[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I am having issues with having a MechJeb module automatically installed on all command modules. I am using KSP 1.12.1 with Ckan installed "MechJeb 2" and "MechJeb For All" mods. I have no directional control other than simple SAS on any command module. What should I be looking for to correct this?

Edited by strider3

Does anyone know of a way to only control the roll of a craft using Smart A.S.S?  Disabling the pitch and yaw for a specific mode (for example, surface negative velocity) only makes it so mechjeb won't go to that specific pitch and yaw, but it will still try to maintain the current pitch and yaw. How do I make it so that it only controls the roll, without touching anything else? (without manually disabling pitch and yaw actuation controls in the PAW for rcs)

13 minutes ago, Clayel said:

Does anyone know of a way to only control the roll of a craft using Smart A.S.S?  Disabling the pitch and yaw for a specific mode (for example, surface negative velocity) only makes it so mechjeb won't go to that specific pitch and yaw, but it will still try to maintain the current pitch and yaw. How do I make it so that it only controls the roll, without touching anything else? (without manually disabling pitch and yaw actuation controls in the PAW for rcs)

try the advanced option in Smart ASS. There are a lot of options.

18 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

try the advanced option in Smart ASS. There are a lot of options.

Sadly, there are only options to change the pitch and yaw of a craft, not only its roll. (at least, not that I know of)

11 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Is there a way to deactivate modules in mechjeb completely? I found some config to determine when a module is available, but is there a way to turn it off for good?

Found it in the global settings file. In the Plugin folder within GameData/Mechjeb2. You can activate / deactivate modules

2 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

What do you mean?

There's a "locked" field within many of the tool nodes in that config file.  Let me rephrase.  What field are you altering in the global settings file that changes the activation status of a MJ tool?

8 hours ago, Brigadier said:

There's a "locked" field within many of the tool nodes in that config file.  Let me rephrase.  What field are you altering in the global settings file that changes the activation status of a MJ tool?

Ah, now I get it. The locked field is only to lock the position (helpful for some general HUD) of the window on screen.

The one I use is "showInFlight" and "showInEditor" putting it to False removes it from the MechJeb drop down list either in flight mode or in VAB editing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everybody
I found a MechJeb error when calculating the operating time of Lynx engines when there is a shortage of oxidizer in the tanks. I tested the launch of a rocket into the orbit of Kerbin at a height of 80 km. with the MechJeb take-off assistant.   Image   

The error appears at the stage of calculating the rounding of the orbit. MechJeb does not take into account that there is not enough oxidizer and calculates the engine running time as if it is enough. 
The Lynx engine stalls at the most inopportune moment, and the two Nerve engines continue to work, but the thrust is no longer the same. Time is lost.
When calculating the burning time, the amount of oxidizer is not taken into account! I think so. Test crafting  by link or in the picture.
(I used a translator to translate into English :happy:)
PS. I proceeded from the following consideration that if a pilot in manual mode is able to put this ship into orbit with a delta V residue of more than 500 m/s, then MechJeb can do even better too.

Edited by Winter_Fox
to clarify

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Thanks - I have seen that, it does something a little different by adjusting orbits in the tracking station. I'm on the lookout for something that performs the necessary adjustments to keep my craft X meters from my target.

MechJeb, smart RCS, zero relative velocity?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem importing the new runway into the Aircraft Approach & Autoland feature, when I modified the data in landingsites.cfg about the location, name, etc of the runway, but they didn't work.

After my plane exploded with enabled "intelligent RCS", my console flooded:
[EXC 01:15:13.680] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, UnityEngine.Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MuMech.RCSSolver+Thruster]& thrustersOut) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (UnityEngine.Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MuMech.RCSSolver+Thruster]& thrusters) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (Vessel vessel) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.VesselState.Update (Vessel vessel) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.MechJebCore.OnFlyByWire (FlightCtrlState s) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    Vessel.FeedInputFeed () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Maybe u can reproduce the error easily. I was using stock space shuttle. Doesn't seem related to other mod. As soon i disabled the inteligent RCS it stopped flooding.

I feel like when mechjeb does maneuver, the RCS works "better" and uses more momentum, when i use the SAS and RCS manually it feels like it uses more RCS than necessary. I have nerfed my reaction wheels too. Any suggestion?

Edited by NaviG

2 hours ago, NaviG said:

After my plane exploded with enabled "intelligent RCS", my console flooded:
[EXC 01:15:13.680] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, UnityEngine.Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MuMech.RCSSolver+Thruster]& thrustersOut) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (UnityEngine.Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MuMech.RCSSolver+Thruster]& thrusters) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (Vessel vessel) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.VesselState.Update (Vessel vessel) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (FlightCtrlState s) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    MuMech.MechJebCore.OnFlyByWire (FlightCtrlState s) (at <cb8d3c2495c144eb8b8d29c0fe6fa4bb>:0)
    Vessel.FeedInputFeed () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Maybe u can reproduce the error easily. I was using stock space shuttle. Doesn't seem related to other mod. As soon i disabled the inteligent RCS it stopped flooding.

I feel like when mechjeb does maneuver, the RCS works "better" and uses more momentum, when i use the SAS and RCS manually it feels like it uses more RCS than necessary. I have nerfed my reaction wheels too. Any suggestion?

You need to provide the full log file, not just a snippit

HI.
I tested almost all DEV builds released after MechJeb2-2.14.3.0 and they were all not compatible with PersistentRotation.
As soon as any vehicle is launched the logs fill up with spam [EXC .....
To produce the logs you find below I have installed the minimum number of mods needed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BxeRYQMN6Uc648MpJ7TnDAj6byUuWM3B/view?usp=drive_link

Thank you.

The current dev code is undergoing a large refactoring so I am not surprised things broke. Please fill a GitHub issue and I will try to have a look when I am back from my travels.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found something strange with Mechjeb on a fresh install of KSP. Last version of KSP, mechjeb and Module Manager with CKAN.

The "Limit trust to" toggle on the Ascent Guidance Module does nothing. It doesn't limit the trust. However, "Limit acceleration to" works.

Any idea ?

Logs : https://eduetatfr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/maxime_mazzocato_edufr_ch/Ed-F6V6bXMNEpnCvhj7oLRcBrSFjDdvRhDeTdeHjHHCw0A?e=j0cfwU

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 4:58 PM, Lord_inter said:

So I have managed to get the windows to be glued up to the top left of the screen, is this a known issue or is one of my out of date mods breaking things? :(

You can just about see the tab up the absolute top left

https://imgur.com/a/Blx0Ugr

If I understand correctly:

1. Open MJ
  2. Open Settings
  3. Third from the bottom of the Settings window is a button that alters the placement of the MJ main window.  Click on it to cycle through the options.

Personally, I'd like to see that window be movable anywhere but for now you have only four possibilities.  Make it work with the rest of your screen.

If that doesn't work, perhaps restoring to factory defaults will return your position to, well, defaults and you can proceed from there.

I'm pretty consistently these days getting failures in return from a moon, generally in pretty benign cases. I used to do this fine all the time. Mostly just because it is boring to do it by hand - easy, but repetitive. Recently came back to KSP after being off for a while, and I'm getting this with the recent McJeb2 dev versions. Attached log file (assuming I managed to do that right) is a case from a nearly circular low-inclination mun orbit at 30 km altitude. Log file says "DeltaVToChangeApsis() no feasible solution found".  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryxn6jui09rlm8e/Player.log?dl=0