a mess.
Once I'm out of atmosphere or in orbit, it seems to just, stop working. Trying to take a craft to 110 km, does most of the burn, then just quits. Smart A.S.S. doesn't work, I can still create and remove nodes but I can't actually do them anymore. No indicator light works on the AR2 case anymore so I can't tell if that's on or not. I haven't tried rendezvous autopilot or docking autopilot yet, which really is a game killer if those are gone. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo603jv7yucgnk4/KSP.log?dl=0

Update: I've been testing a bit more. It seems like above ~79-80km, MJ just doesn't work anymore. Smart A.S.S. doesn't seem to be working at all. It seems rendezvous autopilot is affected as well. Does not attempt to make the node or turn the ship to correct positioning. I have not been able to test docking autopilot yet. I made sure all my facilities were upgraded, I'm playing Sandbox anyway. Tried many many options and have messed with scripting, checked parts, checked integration, tried crewed and uncrewed. My log is above but I can provide more if needed. 
I have tried both 2.12.3.0 and 2.14.1.0 and both have the same issue. Additionally, clicking the "settings" button leaves some small image in the top left of the screen that can't be clicked or interacted with. 

On 10/24/2022 at 3:19 PM, davide96 said:

hi all guys, I have a problem with mechjeb, after 1 year without playing I started again with ksp, but when I use the throttle limiter function it does not work, IDK what I'm doing wrong, can ypu please help me to fix this problem??

I'm working through a bunch of issues myself here, but throttle limiter did start working if I reverted back to version 2.12.3.0 if you are on the latest KSP build. The latest download (2.14.1.0) had my throttle limit button non functioning. A lot of my other features aren't working on either version. 

Edited by FullOfStars
Information add

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

One thing you can do for sure is get rid of MiniAVC, as it's dead and can cause issues at runtime. There's a mod called NoMiniAVC, but the last thing you need is another mod. :)

What does Mini AVC do? Happy to delete anything I can lol. I've noticed it is in interstellar fuel switch. Would there need to be an updated dependency for this?

Edited by FullOfStars
Question rephrase

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I believe it used to be a system for checking for mod updates on startup.

You're a LIFESAVER dude. Deleted that and went back to test a craft, Smart a.s.s. is working, and so far, my maneuver planner is working fine. I'm going to try rendezvous and docking but I feel like that was the issue. MAJOR thanks. I had been dreading moving off KSP 1.3 for years because of the potential for losing mods and everything. Happy to say it looks like the only casualty I'm seeing has been an airlock I often used and the B9 flat landing gear. Joint Reinforcement was broken as could be, but I might try it again and see. Otherwise, advanced tweakables for the most part has been satisfactory enough. 

Edit: It has ALSO fixed what I thought was a new mechanic where I still had drift with SAS on manual, and seems to just generally be running better. That mod is a SERIOUS problem lol. 

Edited by FullOfStars
Further finds

Welp, spoke too soon. Now it isn't working again on a new load. This time it followed the pattern of not completing a burn and then stopping, but it made it to 140 k or so and then just quit on me. Now my SAS control has stopped working as well (Does not hold position, but gives me manuever controls yaw, pitch, roll)

Very frustrating. Not sure what's to blame honestly.

Here's the newest log with MiniAVC deleted. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkvamk2tf3iwtag/KSP.log?dl=0

Update:
Been playing around with it, here is what I -think- is going on. 
Mechjeb is breaking when completing an orbit burn for the first time (Launching to orbital insertion)
The burn does not finish and leaves somewhere around 5-10seconds of burn time that I've been completing manually and that is when the trouble starts.
However if I finish that burn, put in orbit, and restart the game, I -seem- to get Mechjeb working again. Will do a bunch of testing tonight, it's just a bit difficult to do repeated tests because it takes a good 20-30 minutes to load each time I restart KSP. 

Edited by FullOfStars
Potential issue recognized

On 10/26/2022 at 9:29 PM, FullOfStars said:

I'm working through a bunch of issues myself here, but throttle limiter did start working if I reverted back to version 2.12.3.0 if you are on the latest KSP build. The latest download (2.14.1.0) had my throttle limit button non functioning. A lot of my other features aren't working on either version. 

I solved the issue on the latest release of ksp by installing the version  2.12.3.0

22 hours ago, davide96 said:

I solved the issue on the latest release of ksp by installing the version  2.12.3.0

This is my version 1.12.3.3173
Overall, I've gotten to an ok point with mechjeb. It still crashes when putting a craft into orbit for the first time, but that's solved by going to the tracking station and coming back to the craft. It isn't as good as it used to be, seems to have a lot of problems such as burn times being wrong or such, and landing controls are always iffy. 

I was searching for it in the thread but found nothing.

Is there a reason why MJ autowarp before node executions sometimes limits itself to 2x physwarp? I didn't change any settings, and I'm not sure if this is correct, but it seemed to happen only in low Vall and Bop orbit so far?

Shouldn't it be able to override altitude warp limits?

Edited by The Aziz

14 minutes ago, strangespinosaurus said:

how do i fix this problem mechjeb is not popping up 

Do you mean in the KSP2 Knowledge Repository, or the KSP1 mod?

I've merged your post in the appropriate thread which you have already found.  Please don't crosspost the same question in random locations, it only causes confusion.

Edited by Gargamel

I've not player KSP for about a year.  Just started again.  MechJeb2 is broken.  Specifically, sometimes the "Delta V" shows up in the VAB and the Launchpad. Sometimes they don't appear.  Completely random.  To ensure I have access to all functions this, I modified the part.cfg:

MechJebLocalSettings {
            MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }
        }
Frustrating.  I looked at the player.log and don't see anything strange.  Are there other log files I can send you?  Where are they located?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really not quite sure were to begin here.  I'll just start by saying I've been using KSP v1.11.2 as a beta under Steam with no problems and refrained from going to v1.12.3 and was more or less forced to when my v1.11.3 under Steam suddenly developed an issue I couldn't resolve, this just happened to be a few days before Perfect Division added their new launcher, so I moved up to v1.12.3 because all of the 125 or so mods I use were now available for v1.12.2 at least.  Things seemed good for about a week under v1.12.3 until Perfect Division decided to add their unneeded launcher and, again, my now modded v1.12.4 threw a  new "Houston we have a problem" warning about a serious .dll issue that I can't remember now.  So at that point I decided to use v1.12.3 independently from Steam.  However, and here is the BIG odd issue I'm having with MJ2 that and I can't solve,  for some reason even my earliest saved v1.12.3 has the "Limit acceleration to" and "Limit throttle to" values linked.  If I change one the other changes to the same value at the same time!  I'm hoping somebody has had this same issue and can give me a solution to the problem.  I really didn't notice this issue until a few days ago, but I save the full game about every week or so and this "linked" behavior is in my earliest save of v1.12.3 in early November.  Thanks for any help or input here.

EDIT:  I just obtained a fresh install of KSP  v1.12.3 from Steam and copied it to an independent folder just to make sure it works, and it does.   I then used CKAN to add MJ2 v2.14.2.0 and its Module Manager v4.2.2 dependency and it still has the acceleration and throttle inputs linked in some weird way.  So it seems to be an issue with MJ2 or Module Manger here.  I hope this gives somebody a clue for fixing this problem.

EDIT #2:  Player.log link to Google Drive ->  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19Ndy7NfR-3NoiPcGfV509SJDvczjXXDO?usp=sharing

Edited by rnyboy

It appears nobody is supporting this mod in the forum.  Shame.  I can't use the mod, as I've do so in the past.  I really wish there was a substitute for this mod.  I'm using KER and Maneuver Node Evolved.  instead.  I prefer MJ2  I guess the authors are awating KSP2 and ceased efforts on MJ2.