[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

The new landing bug from 1.3.1 should be fixed in the dev build. I do not really have much time to look into any of my mods ATM (lot of work and I need something a bit less intellectual to relax) so you ll have to hope that some of the other contributors have more time.

11 minutes ago, sarbian said:

The new landing bug from 1.3.1 should be fixed in the dev build. I do not really have much time to look into any of my mods ATM (lot of work and I need something a bit less intellectual to relax) so you ll have to hope that some of the other contributors have more time.

In your own time. Life is a lot more important than unpaid game mod work. :)

is there any way, in the porkchop selection with advanced transfer to another planet, to select a specific spot on the graph and then use that as the settigns for the maneuver node?  because i only see options for using ASAP and lowest delta-V 

Edited by 123nick

2 hours ago, 123nick said:

is there any way, in the porkchop selection with advanced transfer to another planet, to select a specific spot on the graph and then use that as the settigns for the maneuver node?  because i only see options for using ASAP and lowest delta-V 

Yes.Put mouse cursor on the graph where you want to make your transfer and click on it(you'll see the change on dv),then use create node or create and execute.

17 minutes ago, sebi.zzr said:

Yes.Put mouse cursor on the graph where you want to make your transfer and click on it(you'll see the change on dv),then use create node or create and execute.

i tried that, didnt work, but maybe i did it wrong. it would change as i moved my mouse over the graph, but maybe thats just displaying.

1 hour ago, 123nick said:

i tried that, didnt work, but maybe i did it wrong. it would change as i moved my mouse over the graph, but maybe thats just displaying.

Like i said,you need to click it.After you remove mouse cursor from the graph it will display the dv you clicked.

Sarbian posted: The new landing bug from 1.3.1 should be fixed in the dev build.

Build #745. Well... yes and no...

It's not twisting around looking for the correct vector like it was before. Now, it just pops into warp to get to the plane change location, and never pops out again. 'Round-n-round she goes, when she stops, nobody knows...'

Edited by BARCLONE
Needed to ID the build...

16 hours ago, BARCLONE said:

Sarbian posted: The new landing bug from 1.3.1 should be fixed in the dev build.

Build #745. Well... yes and no...

It's not twisting around looking for the correct vector like it was before. Now, it just pops into warp to get to the plane change location, and never pops out again. 'Round-n-round she goes, when she stops, nobody knows...'

Yep

A little more information:

in 1.3.0 and 1.3.1, build 745 will not start any burns to start the landing process. But,if you start manually and are about half way to the surface and select land anywhere, it works fine. It seems to be the beginning part that is not working.

in 1.3.0, build 741 works with non atmosphere landings and Land at Target is accurate.

In 1.3.1, there is no build that will land accurately at a target going back to build 734. The deorbit burn is off by around 90 degrees.

Hope this helps.

For 1.3.1, in the meantime (build 745), I've found I can use the Landing Guidance window's Show Landing Predictions option, pick a target but do a manual de-orbit burn and line up the red and blue cross-hairs manually (Smart A.S.S. - prograde/retrograde to slide it left and right, +Normal/-Normal to move it up/down, assuming you're going for something near-ish the equator with a relatively 0 degree inclination orbit). Then coast down a ways and Land Somewhere, and it winds up reasonably close to the target.

Just tried #747 on an airless moon landing. It was excellent, landed within 300mm of target.  There was still the hiccup at the plane change point that did not restart the warp to the low orbit burn point, but that's really minor. Thanks very much for the fix.

55 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Just tried #747 on an airless moon landing. It was excellent, landed within 300mm of target.  There was still the hiccup at the plane change point that did not restart the warp to the low orbit burn point, but that's really minor. Thanks very much for the fix.

I'll confirm the fix worked on my Linux machine. The landing was, indeed, very close to the target. Closer than in previous builds. I use NavHud so I can see things, and the two indicators remained aligned one-over-the-other right up until the 500m horizontal-motion-kill point. Very nice!

I had no issues with the warp this time. Even picking a landing target that forced one additional complete orbit performed without a hitch. Only hiccup I see, and I've seen it now for many builds, is the gear not extending correctly. Not a show stopper, though...

I read back 3 pages and only saw one reference to what it happening in my 1.3.1 game. Using Ascent Guidance, craft stages as it should and throttles up but next stage engine does not activate. I am using only stock engines in a Windows install. Yes I have staging checked. I've even tried adjusting the timing.

Also I have build #747, landing guidance set to target KSC still doesn't come close, though for me it undershot instead of overshooting like with earlier build. Which makes sense as I noticed the engine burning through most of the atmosphere descent.

One the positive side, I've manually landed on Mun a few times since updating to 1.3.1 :)

Edited by Red Shirt

10 hours ago, Commissar said:

uhh... did you guys touch the docking AP? seems to have trouble now... lots of overcorrecting, and it exceeds my max speed, by about 1.5 m/s

Not new...that's been an issue for a while now.

4 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

I read back 3 pages and only saw one reference to what it happening in my 1.3.1 game. Using Ascent Guidance, craft stages as it should and throttles up but next stage engine does not activate. I am using only stock engines in a Windows install. Yes I have staging checked. I've even tried adjusting the timing.

Also I have build #747, landing guidance set to target KSC still doesn't come close, though for me it undershot instead of overshooting like with earlier build. Which makes sense as I noticed the engine burning through most of the atmosphere descent.

One the positive side, I've manually landed on Mun a few times since updating to 1.3.1 :)

antenna?

3 hours ago, Gilph said:

Not new...that's been an issue for a while now.

huh. it was working beautifully about 6 months ago... maybe i just need more RCS units?

D75C79824B7903E615120AE94FB56C4D06735580

Edited by Commissar

I have a somewhat annoying problem with MechJeb/Smart A.S.S. With some of my vessel designs, if i tell it to point in a certain direction and fire the engines, it starts to oscillate on the yaw and pitch axis. The oscillation gets worse over time, and you can actually see in the bottom left corner how it tries to correct and 'overshoots'.  The odd thing is that stock SAS has no problem with the design and doesn´t oscillate. Is this a known thing? I tried both the stable and dev versions, no change...

BFepF6v.png?1

I'm still using the June version, and I had that oscillation problem while trying to land a small probe on Tylo. Stock SAS kept the craft stable during descent, but under MechJeb it waggled out of control. The problem seems to be worst on very small and very large craft; medium-size craft seem to do OK.

3 minutes ago, Catbus said:

I'm still using the June version, and I had that oscillation problem while trying to land a small probe on Tylo. Stock SAS kept the craft stable during descent, but under MechJeb it waggled out of control. The problem seems to be worst on very small and very large craft; medium-size craft seem to do OK.

possibly related to the issues with over-correction on docking ap, i wonder?

3 minutes ago, Commissar said:

possibly related to the issues with over-correction on docking ap, i wonder?

The problems I'm talking about take place under Ascent Guidance and Landing Assist. Docking Autopilot has been working perfectly for me, actually.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the problems with large craft have all been during Ascent, and the problems with small craft have all been during Landing.

Edited by Catbus

Just now, Catbus said:

The problems I'm talking about take place under Ascent Guidance and Landing Assist. Docking Autopilot has been working perfectly for me, actually.

huh. i've had several (heavy) craft, where the docking AP goes batexcrements crazy, and exceeds the speed limit I set... despite working just fine about 6 mos ago