[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

on #683 my saving issue on the custom windows seems to be because the preset is set for flight and not editor... 
Bit of a "d'oh" moment here...

Picked up 684 will try tonight

EDIT: Is it normal that titles of custom windows made from presets can't be edited ? cursor moves around but text doesn'T change (still in 683)

Edited by Mokmo

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Do you get the save problem with #684 ?

Just tried #684. Initially, in the VAB I had access to the dV and Vessel Info windows. I launched my craft, realized I had a design flaw and reverted to the VAB. This time I again had NO access to the dV and Vessel Info windows. When I went to the launch pad to launch my revised vessel, all my prior windows appeared back in the upper left corner again.

8 hours ago, dlrk said:

I'd like to understand this a bit better. Trajectorie's calculates the trajectory live without a frame rate issue, and people have written KOS scripts that use the Trajectories API for landings. What keeps MJ from doing the same thing?

The point is those mods use a lot of very complicated code to do what they do. Replicating it without outright copying it would involve more man hours of work than is reasonable for such a small feature. And copying it without the other mod authors permission is a very big no no.

TLDR: it's not that it can't be done,  it's that it represents a ridiculous resource investment to do.

Is anyone else having issues with the transfer to another planet function (simple, not advanced) returning an error when directed to create the node?  Everything was working perfectly until about a week ago.  I added no new mods.  Updated to latest dev build, same problem.  Did a fresh install of KSP, same problem.  This was the first thing I tried to do after the re-install (I imported my saves) so the log is fairly small.  I believe I've narrowed it down to the relevant portion, but if more is needed just say so and I'll set up a dropbox account...

Spoiler

[LOG 19:29:07.184] Unpacking Interplanetary Explorer Mk2
[EXC 19:29:17.239] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MuMech.OrbitExtensions.SwappedOrbitNormal (.Orbit o)
    MuMech.OrbitExtensions.RelativeInclination (.Orbit a, .Orbit b)
    MuMech.OperationInterplanetaryTransfer.MakeNodeImpl (.Orbit o, Double UT, MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController target)
    MuMech.Operation.MakeNode (.Orbit o, Double universalTime, MuMech.MechJebModuleTargetController target)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    MuMech.Operation:MakeNode(Orbit, Double, MechJebModuleTargetController)
    MuMech.MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner:WindowGUI(Int32)
    MuMech.DisplayModule:ProfiledWindowGUI(Int32)
    UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)
[LOG 19:29:30.688] IR: [ServoController] OnVesselUnloaded, v=Midlands

Try changing the conics mode, happens somtimes. Had that issue while running my DER mission, it would keep losing the target resulting in the node auto deleting resulting in having to start again.

Just now, Carl said:

Try changing the conics mode, happens somtimes. Had that issue while running my DER mission, it would keep losing the target resulting in the node auto deleting resulting in having to start again.

Oooh, now that you mention it, I did just change my conics setting.  But that was from the old install...  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Carl said:

The point is those mods use a lot of very complicated code to do what they do. Replicating it without outright copying it would involve more man hours of work than is reasonable for such a small feature. And copying it without the other mod authors permission is a very big no no.

TLDR: it's not that it can't be done,  it's that it represents a ridiculous resource investment to do.

You can literally call the trajectorie's API and get an orbit, an impact position, or whatever. People have done it in kOS.

8 hours ago, LameLefty said:

Just tried #684. Initially, in the VAB I had access to the dV and Vessel Info windows. I launched my craft, realized I had a design flaw and reverted to the VAB. This time I again had NO access to the dV and Vessel Info windows. When I went to the launch pad to launch my revised vessel, all my prior windows appeared back in the upper left corner again.

I confirm the bug.

I use 3 overlay locked windows in flight and when I go to flight mode they are all still locked but all are in upper left corner and no longer set to overlay. I'm using #684 from CKAN. Windows positions are not stored for VAB either.

EDIT: I've just looked at mechjeb_settings_global.cfg and compared to the file from stable MJ version. There are two entries missing in the new one in custom window section compared to old one: windowVector and windowVectorEditor. It seems that MJ stopped saving these values (and maybe some more) to cfg files.

Edited by Raphaello

1 hour ago, Raphaello said:

EDIT: I've just looked at mechjeb_settings_global.cfg and compared to the file from stable MJ version. There are two entries missing in the new one in custom window section compared to old one: windowVector and windowVectorEditor. It seems that MJ stopped saving these values (and maybe some more) to cfg files.

are you sure you are on #684 ?

8 hours ago, Carl said:

The license perfectly allow for it. And I am fairly sure I provided them some code and/or help when the new Aero got out (too long ago for me to bother searching)

4 hours ago, dlrk said:

You can literally call the trajectorie's API and get an orbit, an impact position, or whatever. People have done it in kOS.

Ok... that will be the last time I reply to this. I WILL NOT add an external dependency. I could have a look at performance of doing it out of thread at one point but I have way higher priorities to handle before that.

Now, as you said "it wouldn't be extremely difficult, but I'm no expert. ". So fell free to provide the code change.

3 hours ago, sarbian said:

are you sure you are on #684 ?

I have removed MechJeb completely (from CKAN and then deleted folder) and installed DEV #684 build again from CKAN. I went to my ship and set up orbit window to my liking:

Spoiler

ivpAPw5.jpg

I went to tracking station and then back to my ship:

Spoiler

TUUKUIz.jpg

My orbit window is not overlayed and is back to upper left corner. Here's a part from cfg:

MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor
{
	itemCategory = Orbit
	locked = False
	enabledEditor = False
	enabledFlight = False
	MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow
	{
		title = Orbit Info
		isCompact = True
		backgroundColor = 0,0,0,0.346491218
		text = 1,1,0,1
		locked = True
		enabledFlight = True
		enabledEditor = False
		items
		{
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.speedOrbital
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitApA
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitPeA
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitPeriod
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitTimeToAp
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitTimeToPe
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitInclination
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.orbitEccentricity
			}
			InfoItem
			{
				id = Value:VesselState.angleToPrograde
			}
		}
	}

18 hours ago, sarbian said:

I could have a look at performance of doing it out of thread at one point but I have way higher priorities to handle before that.

Curious if you have a roadmap for what your priorities are. Love MJ, curious about where you plan on taking it. 

Edited by Basto

1)  Feature request:  Fine tune closest approach in the rendezvous planner.  (It probably should also exist in the auto rendezvous but I don't use that.)  It should follow the Hohmann burn option.  With low energy burns the Hohmann burn simply isn't accurate enough at times, I've seen errors as great as 8km high above Minmus.  The function as it exists in the maneuver planner is fine except the units should be in m instead of km.

2)  Feature request:  Low energy "get closer" in the rendezvous planner.  The current option can be exceedingly overpowered, I can often get there for a small fraction of the Δv by simply pointing my nose at the target and going to minimum thrust until the closest approach drops acceptably low.

3)  Bug.  The logs show nothing.  Rockets that used to work are autostaging inappropriately, immediately upon ignition of a stage after the previous stage came off.  I suspect an interaction with RealChute and indirectly with Stage Recovery as I have only witnessed this when the stage that came off has chutes that will not deploy under the current flight conditions and it only started when I installed RealChute and switched the rockets to using the better chutes it offers.

35 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

3)  Bug.  The logs show nothing.  Rockets that used to work are autostaging inappropriately, immediately upon ignition of a stage after the previous stage came off.  I suspect an interaction with RealChute and indirectly with Stage Recovery as I have only witnessed this when the stage that came off has chutes that will not deploy under the current flight conditions and it only started when I installed RealChute and switched the rockets to using the better chutes it offers.

As laid out in the first post, you still need to post the logs to expect any effective help.  You haven't stated when you're using autostaging in Ascent Guidance or the Utilities window as well as all the mods you have, information that can be determined from the logs, if they were posted.  You also haven't given a simple example case of how to recreate the bug nor whether you tried to recreate it without other mods installed.  There's a lot of good information in the topic linked on the word logs in the first post (and here too) that could help determine what is causing the bug.

Using build 2.6.0.0-685.

dV readouts on VAB are strange - when I attached new stage, it recalculates dV amount for upper stages as if it ignores decouplers of something (nothing unusual, simple vertical rocket). KER shows normal calculation at the same time. Any ideas (besides stopping using untested dev builds :) )?

Temporarily fixed by changing root to other part then changing it back + reattaching all those lower stages, dV came back to normal and corresponds to KER. Really strange anyway, though, only guess so far is that I used rerooting at early stages of building, even before attaching first stage (I've made station module, then made a tug, selected tug's pod as root, then detached and attached module, which was "above" tug in VAB, maybe is misguided calculation somehow).

Edited by Mystique

12 hours ago, Carl said:

Your not using multistage xenon are you?

Not a drop of it on this craft, just some monoprop+LFO. Also noticed that I had a docking port (used as decoupler between return pod and attached station module) staged, it also cause dV miscalculation in flight (MJ calculated MJ and if this stage must've been immediately dropped, unlike KER; was solved by putting docking port stage in top of list, i.e. even above chutes). Still think it was caused by rerooting (and also by flipping initial root parts upside down), will test on other crafts.

7 minutes ago, Mystique said:

Not a drop of it on this craft, just some monoprop+LFO. Also noticed that I had a docking port (used as decoupler between return pod and attached station module) staged, it also cause dV miscalculation in flight (MJ calculated MJ and if this stage must've been immediately dropped, unlike KER; was solved by putting docking port stage in top of list, i.e. even above chutes). Still think it was caused by rerooting (and also by flipping initial root parts upside down), will test on other crafts.

Ok. Just thought i'd ask as xenon does not respect crossfeed settings making multi-stage xenons impossible.