Jump to content

[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.1] [1st April 2022]


sarbian
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, sarbian said:

The newest dev will fix your problem. Your vessel has an Intake module with a wrong named transform. I guess a part config is wrong somewhere but given how long it took to start your modded install I did not want to spend more time on it.

Thanks, I'll go and grab it.  Yea almost 200 mods takes a while to startup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2018 at 10:36 PM, Jim DiGriz said:

Build 831 now includes "MechJebForAll" style functionality by default.  To override it and go back to *having* to use the mechjeb command pod, create the empty directory GameData/MechJebUseCommandPod

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/831/

(It also disables itself if RealismOverhaul/RP-0 are found in the install)

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/1087

You'll need to have ModuleManager to have it work, and I think MM now needs to be added as a dep of MechJeb in CKAN.

Did something else change? '

It appears that the previous cfg that also changed the unlockstech has stopped working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Did something else change? '

It appears that the previous cfg that also changed the unlockstech has stopped working.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final

whatever MM config you are using should have a line somewhat like that, but if it is missing the "Final" bit you need to add that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you please add a "stage before re-entry" checkbox to the landing guidance?

So I'm orbiting Kerbin (or other planet/moon with an atmosphere) in a re-entry capsule on top of a final stage (e.g. the top of a Kerbal 1 or Kerbal X)

What happens now is I have landing guidance do all its burns to put me on target to land at KSC. Then I stage so I just have my re-entry capsule & heatshield. Now I'm 65km short because of the high drag/low mass capsule. Oops.

So I have to quicksave, do the burns, stage, find out it's 65km short, quickload, then burn prograde so my landing point is 65-70km east (or set the original target that far out, which I'm not good at..)

It would be nice to have a "stage before re-entry" checkbox so the predictor ignores the current stage, and it calculates the atmospheric entry of just the capsule.

I don't know if this is even possible (predicting for a different config) but if it is, it sure would be nice.

And if it could point retrograde and stage after doing all the burns, that'd be icing on the cake.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Could you please add a "stage before re-entry" checkbox to the landing guidance?

So I'm orbiting Kerbin (or other planet/moon with an atmosphere) in a re-entry capsule on top of a final stage (e.g. the top of a Kerbal 1 or Kerbal X)

What happens now is I have landing guidance do all its burns to put me on target to land at KSC. Then I stage so I just have my re-entry capsule & heatshield. Now I'm 65km short because of the high drag/low mass capsule. Oops.

So I have to quicksave, do the burns, stage, find out it's 65km short, quickload, then burn prograde so my landing point is 65-70km east (or set the original target that far out, which I'm not good at..)

It would be nice to have a "stage before re-entry" checkbox so the predictor ignores the current stage, and it calculates the atmospheric entry of just the capsule.

I don't know if this is even possible (predicting for a different config) but if it is, it sure would be nice.

And if it could point retrograde and stage after doing all the burns, that'd be icing on the cake.

Thanks!

Why dont you give the capsule lift by offsetting the centre of mass? That will give you more control in the atmosphere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found an intermittent problem in Mechjeb 848 & 846. I haven't tested further back. I've got a fuel cache on Duna I'm trying to land near, but Mechjeb landed long by a several kilometers using the exact coordinates, so I started moving my target coordinates for Mechjeb further west and ran into Mechjeb losing it's mind. Depending on the values I choose I can either land in the vicinity of my target or run out of fuel on the way to one of the poles.

Initial orbit is 59.5km-60.5km with a .3° inclination. The landing autopilot target is 0°58'59"S 90°58'24"E near the equator. During the course correction phase at some point Mechjeb acts like it's swapped its lat & long values. Mechjeb will do the initial high deorbit burn to pass over the landing site and begin doing course corrections. Lots of little flips & burns and then Mechjeb goes haywire and does a massive inclination change and shifts the touchdown point to near one of the poles. Usually but not always to the south pole. Normally this will run me out of fuel. With infinite fuel Mechjeb does another course correction around 40-45° latitude to bring the touchdown point back to near the original target. 

I've looked in the logs and I don't see any errors/warnings/exceptions during the landing. Is there anything else I can provide to help troubleshoot this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2019 at 11:06 PM, Jim DiGriz said:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final

whatever MM config you are using should have a line somewhat like that, but if it is missing the "Final" bit you need to add that.

I must have buggered something else up, because it doesn't work (unless I manually hack the MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg file)

Here's old cfg that used to work-

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:Final
{
    %MODULE[MechJebCore]
    {
        MechJebLocalSettings
        {
            MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = start }
...
            MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = start }
        }
    }
}

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey there, first time installed MechJeb to test it out and I have a question that I haven't found answer for yet. So, is it possible to recover my rocket boosters using MechJeb or control any decoupled part if there's mech jeb mounted? The problem is that I installed reaction wheels, batteries and chutes on my boosters, but haven't figured out how to give them specific command for autolanding anywhere and make something different for my main ship.

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

Hey there, first time installed MechJeb to test it out and I have a question that I haven't found answer for yet. So, is it possible to recover my rocket boosters using MechJeb or control any decoupled part if there's mech jeb mounted? The problem is that I installed reaction wheels, batteries and chutes on my boosters, but haven't figured out how to give them specific command for autolanding anywhere and make something different for my main ship.

Following answer is all TTBOMK, (to the best of my knowledge)

This is usually a hopeless cause because as soon as the ejected parts get to be a certain distance from your ascending rocket, (the figure 2.2KM sticks in my mind, but wouldn't swear to it), the system deletes them to prevent the engine from bogging down in too many calculations. They just disappear, POOF! Better to strip all that expensive stuff from the ejected parts and just consider them a write-off. Basically all you can recover is the part that lands.

And this isn't a MechJeb thing, it's a KSP thing, so there's nothing Sarbian or Jim can do about it.

Again, the above is all TTBOMK, based entirely upon my own experience and memories of previous conversations on the subject

 

Edited by El Sancho
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

Hey there, first time installed MechJeb to test it out and I have a question that I haven't found answer for yet. So, is it possible to recover my rocket boosters using MechJeb or control any decoupled part if there's mech jeb mounted? The problem is that I installed reaction wheels, batteries and chutes on my boosters, but haven't figured out how to give them specific command for autolanding anywhere and make something different for my main ship.

Not with MechJeb. KSP has a limited physics range of around 2000m where things outside that range are no longer calculated. If they are in atmosphere they are destroyed when they pass out of range. Also, MechJeb seems to only control multiple craft if they are within 200m of each other, which is useful in docking to set the orientation on both your ship and the docking target.

There are a couple other mods aimed at recovery of boosters. 

I use StageRecovery just so I don't have to futz around with each stage manually. All I need to do is slap on enough chutes to each stage. I only worry about boosters that won't make it to orbit.

There is also FMRS that does tricks with going back in time to let you manually control each stage. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

Hey there, first time installed MechJeb to test it out and I have a question that I haven't found answer for yet. So, is it possible to recover my rocket boosters using MechJeb or control any decoupled part if there's mech jeb mounted? The problem is that I installed reaction wheels, batteries and chutes on my boosters, but haven't figured out how to give them specific command for autolanding anywhere and make something different for my main ship.

This isn't the realm of MechJeb.  The game can only control one rocket at a time.

My answer to this is a mod called Stage Recovery.  It *simulates* the landing--either chutes or a powered landing if it has fuel and control.  This is completely hands-off, if the stages are set up properly when you jettison them you get back the cash based on their landing point.

There's also a mod whose name eludes me right now that lets you save the discarded booster and then fly it down after your main booster is in orbit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

There are a couple other mods aimed at recovery of boosters. 

I use StageRecovery just so I don't have to futz around with each stage manually.

4 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

My answer to this is a mod called Stage Recovery.  It *simulates* the landing--either chutes or a powered landing if it has fuel and control.

4 minutes ago, El Sancho said:

This is usually a hopeless cause because as soon as the ejected parts get to be a certain distance from your ascending rocket, (the figure 2.2KM sticks in my mind, but wouldn't swear to it), the system deletes them to prevent the engine from bogging down in too many calculations.

 

Thanks for all your explanations, sad that it is not possible to give the AI command for autolanding, decouple the stages and watch them landing while burning through the atmosphere. I'm still curious how people make those 100% reusable across the universe and back spacecrafts though. The reason I wanted this feature is to watch them land, not watching for popups about the recovered stages, so the Stage Recovery isn't really for me. However the FMRS looks interesting, I'll definitely check it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I want the powered explicit guidance in ascent autopilot to save some fuel for landing, how do i do that?

Put it in a separate tank (there are some pretty thin ones in most sizes) and lock the tank.  Stage Recovery ignores the locks (it assumes the locks are for it's benefit), I have no idea what FMRS does but you certainly can unlock them manually if need be in that case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Put it in a separate tank (there are some pretty thin ones in most sizes) and lock the tank.  Stage Recovery ignores the locks (it assumes the locks are for it's benefit), I have no idea what FMRS does but you certainly can unlock them manually if need be in that case.

What about modded rockets that can only have 1 single tank? (e.g. BFR/starship)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi I've been following latest dev builds trying to stay up to date to maintain compatibility with 1.6.1. there seems to be some issue/bug with the landing guidance locking up and losing its count of "height above surface" and then subsequently allowing crafts to crash without performing a landing burn.  This seems to happen most when it is trying to correct the distance to target and often as an indicator, the predicted landing zone will move dramatically to the west of the target as well as the height counter locking up.  I only run mechjeb and alarm clock mods if that helps.

Edited by Rizendell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dlrk said:

@sarbian

 

Is there any way to have scripting module altitude refer to altitude above ground level, rather than above sea level?

Done. I switched it to altitudeBottom. I wish I could add more altitude selection but the way this was coded make it a pain...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

A small suggestion for mechjeb for RO:

Use rcs to thrust for 5 seconds before main engine ignition.

Ullage support has been in MJ for years. Look in the "Utilities" windows for "Use RCS to ullage"

Edited by sarbian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sarbian or @Jim DiGriz here is a bug in KSP 1.6.0 & 1.6.1 that can lock up the parts menu in the VAB if a bulkheadProfiles isn't defined for each part. The thread below discusses it.

The following parts of this mod need bulkheadProfiles defined for each part in the file. The AR202 needs an entry at each part definition within its file. Adding a line bulkheadProfiles = srf is all that's needed for surface attach only parts. I'm not asking for help, just notifying mod makers when I run across problem parts because it can create problems for other users of this mod until it's fixed.

./MechJeb2/Parts/MechJeb2_AR202/part.cfg
./MechJeb2/Parts/MechJeb2_Pod/part.cfg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...