[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

On 7/6/2017 at 5:56 AM, Gordon Dry said:

@drhay53:
Check the folder GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2\

There are ship-related configs and the mechjeb_settings_global.cfg

Thanks for pointing out where they're stored, but what I really mean is, why do they sometimes get saved as a default and sometimes not? It feels totally random.

I'd like to suggest 2 things for the MechJeb Pod:

1. Ability to hold crew, though not necessarily require any. (I would like at least 4, for all the orange suits)
  2. The ability to lift its own weight on Kerbin, and preferably Eve too. (And having the same efficiency as before would be nice too)

Thank you for reading, and I hope my suggestions will be taken into consideration.

(Oh and by the way, for me, the Pod can be found in the "Filter by module" in advanced mode, and not in "Pods" in "Filter by function". It would be a lot more convenient if it was in the "Pods" tab.)

I've been running MechJeb since I first started playing KSP a few years ago and there are still 2 things I don't know about landing guidance.

1) can you add items to the target list that has KSC Pad and VAB in there

2) A while ago you used to be able to tune down your landing distance to target.  I used to be able to make pinpoint landings on the roof of the VAB from orbit using just Mechjeb.  Recently, I'm lucky if I'm 900 meters away.  Is there any way to tune the landing variation back down again?

Is there a way to make the modules os MechJeb not part dependent, but pilot skill dependent?

I mean, MechJeb only when pilots are onboard, at each level, a new module is available for that pilot.

1 hour ago, oryon said:

Is there a way to make the modules os MechJeb not part dependent, but pilot skill dependent?

I mean, MechJeb only when pilots are onboard, at each level, a new module is available for that pilot.

Interesting idea--use the higher of the unlocked capabilities or the pilot skill capabilities.  Note, however, that it's not going to make a big difference as it's pretty hard to get high skill pilots without having unlocked much of the tree.

On 10-7-2017 at 7:08 AM, Teilnehmer said:

Is the KSP 1.3 release compatible with KSP 1.2.2 without recompiling?

Have you tried it yourself yet? No? Why not do that first and you'll have your answer.
If it doesn't work simply remove the mod. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

2 hours ago, oryon said:

As @Loren Pechtel said: 'interesting idea', but not exactly a new one. This got suggested very soon after the crew skills where introduced. Sadly this is still not an option.

37 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

however, that it's not going to make a big difference as it's pretty hard to get high skill pilots without having unlocked much of the tree.

I have to disagree. A 3 star pilot has full control. All you need to do for 3 stars is:

1. Kerbin orbit.
  2. A flag on either Minmus or Mun.
  3. A fly-by of Minmus or Mun (depending of where you did NOT plant a flag).
  4. Solar orbit. (Just pop out an in of Kerbins SOI).

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

Have you tried it yourself yet? No? Why not do that first and you'll have your answer.
If it doesn't work simply remove the mod. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

As @Loren Pechtel said: 'interesting idea', but not exactly a new one. This got suggested very soon after the crew skills where introduced. Sadly this is still not an option.

I have to disagree. A 3 star pilot has full control. All you need to do for 3 stars is:

1. Kerbin orbit.
  2. A flag on either Minmus or Mun.
  3. A fly-by of Minmus or Mun (depending of where you did NOT plant a flag).
  4. Solar orbit. (Just pop out an in of Kerbins SOI).

Which isn't the top-level MechJeb capabilities.  The ascent/landing/docking stuff should be at higher skill levels.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Which isn't the top-level MechJeb capabilities.  The ascent/landing/docking stuff should be at higher skill levels.

True. But it is not that hard to get lvl4 or even 5 pilots before you unlock ANY of those features in MechJeb.
So your statement of not having highly skilled pilots before unlocking much of the techtree is still moot.

13 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

True. But it is not that hard to get lvl4 or even 5 pilots before you unlock ANY of those features in MechJeb.
So your statement of not having highly skilled pilots before unlocking much of the techtree is still moot.

How?  That means interplanetary voyages and the MechJeb unlocks are in there with the science.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:56 PM, Grand Ship Builder said:

(Oh and by the way, for me, the Pod can be found in the "Filter by module" in advanced mode, and not in "Pods" in "Filter by function". It would be a lot more convenient if it was in the "Pods" tab.)

Sarbian removed  it from the list because  it isn't supported anymore. Parts of it are broken and cannot be repaired at this time.  

So, I'm experiencing an oddity vis-a-vis Apoapsis/Periapsis times. Have searched this thread and the GitHub issues tracker, and don't appear to have come across a solution (or even a mention of the problem), so here it is.

I've noticed when on an escape trajectory from/around a body, that the Time to Apoapsis AND the Time to Periapsis show "Inf"... most of the time. Take the following example.

1. Depart Kerbin for Mun, free-return trajectory (still in Kerbin SOI): Times shown for both A and P
  2. Enter Mun SOI (on flyby/escape trajectory): "Inf" shown for both A and P
  3. Reduce velocity to almost-orbit (still on Mun escape trajectory): Times shown for both A and P
  4. Enter orbit of Mun: Times shown for both A and P
  5. Break orbit around Mun for Kerbin atmo entry (before reaching P, so that a P still exists): "Inf" shown for both A and P

Note: While accellerating out of Mun orbit, I noticed that while I had achieved escape velocity, it wasn't until my A showed something on the order of Gm to Tm (terrameters) that it would switch from showing a time to showing "Inf" for both A and P.

Currently I am running KSP 1.2.2 x64 with MechJeb2_2.6.0.0-698. I first noticed this in my heavily modded install, so I tested it in a fresh install with only MechJeb2 and a MM patch to apply MechJeb to all command pods and probes, and I experienced the same.

Previously I had run KSP 1.0.4 with MechJeb2 2.5.3.0 and don't recall experiencing this issue.

Let me know if any more info (logs, screenshots) would be helpful in chasing this down, or if it would be helpful to open an issue on GitHub.

1 hour ago, akardam said:

So, I'm experiencing an oddity vis-a-vis Apoapsis/Periapsis times. Have searched this thread and the GitHub issues tracker, and don't appear to have come across a solution (or even a mention of the problem), so here it is.

I've noticed when on an escape trajectory from/around a body, that the Time to Apoapsis AND the Time to Periapsis show "Inf"... most of the time. Take the following example.

1. Depart Kerbin for Mun, free-return trajectory (still in Kerbin SOI): Times shown for both A and P
  2. Enter Mun SOI (on flyby/escape trajectory): "Inf" shown for both A and P
  3. Reduce velocity to almost-orbit (still on Mun escape trajectory): Times shown for both A and P
  4. Enter orbit of Mun: Times shown for both A and P
  5. Break orbit around Mun for Kerbin atmo entry (before reaching P, so that a P still exists): "Inf" shown for both A and P

Note: While accellerating out of Mun orbit, I noticed that while I had achieved escape velocity, it wasn't until my A showed something on the order of Gm to Tm (terrameters) that it would switch from showing a time to showing "Inf" for both A and P.

Currently I am running KSP 1.2.2 x64 with MechJeb2_2.6.0.0-698. I first noticed this in my heavily modded install, so I tested it in a fresh install with only MechJeb2 and a MM patch to apply MechJeb to all command pods and probes, and I experienced the same.

Previously I had run KSP 1.0.4 with MechJeb2 2.5.3.0 and don't recall experiencing this issue.

Let me know if any more info (logs, screenshots) would be helpful in chasing this down, or if it would be helpful to open an issue on GitHub.

I've seen such data before and I think what's going on is that you are not actually on an escape trajectory.  Rather, you are in orbit but the orbit goes outside the SOI of the body in question so you would not actually complete the orbit.

When using MJ with Remote Tech, the scripting module will not execute a pre-programmed script if there is no connection to the KSC which defeats the scripting module's purpose. 

Is there a way to fix this so the scripting module acts on the ship locally without needing a communication connection (without enabling full MJ control)?

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 7:37 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

I've seen such data before and I think what's going on is that you are not actually on an escape trajectory.  Rather, you are in orbit but the orbit goes outside the SOI of the body in question so you would not actually complete the orbit.

OK, picture worth a thousand words.

KSP 1.0.4, MechJeb2 2.5.3.0:

72k9TMe.png

KSP 1.2.2 MechJeb2 2.6.0.0 Build 698

PI92ME2.png

Both tests were started in an approx 100km orbit of the Mun, and burned to about the same velocity and about the same direction. In the 2nd pic, mousing over the periapsis marker clearly shows you the time-to, but MechJeb doesn't, whereas in the first pic, it does (and as I remember it used to).

Hope this helps...

On 7/14/2017 at 9:15 PM, akardam said:

OK, picture worth a thousand words.

KSP 1.0.4, MechJeb2 2.5.3.0:

72k9TMe.png

KSP 1.2.2 MechJeb2 2.6.0.0 Build 698

PI92ME2.png

Both tests were started in an approx 100km orbit of the Mun, and burned to about the same velocity and about the same direction. In the 2nd pic, mousing over the periapsis marker clearly shows you the time-to, but MechJeb doesn't, whereas in the first pic, it does (and as I remember it used to).

Hope this helps...

Note that the info that it was displaying is obviously bogus.  Suppressing it was the right thing for him to do.

46 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Note that the info that it was displaying is obviously bogus.  Suppressing it was the right thing for him to do.

Orbital period and time to ap were meaningless and rightfully removed but time to Pe was correct and useful and personally I'd like to see it return.

Hi, im going to try the new horizons planet pack for a new play through and im wondering will mechjeb work with this pack? although i can plot many of the maneuvers myself i find it a bit faster and more realistic to allow mechjeb to plot them ( you dont think astronauts plot course corrections and burns themselves do you ? )  

On 7/13/2017 at 2:25 PM, Gordon Dry said:

This is exactly what it says it is. A build for KSP 1.2, mainly targeted at the RO/RSS users.

I will try to keep it up to date with the dev branch. The main problem with that is that the build number are currently different...

For now it has all the last ascent AP improvement from Lamont. That should please all RSS users.

@doctruscott I'm using New Horizons on my current career. I'm using Mechjeb (and lots of other mods) with no issue.  I've plotted transfers ascents and landings so far.  I have yet to try the landing guidance on anything but Kerbin and the Mun but so far I've had no Mechjeb issues.

@sarbian for President!