[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Hey Sarbian o/ Hoope things are going well :)

I'd like to ask if there is a possibility to increase the FlightRecorder's storage size / time limit it records? I get that it works well for stock scales and durations but I'd love to stretch it a little for RSS/RO and low thrust uppers taking ~15 minutes to get into orbit. Unfortunately the rest is cut and I can never get a complete picture inside of the MJ window. 

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Theysen said:

Hey Sarbian o/ Hoope things are going well :)

I'd like to ask if there is a possibility to increase the FlightRecorder's storage size / time limit it records? I get that it works well for stock scales and durations but I'd love to stretch it a little for RSS/RO and low thrust uppers taking ~15 minutes to get into orbit. Unfortunately the rest is cut and I can never get a complete picture inside of the MJ window. 

Cheers!

I have been doing better but I am getting there :)

I pushed a new dev with that added. Find the GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2\mechjeb_settings_global.cfg file and edit it. In the MechJebModuleFlightRecorder section add a historySize and set it to whatever you need (it will be created on MJ first save if not already there). You also have a precision (default 0.2). The default history is 3000 x 0.2 = 600s

Edited by sarbian

I've read a lot about the landing bug and docking issues with 1.3.1 and MechJeb but has anyone else had issues with ascent guidance where the rocket seamlessly starts spinning aimlessly?  Some stock rockets will start almost right after liftoff, others will start doing it shortly after reaching "space" and spin and rotate for the circularization burn but never actually get aimed correctly.

Some stock rockets launch and orbit fine, were other stock rockets just start doing their own thing like there is SAS or control systems.

Edited by styckx

2 hours ago, styckx said:

I've read a lot about the landing bug and docking issues with 1.3.1 and MechJeb but has anyone else had issues with ascent guidance where the rocket seamlessly starts spinning aimlessly?  Some stock rockets will start almost right after liftoff, others will start doing it shortly after reaching "space" and spin and rotate for the circularization burn but never actually get aimed correctly.

The negative inclination circularization bug was fixed in the dev builds here:  https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/898

1 hour ago, Jim DiGriz said:

The negative inclination circularization bug was fixed in the dev builds here:  https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/pull/898

I always use dev builds. Here is a video example of what I mean. Even did a modless fresh install.  Rocket launches fine, ascends fine, gravity turn fine, then once it gets to the coasting and circularization phase it completely freaks out.. I disabled ascent guidance to show SAS indeed works but soon as I engage ascent guidance again the craft freaks out again.

Other stock rockets will exhibit this behavior during initial ascent. Some work flawlessly, others like this don't.. I haven't found the common denominator yet.

Completely stock using dev build 751.. It's been doing this for many dev builds now.

Edited by styckx

12 hours ago, styckx said:

I always use dev builds. Here is a video example of what I mean. Even did a modless fresh install.  Rocket launches fine, ascends fine, gravity turn fine, then once it gets to the coasting and circularization phase it completely freaks out.. I disabled ascent guidance to show SAS indeed works but soon as I engage ascent guidance again the craft freaks out again.

Other stock rockets will exhibit this behavior during initial ascent. Some work flawlessly, others like this don't.. I haven't found the common denominator yet.

Completely stock using dev build 751.. It's been doing this for many dev builds now.

your issue is you cut the fairing too early, too much front drag.. set it to 65k or so and you wont have that problem.

Edited by aaronsta1

Anybody else having issues with Ascent Guidance pitch bobbing?  It's a non-issue on smaller single stage rockets for me but as I move up to heavier craft it eventually throws them out of control, especially if I enable roll climb and the craft has to do any kind of rolling.  I just reinstalled KSP and only had MJ installed with this occurring, I don't recall this being an issue like....a year ago when I was last into the game.  It's like MJ is calculating flight surface adjustments too slowly causing it to over-compensate.

KSP Global Warming for your time.

7LypFBC.jpg

46 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Anybody else having issues with Ascent Guidance pitch bobbing?  It's a non-issue on smaller single stage rockets for me but as I move up to heavier craft it eventually throws them out of control, especially if I enable roll climb and the craft has to do any kind of rolling.  I just reinstalled KSP and only had MJ installed with this occurring, I don't recall this being an issue like....a year ago when I was last into the game.  It's like MJ is calculating flight surface adjustments too slowly causing it to over-compensate.

KSP Global Warming for your time.

7LypFBC.jpg

Sudden flashbacks to the opening of 'Waterworld'. Someone call the Kerbal version of Kevin Costner (Costner Kerman?)

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I don't have this with most of my rockets, just occasionally if I get the aerodynamics wrong, ie too much payload fairing at the front. One reason you may be getting it for the first time is that Squad changed the aerodynamic model to make the air less soupy, so rockets which would launch well once upon a time need some adjusting. It might help if you showed us a few piccies of rockets which don't launch well.

In the meantime, try setting the Limit AoA to a small number of degrees, and it can also help to reduce the gimbal range on your first stage engines. Most stock engines have way to much gimbal range, so MechJeb is constantly trying to make small adjustments to attitude and finding it is over-adjusting because of the excess gimballing of the engines. It then tries and correct for that - and gets an over-correction! If the Rocket isn't stable enough then that is a positive feedback loop that leads to total loss of control.

On 11/10/2017 at 5:07 PM, styckx said:

That doesn't look like a guidance problem, that looks like a rocket design problem.

You're still in the atmosphere so still subjected to aerodynamic forces, and your fins are too small to stabilize that rocket.  It also looks like you have no control authority on them, and you don't have any SAS / not enough SAS.

Initially since you've only got one engine you also have no roll authority so it rocks around its axis and you can see MJ pinning the roll control trying to fix it.  Then when the engine stops, it loses pitch and yaw control and then the aerodynamic forces build up as AoA increases and then it tumbles.

You can override what MJ does at any time by whacking on the WASDQE keys yourself.  If they're basically nonresponsive for you, there isn't much mechjeb can do either.  Just not enough torque and too much inertia and too much aero forces.

(Its been a long time since I played stock, but I don't see a 1.25m SAS part on there, so you're likely getting some miniscule amount of SAS control from whatever probe core is in that satellite and it's not enough torque for that whole rocket)

Edited by Jim DiGriz

i am getting a crash to desktop when i launch about 1 out of 10 times.. unfortunately the game crashes straight to desktop and doesn't make any log files.

i do have one log file in my folder from yesterday.. it shows this about 100 times.

[MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Crash!!!

i am using KSPI-E and most of the time mechjeb shows 0 dv.. i think this is the error, but im not sure this is what is crashing the game?

On 11/12/2017 at 4:13 PM, aaronsta1 said:

i am getting a crash to desktop when i launch about 1 out of 10 times.. unfortunately the game crashes straight to desktop and doesn't make any log files.

<snip>

i am using KSPI-E and most of the time mechjeb shows 0 dv.. i think this is the error, but im not sure this is what is crashing the game?

You haven't supplied much information, such as KSP and MechJeb versions, KSP 64-bit/32-bit, other installed mods, OS, etc., on which to work.  Read this thread and see if following these instructions helps you provide more data:

How To Get Support (READ FIRST) - Technical Support (PC, modded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums

I kinda doubt there are no logs.  When KSP crashes again, post a link to your output_log.txt file that you've uploaded to a file sharing service (see those instructions above).  This behaviour is sometimes indicative of your running out of memory, but until you post a log, it's hard to say.

Does this happen when you create a KSP install with only MechJeb?

Edited by Brigadier

So I am running my Dukes Jalopy through a challenge and using the Rover Autopilot to drive there. I am having an issue where I stoped and saved my progress after 35 minutes or so but when I loaded the savegame to continue my journey MechJeb is not accessible ... as in there is no MJ button nor the menu dropdown located at the top right of the screen

I am wondering if this is a known issue

Spoiler

What has happened is I saved my progress from last night and when I loaded the savegame my roadster didn't have MJ access anymore ... I tested to see if MJ would load if I launched a craft with the AR202 on it and MJ loaded fine but when I switched to the Dukes Jalopy it didn't have MJ anymore

Just thought I'd bring this to your attention if it wasn't already known (kinda a bummer, but c'est la vie)

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

That's odd because my rover is driving on Duna right now, I've made multiple saves and reloads (terrain collider mismatch) but I haven't observed this.

It is odd ... What is more odd is that I removed and then reinstalled MJ and it works now (I must have borked something :rolleyes:)

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

By the way, a small feature request. Could be fantastic for racing.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/842

I've actually been thinking about this ... also about a master switch for brakes on all craft so we can run drag races

I'm hoping to be able to have 2 challengers able to run their cars through a course side by side ... Still working on it

I have some trouble with an ascent guidance, I used to use just "Target Marker" without autopilot, to control by myself throttle, sas, etc manually, but with one of the latest dev release, this functionality stop working(on 1.3.1). It works ok when everything is on "autopilot", but when partially enabled the marker does not updates it's position and stays in center.

Edited by Andrey.gr

Hi All,

The landing module, I tell it to land at the space centre and it lands the other side of the planet. I give it coordinates and it lands about 1Mm off target. Is anyone aware of the adjustment factor to be applied to get it to land within a load shout of where I wish it to?