[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

I have tested this for long time. It is mystery for me. Yes ... it is a bug. I tested many landers in different configuations, diferent build sequence, diferent pre-landing procedures,

diferent approach geometry, diferent planets/moons, restarts/reboots ...    

.... and ...

I have ONE ship which works ... and all its next-to-kin modifications actually do open gear (the landing code works OK),

however

if I build THE SAME ship again from begining.(20x).. those (all) fail to open gear on autoland.

It looks like MECHJEB doesnt see the landing gear.

In addition - Yes ... my MECHJEB also have sometimes "stupid idaes" to fly away or miss the picked target by faaaar

Edited by KUBA71

1 hour ago, Gorby1 said:

It's working wonderfully for me, with two exceptions; the inclination burn does fine, the de-orbit burn does fine, but when using auto-warp after the de-orbit burn on the way to the braking burn the warp speed goes up to 5x and then immediately down to 1x, then back to 5x, over and over again until the the braking burn begins. I workaround this issue by always starting from an orbit in "low space" of the planet/moon, just below the boundary for "high space" (i.e. on the Mun I start from a 58km orbit). When starting from such an orbit the warping almost always works flawlessly during the descent.

I was in equatorial orbit over Minmus at 12 km--not the highest altitude, but not the lowest I've used MechJeb for either. By all accounts the landing burn and descent manuever fine, it just has no idea how to get to a simple point indicated (or just ignores it), missing it by +100 km. It knows that it's wrong, it just doesn't factor that into the initial de-orbit burn. 

I'm playing a career, so I haven't had anywhere else to test it yet. The problem seems very widely reported though, so I wouldn't be optimistic, I guess it's manual landings for me now. Considering rendezvous launch has never worked well in MJ (not unless I manually input phase data myself), I'm going to assume that's more or less the same. 

54 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

I was in equatorial orbit over Minmus at 12 km--not the highest altitude, but not the lowest I've used MechJeb for either. By all accounts the landing burn and descent manuever fine, it just has no idea how to get to a simple point indicated (or just ignores it), missing it by +100 km. It knows that it's wrong, it just doesn't factor that into the initial de-orbit burn. 

I'm playing a career, so I haven't had anywhere else to test it yet. The problem seems very widely reported though, so I wouldn't be optimistic, I guess it's manual landings for me now. Considering rendezvous launch has never worked well in MJ (not unless I manually input phase data myself), I'm going to assume that's more or less the same. 

I guess I'm just lucky? A few days ago I used MJ landing guidance to land at one of Minmus' anomalies starting from a 29km orbit (high space starts at 30km on Minmus) and it worked great - landed within 50m of the anomaly. I'm using KSP 1.3.1 and dev version #747 of MJ, in addition to nearly 50 other mods.

I've found the sweet spot to be around 30 km to get a consistent close landing spot from Mechjeb. Honestly at this point it works more as a monitored flight, landing and docking assistant than a fully automated independent pilot. Still extremely useful, as I let Mechjeb set up my basic approach and then heavily tweak it and maybe grab control for the final approach. Admittedly that works better for high space maneuvers and docking -- for landing I just set up the approach to give MJ as simple a solution as possible.

Oh, and yeah that "G" key workaround has been a thing for a few versions now for me.

A small question not directly to MechJeb. I install KSP 1.3.1 and latest edition of Mechjeb. Than I try to install Mechjeb and Engineer for all mode linked in first post of this thread but it doesn't work (before 1.3 it works fine). Have you any idea how to change the cfg file to update this mod for latest versions of KSP and Mechjeb? Thanks a lot.

Finally :D got some repeatable and consistent results on landing  with "Deploy Landing gear" active 

In order to make it work the landing vessel MUST have an engine class as its root part.

It is independent of active stage, build sequence, pre-activation procedure, root engine activation...etc..

Just build Your lander and as a final step mark "an engine" on landing vessel as root part.

And ... it works.  The engine does not need to be active or faceing the right direction ... just be a root part of the lander.

(Ref configuration 1.3.1.1891 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us // MechJeb #748 Sarbian / v2.6.1.0)

"FLY SAFE"

Edited by KUBA71

7 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

I guess I'm just lucky? A few days ago I used MJ landing guidance to land at one of Minmus' anomalies starting from a 29km orbit (high space starts at 30km on Minmus) and it worked great - landed within 50m of the anomaly. I'm using KSP 1.3.1 and dev version #747 of MJ, in addition to nearly 50 other mods.

Well, I'll give it a try at 30 km orbit. Not expecting any changes. 

EDIT: At 30 km, it deorbited me on literally the other side of the moon from my requested landing. So not an improvement. Though I guess I could try inputing in the wrong coordinates and hope I get the right ones. 

Huh, I wonder if MechJeb is just no longer capable of landing at a 180 degree inclination instead of a 0 degree inclination. 

Edited by Synthesis

Just curious - [I did read back a few posts and I didn't read anything related]  with dev release #747 , the autostage doesn't behave like it used to.  Well, it will only stage the decouplers and doesn't seem to see that there is an engine that needs to be staged.

Is there something that I should check.

Thanks,

My only problems with a landing by MJ were, when I had wrongly placed engines (skycrane) and they were partialy ocluded by other parts underneath. There was relatively big distance between engines and these parts, but KSP interpreted it as occlusion which influence thrust. When I placed engines outside of all parts, then landings were once again spot on.

Edited by maja

13 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Well, I'll give it a try at 30 km orbit. Not expecting any changes. 

EDIT: At 30 km, it deorbited me on literally the other side of the moon from my requested landing. So not an improvement. Though I guess I could try inputing in the wrong coordinates and hope I get the right ones. 

Huh, I wonder if MechJeb is just no longer capable of landing at a 180 degree inclination instead of a 0 degree inclination. 

Now that's something to consider - I never enter a reverse orbit on any of the moons and planets, I always do a "regular" orbit... as in, if you were floating above the north pole looking down on the planet then my orbit would be counter-clockwise. Also, how do you select your target? I manually input the landing coordinates into the landing guidance window after getting them from a SCANsat map. The way you select targets may be the difference, not to say that you're doing something wrong but it could be a problem with the way the game and/or mod interprets your selection.

13 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Just curious - [I did read back a few posts and I didn't read anything related]  with dev release #747 , the autostage doesn't behave like it used to.  Well, it will only stage the decouplers and doesn't seem to see that there is an engine that needs to be staged.

Is there something that I should check.

Thanks,

Known issue for a few versions, I think -- at least for me.

Workarounds: 1) Some have reported that putting the decoupler and the engine in the same group in the staging list works, although that doesn't allow any pause between firing the engine and staging, and 2) watching the launch and tapping spacebar at the appropriate times.

33 minutes ago, Mandella said:

Known issue for a few versions, I think -- at least for me.

Workarounds: 1) Some have reported that putting the decoupler and the engine in the same group in the staging list works, although that doesn't allow any pause between firing the engine and staging, and 2) watching the launch and tapping spacebar at the appropriate times.

okay.. yes!  That is what I have been doing as a work around.  Thanks as, I thought I did something wrong.  again. :)

6 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

Now that's something to consider - I never enter a reverse orbit on any of the moons and planets, I always do a "regular" orbit... as in, if you were floating above the north pole looking down on the planet then my orbit would be counter-clockwise. Also, how do you select your target? I manually input the landing coordinates into the landing guidance window after getting them from a SCANsat map. The way you select targets may be the difference, not to say that you're doing something wrong but it could be a problem with the way the game and/or mod interprets your selection.

I described that poorly: I use the in-system "select your landing point on the orbital map" tool, then I make small adjustments to the coordinates. Not that i think it matters. 

I have discovered a problem with the Docking autopilot. 

It seems that MechJeb is kinda drunk with the RCS. Seems to be trying to dock, and overdoing burns and failing to correct them. Seems to be made worse in Target mode, and it goes super slowly in RCS balancer.

Will get logs as soon as I can.

2 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

I have discovered a problem with the Docking autopilot. 

It seems that MechJeb is kinda drunk with the RCS. Seems to be trying to dock, and overdoing burns and failing to correct them. Seems to be made worse in Target mode, and it goes super slowly in RCS balancer.

Will get logs as soon as I can.

there's two of us with an issue posted on github about it too. with logs

Edited by Commissar

Just tested new build 749 on LANDING GUIDANCE>DEPLOY LANDING GEAR

and

the bug remains... landing gear opens ONLY if Engine is the root part (again).

otherwise it fails to open gear on "autoland."

Hopeing for next build to be reapired :)

Greetings all,

So I've added the latest Dev version, and am finding I'm having some problems with landing. I set a particular target (often a flag on a moon), and the approach trajectory trails quite a bit behind the target, meaning I'm landing well off. Which is a bit of an issue, seeing as I'm trying to set up a refueling base.

I'm running MechJeb2-2.6.1.0-749, so if it's something I'm not doing right, please let me know. If needed, I can provide the logs as soon as I remember where to find them. I am also running New Horizons mod if that's possibly an issue, but I know that it managed to land on the target in the first place when I first found the site. Potentially an issue with taking landing coordinates from flags? Furthermore, the first landing I did was a manned ship, whereas the other ones are using drones.

Cheers,

Edited by Messernacht

3 hours ago, Messernacht said:

I'm running MechJeb2-2.6.1.0-749, so if it's something I'm not doing right, please let me know. If needed, I can provide the logs as soon as I remember where to find them.

On a Windows machine, they're called output_log.txt (which you can search for) and they're located in the KSP_Data (for 32 bit KSP) and KSP_x64_Data (64 bit) folders.

On 11/3/2017 at 3:22 AM, Gorby1 said:

I've tried landings on a marked spot from both a 180 and 0 degree inclination. Same issue in both directions. I did however end up much closer, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, when I tried to land from 40km. Only missed my landing point by 2 km as opposed to half a moon.

Can someone provide me with the GitHub link for posting logs?

Edited by Messernacht

15 hours ago, KUBA71 said:

Just tested new build 749 on LANDING GUIDANCE>DEPLOY LANDING GEAR

and

the bug remains... landing gear opens ONLY if Engine is the root part (again).

otherwise it fails to open gear on "autoland."

Hopeing for next build to be reapired :)

Nothing in the change log for 749 seemed to reference anything about landing fixes. So I would expect there was no change.

6 hours ago, Messernacht said:

I've tried landings on a marked spot from both a 180 and 0 degree inclination. Same issue in both directions. I did however end up much closer, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, when I tried to land from 40km. Only missed my landing point by 2 km as opposed to half a moon.

Can someone provide me with the GitHub link for posting logs?

The other night I was landing a manned lander on Moho and the Landing Guidance tried to land me 100km past the target, so... I just don't know anymore. This was a different lander than the one I usually use and it seemed to behave differently than usual from the moment I clicked 'Land at target'. It was able to change to the correct inclination but there was lots of wobbling while burning, not warping when it normally would, and passing over the target landing site at an altitude around 30km with a status of "warping to braking burn". I'm going to try different landers and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: issue reporting info from OP - "If your bugs don't seems to be fixed then please open a new ticket on the project tracker. Don't forget to include a link to your log (see here to find it and how to share it) and the version of Mechjeb you where using (shown in MechJeb Menu)."

Edited by Gorby1