[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Hello,

Is there a way to access the  airplane autopilot module in IVA (with RPM) and to change for example heading or speed directly from IVA  with the screen buttons?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Hippodingo

16 hours ago, EndAllFilms said:

Your installation is full of mods that are not compatible with the current version of KSP, with over 131 exception in the loading screen alone.

The only help I can give is an advice: Start with a clean KSP install and use CKAN to add mods. That way you will not have obsolete mods.

On 3/4/2023 at 3:08 PM, sarbian said:

Edit: One last thing. I know some of you have the bug where the UI is stuck in the corner and broken. I have not been able to reproduce it. If someone here has this bug and does not have a huge list of mods please share your mods info, so I can have another go at it.

I've been this having trouble with 2.14.3.0-1151 and 2.14.3.0-1152. 

Clean vanilla install of KSP 1.12.5 with only MechJeb 2.14.3.0-1152 installed:

• Boot KSP
  • Start new Sandbox save
  • Open editor and load a stock craft, I chose the 'Kerbal 1' with a MechJeb computer added, and send to the pad.
  • Open the Ascent Guidance window and then change the mode to PVG.
  • Toggle on 'Edit Rocket Staging' and the 'PVG Settings' window opens in the top left corner and its blank and you cannot move it.

cGE66KE.png

Since 2.14.3.0-1151 I also have the issue that you click 'Engage Autopilot', then stage to launch and the ascent guidance doesn't do anything. With 2.14.3.0-1150 it correctly functions and launches the craft and controls the ascent, since 2.14.3.0-1151 the ascent guidance seems to not trigger.

I'll get some logs.

EDIT:

For this I used the same Vanilla 1.12.5 with MechJeb 2.14.3.0-1152 above, followed the same process as the bulleted points above and then let the craft ascend under the SRBs (the central LVT engine doesn't throttle up as the ascent guidance fails to take control) and then let the craft fall and crash. Then I quit to main menu and closed the game. You can see the exceptions being thrown as soon as I open the Ascent Guidance GUI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zo47m3ew88gsf68/KSP.log?dl=0

OaZ0EjP.png

Edited by Poodmund

6 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I've been this having trouble with 2.14.3.0-1151 and 2.14.3.0-1152. 

This one is related to the PVG rewrite that Lamont is doing and I do not want to edit that code while he works on it...

Hello, I would like to use the aircraft autopilot of MechJeb2 in full IVA flights.

However, when I go in the MFD MechJeb2 menu, I only get these choices:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99gf6gofwulld8u/Capture d'écran 2023-03-15 101651.png?dl=0

I tried to click all buttons but I can't reach the aircraft autopilot menu.

Here are the logs if it can help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngvd6cmeqq11ogn/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Hippodingo said:

However, when I go in the MFD MechJeb2 menu, I only get these choices:

Mechjeb2 does not manage the MFD. If the aircraft autopilot is available in MJ menu but not in the MFD you need to check with the mods that adds the MFD (RasterPropMonitor)

Is there a way to uninstall this mod so it completely uninstalls? I mean no warnings on all your ships for missing parts? I am really new to KSP but if there are simple directions somewhere I would appreciate being pointed in that direction. 

I never added any of the mechjeb stuff so I dont really understand whats going on. They are all missing the mechjeb core. 

Is there a quick fix for this I can do? I only have a few ships I really would like to save. 

4 hours ago, Cuda418 said:

Is there a quick fix for this I can do? I only have a few ships I really would like to save.

Install the mod, and delete the dll. You will have the part but the mod will not be active

Hello, I seem to have discovered some form of incompatibility between MJ's PVG algorithm, and certain engines ... ?

Specifically, the RM-25-69 Cotopaxi from RocketMotorMenagerie will cause PVG to not activate the throttle. Note that this engine will work fine with Classic Ascent, but not PVG.

I realize outrageous claims require outrageous evidence, so I've included a video. What you will see in this video is the shuttle on the pad, I activate PVG, and the throttle stays at 0. Liftoff will happen with zero throttle. Next I switch to Classic, and you can see the throttle activates immediately. (Along with the other problem I have with Classic: watch the control inputs while still on the pad... this leads to horrible liftoffs).

I've tested this with a probe core, fuel tank, and the engine. PVG will not activate throttle, Classic will.  For comparison, the "Rainstorm" from reDirect works fine with either ascent mode.

Log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QcPaBe3on_hOlBfcEvMXzapTKOgr1ege/view?usp=share_link

Thanks for any feedback.

Spoiler

On 3/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Cuda418 said:

I never added any of the mechjeb stuff so I dont really understand whats going on. They are all missing the mechjeb core. 

Me too. This isn't a part mod... it shouldn't be messing with parts or craft files. At least it should only alter the craft file when it's loaded in the VAB/SPH. It's pushing the module on every single craft now. 

10 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

Me too. This isn't a part mod... it shouldn't be messing with parts or craft files. At least it should only alter the craft file when it's loaded in the VAB/SPH. It's pushing the module on every single craft now. 

If the game complains about the missing part then you used the AR-202 part. MJ does not add part to existing ships.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

If the game complains about the missing part then you used the AR-202 part. MJ does not add part to existing ships.

OK... hmmm. I didn't use that part. MJ was the last thing I removed, but maybe I didn't notice it before. Atmosphere Autopilot? I pulled that out a while ago. It's this:

Spoiler

HQcHGdy.png

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

IIRC, there *always* may have been a conflict when having AA *and* MJ installed at the same time? I cant remember, but I wouldnt be surprised.

That definitely isn't true. In fact, MJ recommends using AA instead of it's own aircraft autopilot.

18 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

yes, "SyncModuleControlSurface" is a module from Atmosphere Autopilot.

OK thanks. Sorry I'm complaining in the wrong place.

Spoiler

homer-simpson-homer.gif

17 hours ago, siimav said:

That definitely isn't true. In fact, MJ recommends using AA instead of it's own aircraft autopilot.

Honestly guys, I would avoid a mod that pushes something into all your saved craft files even without loading them. If you ever need to remove it for troubleshooting or whatever, all of the flight surface settings are reset... max deflection angle, axes disabled, deployed, deployed angle.  

I'm happy with Pilot Assistant, although I haven't tried to remove it. I like the UI more on PA and AA just didn't seem to engage sometimes. 

5 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

OK thanks. Sorry I'm complaining in the wrong place.

Reveal hidden contents

homer-simpson-homer.gif

Honestly guys, I would avoid a mod that pushes something into all your saved craft files even without loading them. If you ever need to remove it for troubleshooting or whatever, all of the flight surface settings are reset... max deflection angle, axes disabled, deployed, deployed angle.  

I'm happy with Pilot Assistant, although I haven't tried to remove it. I like the UI more on PA and AA just didn't seem to engage sometimes. 

Saved craft files are not altered by any mod as far as I know. There are some (afaik mechjeb included) that add modules to the ship when it gets loaded and is missing it. However it is modules. They do not prevent you from loading a craft file if the mod is missing. The modules just get removed.

So it might be that you are mixing up parts (something you see in the VAB as a part) and modules (something you might see in the properties of a part)? A craft file cannot be loaded with a part of a missing mod. And no, you do not have to rebuild the craft.
You can use tools to clean parts out of a save or craft file, like: https://github.com/ChrisDeadman/KSPPartRemover

Edited by chris-kerbal

39 minutes ago, Michel Bartolone said:

I don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for, but there is this:   

Thanks - I have seen that, it does something a little different by adjusting orbits in the tracking station. I'm on the lookout for something that performs the necessary adjustments to keep my craft X meters from my target.

Can I request a setting to make ascent guidance appear when launching a new vessel? Would be really useful instead of me closing the window after the ascent is done and then having to re-open it again every single time.

Adding onto that, could we have a setting to open any module on launching a new vessel?

Edited by Clayel

Hi, I've been having a problem with Mechjeb2 where feature set 3 doesn't unlock in science mode when I research the node it's associated with. I.E., I research the node that's supposed to unlock ascent, landing, and spaceplane autopilot modes, but they are still not available when I go to launch a vessel.

Help! I'm missing MechJeb windows even though I have the appropriate tech tree node UNLOCKED AND the MechJeb parts PURCHASED. I'm missing Maneuver Planner, Thrust Window, and RCS Balancer  

LOG: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvUWxjgM4SuQiNUxr6fgLVGfhxZ3ww?e=OucxPH

EDIT: I think the tracking station needs to be upgraded or something

Wkk3zPg.png

4HvRfZF.png

h4mXjVJ.png

Edited by Voodoo8648
I think I figured it out

10 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

EDIT: I think the tracking station needs to be upgraded or something

Yes, you need to upgrade it. The game code for node does not work if the station is not upgraded 

45 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Yes, you need to upgrade it. The game code for node does not work if the station is not upgraded 

i'm having a similar issue but in science mode, and not career mode. do you have to do something to upgrade your ground stations in science mode, or is there something I can do to mechjeb to recognize that my ground stations should already be upgraded, because it's science mode and not career mode?